Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Season opener at ECU likely a night game?
Bookmark and Share
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
Season opener at ECU likely a night game?
That is, if it isn't moved to a Thursday or Friday (or Sunday) for TV. No gut feel for that and haven't seen any rumors for a move either...though, I do think it would be a good TV game for one of the ESPN Networks. If recent history repeats, it suggests it will be an evening kickoff, which for Labor Day weekend in eastern NC, that will likely make for a cooler game temp environment though very hot pregame tailgating.

Of course, you never know that time of year which is prime hurricane season too. Let's hope we don't have to deal with that.

Just surfing ECU's last few season openers, I see...

2016 home vs Western Carolina (6pm kickoff)
2015 home vs Towson (6pm)
2014 home vs NC Central (8pm)
2013 home vs ODU (7pm)

Last time they opened earlier in the day was 2012 when they hosted Appalachian State and that was set to a noon kickoff for TV purposes (Fox Sports Net).

So, 2017 will see the Pirates open at home for the 6th season in a row. In 2011, they opened at Charlotte against South Carolina.

The first 3 weeks of kickoff times and TV designations are normally announced by the conferences and networks in mid-to-late May time frame. We'll see...

Considering a Labor Day weekend at OBX since only a couple of hours onward from Greenville.
02-21-2017 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Season opener at ECU likely a night game?
Considering the last five years of home openers for ECU have all been on Saturdays and the last two have been at 6pm, I think you have your answer. Unless it's for national tv, there is no point in moving it from saturday.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 03:47 PM by Potomac.)
02-21-2017 03:47 PM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

Awwwwww yeah. Good news
02-21-2017 03:51 PM
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
ECU hasn't been that good the last couple years so I don't think TV will affect the starting time for a ECU vs JMU game. IMHO we'll have a 6PM kickoff. Nice evening game for the fans, coastal NC can be brutally hot at the end of August. Ask any Marine who has trained at Camp Lejeune !!!!!
02-22-2017 10:04 AM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-22-2017 10:04 AM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  ECU hasn't been that good the last couple years so I don't think TV will affect the starting time for a ECU vs JMU game. IMHO we'll have a 6PM kickoff. Nice evening game for the fans, coastal NC can be brutally hot at the end of August. Ask any Marine who has trained at Camp Lejeune !!!!!

Or been a Devil Dog at Cherry Point. 03-2thumbsup
02-22-2017 09:08 PM
Advertisement

JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(02-22-2017 09:08 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(02-22-2017 10:04 AM)JMUsince89 Wrote:  ECU hasn't been that good the last couple years so I don't think TV will affect the starting time for a ECU vs JMU game. IMHO we'll have a 6PM kickoff. Nice evening game for the fans, coastal NC can be brutally hot at the end of August. Ask any Marine who has trained at Camp Lejeune !!!!!

Or been a Devil Dog at Cherry Point. 03-2thumbsup

I love Eastern North Carolina, but Havelock is an armpit with a little bit of tain't thrown in.
02-23-2017 09:56 AM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

The rivals page says the ECTC game is at noon.
02-23-2017 10:15 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2017 10:15 AM)JMU_71 Wrote:  The rivals page says the ECTC game is at noon.

That's great for me as a traveling fan who would prefer to avoid a hotel stay. That sucks for the heat. It must be picked up on TV and it better not be friggin ESPN3.

edit: it could just be a place holder time. if you click further on our schedule page, everything else says TBD.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017 10:23 AM by Potomac.)
02-23-2017 10:20 AM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2017 10:15 AM)JMU_71 Wrote:  The rivals page says the ECTC game is at noon.

This time of year they default them to noon often. The kickoff times (and TV/streaming designations) will be announced by the conferences and/or TV network normally in mid-to-late May. This should be the case with ECU in the AAC as well.

Side note, JMU normally announces our home game kickoff times/TV in late June (over the past few years at least).
02-23-2017 10:21 AM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2017 10:20 AM)Potomac Wrote:  

That's great for me as a traveling fan who would prefer to avoid a hotel stay. That sucks for the heat. It must be picked up on TV and it better not be friggin ESPN3.

That's not a real game time. ECU's official page says TBA... http://ecupirates.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

Will stay that way for another 3 months until the AAC releases the first 3 weeks. I believe it will be a night game consistent with what ECU has done the last few years.
02-23-2017 10:22 AM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

A 6 pm kickoff for this game would be ideal, for those of you that know that time of year in Eastern NC, the later the better, it'll be very hot and muggy.
02-23-2017 10:23 AM
Bill Offline
1st String

(02-23-2017 10:23 AM)Dadgum Wrote:  A 6 pm kickoff for this game would be ideal, for those of you that know that time of year in Eastern NC, the later the better, it'll be very hot and muggy.

I used to live in Greenville and when I went golfing I would keep a few extra shirts and towels in the cart and changed my underwear and shorts at the turn. I'm going back this September for the game and will hopefully play a round or two.
02-23-2017 12:14 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(02-23-2017 12:14 PM)Bill Wrote:  
(02-23-2017 10:23 AM)Dadgum Wrote:  A 6 pm kickoff for this game would be ideal, for those of you that know that time of year in Eastern NC, the later the better, it'll be very hot and muggy.

I used to live in Greenville and when I went golfing I would keep a few extra shirts and towels in the cart and changed my underwear and shorts at the turn. I'm going back this September for the game and will hopefully play a round or two.

Bill, were you a MRD? And, did you live in the 757?
02-23-2017 12:17 PM
Advertisement

JMU_71 Offline
1st String

Yeah, Africa, jungle hot is a good way to describe early September in Eastern North Carolina. I'm hoping the last few ECTC season openers are an indication that this is a night game.

With such a close proximity to the Crystal Coast, I'll be heading to Atlantic Beach to cool off for week afterward.
02-23-2017 12:51 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-23-2017 12:51 PM)JMU_71 Wrote:  Yeah, Africa, jungle hot is a good way to describe early September in Eastern North Carolina. I'm hoping the last few ECTC season openers are an indication that this is a night game.

With such a close proximity to the Crystal Coast, I'll be heading to Atlantic Beach to cool off for week afterward.

Lived in Morehead City during my time at Cherry Point. Great town.
02-23-2017 12:56 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

The odds are that it will be hot and humid on Sep. 2nd in Greenville. I lived in nearby Wilson for a while and have a little experience with the conditions there. You never know though. As I mentioned earlier in the OP, that is prime tropical storm time for example.

Last year, on Sep. 2, 2016, Weather Underground History advises the max temp in Greenville, NC, was 73 degrees. Sounds pretty nice, eh? Well, the humidity was 100% and they received 10 inches of rain. Recall those floods?

The year before was a high of 91 and high humidity with 0.16 inches of rain. That's more like what I would expect. Even at a 6pm kickoff if that's what it eventually is will be hot and sticky. But, certainly better than 3 hours earlier while tailgating. Looking forward to it though. September and FB season can never get here fast enough. July sucks.
02-23-2017 02:01 PM
Bill Offline
1st String

(02-23-2017 12:17 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  

I did not attend JMU. I moved to town about 10 years ago.
02-23-2017 02:47 PM
jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(02-23-2017 02:47 PM)Bill Wrote:  
(02-23-2017 12:17 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  

I did not attend JMU. I moved to town about 10 years ago.

Oh well, different Bill. Not the one I know who recently moved from down here in the 757 to Rock. County, and he is a pretty good golfer. He loves JMU, and I didn't know if he was on this forum yet. 04-cheers
02-23-2017 03:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.