Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Financial concerns delay new UofM student rec center
Bookmark and Share
3601 Offline
HoopDreams' Daddy

I Root For: Omar Sneed
Financial concerns delay new UofM student rec center
Land bridge still on schedule. Story in the CA.
02-13-2017 11:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Penny Lane Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers &Tigers
RE: Financial concerns delay new UofM student rec center
Somewhat related and dead on as particularly related to BB program (Geoff Calkins Take 5 Today):

5. One last thing about the University of Memphis: There’s some odd public relations work going on over there. The basketball program does the best it can to limit coverage, for a program that would seem to need all the fans it can get. The athletic department spent most of Monday on the radio discussing football ticket increases but delayed releasing what those ticket increases would actually be. And the university announced that the planned new recreation center will be scaled back and delayed in a Sunday “letter to the community” that was rushed out only after media inquiries. So thank heaven for Mike Norvell, who seems to understand the value of exposure and transparency. It’s no coincidence that his program is the one generating the most excitement. Maybe there’s a lesson to be learned.
02-13-2017 03:43 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
I know for a fact that rudd has been hitting up big boosters more so than usual in the past few weeks.
02-13-2017 04:56 PM
NDTiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
I understand postponing the rec center, but I''m more concerned over redesigning it. To be frank, the current design was gorgeous and looked like a tier 1 University facility. Was really impressed with the direction we were headed. Why not raise the student fee for 2 more years and keep it as planned? Offer any class that contributed 4yrs of access even if it means after graduation. Would be a legit reason to come back to campus. $300/year or semester is extremely inexpensive when compared to an annual gym membership. I hope this stirs some action by SGA to keep the plan to date by rallying towards a solution.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2017 06:11 PM by NDTiger.)
02-13-2017 06:08 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(02-13-2017 06:08 PM)NDTiger Wrote:  I understand postponing the rec center, but I''m more concerned over redesigning it. To be frank, the current design was gorgeous and looked like a tier 1 University facility. Was really impressed with the direction we were headed. Why not raise the student fee for 2 more years and keep it as planned? Offer any class that contributed 4yrs of access even if it means after graduation. Would be a legit reason to come back to campus. $300/year or semester is extremely inexpensive when compared to an annual gym membership. I hope this stirs some action by SGA to keep the plan to date by rallying towards a solution.

Students throw a fit when the fee goes up
02-13-2017 06:21 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
As they should.
02-13-2017 06:44 PM
Advertisement

NDTiger Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(02-13-2017 06:21 PM)tiger2000 Wrote:  
(02-13-2017 06:08 PM)NDTiger Wrote:  I understand postponing the rec center, but I''m more concerned over redesigning it. To be frank, the current design was gorgeous and looked like a tier 1 University facility. Was really impressed with the direction we were headed. Why not raise the student fee for 2 more years and keep it as planned? Offer any class that contributed 4yrs of access even if it means after graduation. Would be a legit reason to come back to campus. $300/year or semester is extremely inexpensive when compared to an annual gym membership. I hope this stirs some action by SGA to keep the plan to date by rallying towards a solution.

Students throw a fit when the fee goes up

Nice things cost $$$. A very easy way for youngsters to contribute and get benefit during or post graduation. Very nominal.
02-13-2017 06:55 PM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon

Last I checked (Spring of '16), student activity fees were $600 + per semester. FWIW...
02-13-2017 11:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

(02-13-2017 11:46 PM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  

Last I checked (Spring of '16), student activity fees were $600 + per semester. FWIW...

And a lot of students don't participate in the activities, so they're getting zero benefit.
02-14-2017 01:28 AM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Not to mention that higher tuition costs means more loans, which is with interest.

Let them get out cheaper and let them donate when they become rich - just like the older generations who could actually work full-time to pay for their education - instead of blaming them for a system YOU created.
02-14-2017 01:42 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF
(02-14-2017 01:28 AM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  

And a lot of students don't participate in the activities, so they're getting zero benefit.

Great experience for when they start paying tens of thousands of $$$ in taxes every year once they get their professional careers off the ground.
02-14-2017 05:52 AM
Advertisement

TallTiger Offline
All American

I Root For:
1 class costs what a semester + books did when I went there...very expensive now.
02-14-2017 05:54 AM
KnightLight Offline
Legend

I Root For: UCF

Here were the renderings and video from last fall:

http://www.memphis.edu/cris/newcenter/

[Image: pool.jpg]

[Image: reccenter.jpg]
02-14-2017 06:16 AM
HometownTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Tiger basketball HAS to get back on track fast.
02-14-2017 09:18 AM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

(02-14-2017 06:16 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  

Here were the renderings and video from last fall:

http://www.memphis.edu/cris/newcenter/

[Image: pool.jpg]

[Image: reccenter.jpg]

Are they building a water park over there? we made due with a kiddie pool and a case of beer.
02-14-2017 09:24 AM
FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
(02-14-2017 05:52 AM)KnightLight Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 01:28 AM)roundhouse74 Wrote:  

Great experience for when they start paying tens of thousands of $$$ in taxes every year once they get their professional careers off the ground.

Memphis is still an incredible deal. I didn't pay a dime for my education at Memphis or Georgia Tech. Scholarships paid at Memphis, and my work covered Tech.

You have to understand. Kids want this stuff. You only have to look at enrollment numbers to understand this. We are in a higher education bubble, funded by cheap loans. But if you don't have the best facilitates to recruit students, the best students will go somewhere else.

Memphis's main issue with the rec center is the drop in enrollment, which occurred at every TBR school. Basically, if you view the outcome base formula for 2017-2018, you can look at historical data for the 2009-2012 school years. [1] Students Accumulating 30 hrs is a decent proxy for enrollment.

| Students Accumulating 30 hrs | UM | MTSU | ETSU |
|-------------------------------------+-------+-------+--------|
| 2009-2010 | 3,885 | 5,808 | 3,033 |
| 2010-2011 | 3,283 | 5,079 | 2,586 |
| 2011-2012 | 3,334 | 4,956 | 2,572 |
| 2012-2013 | 3,395 | 4,231 | 2,452 |

In this time, the University of Memphis went from 40% six year graduation rate to 51.1%. I imagine we went up on our standards a bit much. Because of Tennessee Promise, we have a lot of students choosing to attend community college before they attend Memphis.

We will build the rec center. Have faith and keep donating.

[1]- http://tn.gov/assets/entities/thec/attac...email.xlsx
02-14-2017 09:54 AM
Advertisement

FlyingTiger2016 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GaTech
(02-14-2017 09:18 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Tiger basketball HAS to get back on track fast.

Tiger basketball has to do with the drop in enrollment in 2010. Bold thinking.

The recreational center is build with student fees not athletic revenue.
02-14-2017 09:57 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS

I get not raising the student fees/tuition again, but I'm concerned over the redesign as well. If there's one thing we've learned the hard way around here, it's that we can't afford to halfway do anything. If you do it, you commit to a top-tier facility, period.

I also don't agree with putting more $$ into the existing building, either, and certainly not "limited improvements that will see it through the next decade." I get keeping the building for other uses, but that reads to me more like it will still be the rec center during that time.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2017 10:11 AM by tigergreen.)
02-14-2017 10:06 AM
memp600 Offline
Just grinding...

They can never get construction projects right over there. The UC was delayed as well if I'm not mistaken.
02-14-2017 10:14 AM
roundhouse74 Offline
Cynic

(02-14-2017 09:57 AM)FlyingTiger2016 Wrote:  
(02-14-2017 09:18 AM)HometownTiger Wrote:  Tiger basketball HAS to get back on track fast.

Tiger basketball has to do with the drop in enrollment in 2010. Bold thinking.

The recreational center is build with student fees not athletic revenue.

Don't student fees subsidize the athletic program?

"Without the benefit of major conference affiliation, where shared revenue is approaching or has surpassed $30 million per school at Power Five programs, Memphis must rely on institutional support. Last year, the U of M received $8.7 million in direct institutional support, $7.6 million in student fees and $1.9 million in indirect institutional support."
http://sports.usatoday.com/2016/04/17/te...ool-money/
02-14-2017 10:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.