Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 expansion revisited
DawgNBama Online
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Was doing some research on Big 12 expansion, and I came across this rather interesting article:
http://www.burntorangenation.com/2016/8/...al-assault

Now, if you really examine BYU's honor code closely, it actually does NOT prohibit LGBTs from attending BYU, nor does BYU advocate discriminating against them. Even BYU's AD said that LGBTs were welcome at BYU, despite the fact some LGBTs said that they would not compete against BYU because of the honor code, which doesn't really bar LGBTs at all, but just wants them to practice their sexuality in private which, I'm sure, is the exact same thing that BYU expects heterosexual couples to do as well. My question is this: was this "issue" brought to light by the tv execs, and were these former LGBT players bribed by the tv networks to say what they said? I believe they were. I'm wondering if the Pac 12 created this whole entire "issue." That, right now, is only conjecture, but I can see why the Pac12 would profit from this.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 02:05 AM by DawgNBama.)
02-22-2017 02:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kruciff Offline
Old Man from scene 24

I Root For: The Bridge of Death
RE: Big 12 expansion revisited
Sounds like a solid hypothesis.

Completely unrelated, what is your opinion on government controlled chem-trails?
02-22-2017 03:50 AM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Read the honor code yourself, not a statement by somebody trying to excuse it

https://policy.byu.edu/view/index.php?p=26

The problem is this paragraph, which is additional restrictions on homosexuals:

Homosexual Behavior

Brigham Young University will respond to homosexual behavior rather than to feelings or attraction and welcomes as full members of the university community all whose behavior meets university standards. Members of the university community can remain in good Honor Code standing if they conduct their lives in a manner consistent with gospel principles and the Honor Code.

One's stated same-gender attraction is not an Honor Code issue. However, the Honor Code requires all members of the university community to manifest a strict commitment to the law of chastity. Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the Honor Code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings.

The second problem is the sexual abuse victims have even in the recent past been subjected to investigation, which could and often does lead to suspension and/or dismissal for their alleged sexual activities. This creates an atmosphere almost as bad as Baylor, as far as suppression of reporting as a result. Victims have much to lose before they get their diploma. Not a good situation. The B12 had issue with both these points.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 04:16 AM by Stugray2.)
02-22-2017 04:14 AM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Right. There are horror stories of of gays who held hands or hugged in public getting expelled.

Oh by the way, BYU would not release their transcripts in some cases. So a college junior at BYU would have to start over at a new university as a freshman.

BYU's honor code makes it a violation to fail to report another violation. So it's a tattle-tale society.
02-22-2017 07:04 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(02-22-2017 02:04 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Was doing some research on Big 12 expansion, and I came across this rather interesting article:

Now, if you really examine BYU's honor code closely, it actually does NOT prohibit LGBTs from attending BYU, nor does BYU advocate discriminating against them. Even BYU's AD said that LGBTs were welcome at BYU, despite the fact some LGBTs said that they would not compete against BYU because of the honor code, which doesn't really bar LGBTs at all, but just wants them to practice their sexuality in private which, I'm sure, is the exact same thing that BYU expects heterosexual couples to do as well. My question is this: was this "issue" brought to light by the tv execs, and were these former LGBT players bribed by the tv networks to say what they said? I believe they were. I'm wondering if the Pac 12 created this whole entire "issue." That, right now, is only conjecture, but I can see why the Pac12 would profit from this.

You may want to delete your post as it is extremely in the alt-reality world.
02-22-2017 08:44 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvilVodka Offline
stuff

I Root For: FSU LSU
I'm burnt out on college football expansion....

it's actually pretty stupid...

The Big XII had an opportunity to solidify themselves as a dominant P5 conference and dropped the ball. They built it up into a giant spectacle, only to tell everyone they were sticking at 10 teams lol

The playoff has been good for college football....realignment has sucked
02-22-2017 10:05 AM
Advertisement

jaredf29 Offline
Smiter of Trolls

I Root For: UCF
(02-22-2017 08:44 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(02-22-2017 02:04 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Was doing some research on Big 12 expansion, and I came across this rather interesting article:

You may want to delete your post as it is extremely in the alt-reality world.

It's not a lie if you believe it.
02-22-2017 10:55 AM
Attackcoog Offline

No. The issue was and is real. My belief is BYU is perfectly within thier rights to run a faith based university in a way that corresponds with thier beliefs. The Big 12 and tv sponsors are also perfectly within thier rights to not create an association with univerties that practice behaviors that are descriminitory or might reflect poorly on the conference.

They have enough bad press to deal with at Baylor. Didn't need any other publicity stink bombs to deal with.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 11:03 AM by Attackcoog.)
02-22-2017 11:01 AM
bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Uconn and cincy to the big 12 could work fine. I think byu and Houston to make it 12 was the best move and politically it would work with Texas getting Houston. Point is big 12 can't agree on anything and will use any excuse to leave things at status quo. I would guess the PAC 12 or sec will target ou and ok state in the next cycle and thus the big 12 goes bust. If neither of those conferences want the okla pair, than the big 10 will pick off ou and ku with the same result, bust for the big 12.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 11:23 AM by bluesox.)
02-22-2017 11:20 AM
Wilkie01 Offline
Cards Prognosticater
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Louisville
(02-22-2017 07:04 AM)CougarRed Wrote:  Right. There are horror stories of of gays who held hands or hugged in public getting expelled.

Oh by the way, BYU would not release their transcripts in some cases. So a college junior at BYU would have to start over at a new university as a freshman.

BYU's honor code makes it a violation to fail to report another violation. So it's a tattle-tale society.

05-stirthepot That is standard in most Honor Coded, dude! 07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 11:29 AM by Wilkie01.)
02-22-2017 11:21 AM
jrj84105 Online
All American

I Root For: Utes
I think the option of going to the basement and getting your genitals electroshocked to chase away the gay would give BYU an unfair recruiting advantage. And if you're gay and kill yourself (which 24% of current BYU LGBT students reporting having attempted) then you will be turned straight in the afterlife (just like brown people will become "white and delightsome"). Sounds like a really good deal to me, and I can't understand why the BigXII would want to avoid that association.
02-22-2017 12:02 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

"BYU wants them to practice their sexuality in private."---what?? Did you just make that up? BYU doesn't allow any kind of sexual activity at all, in public or private. The mandatory Honor Code forces all BYU students to not have pre-marital sex. They aren't allowed to drink. There is no "private"....very strict enforceable rules at BYU.

Cheers!
02-22-2017 12:50 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
The WCC is a great conference for BYU's Olympic sports. Faith-based institutions and about 60% of BYU's alumni base live in Utah, California, Washington, and Oregon. Multi-bid NCAAB conference, fantastic women's soccer, and decent baseball and softball.

The MPSF is a great home for men's volleyball (Pepperdine, Long Beach, UC Santa Barbara, UCLA, Stanford, etc.).

BYU gets great home attendance for basketball, soccer, and volleyball - like top 5-10 in the country every year.

Independent football schedules are getting the BYU football program to other alumni hot spots. Arizona, Texas, DC.

It's too bad that athletics conference affiliations aren't based solely on athletics, because BYU would be a great fit in the PAC for athletics and geography.

BYU is a decent fit for the Big 12, but mostly because BYU has the most competitive tangibles in terms of fan base, facilities, etc. But they are a geography and cultural outlier.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 12:56 PM by YNot.)
02-22-2017 12:53 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I think there was a group called " the shakers" and their Christian beliefs were that sex was 100% forbidden so their not around anymore, mybe they died off with no offspring to replace or mybe just mybe most all people think it's stupid
02-22-2017 01:38 PM
wavefan12 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulane
BYU is staying indy or going to the AAC/MWC.....no P5 school is going to take them with all the baggage and the current social landscape. Just not worth the headache.
02-22-2017 02:17 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
(02-22-2017 01:38 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  I think there was a group called " the shakers" and their Christian beliefs were that sex was 100% forbidden so their not around anymore, mybe they died off with no offspring to replace or mybe just mybe most all people think it's stupid

But the Shakers are remembered and revered for their functional and beautiful architecture and furniture. They also valued education, so they would have known, in the context of your (not you're) sentence, how to spell they're (not their or there). I'll give you a pass on "mybe," because you're (not your) probably just a kid who struggles to learn to write and spell with two thumbs on a device rather than with a pen and a brain.

Don't they teach English 101 at U of H?
02-22-2017 02:24 PM
Advertisement

SouthEastAlaska Offline
1st String

I Root For: UW
The unfortunate reality is that no P conference is ever going to take BYU and when the P4 eventually breaks away to form a new level of college football, BYU will be left behind.

I am not a BYU fan by any means but it doesn't make it any less sad to lose the history of a football program like the Cougars have. They won a national championship for God's sake.
02-22-2017 02:45 PM
NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(02-22-2017 02:45 PM)SouthEastAlaska Wrote:  The unfortunate reality is that no P conference is ever going to take BYU and when the P4 eventually breaks away to form a new level of college football, BYU will be left behind.

I am not a BYU fan by any means but it doesn't make it any less sad to lose the history of a football program like the Cougars have. They won a national championship for God's sake.

That's what they claim!
02-22-2017 02:50 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Facing the Baylor scandal, I do believe the Big 12 feared handling yet another impending institutional crisis when stories surfaced out of BYU last year. BYU does offer an excellent athletic program for the P5 but the timing of this likely had a chilling effect on Big 12 leaders who were't reaching a consensus even before all this occurred. So they basically took a sack on 3rd and short and then punted the ball down the field.

One thing is certain--there will be future conference realignment or expansion. History suggests it's never over; it's an ever evolving web of relationships that pauses for months or years. I won't be surprised if the Big 12 just announces an expansion when we least expect it. They were roundly criticized for their very public "candidate school beauty contest" last year. I believe they still have a need; due diligence is completed and those cable TV deals are always subject to revision when the chess pieces need to move.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But if there is any truth to rumors of UCONN talking to the new Big East my guess is that has been prompted by the University either knowing there is no longer a pathway to the P5 or fellow AAC members are about to walk. Aresco told the media last summer, "we're going to lose one or more members," so an expansion train was pretty far down the tracks already. Did it derail completely...or just pause before reaching its destination?
02-22-2017 03:03 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(02-22-2017 03:03 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  Facing the Baylor scandal, I do believe the Big 12 feared handling yet another impending institutional crisis when stories surfaced out of BYU last year. BYU does offer an excellent athletic program for the P5 but the timing of this likely had a chilling effect on Big 12 leaders who were't reaching a consensus even before all this occurred. So they basically took a sack on 3rd and short and then punted the ball down the field.

One thing is certain--there will be future conference realignment or expansion. History suggests it's never over; it's an ever evolving web of relationships that pauses for months or years. I won't be surprised if the Big 12 just announces an expansion when we least expect it. They were roundly criticized for their very public "candidate school beauty contest" last year. I believe they still have a need; due diligence is completed and those cable TV deals are always subject to revision when the chess pieces need to move.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But if there is any truth to rumors of UCONN talking to the new Big East my guess is that has been prompted by the University either knowing there is no longer a pathway to the P5 or fellow AAC members are about to walk. Aresco told the media last summer, "we're going to lose one or more members," so an expansion train was pretty far down the tracks already. Did it derail completely...or just pause before reaching its destination?

I think the Big 12 will bite the bullet and invite Cincinatti and one other. The Big 12 seems to be backing off the CCG. Maybe I'm wrong and the Big 12 has finally released a venue/date/time/network for the CCG this year, but I haven't seen it. They have to realize how dumb it is to have a CCG rematch game. They need more schools.

Cheers!
02-22-2017 03:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.