Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

My Final MAC Power Rankings
Bookmark and Share
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
My Final MAC Power Rankings
EMU could be dangerous in this tourney, and I would not bet the farm on BSU living up to its seed. Final offensive and defensive production/efficiency rankings and quality of win index rankings in parenthesis.

[Image: finalMACrankings.png]
03-04-2017 04:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
RE: My Final MAC Power Rankings
Seeing EMU at #2 discredits this entire index

Akron is the clear favorite in the MAC Tourney with Ohio and Kent St as proven winners in Cleveland to be the main contenders. Ball St is the sleeper team along with red hot Western. UB could be in the finals but I'm not seeing a overall winner.

Expect early exits from Miami, NIU, Central, Toledo, BG and your #2 rated EMU
03-04-2017 05:11 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(03-04-2017 05:11 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  Seeing EMU at #2 discredits this entire index

Akron is the clear favorite in the MAC Tourney with Ohio and Kent St as proven winners in Cleveland to be the main contenders. Ball St is the sleeper team along with red hot Western. UB could be in the finals but I'm not seeing a overall winner.

Expect early exits from Miami, NIU, Central, Toledo, BG and your #2 rated EMU

Top 6 regardless of seed

Akron
Western
Ohio
Buffalo
Ball
Eastern/Kent

(Top 4 all have coaches who previously advanced to NCAA Tournament)
03-04-2017 05:31 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
People can't let go of Eastern.
03-04-2017 05:50 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-04-2017 05:50 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  People can't let go of Eastern.

Besides their win loss record their metrics are almost the best in the conference. Potential is certainly there for them
03-04-2017 05:55 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(03-04-2017 05:55 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  
(03-04-2017 05:50 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  People can't let go of Eastern.

Besides their win loss record their metrics are almost the best in the conference. Potential is certainly there for them

Potential and a $1will get you a cup of coffee. When you base a rating on "potential" as opposed to "you have one of the worst records in the conference" you're ratings have 0 validity. Ratings must ultimately have some credibility as a predictor or they serve no purpose.
03-04-2017 06:21 PM
JSF Offline
Rich, Good Looking, Has a Rapist Wit

I Root For: World Peace
lololololololololololololololol
03-04-2017 06:54 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
Can we lock this thread, just the for the shear stupidity of it??
03-04-2017 08:21 PM
hilltopper Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Akron Zips
Hey, Ray Lee dropped 50 the other night. That clearly makes them the favorite. 03-shhhh
03-04-2017 08:29 PM
Advertisement

San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: il Rockets
The MAC Championship is wide open this year. Anybody could win it... well maybe not Miami.
03-04-2017 08:29 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(03-04-2017 08:29 PM)San Giuseppe Jato Rocket Wrote:  The MAC Championship is wide open this year. Anybody could win it... well maybe not Miami.

But you have to admit EMU should be the favorite.
03-04-2017 08:42 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
I'll say it again- 4 of 15 wins(27%) for EMU were vs NAIA teams. Stats = inflated. The second best team in the league cannot be 11-16 vs D1 opponents.
03-04-2017 09:07 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

(03-04-2017 09:07 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  I'll say it again- 4 of 15 wins(27%) for EMU were vs NAIA teams. Stats = inflated. The second best team in the league cannot be 11-16 vs D1 opponents.

One interesting thing about EMU looking at KenPom's luck stat. He has EMU as 345. I am guessing the Luck stat has to mean how above or below they are playing in terms of wins/losses compared to other metrics. It is highly anomalous for a team with the metrics that EMU has to have the record they have. Just watching EMU, when they are clicking on all cylinders I still think they might be the best team in the conference.
03-04-2017 10:10 PM
Advertisement

pennies4everybody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball U
BSU is 7-1 on the season against West teams "ranked" ahead of them. But whatevs....

Things learned today (and through this entire season based on these "rankings"): Wins and losses against teams are of no consequence if their metrics say otherwise. SMDH
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2017 11:01 AM by pennies4everybody.)
03-05-2017 10:53 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
Only 1 of EMU losses in conference play was by 5 points or less so its not like the games they are losing are coming down to the final shot. They padded their metrics by running the score up in 3-4 games against bad competition. Other than those games I don't see anything impressive about their schedule whatsoever. Personally, I feel the better indicator for how they are as a team is how they performed in the other 14-15 games instead of the 3-4 outlier games.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2017 12:25 PM by kreed5120.)
03-05-2017 12:18 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(03-05-2017 12:18 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Only 1 of EMU losses in conference play was by 5 points or less so its not like the games they are losing are coming down to the final shot. They padded their metrics by running the score up in 3-4 games against bad competition. Other than those games I don't see anything impressive about their schedule whatsoever. Personally, I feel the better indicator for how they are as a team is how they performed in the other 14-15 games instead of the 3-4 outlier games.
Let's see how a downward NIU team can handle them.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
03-06-2017 09:19 AM
OUVan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ohio Bobcats
(03-04-2017 10:10 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  One interesting thing about EMU looking at KenPom's luck stat. He has EMU as 345. I am guessing the Luck stat has to mean how above or below they are playing in terms of wins/losses compared to other metrics. It is highly anomalous for a team with the metrics that EMU has to have the record they have. Just watching EMU, when they are clicking on all cylinders I still think they might be the best team in the conference.

Perhaps it's time to look at intangibles. Eastern is a team of knuckleheads. Not sure where to find stats on technical fouls but going into their last game they had been called for 23 techs.

And maybe it's time to look at the metrics formula when it has a team that has an 11-16 overall D1 record (no wins over teams in the top 125 rpi) and a 2-10 record against teams with a .500 or above record in the MAC, shown as your 2nd best team. They've essentially got one good win under their belt this year and it just so happens to be the game where the reigning MAC POTY got hurt and played only 3 minutes. And let me know when that game where they were "clicking on all cylinders" happened. I'm going to guess is was one of their two games against Central. It certainly hasn't happened against a team that played a lick of defense.
03-06-2017 11:02 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-05-2017 12:18 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  Only 1 of EMU losses in conference play was by 5 points or less so its not like the games they are losing are coming down to the final shot. They padded their metrics by running the score up in 3-4 games against bad competition. Other than those games I don't see anything impressive about their schedule whatsoever. Personally, I feel the better indicator for how they are as a team is how they performed in the other 14-15 games instead of the 3-4 outlier games.

I'm not sure.

EMU lost one game by double digits (TOL). Lost the rest by 11 points or less.

On the flip side of the coin, 5 of the 7 conference wins have been blow outs. They do have two wins vs. Ohio and WMU, quality wins within conference against 11 win teams.

I would think that this suggests like the Kenpom 'luck bit' that EMU might be better than their conference record.

I'd think that is an easy case to make...
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 11:43 AM by emu steve.)
03-06-2017 11:41 AM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
EMU is a huge disappointment this year. Great talent will only get you so far when the coaches fail to make any adjustments based on what the opponents are doing. They should be #9 on this list.
03-06-2017 12:00 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(03-06-2017 11:41 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

I'm not sure.

EMU lost one game by double digits (TOL). Lost the rest by 11 points or less.

On the flip side of the coin, 5 of the 7 conference wins have been blow outs. They do have two wins vs. Ohio and WMU, quality wins within conference against 11 win teams.

I would think that this suggests like the Kenpom 'luck bit' that EMU might be better than their conference record.

I'd think that is an easy case to make...

Beating 15-15 WMU, who padded their record by playing in the lesser division, isn't a quality win. EMU has shown the ability to run up the score on the doormats of the MAC. They haven't shown the ability to consistently compete with the "Big Boys".

Edit: They went a combined 4-0 against Miami, CMU, and BG combining for 4 of your 5 stated blow outs. They went 3-11 against everyone else.
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 12:43 PM by kreed5120.)
03-06-2017 12:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.