Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What's wrong with having three NFL teams in LA?
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
What's wrong with having three NFL teams in LA?
I'm really curious about this. MLB used to have 3 teams in NYC (the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers), and the NHL currently has 3 teams in NYC (the Rangers, the Devils, and the Islanders). Why would LA having the Rams, the Raiders, and the Chargers be a bad thing? Also, why do people in LA have a view of Raiders fans as "thugs?" They have really changed a lot over the years, IMO.
02-06-2017 04:20 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
RE: What's wrong with having three NFL teams in LA?
(02-06-2017 04:20 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  I'm really curious about this. MLB used to have 3 teams in NYC (the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers), and the NHL currently has 3 teams in NYC (the Rangers, the Devils, and the Islanders). Why would LA having the Rams, the Raiders, and the Chargers be a bad thing? Also, why do people in LA have a view of Raiders fans as "thugs?" They have really changed a lot over the years, IMO.

Where would the third team play? Three teams in one stadium won't work.

The reason people in LA view Raiders fans as thugs is because they are. The Raiders are extremely popular with LA gangs.
02-06-2017 07:47 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
It could be done but I think it'd be too much, too soon. LA just went two full decades without a team and for certain, unless they win big, the Chargers are gonna struggle to gain fans while the Rams may as well. While the Raiders are more popular than both in LA, it'd still be asking a lot to add a third team to the pot unless the Raiders moved to Anaheim or the IE, which is too poor to support much of anything. This isn't a situation like the Giants and Jets where they have been entrenched as local teams for over half a century, LA's teams haven't been stable that long nor is it as diehard as many other places.

Honestly, the best case scenario is the Raiders and Rams playing in LA and the Chargers in Southern Orange County. That's the only way the market could bare three teams, at least right now.
02-06-2017 08:02 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-06-2017 07:47 AM)lew240z Wrote:  Where would the third team play? Three teams in one stadium won't work.

The reason people in LA view Raiders fans as thugs is because they are. The Raiders are extremely popular with LA gangs.

They need to swallow their pride and just move in with the Niners. What other option do they currently have?
02-06-2017 08:07 AM
lew240z Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Wyoming
(02-06-2017 08:07 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 07:47 AM)lew240z Wrote:  Where would the third team play? Three teams in one stadium won't work.

They need to swallow their pride and just move in with the Niners. What other option do they currently have?

They can stay where they are. They might be able to negotiate an arrangement with Cal.
02-06-2017 08:15 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(02-06-2017 08:02 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  It could be done but I think it'd be too much, too soon. LA just went two full decades without a team and for certain, unless they win big, the Chargers are gonna struggle to gain fans while the Rams may as well. While the Raiders are more popular than both in LA, it'd still be asking a lot to add a third team to the pot unless the Raiders moved to Anaheim or the IE, which is too poor to support much of anything. This isn't a situation like the Giants and Jets where they have been entrenched as local teams for over half a century, LA's teams haven't been stable that long nor is it as diehard as many other places.

Honestly, the best case scenario is the Raiders and Rams playing in LA and the Chargers in Southern Orange County. That's the only way the market could bare three teams, at least right now.

I can actually see that happening, given the already giant rift that exists between the Chargers owner and the Rams owner. Mark Davis is so desperate to leave Oakland that I doubt he would turn down sharing a stadium with the Rams. The Levi Stadium is a different bird though although it does have similarities. Even though Levi Stadium was built for two teams, sports fans from San Francisco and Oakland can't stand each other, because both have a lot of a civic pride. The same situation did not/does not exist between Raider fans and Rams fans. I'll put it to you like this: could you get Texas & Texas A&M to share a stadium like Levi Stadium somewhere/anywhere in Texas? Or could get USC & UCLA to share Farmers' Stadium in LA? Then compare that to USC or UCLA sharing a stadium with SDSU hypothetically speaking ? Would Texas or TAMU be willing to share a stadium with Baylor, SMU, or Rice?
02-06-2017 10:35 AM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
(02-06-2017 08:15 AM)lew240z Wrote:  They can stay where they are. They might be able to negotiate an arrangement with Cal.

Cal's stadium, while beautiful in a picturesque setting kind of way, is very far short of an NFL stadium and would be a royal pain in the rear for Raiders fans to get to and park around.
02-06-2017 12:09 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(02-06-2017 08:15 AM)lew240z Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 08:07 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  

They can stay where they are. They might be able to negotiate an arrangement with Cal.

Nope. In order to settle a lawsuit filed by NIMBYs when Cal was renovating Memorial Stadium, the university agreed that the stadium would hold a maximum of 8 "large events" each year. Cal football games are 6 or 7 of those. The effect is to block a 2nd football team and to limit the stadium to 1 or 2 concerts (or international soccer matches, or whatever) each year.
02-06-2017 12:51 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-06-2017 10:35 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 08:02 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  It could be done but I think it'd be too much, too soon. LA just went two full decades without a team and for certain, unless they win big, the Chargers are gonna struggle to gain fans while the Rams may as well. While the Raiders are more popular than both in LA, it'd still be asking a lot to add a third team to the pot unless the Raiders moved to Anaheim or the IE, which is too poor to support much of anything. This isn't a situation like the Giants and Jets where they have been entrenched as local teams for over half a century, LA's teams haven't been stable that long nor is it as diehard as many other places.

I can actually see that happening, given the already giant rift that exists between the Chargers owner and the Rams owner. Mark Davis is so desperate to leave Oakland that I doubt he would turn down sharing a stadium with the Rams. The Levi Stadium is a different bird though although it does have similarities. Even though Levi Stadium was built for two teams, sports fans from San Francisco and Oakland can't stand each other, because both have a lot of a civic pride. The same situation did not/does not exist between Raider fans and Rams fans. I'll put it to you like this: could you get Texas & Texas A&M to share a stadium like Levi Stadium somewhere/anywhere in Texas? Or could get USC & UCLA to share Farmers' Stadium in LA? Then compare that to USC or UCLA sharing a stadium with SDSU hypothetically speaking ? Would Texas or TAMU be willing to share a stadium with Baylor, SMU, or Rice?

When you don't have a choice, you don't have a choice. Most of those are bad examples anyways. The Vegas thing fell through, they can either play in a rotting corpse or play where they can.
02-06-2017 03:07 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
(02-06-2017 07:47 AM)lew240z Wrote:  
(02-06-2017 04:20 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  I'm really curious about this. MLB used to have 3 teams in NYC (the Yankees, the Giants, and the Dodgers), and the NHL currently has 3 teams in NYC (the Rangers, the Devils, and the Islanders). Why would LA having the Rams, the Raiders, and the Chargers be a bad thing? Also, why do people in LA have a view of Raiders fans as "thugs?" They have really changed a lot over the years, IMO.

Where would the third team play? Three teams in one stadium won't work.

I am not saying its a good idea, but it is possible schedule-wise to have 3 NFL teams share 1 stadium as the home team.

Assuming a 17 week schedule and there can be only 1 game per day, then each team would need a schedule something like this

5 home games on a Sunday
1 home game on a Monday
1 home game on a thursday
1 home game on a Saturday
8 home games total

Or if you counting for all 3 teams

15 home games on a Sunday
3 home games on a Monday
3 home games on a thursday
3 home games on a Saturday
24 home games total

So it is possible.

For the playoffs, it is no problem, if you assume 2 of the 3 teams sharing the stadium are in the same division, then it is not possible for those 2 teams to host a playoff game on the same weekend.

Now if all 3 teams are in 3 different divisions, then there is a small chance all 3 teams could be hosting a playoff game on the same weekend, then they might have to play 1 playoff game on Monday night.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2017 03:55 PM by goofus.)
02-06-2017 03:23 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice Owls
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonators

While I think your first sentence is too optimistic, I agree with the remainder of this post. Good assessment.

I think the Raiders moving to LA now might just kill the Chargers, or at least Spanos's ownership. A huge portion of the folks buying Chargers tickets will be local Raiders fans. You bring the Raiders in and those folks don't buy Chargers tix. Spanos is (or is about to be) highly leveraged to pay off the relocation fee and his cash flow will be crushed without very good attendance. At that point he might have to sell a portion or all of the team just to stay afloat.
02-06-2017 03:35 PM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

LA itself can't support 3 teams but LA and the OC could. But it's asking way too much for it to go from 0 teams to 3 in only two or three years. It'd have to be 15 years or so to prove 2 could be supported. This is a region that lost two teams and didn't skip a beat, you'd be stupid to add a third given the history.
02-06-2017 10:44 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(02-06-2017 10:44 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  LA itself can't support 3 teams but LA and the OC could. But it's asking way too much for it to go from 0 teams to 3 in only two or three years. It'd have to be 15 years or so to prove 2 could be supported. This is a region that lost two teams and didn't skip a beat, you'd be stupid to add a third given the history.

The idea of putting the Chargers in South OC is an interesting one. Gives the SD fans a relatively short drive, and there's still a fair amount of open space to build a stadium down here. But with a low density and population of little more than half a million I doubt you could convince anyone to move a team here. The Rams really struggled in Anaheim (admittedly, in a terrible stadium and with a horrible owner). Look, the jury's still out on two NFL teams in the LA area. A third will have no chance until/unless Rams and Chargers (or Rams and Raiders, or whatever) can create their own sustainable fan bases.
02-06-2017 11:58 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

Agreed...
02-07-2017 12:14 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

Sure, if Orange County decided to publicly finance an open-air, NFL quality, football stadium ... the Chargers could move to that.

Probably cost $750M-$1B. 8 NFL games most years, plus say a handful of other big events.

Max contribution by Spanos guessing like $200M.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 11:27 AM by MplsBison.)
02-07-2017 11:26 AM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(02-07-2017 11:26 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Sure, if Orange County decided to publicly finance an open-air, NFL quality, football stadium ...

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
02-07-2017 11:48 AM
Advertisement

C2__ Offline
Caltex2

(02-07-2017 11:26 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Sure, if Orange County decided to publicly finance an open-air, NFL quality, football stadium ... the Chargers could move to that.

Probably cost $750M-$1B. 8 NFL games most years, plus say a handful of other big events.

The only chance would be if the Halos needed a new stadium and it could be shared with an NFL team, including with retractable/tapped off seating. That's not all that unrealistic, the Angels play in an old stadium.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 02:43 PM by C2__.)
02-07-2017 02:42 PM
Brookes Owl Offline
Heisman

(02-07-2017 02:42 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 11:26 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Sure, if Orange County decided to publicly finance an open-air, NFL quality, football stadium ... the Chargers could move to that.

The only chance would be if the Halos needed a new stadium and it could be shared with an NFL team, including with retractable/tapped off seating. That's not all that unrealistic, the Angels play in an old stadium.

WHAT?! There's a reason that Oakland is the only stadium with MLB and NFL tenants. The geometry just doesn't work. And further to the point - the Angels have already shared a stadium with a NFL team - it was a disaster. And I don't need to repeat the point about public funding...
02-07-2017 04:21 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

It was just hypothetical and not meant to be taken serious.
02-07-2017 04:33 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(02-07-2017 11:48 AM)Brookes Owl Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 11:26 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Sure, if Orange County decided to publicly finance an open-air, NFL quality, football stadium ...

03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao

While I'm not suggesting that residents of OC aren't adverse to using public dollars to pay for public amenities, like stadiums, parks, trails, etc., the point was that no one would sink $750M-$1B of private investment into an open air football stadium that hosts eight NFL games and maybe a few other events per year.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 05:37 PM by MplsBison.)
02-07-2017 05:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.