Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Any Sun Records impressions
Bookmark and Share
kabluey Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Any Sun Records impressions
I dont have cable. I havent seen a thread on this. What are viewers' impressions? I hope Sun Records does well, perhaps it will lure more production, maybe even Quarry away from Louisiana (unlikely, perhaps).
02-28-2017 07:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Any Sun Records impressions
(02-28-2017 07:37 AM)kabluey Wrote:  I dont have cable. I havent seen a thread on this. What are viewers' impressions? I hope Sun Records does well, perhaps it will lure more production, maybe even Quarry away from Louisiana (unlikely, perhaps).

The show Nashville has been getting the bulk of the tax credits available for TN
02-28-2017 07:40 AM
kabluey Offline
Heisman

(02-28-2017 07:40 AM)JTiger Wrote:  
(02-28-2017 07:37 AM)kabluey Wrote:  I dont have cable. I havent seen a thread on this. What are viewers' impressions? I hope Sun Records does well, perhaps it will lure more production, maybe even Quarry away from Louisiana (unlikely, perhaps).

The show Nashville has been getting the bulk of the tax credits available for TN

Yeah, I have been keeping tabs. It was what everyone predicted when incentives disappeared. That they would kill it here (no Memphis Beat, Blind Side, Footloose, and this year Quarry and an Oprah production is set here but filmed in GA), then revive it elsewhere in the state. But Memphis is a relatively unique character itself that is hard, if notnimpossible, to replace. And having a production here is a huge step in the right direction. Hopefully we can keep it, and then grow the industry. So I try to support the few that make good decisions. To be fair to Quarry and Beat, portions of their shows are/were filmed here.

What did you think of the actual show?
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2017 07:48 AM by kabluey.)
02-28-2017 07:46 AM
JTiger Offline
Grand Master Sexaaayyyy

I heard Mayor Strickland speak at an event and someone asked about this. It would be nice to get some more filming in Memphis.
02-28-2017 02:03 PM
Advertisement

tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS

They (spoiler alert) they killed off one of the main characters of that show, so I don't expect it to last much longer.

We DVR'ed Sun Records & finally got around to watching it last night. If I weren't wanting to watch to see how they shot it in familiar spots, I can't say that I would stick with it. Maybe it'll pick up though; we'll see.

The accents are ABYSMAL, though.
02-28-2017 04:52 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
I thought the show was pretty bad TBH. The accents, as mentioned above, are cringe worthy. I thought it was funny that they filmed a scene at the petting zoo area of the Memphis Zoo. Lol. Right next to the goat area where you get on the train. I bet that smell wonderful during filming. You can move the goats but you cant move that smell.
03-01-2017 10:37 AM
KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

(02-28-2017 04:52 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  

They (spoiler alert) they killed off one of the main characters of that show, so I don't expect it to last much longer.

We DVR'ed Sun Records & finally got around to watching it last night. If I weren't wanting to watch to see how they shot it in familiar spots, I can't say that I would stick with it. Maybe it'll pick up though; we'll see.

The accents are ABYSMAL, though.

That's a possibility. Word was, she was tired of being away from her home in Cali. I did see about 10 minutes of Sun Records. Accents were hilarious. The actor playing A young Sam Phillips, looked like Sam Phillips.
03-02-2017 01:27 AM
Advertisement

KRB Offline
Tigers Templar
Jersey Retired

I've meant to tell you for a long time. Number 3 in your sig is a line I've quoted a thousand times over the years. Damn right I remember.
03-02-2017 01:31 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
They didn't do their research apparently, in one scene Phillips and his wife (I think it was them) were walking down Beale Street and there were several black couples looking oddly affluent for that era out browsing like tourists. Beale Street was no place you wanted to go if you were white back then, additionally it was nothing but pawn shops, dive bars and a few variety stores. In the same scene mentioned above they walked past the NEW Daisy. The DAISY Theater opened in was constructed in 1912, I don't think they renamed it until sometime in the 90's. They also showed them walking past Silky's, which was on Overton Square back in the day so I'm pretty sure Silky's was nowhere around in the 50's but I could be wrong about that.
03-02-2017 06:44 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

A little research revealed that the New Daisy was built across the street from the Daisy in the 40's so I was wrong about that.
03-02-2017 06:44 PM
Advertisement

TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

Silky's didn't relocate to Beale until 1992.
03-02-2017 06:46 PM
aTxTIGER Online
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators
(03-02-2017 06:44 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  A little research revealed that the New Daisy was built across the street from the Daisy in the 40's so I was wrong about that.

Yup. I believe the New Daisy was called the Malco then. Could be wrong.
03-02-2017 10:31 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
I have been watching the series, Elvis just came in to record this past week. It's kind of slow building the story line with Sam's financial troubles, his hot[/align] affair and background on each of the main music characters; Elvis, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis.

Lots of Memphis in the show.

Some exaggerated characters like Dewey Phillips and The Col, but they have a lot of history and color to build in a short time.
03-27-2017 04:56 PM
Advertisement

Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-02-2017 10:31 PM)aTxTIGER Wrote:  
(03-02-2017 06:44 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  A little research revealed that the New Daisy was built across the street from the Daisy in the 40's so I was wrong about that.

Yup. I believe the New Daisy was called the Malco then. Could be wrong.

Yup. you were wrong abut the New Daisy. It was never called the Malco but the Orpheum was. Which is where I saw 'Shaft' in high school.

It opened in 1936.

Here it is next to the old Palace Theater at 324 Beale St, Memphis TN - Circa 1952

[Image: 15564387451_2aeac4d397_o.jpg]
03-28-2017 10:53 PM
ncrdbl1 Online
Legend

If you go in looking for screw ups you cannot help but find them. They are in EVERY show on TV. Hell MASH was supposed to be one of the greatest award winning shows ever and you would drive yourself crazy looking for all the mistakes in it.

Yes the accents are pure Hollywood. Even southern actors who go to Hollywood end up with Hollywood southern accents.

So far the series has been setting ground work. The music side should be picking up later in the season. They sure as hell did cast Col Tom Parker right.

The actor who played Veron reminds me a little of him.

Think the show has an audience the question is will it remain the same grow or dwindle. Do not forget they said Star Trek and Hee Haw did not have an audience. Hee Haw went on for over a decade in first run syndication and Star Trek created it own universe.
03-29-2017 12:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tigergreen Offline

I caught up on the past 3 episodes this week, and while some of the acting & accents are still abysmal, the storyline is at least picking up a bit. The guy they picked to play young Elvis (if it's actually him singing) sounds pretty spot-on.

I'm having more fun picking out the spots they filmed than anything - I'm still trying to figure out where the building is that they're using as Sun's location. I'm guessing either South or North Memphis somewhere, but can't really put my finger on it.
(This post was last modified: 03-29-2017 08:44 AM by tigergreen.)
03-29-2017 08:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.