ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Experimental NIT Rules
ODUCoach Online
Heisman

I Root For: ODU
Experimental NIT Rules
While I don't think we'll be in the NIT, here are some experimental rules they will be using. This is important because these experiments often end up in the rule book for the regular season a year or so later.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...d-2017-nit

Quote:In the experimental rule regarding resetting the team fouls, the one-and-one free throw bonus will not occur. Instead, teams will shoot two free throws in the following examples:

• Each team is limited to a team total of four personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls) during each 10-minute segment of each half.
• The first 10-minute segment of each half will begin when the ball becomes live to begin the half and will end when the game clock reads 10:00. The second segment will begin when the game clock reads 9:59 and ends when the half ends.
• When a team has reached the four-foul limitation, all subsequent personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls) will be penalized by two free throw attempts.
• Each team’s foul total will reset to zero when any 10-minute segment has ended.
• The rules regarding penalties for fouls in the act of shooting, flagrant fouls or technical fouls will not be affected by this experimental rule and will always result in two free throws unless the rules specifically say otherwise.
• In any overtime period, when a team has reached a total of three personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls), all subsequent personal and technical fouls will be penalized by two free throw attempts.

Quote:In the other experimental rule, the shot clock will remain the same as when play was interrupted or reset to 20 seconds, whichever is greater, at any time any of the following occurs:

• A personal foul by the defense, which results in no free throws, and the ball is inbounded in the front court.
• Any technical foul assessed against the defense, and the ball is inbounded in the front court.
• The game is stopped for a bleeding player or blood on a uniform and the ball is inbounded in the front court.

The NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee wants to see if resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds when the offensive team is taking the ball out of bounds in the front court will increase the number of possessions for each team over the course of a full game, which may also increase scoring.
02-13-2017 11:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ODUCoach Online
Heisman

RE: Experimental NIT Rules
The best news out of this is the elimination of the 1 and 1. We won't have to worry about missing all of those front ends now!
02-13-2017 11:56 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
I typed like three different things and I've deleted them each time. I guess my point is I can understand where the rules are coming from, but I don't really understand for the need to change them. 1 and 1s are bad for us, but I'm not sure how I feel about gameflow when it comes to splitting halves for counting fouls. Suddenly you could be playing a different game as soon as the 10 minute mark happens, and there's no timeout or anything. I think it makes more sense to me if they do it after the 8 minute official timeout if they wanted to change it.

Same thing goes for the shot clock change. I can understand it, but I'm not sure if I like the change. Getting the full shot clock reset can be huge in the late game.
02-13-2017 12:05 PM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

The 10 minute thing screams to me that they're trying as hard as they can to move to quarters.

Not sure if I'm a fan or not.
02-13-2017 12:08 PM
ODUCoach Online
Heisman

(02-13-2017 12:08 PM)Blue_Trombone Wrote:  The 10 minute thing screams to me that they're trying as hard as they can to move to quarters.

Not sure if I'm a fan or not.

From the link:

Quote:The NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee has heard discussion in the college basketball community about possibly changing games to four 10-minute quarters instead of two 20-minute halves. One of the main reasons for contemplating the possible change is to allow for the team fouls to be reset to zero at the end of each 10-minute quarter.

The committee believes resetting the team fouls to zero at the 9:59 mark of each half may have the same effect as resetting the team fouls to zero at the end of each quarter, while at the same time allowing for men’s college basketball to retain the unique format of two 20-minute halves.
02-13-2017 12:11 PM
Advertisement

odu09 Offline
Heisman

So are they essentially saying the only reason to keep two 20 minute halves is because it's unique?
02-13-2017 12:21 PM
Blue_Trombone Online
Heisman

(02-13-2017 12:21 PM)odu09 Wrote:  So are they essentially saying the only reason to keep two 20 minute halves is because it's unique?

Right now having 2 halves instead of 4 quarters affects the flow and strategy of the game. I personally prefer keeping it to two halves. This rule seems like a compromise between the people who want halves and those that want quarters.
02-13-2017 12:46 PM
Monarchblue Online
Heisman

(02-13-2017 12:05 PM)odu09 Wrote:  I typed like three different things and I've deleted them each time. I guess my point is I can understand where the rules are coming from, but I don't really understand for the need to change them. 1 and 1s are bad for us, but I'm not sure how I feel about gameflow when it comes to splitting halves for counting fouls. Suddenly you could be playing a different game as soon as the 10 minute mark happens, and there's no timeout or anything. I think it makes more sense to me if they do it after the 8 minute official timeout if they wanted to change it.

Same thing goes for the shot clock change. I can understand it, but I'm not sure if I like the change. Getting the full shot clock reset can be huge in the late game.
It makes things very confusing... and for what benefit? So in the middle of gameplay, all of a sudden the team fouls reset. Now we have to go to the monitor one more time because someone was fouled at 9:59.3 and to find out whether he shoots freethrows. The NCAA is without a doubt the most confounding irrational institution I have ever seen.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
02-13-2017 12:51 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2017 11:55 AM)ODUCoach Wrote:  While I don't think we'll be in the NIT, here are some experimental rules they will be using. This is important because these experiments often end up in the rule book for the regular season a year or so later.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/...d-2017-nit

Quote:In the experimental rule regarding resetting the team fouls, the one-and-one free throw bonus will not occur. Instead, teams will shoot two free throws in the following examples:

• Each team is limited to a team total of four personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls) during each 10-minute segment of each half.
• The first 10-minute segment of each half will begin when the ball becomes live to begin the half and will end when the game clock reads 10:00. The second segment will begin when the game clock reads 9:59 and ends when the half ends.
• When a team has reached the four-foul limitation, all subsequent personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls) will be penalized by two free throw attempts.
• Each team’s foul total will reset to zero when any 10-minute segment has ended.
• The rules regarding penalties for fouls in the act of shooting, flagrant fouls or technical fouls will not be affected by this experimental rule and will always result in two free throws unless the rules specifically say otherwise.
• In any overtime period, when a team has reached a total of three personal and technical fouls (excluding administrative technical fouls), all subsequent personal and technical fouls will be penalized by two free throw attempts.

Quote:In the other experimental rule, the shot clock will remain the same as when play was interrupted or reset to 20 seconds, whichever is greater, at any time any of the following occurs:

• A personal foul by the defense, which results in no free throws, and the ball is inbounded in the front court.
• Any technical foul assessed against the defense, and the ball is inbounded in the front court.
• The game is stopped for a bleeding player or blood on a uniform and the ball is inbounded in the front court.

The NCAA Men’s Basketball Rules Committee wants to see if resetting the shot clock to 20 seconds when the offensive team is taking the ball out of bounds in the front court will increase the number of possessions for each team over the course of a full game, which may also increase scoring.

I see some good and bad and there could be some improved game flow from it. Ultimately, probably won't like it, but it is annoying when a team is in the bonus with 12 mins left and the game takes for ever.
02-13-2017 12:58 PM
Advertisement

ODUCoach Online
Heisman

(02-13-2017 12:21 PM)odu09 Wrote:  So are they essentially saying the only reason to keep two 20 minute halves is because it's unique?

Yes, that's what they are saying. I think that's terrible reasoning. From what I've seen of the women's game, I like 4 quarters, but I think the way they are trying to implement this change is silly.
02-13-2017 01:39 PM
mac Offline
All American

Leave the dang game alone! Next they will probably just do away with foul shooting altogether. Poor little babies are having so much trouble with them and all.
02-13-2017 02:18 PM
ODUCoach Online
Heisman

(02-13-2017 02:18 PM)mac Wrote:  Leave the dang game alone! Next they will probably just do away with foul shooting altogether. Poor little babies are having so much trouble with them and all.

I don't think the change has anything to do with players' ability to make or not make foul shots. It is much more to do with the fact that too many games become foul shooting contests for the last 7 or 8 minutes when you get some whistle-happy refs.
02-13-2017 02:20 PM
Cyniclone Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-13-2017 01:39 PM)ODUCoach Wrote:  

Yes, that's what they are saying. I think that's terrible reasoning. From what I've seen of the women's game, I like 4 quarters, but I think the way they are trying to implement this change is silly.

Agreed. It seems like they're trying to experiment with quarters by doing everything except literally having quarters, which seems like a half-pregnant way of going about it. Having the fouls reset in the middle of gameplay seems like it could result in unintentional wackiness and confusion.

I presume the other factor in not diving in with legitimate quarters is how to deal with TV timeouts. No longer have them? Have them at the 5-minute mark of the quarter? As it is, deadball timeouts at four-minute intervals effectively divide the game into eighths.
02-13-2017 02:37 PM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Online
Heisman

(02-13-2017 02:18 PM)mac Wrote:  Leave the dang game alone! Next they will probably just do away with foul shooting altogether. Poor little babies are having so much trouble with them and all.
Or stop fouling.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk
02-13-2017 04:14 PM
mac Offline
All American

Yeah, stop fouling!
02-13-2017 05:04 PM
BigBlue23 Offline
2nd String

(02-13-2017 12:05 PM)odu09 Wrote:  I typed like three different things and I've deleted them each time. I guess my point is I can understand where the rules are coming from, but I don't really understand for the need to change them. 1 and 1s are bad for us, but I'm not sure how I feel about gameflow when it comes to splitting halves for counting fouls. Suddenly you could be playing a different game as soon as the 10 minute mark happens, and there's no timeout or anything. I think it makes more sense to me if they do it after the 8 minute official timeout if they wanted to change it.

The thing to keep in mind is despite all of our love for college basketball ratings are spiraling down. The game is very difficult to watch. They are trying to increase scoring. Plain and simple.
02-16-2017 07:13 AM
odu09 Offline
Heisman

After a few more days of thinking about it, I think if they do this they just need to go all the way and make quarters like they do for wbb. All I see out of this 10 minute mark is more time the officials are going to huddle up to discuss if the foul occurred at 10:00 or 9:59. Ain't nobody got time for that! Keeping the game split in 2 halves because "it's unique" is bs reason to keep it that way.
02-16-2017 09:34 AM
Advertisement

Monarchblue Online
Heisman

(02-16-2017 07:13 AM)BigBlue23 Wrote:  

The thing to keep in mind is despite all of our love for college basketball ratings are spiraling down. The game is very difficult to watch. They are trying to increase scoring. Plain and simple.

When will they realize that the more "improvements" they make to the game, the more it struggles to draw interest?

There is one thing that is killing college basketball. All of its ills can be attributed to early entry into the NBA. It doesn't matter what kind of lipstick they put on the pig, it isn't going to make a difference until that issue is solved.
02-16-2017 01:30 PM
Monarchblue Online
Heisman

(02-16-2017 09:34 AM)odu09 Wrote:  After a few more days of thinking about it, I think if they do this they just need to go all the way and make quarters like they do for wbb. All I see out of this 10 minute mark is more time the officials are going to huddle up to discuss if the foul occurred at 10:00 or 9:59. Ain't nobody got time for that! Keeping the game split in 2 halves because "it's unique" is bs reason to keep it that way.

I actually disagree. I do not want college basketball to ever relinquish its uniqueness, and the 20 minute halves are part of that. It seems like every year they want to make the game more like the NBA, well guess what, most college basketball fans hate the NBA.
02-16-2017 01:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.