Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Companies plow ahead with moves to Mexico.
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
Companies plow ahead with moves to Mexico.
Think of all the poor suckers that voted for Trump to stop this. Rupert's WSJ no less. i would expect a phone call from the Fuhrer ASAP.

INDIANAPOLIS—President Donald Trump boosted the hopes of employees at Rexnord Corp.’s factory here in December when he castigated the company for “viciously firing” workers and planning to move their jobs to Mexico.

Two months later, Rexnord is still planning to close the industrial-bearings factory, which employs about 350 people, despite Mr. Trump’s shaming and his earlier intervention to stop a nearby Carrier Corp. furnace factory from closing.

Rexnord says moving the plant to Mexico is part of a plan to save $30 million annually. Workers say they have been packing up machines while their replacements, visiting from Mexico, learn how to do their jobs.

“That’s a real kick in the ass to be asked to train your replacement,” said machinist Tim Mathis, who has worked at Rexnord for 12 years. “To train the man that’s going to eat your bread.”

Milwaukee-based Rexnord is one of many companies plowing ahead with plans to invest in Mexico despite Mr. Trump’s vows to cajole companies into keeping their assembly lines in the U.S. Some, including heavy-equipment maker Caterpillar Inc. and steelmaker Nucor Corp., are overseen by officials who belong to a panel advising Mr. Trump on manufacturing policy. Executives at Peoria, Ill.-based Caterpillar are moving ahead with a restructuring that includes shifting jobs from a Joliet, Ill., factory to Monterrey, Mexico. “We’re just going to have to wait and see how this plays,” Caterpillar Chief Financial Officer Brad Halverson said in a January interview, referring to potential Trump-era shifts in trade policy.

A Caterpillar spokeswoman said the company has been reducing its workforce world-wide to stay viable “in the longest downturn in our 92-year history.”

Charlotte, N.C.-based Nucor is moving forward with Japan’s JFE Steel to build a new plant in Mexico to make steel for car makers.

Nucor Chief Executive John Ferriola said those plans could change if new policies penalize U.S. companies that invest in Mexico. “We’re watching the situation in Washington very, very closely,” he told analysts on Jan. 31.

Mr. Trump hasn’t specified what taxes, tariffs or trade deals he might enact in his effort to boost U.S. manufacturing and factory employment.

In late January, the administration announced the creation of a 28-member group of business and labor leaders to help advise the White House “on how best to promote job growth and get Americans back to work again.” Caterpillar Chairman Doug Oberhelman and Nucor’s Mr. Ferriola were named as advisers.

On Wednesday, Intel Corp. CEO Brian Krzanich, after a meeting with the president, announced plans to upgrade an existing facility with a $7 billion investment in Arizona that will employ 3,000 people. Mr. Krzanich, who also is in on the advisory panel, said Intel was encouraged by the new administration’s policies to make the U.S. a more attractive place to do business.

However, the continuing investments abroad underscore the scale of the economic forces that confront Mr. Trump’s plans. The White House didn’t respond to a request for comment.

Manitowoc Foodservice Inc. went ahead with plans to wind down its soft-drink dispenser factory near Sellersburg, Ind., and lay off about 80 employees in the wake of Mr. Trump’s election, according to local officials. The company, which in August had announced plans to shift much of the production to facilities in Mexico, declined to comment. Electronic component maker CTS Corp. still plans to phase out production at its Elkhart, Ind., plant by mid-2018 and shift production to China, Mexico and Taiwan, a spokesman said. The company has said about 230 employees would be affected as part of the restructuring.

Ford Motor Co., which Mr. Trump criticized during his presidential campaign, decided to scrap plans to build a new factory in Mexico and would create 700 new U.S. jobs. But the company said in January it would still shift production of its Focus small car from Michigan to an existing Mexican facility. General Motors Co. is in the process of moving more production to Mexico, despite criticism from Mr. Trump, but has also committed to continue with pre-election plans to add more jobs in the U.S.

Rexnord Chief Executive Todd Adams said in a December letter to employees that U.S. workers still accounted for more than half of its approximately 8,000-employee workforce. The company has operations across the globe, including Europe, Asia and Africa.

While Rexnord hasn’t specified how many of the Indianapolis jobs would move to Mexico, it is expected to keep about 25 office jobs there and in Milwaukee.

Mr. Adams declined interview requests through a spokeswoman, who didn’t respond to requests for comment.

In an earnings call with analysts last week, Mr. Adams said the company didn’t think the move to Mexico would be “something that we would regret.”

“But you know, to be determined, obviously, depending on what happens,” he said.

Rexnord workers in Indianapolis weren’t optimistic about their prospects if the sprawling plant in an industrial zone near the airport closes down. Some said they had refused to help train the workers from Mexico who will replace them. Rexnord has said they aren’t required to help, and offered extra pay to those that do.

The workers worried about finding jobs that paid as well—about $25 an hour, excluding overtime, according to their union, the United Steelworkers Local 1999. They fretted about mortgage, car and tuition payments.

At a rally last week attended by workers hoping for a last-minute reprieve, speakers criticized “corporate greed” and trade deals such as the North American Free Trade Agreement with Canada and Mexico. Former Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders addressed the crowd via a prerecorded video message.

“It just puzzles me to think that they have to [reduce costs] by dumping us out,” said Gary Canter, a machinist who has worked at the Rexnord factory for eight years. “It’s very un-American.”

Mr. Canter said he voted for Mr. Trump. He remained hopeful the president would ultimately boost manufacturing, creating new jobs for his colleagues elsewhere even if the Rexnord plant isn’t spared.

“We gave this man a chance because it wasn’t a typical politician that’s done nothing for us. So far he hasn't delivered.” Mr. Canter said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/rexnord-plo...1486555201
02-10-2017 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

appst89 Offline
Herding Cats

I Root For: Appalachian St.
RE: Companies plow ahead with moves to Mexico.
" So far he hasn't delivered.”

He's been in office 4 weeks.

Ridiculous article. Ridiculous thread. But to be expected.
02-10-2017 11:28 AM
LeFlâneur Offline
Banned

I Root For: USC
The sooner we get a lower corporate tax and less regulation, the tide will turn.

It's a process.
02-10-2017 11:30 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UofL
Typical idiot post by the op.
(This post was last modified: 02-10-2017 11:39 AM by Dasville.)
02-10-2017 11:34 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
So Mach is butthurt that Trump hasnt overturned 8 years of Obama in his first 20 days?
02-10-2017 11:37 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
The WSJ isn't worth the paper it's written on. I always see their advertisements for subscriptions on social media, 2 months for a $1.

RIP fake news MSM.
02-10-2017 11:37 AM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
02-10-2017 11:41 AM
Advertisement

UTSAMarineVet09 Offline
Corporal of the Board.

I Root For: UTSA
not this **** again...
02-10-2017 11:42 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(02-10-2017 11:37 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  So Mach is butthurt that Trump hasnt overturned 8 years of Obama in his first 20 days?

Stock market is through the roof! Retirement accounts, 401ks, pension plans all look much better now. The bitching is coming from the college students who owe $100,000 for a useless degree.
02-10-2017 11:43 AM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(02-10-2017 11:24 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Think of all the poor suckers that voted for Trump to stop this.

Think of all the poor suckers that voted for Obama to stop the Iraq War like he promised. How many of them lost family members waiting for "it's the first thing I'll do, you can take that to the bank"?

BTW, if Trump federally legalizes marijuana he'll put a HUGE hurt on the differential between Mexican and US labor (Mexican labor costs will rise). If he does that and also changes cocaine sentencing to emphasize medical treatment over punishment he'll literally kill off the cartels entirely and Mexican labor will lurch upward quickly in cost.

So while jobs and manufacturing will continue to pour into Mexico, what these people are seeking is the differential between US and Mexican labor. Make in Mexico for cheap, sell in the US for not cheap through NAFTA, profit on the differential. It is *easily* within US policy making grasp to close that gap substantially. Manufacturing that depends on cheap labor is running around searching for a new home after Chinese wages exploded through the roof. These are ultimately jobs that will never come back. If the plants come back to the US they'll be highly automated ones. So while they'll be in the US to counter higher labor costs they'll be more automated.
02-10-2017 11:45 AM
Advertisement

Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
(02-10-2017 11:30 AM)LeFlâneur Wrote:  The sooner we get a lower corporate tax and less regulation, the tide will turn.

It's a process.

Yeah...We are not even a month in yet. A bit fast to make such claims IMO.
02-10-2017 11:54 AM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(02-10-2017 11:45 AM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(02-10-2017 11:24 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  Think of all the poor suckers that voted for Trump to stop this.

Think of all the poor suckers that voted for Obama to stop the Iraq War like he promised. How many of them lost family members waiting for "it's the first thing I'll do, you can take that to the bank"?

BTW, if Trump federally legalizes marijuana he'll put a HUGE hurt on the differential between Mexican and US labor (Mexican labor costs will rise). If he does that and also changes cocaine sentencing to emphasize medical treatment over punishment he'll literally kill off the cartels entirely and Mexican labor will lurch upward quickly in cost.

So while jobs and manufacturing will continue to pour into Mexico, what these people are seeking is the differential between US and Mexican labor. Make in Mexico for cheap, sell in the US for not cheap through NAFTA, profit on the differential. It is *easily* within US policy making grasp to close that gap substantially. Manufacturing that depends on cheap labor is running around searching for a new home after Chinese wages exploded through the roof. These are ultimately jobs that will never come back. If the plants come back to the US they'll be highly automated ones. So while they'll be in the US to counter higher labor costs they'll be more automated.

For sure the jobs that can be automated will be automated. I just hope the robots are built here in the US by union workers and the engineers that manage the robots are legal Americans educated here, and the minerals used to make the robots are mined by American minors in America and built with American Steel formed and shaped by American hands.
02-10-2017 12:00 PM
cb4029 Offline
The spoon that stirs the pot.

I Root For: Deez Nuts

Donators
(02-10-2017 11:37 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  So Mach is butthurt that Trump hasnt overturned 8 years of Obama in his first 20 days?

I didn't know that the movement of companies to Mexico started with Obama. Please tell me more. 05-stirthepot
02-10-2017 12:26 PM
Advertisement

Fitbud Offline
Banned

I Root For: PAC 12
(02-10-2017 11:30 AM)LeFlâneur Wrote:  The sooner we get a lower corporate tax and less regulation, the tide will turn.

It's a process.

Maybe the Labor Secretary will abolish the minimum wage. Otherwise, I don't see how companies would find enough workers willing to do it.
02-10-2017 12:31 PM
Dasville Offline
Heisman

(02-10-2017 12:31 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

It's a process.

Maybe the Labor Secretary will abolish the minimum wage. Otherwise, I don't see how companies would find enough workers willing to do it.

Once Govt assistance isnt competitive with an actual job, the workers will appear.
02-10-2017 12:48 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(02-10-2017 12:31 PM)Fitbud Wrote:  

It's a process.

let's hope so.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
02-10-2017 12:59 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.