Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mexico threatens trade war over Trump's Wall Tax
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
Mexico threatens trade war over Trump's Wall Tax
Link

Quote:But Mexico's foreign minister Luis Videgaray said his country would respond to any tax levied by the US and that they did not actually need financial help.

He warned Mexico could impose levies on select goods aimed at US regions most reliant on exports south of the border, such as Iowa, Texas and Wisconsin.

Speaking during a radio interview, Mr Videgaray said: "Without a doubt, we have that possibility and what we cannot do is remain with our arms crossed.

"The Mexican government would have to respond."

Anyone familiar with the supply chain set up from Mexico? Imagine if all of that were shut down. I know for a fact I'd be out of a job, and many other Americans.
02-25-2017 05:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

usmbacker Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beer
RE: Mexico threatens trade war over Trump's Wall Tax
Remember the Alamo
02-25-2017 05:06 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Mexico will build a strong Southern border, and will pay for that one as well. Whether they know it or not.
02-25-2017 05:10 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(02-25-2017 05:10 PM)Dasville Wrote:  Mexico will build a strong Southern border, and will pay for that one as well. Whether they know it or not.

LOL. You're really quite funny.
02-25-2017 05:14 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Posturing.

They'll pay for it and they'll like it.
02-25-2017 05:53 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
(02-25-2017 05:03 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  Link

Quote:But Mexico's foreign minister Luis Videgaray said his country would respond to any tax levied by the US and that they did not actually need financial help.

He warned Mexico could impose levies on select goods aimed at US regions most reliant on exports south of the border, such as Iowa, Texas and Wisconsin.

Speaking during a radio interview, Mr Videgaray said: "Without a doubt, we have that possibility and what we cannot do is remain with our arms crossed.

Anyone familiar with the supply chain set up from Mexico? Imagine if all of that were shut down. I know for a fact I'd be out of a job, and many other Americans.

The guy lost all credibility with that statement. Texas is very self sufficient. We even have our own power-grid. And we have plenty of destinations for our exports. On the other hand, the major Mexican city of Monterrey (1.1 million people) depends on natural gas from wells in South Texas. Mr. Videgaray and his government need to consider which nation would suffer more from a trade war.
02-25-2017 06:52 PM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
I'd like to see them try.
02-25-2017 06:55 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
[Image: 170222-luis-videgaray-ap-1160.jpg]

"Without a doubt, we have that possibility and what we cannot do is remain with our arms crossed. The Mexican government would have to respond."

[Image: crickets2.gif]
02-25-2017 07:04 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
The only people who are scared about a Mexican trade war is Mexico and Americans who need to suck on someone else's teet just to get thru the day.
02-25-2017 07:13 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
"Sound and fury...signifying nothing"
02-25-2017 07:16 PM
Redbanksdog Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
The USA doesn't need Mexico. The OP had a good question, can anyone answer that ?
02-25-2017 07:22 PM
Advertisement

DexterDevil Offline
DCTID

I Root For: EMU, DCFC
(02-25-2017 07:13 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  The only people who are scared about a Mexican trade war is Mexico and Americans who need to suck on someone else's teet just to get thru the day.

There's quite a few businesses around me that heavily rely on Mexican products for their business, because it's what gives them customers, I'd imagine they are scared of something like this.
02-25-2017 07:22 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(02-25-2017 07:22 PM)Redbanksdog Wrote:  The USA doesn't need Mexico. The OP had a good question, can anyone answer that ?

I'm a product engineer for one of the (several) car manufacturers here in Alabama. All the plants in the region would unequivocally shut down if Mexico barred exports to the US. The plant I work at generates $10k-13k in revenue per minute.

Nissan, Honda, Mercedes, Hyundai, BMW, and others. The supply chain in Mexico is essential.
02-25-2017 07:28 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

Talk to your neighbors. The Coalminers were expected to just move along. Don't worry. You will be retrained whether you want to or not. Or.....perhaps a MIDDLEGROUND can be found.
02-25-2017 07:28 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(02-25-2017 07:28 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  
(02-25-2017 07:22 PM)Redbanksdog Wrote:  The USA doesn't need Mexico. The OP had a good question, can anyone answer that ?

I'm a product engineer for one of the (several) car manufacturers here in Alabama. All the plants in the region would unequivocally shut down if Mexico barred exports to the US. The plant I work at generates $10k-13k in revenue per minute.

Nissan, Honda, Mercedes, Hyundai, BMW, and others. The supply chain in Mexico is essential.

Sounds like the auto industry needs to bring that supply chain closer to its plants.
02-25-2017 07:30 PM
Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(02-25-2017 07:28 PM)Dasville Wrote:  

Talk to your neighbors. The Coalminers were expected to just move along. Don't worry. You will be retrained whether you want to or not. Or.....perhaps a MIDDLEGROUND can be found.

Do you expect that middleground to be found overnight? How quickly can the industry be replaced in the U.S.? And, more importantly, can it be replaced in time to avert the inevitable recession that comes with U.S. manufacturing coming to a grinding halt?
02-25-2017 07:30 PM
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

(02-25-2017 07:30 PM)Fo Shizzle Wrote:  

Sounds like the auto industry needs to bring that supply chain closer to its plants.

If it weren't for the cheap labor in Mexico creating parts, the plants in the U.S. assembling the cars wouldn't exist. NAFTA allows for this loophole. Whole commodities assembled in the U.S. are taxed once rather than by a part by part basis. It's the reason these carries are made in America rather than the EU or Japan.
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2017 07:33 PM by Kruciff.)
02-25-2017 07:32 PM
Side Show Joe Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: North Texas
Just for comparison, Texas has a larger economy then Mexico. Mexico is ranked 15th. If Texas was an independent country, we would be ranked 10th. A trade war might cause some issues in the US economy, but it would cause economic collapse and civil unrest throughout Mexico. If there is to be a trade war, the wall better be finished before it starts.
02-25-2017 07:34 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline

Balance of Power Contest
(02-25-2017 07:32 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  

If it weren't for the cheap labor in Mexico creating parts, the plants in the U.S. assembling the cars wouldn't exist. NAFTA allows for this loophole. Whole commodities assembled in the U.S. are taxed once rather than by a part by part basis. It's the reason these carries are made in America rather than the EU or Japan.

If the automobile manufacturers were not strapped with $70 per hour in worker and retiree benefits....
(This post was last modified: 02-25-2017 07:39 PM by Fo Shizzle.)
02-25-2017 07:38 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(02-25-2017 07:32 PM)Kruciff Wrote:  

So we are suppressing the Mexican worker and economy? No wonder so many want to cross the border. With the trade deals they have arranged, they should have a world class economy. Why not lift up Mexico and their tremendous people?
02-25-2017 07:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.