Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Steve Taylor Jr.
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Steve Taylor Jr.
I know there has been a lot of talk on this Board this season about the play of Steve Taylor Jr. Despite his flaws (foul shooting, turnover issues, etc), you cannot dispute the fact that for one season, he has had as good of year as any Power Forward has had in Rocket History. With our lack of inside presence other than Luke Knapke on occasion, we have relied on Taylor Jr. to be our only low post scorer and control the boards which he has done remarkably on a game by game basis. While it has not translated into a Winning Season, I do not think you can fault Taylor Jr. for that. Can anyone remember a Power Forward at Toledo or any other Team in the MAC that has been a "double, double" machine as much as Taylor Jr. has been this season?
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 10:20 AM by Basketball Jones.)
03-01-2017 10:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
RE: Steve Taylor Jr.
I'd have to go all the way back to last year at UT to find one as good. I suppose we could argue that Booth played center, but his game was really more power forward. He did more things than Taylor (jump shooting, free throws, blocked shots) but prior to that it's hard to think of anyone else that has played that role as well. Mix comes to mind, another"post" player who really wasn't but that's way back. Taylor was definitely a pleasant surprise. As far as in the MAC, Gary Trent wasn't bad. Part of the problem is MAC definitions of PFs and post players differ from ACC or PAC10 or big ten definitions. Johnson is a true post player but was OU's guy who was POY last year? Thompson is a true post player and probably Mark but Boothe, the OU guy and some others were equally likely to step outside and hit a cutter or nail a three. We definitely were blessed with Taylor, though-no other one year guy has come close to his impact.
03-01-2017 11:21 AM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
And just because other teams have found some effective ways to defend him lately doesn't take away from what he has contributed. If you think about, last season down the stretch, teams also did what they could to take Boothe out of his game.
03-01-2017 11:57 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Basketball players should make free throws period. I agree with his impact that it is mostly positive but 1 more free throw a game would have kept us out of those overtime games
03-01-2017 01:04 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(03-01-2017 01:04 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Basketball players should make free throws period. I agree with his impact that it is mostly positive but 1 more free throw a game would have kept us out of those overtime games

He looked like Calvin Murphy last night.
03-01-2017 01:40 PM
inductchuck16 Offline
Heisman

(03-01-2017 01:04 PM)indianasniff Wrote:  Basketball players should make free throws period. I agree with his impact that it is mostly positive but 1 more free throw a game would have kept us out of those overtime games

I certainly appreciate Steve Taylor's contributions to the Toledo Rockets basketball program. Glad he decided to transfer here, he should have came to Toledo to begin with. He's proven his worth, no doubt...but I simply don't understand his horrendous free throw shooting.
03-01-2017 05:56 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

Steve Taylor Jr.
(03-01-2017 05:56 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

I certainly appreciate Steve Taylor's contributions to the Toledo Rockets basketball program. Glad he decided to transfer here, he should have came to Toledo to begin with. He's proven his worth, no doubt...but I simply don't understand his horrendous free throw shooting.

Almost seems he'd be more accurate taking a jump shot than taking the flat footed free throw. Wonder why he doesn't try that.
03-01-2017 08:17 PM
Advertisement

Screwball Offline
All American

My hat is off to Steve Taylor Jr.

I also wonder where the team would be with a healthy Garber. Two guys in the paint with some meat, and two seniors.
03-01-2017 09:02 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(03-01-2017 08:17 PM)adunifon Wrote:  
(03-01-2017 05:56 PM)inductchuck16 Wrote:  

Almost seems he'd be more accurate taking a jump shot than taking the flat footed free throw. Wonder why he doesn't try that.

Hal Greer!
03-01-2017 09:03 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

(03-01-2017 10:19 AM)Basketball Jones Wrote:  I know there has been a lot of talk on this Board this season about the play of Steve Taylor Jr. Despite his flaws (foul shooting, turnover issues, etc), you cannot dispute the fact that for one season, he has had as good of year as any Power Forward has had in Rocket History. With our lack of inside presence other than Luke Knapke on occasion, we have relied on Taylor Jr. to be our only low post scorer and control the boards which he has done remarkably on a game by game basis. While it has not translated into a Winning Season, I do not think you can fault Taylor Jr. for that. Can anyone remember a Power Forward at Toledo or any other Team in the MAC that has been a "double, double" machine as much as Taylor Jr. has been this season?
+1 it has been really enjoyable watching him this year too bad we don't have him 1 more year
03-01-2017 09:27 PM
Advertisement

Screwball Offline
All American

Steve's a legit 4 guy (and a good one) but he's forced to play the 5. Luke is too skinny to be a 5, and even a 4; he would be a 3 in a big time program.
03-01-2017 09:37 PM
Screwball Offline
All American

Interesting stat of the night.

RE: Rebounds.

If the current UT BB stats are up to date, and it appears they are. Rebounding average per game doesn't always tell the whole story.

The Beast gets a rebound a little over every 2 1/2 minutes. Taylor Adway gets one a tad over 4. Luke is about 4 3/4, and Lauf around 5 1/4.

Zach Garber a touch over 3 1/2. Ain't that a pisser?
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2017 11:17 PM by Screwball.)
03-01-2017 11:16 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Taylor has done a great job in a lot of ways at UT. Had an impact off the court, in practice and in games. I still think Boothe was a better player as a senior. Taylor is a better rebounder, low post scorer and passer. Boothe was a better mid range player, defender and outlet passer. Both could dribble and drive a bit and Boothe was more athletic by his senior year. Too bad we couldn't have had those 2 active at the same time. they would have been a nightmare to defend.
03-02-2017 01:55 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.