Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

With Superconferences in Basketball, the AAC has no choice but to adjust
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
There is talk the ACC is going to get a record number of bids this year.
It wouldn't be all that surprising given they expanded with basketball as a heavy consideration.
The Original Big East was the first basketball superconference, and the ACC wanted the throne.
I don't think the NBE is even a gnat in the thought process of Aresco and the Presidents in their considering expanding with Wichita, VCU, and/or Dayton.
The AAC wants to keep pace with the huge 14/15 team (super) basketball conferences and their growing monopoly on the at-large bids.
Adding the 3 would not only bring in 3 strong programs, but it would quicken the growth of our 'bottom tier' which is already making strides (for the most part) with new coaches.
Football post-season is fundamentally different than basketball, and isn't so reliant on the synergy of the group. In fact it can be better for 1 strong program to emerge in football.
14 is a significant number for this conference in basketball, in its aspirations to create value (and a spot at the table) in March. The AAC needs to be in the discussion for the most bids.
This would be a timely move.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 12:31 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-03-2017 09:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
RE: With Superconferences in Basketball, the AAC has no choice but to adjust
(03-03-2017 09:32 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  There is talk the ACC is going to get a record number of bids this year.
It wouldn't be all that surprising given they expanded with basketball as a heavy consideration.
The Original Big East was the first basketball superconference, and the ACC wanted the throne.
I don't think the NBE is even a gnat in the thought process of Aresco and the President in their considering expanding with Wichita, VCU, and/or Dayton.
The AAC wants to keep pace with the huge 14/15 team (super) basketball conferences and their growing monopoly on the at-large bids.
Adding the 3 would not only bring in 3 strong programs, but it would quicken the growth of our 'bottom tier' which is already making strides (for the most part) with new coaches.
Football post-season is fundamentally different than basketball, and isn't so reliant on the synergy of the group. In fact it can be better for 1 strong program to emerge in football.
14 is a significant number for this conference in basketball, in its aspirations to create value (and a spot at the table) in March. The AAC needs to be in the discussion for the most bids.
This would be a timely move.

Lunardi spoke of this after the UC game last night and specifically pointed to the down years of the AAC and the A-10 for allowing more P5 middling teams getting in the tourney.
03-03-2017 10:17 AM
Indiana Bones Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
Strength in numbers. No one ever takes it in to consideration how many teams are in the conference. They only look at how many teams make it to the dance. If we add 3 (or even 5) more quality bball members it will intrinsically and exponentially increase the chances of getting more teams in & thus increase our national perception. We might only can afford to take 3 right now because we need to keep a few spots open for 2 more potential full members. I would support VCU, WSU, & Dayton which are the best candidates but even teams like St. Louis, St. Joseph (despite their underwhelming recent performance and if Temple acquiesced), and even Davidson wouldn't be awful candidates. That said, if it were up to me we would snag VCU, WSU & Dayton now and then still save room for a few more full members.
03-03-2017 11:49 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
Jon Rothstein‏
Verified account

Given how soft the bubble is this year, any team that reaches 9-9 in ACC play should be a lock for NCAAs. 8-10 mark would depend on resume.

Jon Rothstein‏
Verified account

Eight ACC programs look like locks for the field while three others -- Syracuse, GT, & Wake Forest -- remain right on bubble. Here. We. Go.
03-03-2017 12:00 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(03-03-2017 11:49 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Strength in numbers. No one ever takes it in to consideration how many teams are in the conference. They only look at how many teams make it to the dance. If we add 3 (or even 5) more quality bball members it will intrinsically and exponentially increase the chances of getting more teams in & thus increase our national perception. We might only can afford to take 3 right now because we need to keep a few spots open for 2 more potential full members. I would support VCU, WSU, & Dayton which are the best candidates but even teams like St. Louis, St. Joseph (despite their underwhelming recent performance and if Temple acquiesced), and even Davidson wouldn't be awful candidates. That said, if it were up to me we would snag VCU, WSU & Dayton now and then still save room for a few more full members.

If the original Big East had stayed together, it would have won 2 of the last 3 National Championships (UConn and Nova).

[Image: f65ec6941d6144eb859c147feb4cf071.jpg]

Both conferences that resulted (AAC and NBE) have accomplished some pretty impressive feats but not like they would have together.

This expansion allows the AAC to get back into the mix with the top basketball conferences without diluting the football brand. With the growth we've seen with the new coaches in this conference, these three teams would help take us back to that level.

Wichita State, VCU, and/or Dayton would make the AAC better and the AAC would make them better. Recruiting would ratchet up for everyone. ESPN's love would grow with the compelling matchups.

There IS strength in numbers.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 07:12 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-03-2017 07:06 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(03-03-2017 07:06 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 11:49 AM)Indiana Bones Wrote:  Strength in numbers. No one ever takes it in to consideration how many teams are in the conference. They only look at how many teams make it to the dance. If we add 3 (or even 5) more quality bball members it will intrinsically and exponentially increase the chances of getting more teams in & thus increase our national perception. We might only can afford to take 3 right now because we need to keep a few spots open for 2 more potential full members. I would support VCU, WSU, & Dayton which are the best candidates but even teams like St. Louis, St. Joseph (despite their underwhelming recent performance and if Temple acquiesced), and even Davidson wouldn't be awful candidates. That said, if it were up to me we would snag VCU, WSU & Dayton now and then still save room for a few more full members.

If the original Big East had stayed together, it would have won 2 of the last 3 National Championships (UConn and Nova).

[Image: f65ec6941d6144eb859c147feb4cf071.jpg]

Both conferences that resulted (AAC and NBE) have accomplished some pretty impressive feats but not like they would have together.

This expansion allows the AAC to get back into the mix with the top basketball conferences without diluting the football brand. With the growth we've seen with the new coaches in this conference, these three teams would help take us back to that level.

Wichita State, VCU, and/or Dayton would make the AAC better and the AAC would make them better. Recruiting would ratchet up for everyone. ESPN's love would grow with the compelling matchups.

There IS strength in numbers.

I do agree with that. Iron sharpens iron. Given our level of exposure---I think it could be something similar to the Big East---and certainly better than the old Metro Conference.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 08:28 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-03-2017 08:27 PM
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
I think adding 3 strong programs would help you guys a lot.

Right now, there's basically a 50-50 split between strong programs--UConn, Memphis, Cincy, Temple and SMU (for now) and the others--Houston, Tulsa, UCF, USF, ECU, Tulane. (Some of those are competitive now, but none of them are tournament regulars or top 25 teams.) Adding WSU, Dayton and VCU moves that ratio from 5/11 to 8/14. That's a much better place to be. That also moves the AAC from about 3 bids a year to around 5 bids a year.
03-03-2017 10:57 PM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
This certainly has gotten a lot of people talking..

It looks like there is a bit of consternation in NBE & MWC circles about what the AAC is doing, and what their conferences should be doing. This just came out in MWC media.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2017/3/4/14810878/american-athletic-conference-is-considering-wichita-state-where-is-the-mountain-west

The American Athletic Conference is considering Wichita State; where is the Mountain West?

The AAC and Wichita State are reportedly talking about joining together. Why is the Mountain West on the sidelines?

by Jeremy Mauss

[Image: 1*VjgUljfo93U1KAwj4wL3PA.jpeg]

"Craig Thompson needs to get on the phone with Wichita State and see what deal he can make with the Shockers because getting this type of program to join the Mountain West could be the kick starter the league needs to move back into the national spotlight."
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2017 05:33 PM by BigEastHomer.)
03-06-2017 05:31 PM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
Better chance of the Mtn. West grabbing BYU than the Shockers
03-06-2017 09:38 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN
I should've never clicked on this thread. Everything posted in this thread is at best conjecture and at worst a huge steaming pile of monkey crap.
03-06-2017 11:23 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
We should stop thinking about and add Wichita already. No brainer.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 02:16 AM by Kronke.)
03-07-2017 02:16 AM
Advertisement

Phil Lacio Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ghetto State U.
(03-06-2017 11:23 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  I should've never clicked on this thread. Everything posted in this thread is at best conjecture and at worst a huge steaming pile of monkey crap.

Agree 100%; beh is the biggest moron on Earth and this is a typical moronic Homer thread.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 03:32 PM by Phil Lacio.)
03-07-2017 04:32 AM
Puckhead48E Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
Here, I'll fix this crappy thread.

The AAC destroyed UCONN basketball because it's the worst conference and because Aresco wants to destroy UCONN basketball. Adding any teams will directly make UCONN worse and is a vast conspiracy to destroy their vaunted program which should be hallowed across the land.

There...fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-07-2017 07:24 AM
Phil Lacio Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ghetto State U.
(03-07-2017 07:24 AM)Puckhead48E Wrote:  Here, I'll fix this crappy thread.

You can't fix a homer...crappy thread, crappy homer...
03-07-2017 10:28 AM
rabidTU2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa Univ
(03-06-2017 05:31 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  This certainly has gotten a lot of people talking..

It looks like there is a bit of consternation in NBE & MWC circles about what the AAC is doing, and what their conferences should be doing. This just came out in MWC media.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/2017/3/4/14810878/american-athletic-conference-is-considering-wichita-state-where-is-the-mountain-west

The American Athletic Conference is considering Wichita State; where is the Mountain West?

The AAC and Wichita State are reportedly talking about joining together. Why is the Mountain West on the sidelines?

by Jeremy Mauss

"Craig Thompson needs to get on the phone with Wichita State and see what deal he can make with the Shockers because getting this type of program to join the Mountain West could be the kick starter the league needs to move back into the national spotlight."

Good find. BTW all 5 starters return for the Shockers next year. So its obvious they should be in the tournament again in 2017-18. If WSU is invited soon, they will ignore the MWC.
03-07-2017 02:02 PM
Stickboy46 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Wichita State
(03-07-2017 02:02 PM)rabidTU2 Wrote:  
(03-06-2017 05:31 PM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  This certainly has gotten a lot of people talking..

by Jeremy Mauss

Good find. BTW all 5 starters return for the Shockers next year. So its obvious they should be in the tournament again in 2017-18. If WSU is invited soon, they will ignore the MWC.

A point of clarification. WSU rotates 10-11 this year. All 11 return next year. There are 2 seniors, 1 is a walk-on, the other only received a scholarship at the beginning of the after another team member left for personal reason. So WSU is losing ZERO rotation players and add a 7 footer from Denmark plus a JUCO all-American guard.

WSU will not only be a tourney team next year, they will be a pre-season Top 15ish team.
03-07-2017 02:22 PM
Advertisement

BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
This was in another thread but adding Wichita, VCU, and Dayton, would put the AAC in very good stead with the other conferences. Here's the comparison.

http://shockernet.net/forum/showthread.p...post709527
03-07-2017 04:39 PM
DefCONNOne Offline
That damn MLS!!

I Root For: UCONN

The AAC destroyed UCONN basketball because it's the worst conference and because Aresco wants to destroy UCONN basketball. Adding any teams will directly make UCONN worse and is a vast conspiracy to destroy their vaunted program which should be hallowed across the land.

There...fixed it.

If you really want to "fix it" then NOT inviting any bball only schools will do it. More schools = no additional money.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2017 04:44 PM by DefCONNOne.)
03-07-2017 04:44 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(03-07-2017 04:44 PM)DefCONNOne Wrote:  

There...fixed it.

If you really want to "fix it" then NOT inviting any bball only schools will do it. More schools = no additional money.
Fix it by playing more competitive MBB
03-07-2017 04:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
I registered on Shocker.net

looks like a good group of folks and I look fwd to talking with them about this

I'll be over there as Bearcats#1 if ya'll want to join me.

Edit: Not going over to troll...I respect the heck out of WSU and hope they get into the AAC.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2017 07:27 AM by Bearcats#1.)
03-08-2017 07:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.