Very good Tiger mailbag by Mark G.
Bookmark and Share
Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers
Very good Tiger mailbag by Mark G.
http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sp...m=facebook

This blew me away:

"But Smith also hit a lull in recent years. Until he signed guard Jamal Johnson for the Tigers’ 2017 recruiting class, it had been six years since he snagged a player rated among the top 150 by recruiting services. Which, in retrospect, helps explain why he also doesn't have many NBA alumni of late."
02-28-2017 03:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

VinnieVegas Offline
Banned

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Very good Tiger mailbag by Mark G.
(02-28-2017 03:51 PM)Penny Lane Wrote:  http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sp...m=facebook

This blew me away:

"But Smith also hit a lull in recent years. Until he signed guard Jamal Johnson for the Tigers’ 2017 recruiting class, it had been six years since he snagged a player rated among the top 150 by recruiting services. Which, in retrospect, helps explain why he also doesn't have many NBA alumni of late."

I'm thinking the last guy was Dre Hollins too.
02-28-2017 03:53 PM
Smith Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
(02-28-2017 03:51 PM)Penny Lane Wrote:  http://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sp...m=facebook

This blew me away:

"I realize patience is wearing thin with some Memphis fans that aren’t accustomed to three-straight years without an NCAA tournament, but Smith is trying to build a foundation. He’s not looking for a quick fix."
02-28-2017 03:58 PM
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Like I said in another thread but was rebuked by a certain poster, the Nick Marshall stuff sounded like staff butthurt more than anything. Mark G says the same in his own words...burned bridges always being a keyword for butthurt.
02-28-2017 04:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BuccTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis / ETSU
(02-28-2017 04:01 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Like I said in another thread but was rebuked by a certain poster, the Nick Marshall stuff sounded like staff butthurt more than anything. Mark G says the same in his own words...burned bridges always being a keyword for butthurt.

If only you would have put your hand over the problem receptacle, we wouldn't have lost Marshall. Damn it Poop, get it together.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 04:27 PM by BuccTiger.)
02-28-2017 04:26 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-28-2017 04:01 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Like I said in another thread but was rebuked by a certain poster, the Nick Marshall stuff sounded like staff butthurt more than anything. Mark G says the same in his own words...burned bridges always being a keyword for butthurt.

Butthurt?

If you invite someone in your house and they steal your checkbook would you invite them in your house again. You probably wouldn't and that would be smart

I would say Marshall showed who he was and it is smart to stay away from him.
02-28-2017 04:43 PM
Advertisement

salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

I Root For: Space Mountain
(02-28-2017 04:43 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Butthurt?

If you invite someone in your house and they steal your checkbook would you invite them in your house again. You probably wouldn't and that would be smart

Nick Marshall stole Tubby's checkbook?

Weird.

And to think Cal was only worried about teams taking silverware.
02-28-2017 04:46 PM
HoopDreams Offline

(02-28-2017 04:46 PM)salukiblue Wrote:  

Butthurt?

Weird.

Stealing his checkbook is a long ways from not returning phone calls?
02-28-2017 04:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-28-2017 04:49 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

Butthurt?

Weird.

You show that you are not responsible are respectful and that is important to some people, also showed a lack of commitment.

Others don't care if you were accused of rape or stealing they are still going to recruit you.

To each his own.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 04:51 PM by macgar32.)
02-28-2017 04:50 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

Dont show up for your job or answer their calls when they call and see what happens.

I guess they would be considered butthurt as well.
02-28-2017 04:52 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

(02-28-2017 04:50 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-28-2017 04:49 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

Butthurt?

Weird.

You show that you are not responsible are respectful and that is important to some people, also showed a lack of commitment.

Others don't care if you were accused of rape or stealing they are still going to recruit you.

To each his own.

Too bad Marshall wasn't as good at basketball as Trevor Mbwake.
02-28-2017 04:56 PM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline

I think the main point is the staff holds grudges.
02-28-2017 05:01 PM
TubbyTime Offline
Banned

(02-28-2017 04:52 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Dont show up for your job or answer their calls when they call and see what happens.

Exactly. Why NM is being argued about is baffling.
02-28-2017 05:01 PM
HoopDreams Offline

(02-28-2017 05:01 PM)TubbyTime Wrote:  
(02-28-2017 04:52 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  Dont show up for your job or answer their calls when they call and see what happens.

The discussion isn't about NM per se.

It's about the pettiness of the current regime.
02-28-2017 05:02 PM
TubbyTime Offline
Banned

(02-28-2017 05:02 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

I'd suggest taking it up with the staff. You could go to Tubby's weekly radio show and respectfully pull him aside and ask as many accusation type questions as you want. Tubby seems like he's easy to talk to. But it requires coming out from behind the keyboard and screen for some real life face to face stuff. Heck, he'll probably be at Southwind tonight. Every time I've gone to see East and Lomax he's been there. As I said, he's easy to talk to, he was cool with me at white station.

Plus, as much as you post in the recruiting forum about possible Tiger recruits, it seems like you would want to be there to check out Lomax and company. And please forgive me if you have health issues that prevent you from getting out or you live out of town.
02-28-2017 05:14 PM
JhanJo Offline
1st String

Pettiness??? Perhaps it's more like spending time, energy and resources on a recruit that you wouldn't have to worry about his academic standing, on one that produces more than 3.1 points per game, on one that doesn't have a history of bailing on the team. It's quite possible there are other players the staff feels would be a better option.
02-28-2017 05:14 PM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline

(02-28-2017 05:14 PM)JhanJo Wrote:  

Pettiness??? Perhaps it's more like spending time, energy and resources on a recruit that you wouldn't have to worry about his academic standing, on one that produces more than 3.1 points per game, on one that doesn't have a history of bailing on the team. It's quite possible there are other players the staff feels would be a better option.

Sure, sure.

Right after they run off the Lawsons.
02-28-2017 05:16 PM
DoomHaynesJr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: The Tigers
I wish someone would explain this overt contradiction in the article:

{end of 2nd paragraph}
"...Red Raiders never pursued prospects of this caliber. In fact, Smith did not sign a top 150 recruit during his entire tenure there."

{beginning of 4th paragraph}
"I think Tubby Smith has had success, and this is true for everywhere he’s been, almost by recruiting top 75 to top 150 guys."

So, let me get this straight. Tubby owes his success at TX Tech to recruiting - but never signing - top 75-150 players?
02-28-2017 05:22 PM
JhanJo Offline
1st String

(02-28-2017 05:16 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

Sure, sure.

Right after they run off the Lawsons.

If Dedric turns pro I wouldn't characterize that as running off. If Keelon and KJ leave as well then I'd ask, did we really lose all that much? KJ is a decent college BB player but his decision making on the court drives me nuts. I hope he stays because he has a lot of talent and potential but lets not kid ourselves into thinking he is a difference maker the caliber of his brother.
02-28-2017 05:25 PM
salukiblue Offline
Liaison to the Dummies

Good thing they had Chad as Plan B.
02-28-2017 05:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.