Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Future of the AAC
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
The Future of the AAC
Here is the best move the AAC can make to strengthen its future now.

Get the Academies all in one division. Currently Air Force and Army offer the best returns from non-P5. Army is currently Independent so no conference issues there. Air Force is tougher with its membership in the MWC. Therefore we sould invite Army as football only and Air Force all sports.

Here are the arguments for each side in this deal.

The Academies get an extra out of conference game because the commander in chief trophy will exist in the conference. If they are aligned in the west with the private schools they will be under similar restrictions from academics and admittance requirememnts.

The conference, having the commander and chief trophy in the conference brings viewership and an automatic rivalry driven division (in particular if they are aligned with SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Memphis who have history with each other). While Army and Navy are in the east they bring national support/relevance and to a lesser degree Air Force as well. An entrance to the Denver/Colorado market.

Air Force, the pay out in the conference money and the television exposure would be better. The competitive side is a big step up from the mwc in olympic sports. Texas recruiting.

Army, a home for football, including bowl relationships, a bump in pay. Can keep olympic sports home in current conferences. Texas recruiting, championship game exposure, possible NY6 game.

So in football moving the acadamies to the west means no chance at commander and chief trophy rematches in the championship game. The teams should still have good away fans/crowds with their national support. Texas is full of patriotic football loving kids who play disciplined and often option oriented offenses for the academies to recruit. They are aligned with each other and two or three high academic standard private universities so competitivenss should be high.

Air Force, Army, Navy, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Memphis

UConn, Temple, Cincinnati, ECU, USF, UCF, Tulane

To a lesser degree adding two strong olympic sports only schools in the geographical footprint of the current members could further add stability and value.

The schools who fit this mold are Wichita St, St. Louis, Dayton, VCU. Geographically speaking the two who make the most sense are Wichita (conmecting tulsa and air force) and VCU (southern but centerally located between several schools).

Air Force, Wichita St, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, Cincinnati, Temple, VCU, UConn, ECU, USF, UCF

This makes sense even if the Big XII expands, they wont be coming after Air Force. Army and Navy are too far east for the midwest dominated league. The Academies offer stability, but not so dominating as to exert too much influence (ala Texas). The basketball only schools do a similar function and bring quality programs should UConn try the nbe/independent route or the Big XII raid us. If nothing changes all the add ons bring value, admittedly to a lesser degree in the olympic only sports. The two olympic onlys won't ever be in a position to cause the tension experienced in the old big east. The conference is still east central dominated for time slots and geographically will tighten up a little.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 03:37 PM by TU4ever.)
02-21-2017 03:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
RE: The Future of the AAC
Todge?
02-21-2017 03:39 PM
Phil Lacio Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ghetto State U.
(02-21-2017 03:32 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  Here is the best move the AAC can make to strengthen its future now.

Get the Academies all in one division. Currently Air Force and Army offer the best returns from non-P5. Army is currently Independent so no conference issues there. Air Force is tougher with its membership in the MWC. Therefore we sould invite Army as football only and Air Force all sports.

The Academies get an extra out of conference game because the commander in chief trophy will exist in the conference. If they are aligned in the west with the private schools they will be under similar restrictions from academics and admittance requirememnts.

The conference, having the commander and chief trophy in the conference brings viewership and an automatic rivalry driven division (in particular if they are aligned with SMU, Tulsa, Houston, Memphis who have history with each other). While Army and Navy are in the east they bring national support/relevance and to a lesser degree Air Force as well. An entrance to the Denver/Colorado market.

Air Force, the pay out in the conference money and the television exposure would be better. The competitive side is a big step up from the mwc in olympic sports. Texas recruiting.

Army, a home for football, including bowl relationships, a bump in pay. Can keep olympic sports home in current conferences. Texas recruiting, championship game exposure, possible NY6 game.

So in football moving the acadamies to the west means no chance at commander and chief trophy rematches in the championship game. The teams should still have good away fans/crowds with their national support. Texas is full of patriotic football loving kids who play disciplined and often option oriented offenses for the academies to recruit. They are aligned with each other and two or three high academic standard private universities so competitivenss should be high.

To a lesser degree adding two strong olympic sports only schools in the geographical footprint of the current members could further add stability and value.

The schools who fit this mold are Wichita St, St. Louis, Dayton, VCU. Geographically speaking the two who make the most sense are Wichita (conmecting tulsa and air force) and VCU (southern but centerally located between several schools).

Air Force, Wichita St, Tulsa, SMU, Houston, Memphis, Tulane, Cincinnati, Temple, VCU, UConn, ECU, USF, UCF

This makes sense even if the Big XII expands, they wont be coming after Air Force. Army and Navy are too far east for the midwest dominated league. The Academies offer stability, but not so dominating as to exert too much influence (ala Texas). The basketball only schools do a similar function and bring quality programs should UConn try the nbe/independent route or the Big XII raid us. If nothing changes all the add ons bring value, admittedly to a lesser degree in the olympic only sports. The two olympic onlys won't ever be in a position to cause the tension experienced in the old big east. The conference is still east central dominated for time slots and geographically will tighten up a little.

Agree 100%
02-21-2017 03:43 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(02-21-2017 03:39 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Todge?

Dem Coogs
02-21-2017 03:46 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
(02-21-2017 03:46 PM)M1T4 Wrote:  

Dem Coogs

I don't read a word he writes - I just look for how many times he says dem coogs
02-21-2017 04:13 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(02-21-2017 04:13 PM)Pony94 Wrote:  

Dem Coogs

I don't read a word he writes - I just look for how many times he says dem coogs

Yep lol
02-21-2017 04:21 PM
Advertisement

HHOOTter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: tulsa
(02-21-2017 03:32 PM)TU4ever Wrote:  Here is the best move the AAC can make to strengthen its future now.

Best $$$$ outcome 4 AAC

AAC Comish Mike Aresco's
needs 2 Read this post everyday
& make this deal happen

This is a very "viewer" friendly arrangement
4 FOX/ESPN/CBS/NBC to consider
02-21-2017 04:21 PM
CoastalJuan Offline
Business Drunk

I Root For: ECU
I'm just glad we could finally figure this whole thing out. Definitely spells the end for further conference expansion threads.

[Image: giphy.gif]
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 05:23 PM by CoastalJuan.)
02-21-2017 05:18 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
The Future of the AAC

Dem Coogs

Might not be long enough for girly man todge
02-21-2017 05:22 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

Hi Todge, the board would give its left nut for AF and Army. You know that.

Cheers!
02-21-2017 06:35 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

lol Todge is so vilified for his BS long posts, he now has to post under the name TU4ever...nice
02-21-2017 07:41 PM
Advertisement

Pony94 Online

The Future of the AAC
Not Todge as he didn't say Dem Coogs
02-21-2017 07:45 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
No idea who todge is but i've been here less than 2 weeks and know 2 things. . .

Cincinnati fans are going to whine every other post about how they're holding up the b-ball side, ignoring the fact the only reason they are winning the league is its a.down year for four other programs.

BC#1 should never comment about people posting bs, that accurately describes every post he has ever made. . .

I'll help you out

Fify
02-22-2017 05:34 AM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
I like Wichita State and Gonzaga as a pair for the AAC yesterday... And than Dayton plus VCU tomorrow.
02-22-2017 06:23 AM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

(02-22-2017 05:34 AM)TU4ever Wrote:  No idea who todge is but i've been here less than 2 weeks and know 2 things. . .

Cincinnati fans are going to whine every other post about how they're holding up the b-ball side, ignoring the fact the only reason they are winning the league is its a.down year for four other programs.

BC#1 should never comment about people posting bs, that accurately describes every post he has ever made. . .

I'll help you out

Fify

hmmm....this statement doesn't fit the contest of what you allege: that you have only been here 'less than 2 weeks'

me thinks you are somebody else....
02-22-2017 07:08 AM
slhNavy91 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Navy

Meh.

The other academies made sense as replacement(s), but lots less as expansion targets.

Dilutes the brand two ways:
Do they bring $15M more to the media negotiations? I don't think so. If not, each school is taking a million bucks out of its own pocket to pay for them.
If the AAC brand is P6 and #AmericanPow6r and beating Mississippi, Oklahoma, Louisville, ND, etc....then chest thumping "we have all three service academies" is incongruous. I'm talking about perception here - we've gone 14-3 in the American and ALL y'all still wail "omg we lost to Navy!" National perception? Without that front row seat to how good a service academy is? Counterproductive.

As far as bringing in CiC competition, you actually devalue the ArmyNavy game pulling it off its standalone weekend. You've got half if a hugely valuable property - don't severely decrease it's value in order to get all of it.

From the Navy perspective, regaining a little schedule flexibility isn't worth it. I DO also like having a head start on the other two as the only P6 academy.
For the AAC, marginal gains only.
02-22-2017 07:23 AM
Advertisement

Puckhead48E Offline
Special Teams

The Future of the AAC
Remind me how many watch Army v Air Force and Navy v Air Force. Answer is...not that many. Not sure what this love affair is with Army (tradition of mediocrity going back awhile) and now Air Force comes from. Pretty sure no one has said "our conference needs 2 more teams that run the option to grow" since about 1965. The AAC needs to expand its brand by improving the product. Air Force barely does this and army definitely does not.

If the answer is adding army and airforce, the question definitely isn't "how to improve the AAC."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 07:49 AM by Puckhead48E.)
02-22-2017 07:47 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
(02-22-2017 07:47 AM)Puckhead48E Wrote:  Remind me how many watch Army v Air Force and Navy v Air Force. Answer is...not that many. Not sure what this love affair is with Army (tradition of mediocrity going back awhile) and now Air Force comes from. Pretty sure no one has said "our conference needs 2 more teams that run the option to grow" since about 1965. The AAC needs to expand its brand by improving the product. Air Force barely does this and army definitely does not.

If the answer is adding army and airforce, the question definitely isn't "how to improve the AAC."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to see the actual ratings from all three academy match ups. The other part of the theory is that the academies would provide additional (political) clout if/when the entitled 5 try to split away and not include us.
02-22-2017 08:21 AM
DownOnRohs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-22-2017 05:34 AM)TU4ever Wrote:  No idea who todge is but i've been here less than 2 weeks and know 2 things. . .

I'll help you out

Fify

I honestly kinda don't care about winning the league. We're all just frustrated that UC is gonna finish the season with only 4 losses and will be lucky to get a 5 seed. We need a deep run.
02-22-2017 08:38 AM
firmbizzle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UF, UCF
AF isn't coming without some other MWC dredges.
02-22-2017 09:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.