Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Has any school dominated a conference by winning it four major championships ?
NoDak Online
All American

I Root For: UND
Has any school dominated a conference by winning it four major championships ?
Trying to get an historical perspective on this. Has any school won all of its conferences major team championships in the same year?

Know this is not a big national story, but UND has won the regular season championships of fb, vb, mbb, and wbb, the main spectators sports in the Big Sky, all in this school year. That hasn't been done in Big Sky history, even when Boise St, Nevada, and Idaho were members. Granted, shared the fb title with E Wash and share wbb with Montana St and those UND teams weren't dominating games except vb.

Would think that Florida, Ohio St, Oklahoma, UCLA, and maybe N Carolina and Louisville have done something similar. Feel free to substitute another sport like baseball for vb.

Those four sports aren't even UND's main revenue sport, which is the reigning national championship hockey team. Many of those teams are sophomore dominated, so we should be dominant for some more years at the mid-major level.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 12:11 AM by NoDak.)
03-05-2017 09:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
RE: Has any school dominated a conference by winning it four major championships ?
If using those 4 sports (FB, VB, MBB, and WBB), Missouri State came close twice.

1989-90, Football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball champions, Volleyball third place
1990-91, Football, Women's Basketball, Volleyball champions, Men's basketball second place
03-05-2017 09:41 PM
NoDak Online
All American

RE: Has any school dominated a conference by winning it four major championships ?
(03-05-2017 09:41 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  If using those 4 sports (FB, VB, MBB, and WBB), Missouri State came close twice.

1989-90, Football, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball champions, Volleyball third place
1990-91, Football, Women's Basketball, Volleyball champions, Men's basketball second place

The FB at Mo St is most surprising. Has Wichita St had been a four-plex conference, substituting baseball for football?
03-05-2017 09:48 PM
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(03-05-2017 09:48 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(03-05-2017 09:41 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  If using those 4 sports (FB, VB, MBB, and WBB), Missouri State came close twice.

The FB at Mo St is most surprising. Has Wichita St had been a four-plex conference, substituting baseball for football?

Football program actually was pretty decent up until 2005. Normally a middle of a pack program, 6-5 or 5-6 team. Those were our last two I-AA playoff teams.

I doubt it. Wichita State had some lean years in the 90s.
03-05-2017 10:00 PM

DavidSt Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ATU, P7
I know Arkansas Tech won championships in football, men's basketball, women's basketball and baseball. Tech came close a few times in football in the NAIA, won several NAIA baseball championship, came close in the men's basketball playoffs, and won the NAIA women;s basketball championship in 1991-1992 which is one of the years the baseball team won. That is how good the Tech's athletics been at all levels.
03-05-2017 10:36 PM
CyclonePower Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Iowa State
2012 KState won baseball, tied for Football, and tied for basketball.
03-05-2017 10:51 PM
NoDak Online
All American

Maybe the FCOA helps more than thought. UND is the only FCS Big Sky school that offers it to all scholarship athletes.
03-06-2017 01:24 AM

dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
In the 2006-07 school year, Ohio State was the regular season Big Ten champion in football, men's basketball, women's basketball, and baseball, but the women's basketball team finished second in the Big Ten tournament. A professor I worked for told me that when he was a student at the University of Utah (which I think was sometime in the 1970's), that the Utes had been regular season champions in those four sports as well.
03-06-2017 03:56 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
This is a great topic. The kind of thing to discuss during the summer, after baseball ends; waiting for football practice to start. I am going to enjoy following this.
CJ
03-06-2017 06:42 AM
MplsBison Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(03-05-2017 09:12 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Know this is not a big national story, but UND has won the regular season championships of fb, vb, mbb, and wbb, the main spectators sports in the Big Sky, all in this school year.

Enjoy it! You won't see that kind of success in the Summit & MVFC. 03-thumbsup

(03-06-2017 01:24 AM)NoDak Wrote:  Maybe the FCOA helps more than thought. UND is the only FCS Big Sky school that offers it to all scholarship athletes.

That argument could only work if the majority of your players were coming from the areas that the regular Big Sky teams recruit. I doubt it.

Guessing the majority of your starting 22 in fball, top 6-7 minute players in bball's, and top 6 minute players in vball are coming from the Dakotas, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. As much as you like to think and say otherwise. (you especially love to talk up Canadian players, I know)

Well, that will just keep increasing as you start playing the Dakota 4 in every sport, every season. As that's where those teams mainly recruit.
03-06-2017 12:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.