Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First clf negatives
Bookmark and Share
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
First clf negatives
Is coach moving copeland from the interior and back to de. I thought it was a good move to the interior. Also moving mohoun back to lb. I thought he was a good de. What does all this mean for perry young. I could see young transfer.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 10:52 AM by rosewater.)
02-20-2017 10:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The T-Shirt Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Bearcats
RE: First clf negatives
(02-20-2017 10:47 AM)rosewater Wrote:  Is coach moving copeland from the interior and back to de. I thought it was a good move to the interior. Also moving mohoun back to lb. I thought he was a good de. What does all this mean for perry young. I could see young transfer.

I don't think Young would transfer. He's more of the nickel S/LB hybrid (the position I believe they recruited Jarell White for) so I don't think Mouhon back to LB would affect Young much.

02-20-2017 11:04 AM
uchoops Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(02-20-2017 10:47 AM)rosewater Wrote:  Is coach moving copeland from the interior and back to de. I thought it was a good move to the interior. Also moving mohoun back to lb. I thought he was a good de. What does all this mean for perry young. I could see young transfer.

why is it a negative? he is evaluating the roster...isn't that one of his responsibilities?

02-20-2017 11:07 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2017 11:07 AM)uchoops Wrote:  

why is it a negative? he is evaluating the roster...isn't that one of his responsibilities?

sorry, I am a little myopic. In my mind a negative.

02-20-2017 11:19 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
I think i would probably defer all personnel matters to the guy who has been playing and coaching at a high level defensively all his life.

02-20-2017 11:24 AM
Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I don't really think we could call these negatives until we see what they look like on the field.

02-20-2017 11:26 AM
Advertisement

rosewater Offline
Heisman

See, I do not agree that we should reserve judgement. Do we only reserve judgement about potential negatives. Most of us myself included have been pleased with all the positive moves by clf. By this rationale, we should not opine about that either, since we are not as capable or experienced to judge. I like discussion about player moves. I like to hear opinions and rationale for these moves. These recent moves could be a positive. I would like to know why.

02-20-2017 11:45 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
To me, these moves maybe signify a change in scheme. If you're moving a guy who has been playing DE and putting on weight to match back to OLB along with moving a slightly undersized DT (260lbs is small for a 4-3 DT, but not for a 5-technique in a three man front) to DE...maybe there is a 3-3 Nickel or 3-4 in our future? I'll reserve judgement until the on-field product, since every second of our HC's football career (playing and coaching) has been on the defensive side of the ball and I'm a special teams guy.

If there is a 3-front type defense coming out, it would explain them pushing for DL in this coming class, as well as them going after an NT type player late like Hutch. If they run a stack (3-3-5) Jerrell White, Perry Young, RJ Potts, etc. could thrive in the Rover position.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 11:56 AM by BearcatMan.)
02-20-2017 11:50 AM
WalterSobchak Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MY BEARCATS
(02-20-2017 11:24 AM)dsquare Wrote:  I think i would probably defer all personnel matters to the guy who has been playing and coaching at a high level defensively all his life.

This X1000.

02-20-2017 11:53 AM
Racinejake Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(02-20-2017 11:53 AM)WalterSobchak Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 11:24 AM)dsquare Wrote:  I think i would probably defer all personnel matters to the guy who has been playing and coaching at a high level defensively all his life.

This X1000.

If fairness, a lot of people said the same thing about the previous coach early on (and for some even as the Titanic was fully submerged). You know, the one that coached in the SEC and coached the great Hurricane defenses. I think anything and everything is up for discussion and debate. With that said, I have no feelings (either way) about these moves. I'll have a better feel after I see the spring game.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 12:44 PM by Racinejake.)
02-20-2017 12:43 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2017 11:50 AM)BearcatMan Wrote:  To me, these moves maybe signify a change in scheme. If you're moving a guy who has been playing DE and putting on weight to match back to OLB along with moving a slightly undersized DT (260lbs is small for a 4-3 DT, but not for a 5-technique in a three man front) to DE...maybe there is a 3-3 Nickel or 3-4 in our future? I'll reserve judgement until the on-field product, since every second of our HC's football career (playing and coaching) has been on the defensive side of the ball and I'm a special teams guy.

If there is a 3-front type defense coming out, it would explain them pushing for DL in this coming class, as well as them going after an NT type player late like Hutch. If they run a stack (3-3-5) Jerrell White, Perry Young, RJ Potts, etc. could thrive in the Rover position.

Ok, no doubt that Young would be better fitted for the rover position. I thought he played well at the will, but that is a little drastic with his size. I am thinking the 3-4 is on the way. Not nearly as big of an adjustment for either Copeland or Mouhon to their new respective positions.

02-20-2017 12:45 PM
Advertisement

cpawfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
My expectation is that the 2017 season will be about the staff putting the players they have in a defense that fits the personnel they have. With Tenuta and Martinez supporting Freeman plus Fickell being a defense guy, my assumption is that they've already gone through all the video from last season and have a strong idea of what they want to put on the field.

It seemed like the previous staff, in an attempt to have speed on the field, as well as to cover up their recruiting issues, moved DEs inside, LBs to DE, and DBs to LB. My guess is that this coaching staff has the goal of being more appropriate-sized along with counting on Brady Collins and staff to develop speed and power in everyone.

02-20-2017 01:07 PM
doss2 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(02-20-2017 11:19 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

I guess you thought Kelley moving Barwin was a negative?

02-20-2017 01:29 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(02-20-2017 01:29 PM)doss2 Wrote:  
(02-20-2017 11:19 AM)rosewater Wrote:  

I guess you thought Kelley moving Barwin was a negative?

No because we were dreadfully undermanned at de. It made sense. And because of informative posters i would not now see these moves as negative

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 01:46 PM by rosewater.)
02-20-2017 01:44 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
After signing day UC has about 20 defensive linemen on the roster now. I see this as trying to get the most out of what we have to work with since it represents 25% of the available scholarships.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 03:45 PM by rath v2.0.)
02-20-2017 03:14 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
Hahaha, I was expecting to see pics of CLF at the club with some young ladies. Geez, negatives? He's a coach that is coaching.

02-20-2017 03:30 PM
Advertisement

ctipton Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UC and the Reds

DonatorsDonators
When Kevin Mouhon was signed by UC he was a 4 star inside linebacker. I can understand his move back to LB.

02-20-2017 04:10 PM
KCat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
"First CLF Negatives"..... That is a stupid title... How does that make any sense....

02-20-2017 04:31 PM
Bearcat1010 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-20-2017 03:30 PM)BeerCat Wrote:  Hahaha, I was expecting to see pics of CLF at the club with some young ladies. Geez, negatives? He's a coach that is coaching.

Better put him on a three strike limit.
First strike is coaching
Second strike is making me excited about UC football again
If he wins a bowl game he is out of here.

02-20-2017 04:32 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
I'm not liking some of what's beginning to leak out about Fickell. I understand that he's still considering the relative merits of Gold Star vs. Skyline.

02-20-2017 04:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.