Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mike Houston FBS Quote
Bookmark and Share
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Mike Houston FBS Quote
"I think I can speak for Jon Alger, Charlie King and Jeff Bourne... that if the right bid comes to us from the right conference at the FBS level, I think you will see us enthusiastically transition. If that right bid does not come along, I'm just fine being one of the top FCS programs in the country."

Let the "monitoring the situation" freak out begin. He also didn't seem to be envious of Liberty's situation, strictly my "reading between the lines" of course.
02-21-2017 02:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
RE: Mike Houston FBS Quote
non-story
02-21-2017 02:12 PM
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU Dukes
(02-21-2017 02:11 PM)Potomac Wrote:  "I think I can speak for Jon Alger, Charlie King and Jeff Bourne... that if the right bid comes to us from the right conference at the FBS level, I think you will see us enthusiastically transition. If that right bid does not come along, I'm just fine being one of the top FCS programs in the country."

Let the "monitoring the situation" freak out begin. He also didn't seem to be envious of Liberty's situation, strictly my "reading between the lines" of course.

Go ahead and stir that pot so you can complain about the people complaining about still being in FCS 05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot
02-21-2017 02:17 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-21-2017 02:17 PM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  Go ahead and stir that pot so you can complain about the people complaining about still being in FCS 05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot

I just couldn't lay off of the opportunity to point out that they do in fact have aspirations, but they aren't settling on the sun belt or the awkward and unworkable independent status.
02-21-2017 02:22 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(02-21-2017 02:11 PM)Potomac Wrote:  "I think I can speak for Jon Alger, Charlie King and Jeff Bourne... that if the right bid comes to us from the right conference at the FBS level, I think you will see us enthusiastically transition. If that right bid does not come along, I'm just fine being one of the top FCS programs in the country."

"The right conference"...kinda open ended. King is on record saying that JMU would jump at an ACC invite, look it up, it's was in the DNR.

King's and Houston's comments are like a 40 year old virgin saying "I'd jump in the sack with a 24 year old Victoria's Secret model if one shows up at my mom's basement."

The real question; would our virgin make an effort to make the sack with the slightly used but cute neighbor or is our virgin happy living in mom's basement claiming he is in a good position because he gets a dinner invite every night from a female, his mother.
02-21-2017 02:22 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(02-21-2017 02:11 PM)Potomac Wrote:  "I think I can speak for Jon Alger, Charlie King and Jeff Bourne... that if the right bid comes to us from the right conference at the FBS level, I think you will see us enthusiastically transition. If that right bid does not come along, "I'm just fine being one of the top FCS programs in the country."

...for another year, maybe two while a build my resume for a better job."
02-21-2017 02:27 PM
Advertisement

jmutoml757 Offline
All American

I Root For: jmu
(02-21-2017 02:22 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

"The right conference"...kinda open ended. King is on record saying that JMU would jump at an ACC invite, look it up, it's was in the DNR.

King's and Houston's comments are like a 40 year old virgin saying "I'd jump in the sack with a 24 year old Victoria's Secret model if one shows up at my mom's basement."

The real question; would our virgin make an effort to make the sack with the slightly used but cute neighbor or is our virgin happy living in mom's basement claiming he is in a good position because he gets a dinner invite every night from a female, his mother.

So, are we the basement-dwelling 40 year old virgin in this analogy or the Victoria's Secret model? 04-cheers
02-21-2017 02:29 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-21-2017 02:29 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  So, are we the basement-dwelling 40 year old virgin in this analogy or the Victoria's Secret model? 04-cheers

Two time champion basement dwellers! WOOOOH!
02-21-2017 02:30 PM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes

I'm not excusing past decisions or being an apologist, but it makes me happy to see JMU finally at a place where the HC can speak for the whole team with one voice and know they're all on the same page. It's almost like they're finally back to being comfortable just being JMU, which is a great thing.

The reality is of course JMU would rather be in an FBS league with institutions that more closely align with JMU. The AAC or some version of CUSA/SB-East or that mythical ECC (which is starting to smell a little less mythical again lately with UConn/UMass/LU floating out there again), but as diehard as I've been about FBS (and don't get me wrong, proud to have contributed to the flyover!), what we've seen for JMU the last three years when you look at the combination of exposure, success, and what's good for the entire university and athletic department is just as good as anything they'd have achieved during the same period in any of the B3 (bottom three) FBS leagues.

And just to indulge Hazed's analogy, when do you have a better chance at forming a real relationship? When you're out there trying too hard at last call before you head home to the basement or when you worry about getting your own sh*t together, and do your own thing, so you can get out of the basement and have something to offer?
02-21-2017 02:45 PM
DolleyMadison Offline
1st String

(02-21-2017 02:22 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(02-21-2017 02:17 PM)DolleyMadison Wrote:  Go ahead and stir that pot so you can complain about the people complaining about still being in FCS 05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot05-stirthepot

I just couldn't lay off of the opportunity to point out that they do in fact have aspirations, but they aren't settling on the sun belt or the awkward and unworkable independent status.

Aspirations? The quote couldn't be more generic...

JMU:
Quote:"I think I can speak for Jon Alger, Charlie King and Jeff Bourne... that if the right bid comes to us from the right conference at the FBS level, I think you will see us enthusiastically transition. If that right bid does not come along, I'm just fine being one of the top FCS programs in the country."

Every other FCS school in the country:
Quote:"I think I can speak for [our president], [vice president] and [athletic director]... that if the right bid comes to us from the right conference at the FBS level, I think you will see us enthusiastically transition. If that right bid does not come along, I'm just fine being [a] one of the top FCS programs in the country."
02-21-2017 02:48 PM
Dukester Online

I Root For: JMU
(02-21-2017 02:22 PM)Potomac Wrote:  

Yes, if the ACC or SEC offer with no entry fee we will be alll over it...
02-21-2017 03:59 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Online

(02-21-2017 02:45 PM)PurpleStreamers Wrote:  

I'm not excusing past decisions or being an apologist, but it makes me happy to see JMU finally at a place where the HC can speak for the whole team with one voice and know they're all on the same page. It's almost like they're finally back to being comfortable just being JMU, which is a great thing.

The reality is of course JMU would rather be in an FBS league with institutions that more closely align with JMU. The AAC or some version of CUSA/SB-East or that mythical ECC (which is starting to smell a little less mythical again lately with UConn/UMass/LU floating out there again), but as diehard as I've been about FBS (and don't get me wrong, proud to have contributed to the flyover!), what we've seen for JMU the last three years when you look at the combination of exposure, success, and what's good for the entire university and athletic department is just as good as anything they'd have achieved during the same period in any of the B3 (bottom three) FBS leagues.

And just to indulge Hazed's analogy, when do you have a better chance at forming a real relationship? When you're out there trying too hard at last call before you head home to the basement or when you worry about getting your own sh*t together, and do your own thing, so you can get out of the basement and have something to offer?

If not trying hard is the key, ........
02-21-2017 04:05 PM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

Just an fyi, Deez thinks this is a non-story.
02-21-2017 07:28 PM
Hotrod829 Offline
All American

(02-21-2017 02:22 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  

HAHAHAHA , thanks for that one
02-21-2017 07:38 PM
JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

(02-21-2017 07:28 PM)Dadgum Wrote:  Just an fyi, Deez thinks this is a non-story.

I do Too..... its been rehashed so many times, it's a non story.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 10:07 AM by JMUsince89.)
02-22-2017 10:06 AM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(02-21-2017 07:28 PM)Dadgum Wrote:  Just an fyi, Deez thinks this is a non-story.

if you find his statement to be news at any level, I can't help you.
02-22-2017 10:10 AM
Advertisement

JMUsince89 Offline
1st String

What did Coach Houston say that hasn't been said by J.Bourne, C.King, MM, Or EW in the past. JMU is FCS for a while. Just keep rootin' for the DUKES and we'll get another shot at the FCS Championship Game next year. Much better than a shot at a so-so bowl game no one will care about.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 03:23 PM by JMUsince89.)
02-22-2017 10:20 AM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Mike Houston FBS Quote
Wait so we spend a decade complaining that they're not really doing anything and have absolutely no desire to pursue fbs.
Then you get a very direct statement right out of the horse's mouth but it's still not good enough. The only thing it's lacking is specifically stating what conferences they're willing to accept, which they can't do without compromising negotiations.

This is proof that some of you all will never be satisfied. We'll be fbs and you'll just move on to the next item to whine about.
02-22-2017 10:32 AM
bjk3047 Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU DUKES.
(02-22-2017 10:10 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  

BUT DEEZ READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

Quote:I think I can speak for Jon Alger, Charlie King and Jeff Bourne... that if the right bid comes to us from the right conference at the FBS level, I think you will see us enthusiastically transition. If that right bid does not come along, I'm just fine being one of the top FCS programs in the country.

That's exactly 300 characters.

Now bear with me. Lovie Smith just got hired as the head coach of Illinois, in the BIG TEN.

Adam Smith is a sophomore safety for JMU Football, #30.

300 ÷ 30 = 10

You know what has 10 characters? ILLUMINATI

It's all there. Open your eyes, man.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 10:51 AM by bjk3047.)
02-22-2017 10:51 AM
JMad03 Online
Heisman

(02-22-2017 10:51 AM)bjk3047 Wrote:  
(02-22-2017 10:10 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  

BUT DEEZ READ BETWEEN THE LINES.

Quote:I think I can speak for Jon Alger, Charlie King and Jeff Bourne... that if the right bid comes to us from the right conference at the FBS level, I think you will see us enthusiastically transition. If that right bid does not come along, I'm just fine being one of the top FCS programs in the country.

That's exactly 300 characters.

Now bear with me. Lovie Smith just got hired as the head coach of Illinois, in the BIG TEN.

Adam Smith is a sophomore safety for JMU Football, #30.

300 ÷ 30 = 10

You know what has 10 characters? ILLUMINATI

It's all there. Open your eyes, man.

Damn, I thought I was the only one to make that connection....
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 10:53 AM by JMad03.)
02-22-2017 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.