Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WAC Coach of the Year
Bookmark and Share
FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU Aggies
WAC Coach of the Year
NMSU is 23-4 on the season even though we had three very good players out for the season.

Sidy Ndir - So - 3-Star Recruit

Marlon Jones - Jr - 3-Star Recruit

Bollo Gnahore - Fr - 3-Star Recruit

Paul Weir has done a great job coaching this squad. He is easily the WAC Coach of the Year.
02-19-2017 05:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: WAC Coach of the Year
Barnes will get it.
02-19-2017 07:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
(02-19-2017 07:02 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  Barnes will get it.

Don't be so callous, CP. Coach is needing some hugs at the moment. Here you are CA. Isn't that all better?

[Image: d27d7e39d596ba4a0852907473ce216b.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2017 10:20 PM by RunnerBall.)
02-19-2017 10:18 PM
gleadley Offline
1st String

I Root For: GCU
I'm really impressed by the job first year coach Weir has done. He probably deserves it, but Barnes wouldn't shock me either. Especially if CSUB wins out and finishes atop the WAC.
02-19-2017 10:32 PM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

(02-19-2017 10:32 PM)gleadley Wrote:  I'm really impressed by the job first year coach Weir has done. He probably deserves it, but Barnes wouldn't shock me either. Especially if CSUB wins out and finishes atop the WAC.

When is the vote anyway, before or after tourney? That may affect things.
02-19-2017 10:35 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(02-19-2017 10:35 PM)RunnerBall Wrote:  
(02-19-2017 10:32 PM)gleadley Wrote:  I'm really impressed by the job first year coach Weir has done. He probably deserves it, but Barnes wouldn't shock me either. Especially if CSUB wins out and finishes atop the WAC.

When is the vote anyway, before or after tourney? That may affect things.

Before.
02-19-2017 11:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

1st String

Barnes doesn't deserve anything except a loss in Las Vegas.
02-19-2017 11:34 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(02-19-2017 11:34 PM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  Barnes doesn't deserve anything except a loss in Las Vegas.

Yeah, but he is still going to get coach of the year.
02-20-2017 10:33 AM
SeattleVandals Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Seattle U
(02-19-2017 05:23 PM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  NMSU is 23-4 on the season even though we had three very good players out for the season.

Paul Weir has done a great job coaching this squad. He is easily the WAC Coach of the Year.

Why not post Ndirs stats? Thats what matters, not his high school star rating when hes a junior. Thats completely irrelevant now.

The other two have done nothing in their careers to make anything seem more impressive than 23-4. Jones' 5.7 ppg career is from 3 games and 10 points of his 17 came against Arizona Christian. Gnahore hasnt played yet.

Also, Barnes is COY unless they blow the lead they have on NMSU and let NMSU win the conf regular season title. Then it would be Wier
02-20-2017 12:06 PM
1st String

Barnes will probably get it, but for Weir to go 26-4 in his first year is very impressive. He is the real COY for the WAC.
02-20-2017 02:46 PM
NMSUPistolPete Offline
All American

I Root For: NMSU
(02-20-2017 12:06 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  
(02-19-2017 05:23 PM)FINALFOUR1970SWEETSIXTEEN1992 Wrote:  NMSU is 23-4 on the season even though we had three very good players out for the season.

Why not post Ndirs stats? Thats what matters, not his high school star rating when hes a junior. Thats completely irrelevant now.

The other two have done nothing in their careers to make anything seem more impressive than 23-4. Jones' 5.7 ppg career is from 3 games and 10 points of his 17 came against Arizona Christian. Gnahore hasnt played yet.

Also, Barnes is COY unless they blow the lead they have on NMSU and let NMSU win the conf regular season title. Then it would be Wier

At this point their star rating is probably a moot point. However, I think he is just trying to highlight their potential. The bigger problem is the size and depth we lost with their injuries. Ndir was a starter before his injury. But we lost size and depth with Marlon Jones' and Bollo Gnahore's injuries. There is no guarantee either big man would have put up major stats. But it would have allowed Coach Weir the depth to keep the pressure on defensively; wearing down opponents.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2017 03:24 PM by NMSUPistolPete.)
02-20-2017 03:22 PM
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

Last year NMSU won the WAC regular season title with a 13-1 record and Barnes got COY with a 2nd place CSUB team. If Weir does not get COY with a 26-4 record I don't know what you have to do to win it.
02-20-2017 05:35 PM
CountDooku Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCLA, WAC
(02-20-2017 05:35 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  Last year NMSU won the WAC regular season title with a 13-1 record and Barnes got COY with a 2nd place CSUB team. If Weir does not get COY with a 26-4 record I don't know what you have to do to win it.

I totally agree, it's not only about getting first in the WAC but the total body of work a coach has done. It would be a travesty if Weir is passed up just because he didn't win the regular season title, assuming the Aggies win out.
02-20-2017 05:50 PM
LopesUp Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Grand Canyon
Majerle was 27-7 in his 3rd year coaching and 3rd year of transition and 11-3 in the WAC. Barnes 24-9 and same 11-3 WAC record. Menzies 23-11 13-1 WAC record. In my opinion, Menzies should have won COY last year with Majerle a very close 2nd. I think Weir wins it this season.

Sent from my SM-N920T using CSNbbs mobile app
02-21-2017 01:38 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

(02-21-2017 01:38 AM)LopesUp Wrote:  Majerle was 27-7 in his 3rd year coaching and 3rd year of transition and 11-3 in the WAC. Barnes 24-9 and same 11-3 WAC record. Menzies 23-11 13-1 WAC record. In my opinion, Menzies should have won COY last year with Majerle a very close 2nd. I think Weir wins it this season.

Sent from my SM-N920T using CSNbbs mobile app

Seems like we get a head scratcher or two every year. Martez getting WAC POY 2 seasons ago. Glaze being left off 1st Team All-WAC & Barnes getting COY last year. Menzies beat Barnes in both regular season meetings last year, yet Barnes somehow still walked away with the award. Silly. If NMSU & CSUB both win out, I think COY is more of a coin flip than a "travesty" if Weir doesn't win.

Who gets the snub in this year's WAC awards? I think voters go with 4 guards and Chuha for 1st Team All-WAC, leaving out a very deserving Trayvon Palmer. Matt Smith may also creep up and take a spot that should go to someone else on 1st or 2nd Team, though he only ranks #15 in scoring & #5 rebounding on the season.

If Nick Dixon is anything other than 1st Team, we have confirmation this process is 93% conference politics. If Dedrick Basile wins anything, the whole system is a joke.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 08:26 AM by gleadley.)
02-21-2017 07:54 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

How about the year Wendell Mckines lead the league in BOTH rebounding AND scoring and they gave POY to a kid from Nevada? I disagree about Dedrick Basile. If that kid played for another team he would probably be scoring 20+ a game and assist. Barnes for whatever reason plays that Pride kid who stinks. However, I guess Barnes rotation is working since they keep winning the conference. If Braun wins anything that would be a head scratcher. He has not played up to expectations obviously hampered by injury but he shouldn't even be 2nd team. I don't think Chuha should be 1st team either. Maybe 2nd team. No one from Utah Valley should be on any team either. Maybe Isacc Neilsen for new comer of the year. Other than Dwayne Russell being POY and Ian Baker being 1st team everyone else is up for grabs.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2017 09:39 AM by dancingNMSUaggie.)
02-21-2017 09:27 AM
Advertisement

dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I'm not sure Menzies should have ever won COY. He stunk on his OCC schedule. IMO the whole body of work should be considered, not just WAC play. Barnes lost to a horrible UC Santa Barbara team and his OCC schedule was not that impressive. NMSU's losses are a team that is tied for 1st in the MWC, another MWC team in the top 4, and the two other best teams in the WAC who will both have 20 wins. Wins include a couple of mid major teams who are in 1st place in their conferences and a win over a decent Pac-12 team on the road. All losses on the road as well. 26-4 and that is not a shoe in for COY? If you don't think that is enough than you are either a homer or deep down you just don't want NMSU to win at anything. Once again, that would be like me saying Ian Baker deserves POY over Dwayne Russell. That would be ridiculous and some GCU fans are sounding like that, right gleadley and the guy that LoopsNews on twitter saying Majerle should be COY with a loss to SIU-Edwardsville at home (a team who has not won one conference game yet), and a double overtime win over Chicago State. BTW, gleadley, quit blocking me on twitter!
02-21-2017 09:48 AM
gleadley Offline
1st String

Braun hasn't played up to expectations, but expectations were WAC POY. Tough to reach those heights when you have in season surgery. While he isn't nearly as efficient as last season, Braun's offensive production really isn't that far off from last year. I don't think 2nd Team would be unwarranted.

You lost me on your comments involving myself and LHN, Dancing, but I think I've been pretty consistent in saying I'm impressed by what Weir has done & that he probably deserves it. Twitter is also full of homers & haters alike. I'm not sure that it's fair to single out LHN for expressing his opinion on the matter. He is probably on of the nicest GCU fans I've interacted with on Twitter.

As far as blocking you goes, it was probably initially because I don't know which dancing is going to show up in my @s. If it's the "GCU sucks & NMSU is the best" dancing, I get enough of that here. I don't need multiple avenues for you to tell me all the same stuff you've been saying for 2 years. To be fair, though, I think I did recently unblock you. If not, let me know and I will.
02-21-2017 10:55 AM
Trod0 Offline
2nd String

If NMSU wins out Weir should get COY. He would have the most wins in a regular season NMSU has ever had. Player of the year is Russell hands down, if he doesn't get it something is rigged.
02-21-2017 11:55 AM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

"BTW, gleadley, quit blocking me on twitter!"

Classic!!

Currently mobile....but not necessarily upwardly.
02-21-2017 01:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.