Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trump begins rollback of Dodd-Frank financial regulations
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Trump begins rollback of Dodd-Frank financial regulations
Quote:President Trump signed an executive order Friday taking aim at the regulatory labyrinth created by Dodd-Frank, the massive 24,000-page law passed in the wake of the 2008 financial crisis.

“We expect to be cutting a lot out of Dodd-Frank,” Trump said, after morning meetings with business leaders.

Link

The Dodd-Frank Act explained
02-03-2017 06:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
RE: Trump begins rollback of Dodd-Frank financial regulations
Mistake.

This is going to end in more people losing everything trading sub-prime mortgages. The banks don't care if they fail since they'll be getting bailed out anyway. The saddest part about it is that we're all so stupid that we'll buy what we can't afford anyway - just 10 years after the last collapse.

I'm in architecture. I hope that I don't have to move after this next bubble bursts just to find work. I don't want to leave.
02-03-2017 10:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EverRespect Offline
Free Kaplony

I Root For: ODU
(02-03-2017 10:24 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Mistake.

This is going to end in more people losing everything trading sub-prime mortgages. The banks don't care if they fail since they'll be getting bailed out anyway. The saddest part about it is that we're all so stupid that we'll buy what we can't afford anyway - just 10 years after the last collapse.

I'm in architecture. I hope that I don't have to move after this next bubble bursts just to find work. I don't want to leave.
People make their own decisions. Anyone stupid enough not to learn from history and trade in subprime mortgages deserve what they get. Personally, Id love another bubble. I bought at the peak in 07 (big rookie mistake) and have paid my mortgage for 10 years, but still underwater. Luckily I got a conventional mortgage. Id love to get out of this hellhole. I am responsible and have top credit and make pretty good money, but being stuck suks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
02-03-2017 10:35 PM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis

The saddest part is that Obama told the justice department not to throw any of his wall st friends who were responsible for the illegal actions that took place in jail. If you give a damned about anything of what you just said, you would call Obama out here and now. In fact you shoul dhave called him out on it a year or so ago when he made up his mind to protect his wall st friends.
02-04-2017 11:49 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(02-04-2017 11:49 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  

The saddest part is that Obama told the justice department not to throw any of his wall st friends who were responsible for the illegal actions that took place in jail. If you give a damned about anything of what you just said, you would call Obama out here and now. In fact you shoul dhave called him out on it a year or so ago when he made up his mind to protect his wall st friends.

I didn't remove Obama from any responsibility in this. I just reacted to current news.
02-04-2017 11:58 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Dodd-Frank Act was also known as Goldman Sach's law. Guess who in charge will be coming up with new laws to replace it? People who were Goldman Sach's at the time they wrecked this economy.
02-04-2017 11:59 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(02-04-2017 11:58 AM)oliveandblue Wrote:  

I didn't remove Obama from any responsibility in this. I just reacted to current news.

There's a difference between "not removing responsibility" and "speaking out". Right now you are speaking out. When your guy is in office, you sit silent. It means you really dont care about the subject matter, only who is dealing with the subject matter.
02-04-2017 12:25 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

Dodd-Frank has had two primary impacts on the banking industry:

1) Increased concentration, as small banks cannot afford the regulatory exercises, so they either fold or merge into larger banks, and
2) Substantially increased difficulty in lending/borrowing, placing a ceiling on upside growth potential.

I have a difficult time seeing either one of those as a positive. But what should we expect from a bill drafted by, and bearing the names of, two criminals who should be in prison for their roles in causing the bank crisis and recession?
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 12:57 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-04-2017 12:57 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(02-04-2017 12:25 PM)UofMstateU Wrote:  
There's a difference between "not removing responsibility" and "speaking out". Right now you are speaking out. When your guy is in office, you sit silent. It means you really dont care about the subject matter, only who is dealing with the subject matter.

I have spoken out against Shrub, I've spoken out against Zero, and I've spoken out against Trump. For those who missed it, I oppose the wall, I oppose the tariffs, and I would have done the "Muslim ban" (which isn't a ban and not really aimed at Muslims) a different way. The real issue is countries that either don't have or are unwilling to provide sufficient data to enable comprehensive and accurate background checks to be conducted.

O&B, Dodd-Frank is a disaster. It needs massive changes. Its regulatory requirements have driven small banks out, leading to a more concentrated industry. Its lending restrictions have essentially shut down bank lending. And don't worry, you're not going to get drowned in another round of sub-primes.
02-04-2017 01:05 PM
nzmorange Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UAB

Repealing DF would be a colossal mistake that will spark a short boom (which we might already be seeing) and a crash shortly thereafter within ~1 year. DF has flaws, but it also has some extremely good safeguards. Banking regulations is markedly more complicated than I think anyone here realizes. There is no such thing as a perfect regulation. They will all always be works in process, so the existence of flaws is not grounds for a complete repeal.

Secondly, not pushing for jail time was a huge mistake in the last go-around. But I'm not sure if the DoJ even has the structural mechanisms (i.e. the right people w/ the right training, w/ the right experience) to successfully litigate these cases on a large scale against very good defense attorneys and consistently win in an efficient manner. That needs to change (but it won't).
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 01:21 PM by nzmorange.)
02-04-2017 01:18 PM
b0ndsj0ns Offline
Legend

I Root For: ECU
Obama's drone program and his bailing out/not prosecuting anyone over the sub prime crisis was shameful.
02-04-2017 01:25 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
The people who should have been prosecuted are Chris Dodd, Barney Frank, Franklin Raines, and Jamie Gorelick.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 01:34 PM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-04-2017 01:34 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(02-04-2017 12:57 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Dodd-Frank has had two primary impacts on the banking industry:

1) Increased concentration, as small banks cannot afford the regulatory exercises, so they either fold or merge into larger banks, and
2) Substantially increased difficulty in lending/borrowing, placing a ceiling on upside growth potential.

I have a difficult time seeing either one of those as a positive. But what should we expect from a bill drafted by, and bearing the names of, two criminals who should be in prison for their roles in causing the bank crisis and recession?

Both Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders have been up to point said that the big banks got away with murder while the little banks struggle. That is what the Goldman Sach's do. They gobbled up the smaller banks. One of the biggest small bank that went under for making bad loans were banks in Arizona and Nevada that was run by John McCain's son. Why do you think John McCain lured Obama to vote for the bailout? John McCain was the big guy who wanted the bail out for the banks.
02-04-2017 01:41 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU

The next financial blowup will probably start in car loans, student loans, or commercial real estate loans. I'd really watch out for commercial real estate loans. There's a lot of loans out there in that sector and the impact of the move to online retailing will cause that industry to start to falter. It is a time for MORE oversight of the banks, not less.

Of course, adding a bunch of incentives for 'too big to fail' banks to start gambling big again on financial derivatives isn't a good idea either way.

The impact of these regulations will be a temporary rise in financial services stocks, and ultra high end NYC real estate. For the top 0.01 percent
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 06:30 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
02-04-2017 06:28 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-03-2017 10:35 PM)EverRespect Wrote:  

People make their own decisions. Anyone stupid enough not to learn from history and trade in subprime mortgages deserve what they get. Personally, Id love another bubble. I bought at the peak in 07 (big rookie mistake) and have paid my mortgage for 10 years, but still underwater. Luckily I got a conventional mortgage. Id love to get out of this hellhole. I am responsible and have top credit and make pretty good money, but being stuck suks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

And if banks fail all the executives' stock options become worthless. Saying they don't care if they fail is just demonstrating you have no understanding of corporations and business.
02-04-2017 06:31 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-04-2017 06:28 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

The next financial blowup will probably start in car loans, student loans, or commercial real estate loans. I'd really watch out for commercial real estate loans. There's a lot of loans out there in that sector and the impact of the move to online retailing will cause that industry to start to falter. It is a time for MORE oversight of the banks, not less.

Of course, adding a bunch of incentives for 'too big to fail' banks to start gambling big again on financial derivatives isn't a good idea either way.

The impact of these regulations will be a temporary rise in financial services stocks, and ultra high end NYC real estate. For the top 0.01 percent

Banks are still ultra-cautious. Its hard to get real estate financing. Its going to take a few years before they forget what happened.

Kind of like the oil business. Huge boom in Texas in mid 50s and then the industry stagnated until late 70s. Collapse started in 1982 and it fell through the floor in 1986. There was a bumper stick you would see, "Lord please give me another oil boom and I promise not to p___ this one away." By 1980 most of the people who learned to be cautious in the late 50s had retired.

Texas didn't have nearly the real estate collapse like the rest of the country in 2008, because the collapse of 1986-1987 was still within memory for the local bankers. They were cautious while the rest of the country was going nuts.
02-04-2017 06:37 PM
Advertisement

Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
(02-04-2017 06:37 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 06:28 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  

Banks are still ultra-cautious. Its hard to get real estate financing. Its going to take a few years before they forget what happened.

Kind of like the oil business. Huge boom in Texas in mid 50s and then the industry stagnated until late 70s. Collapse started in 1982 and it fell through the floor in 1986. There was a bumper stick you would see, "Lord please give me another oil boom and I promise not to p___ this one away." By 1980 most of the people who learned to be cautious in the late 50s had retired.

Texas didn't have nearly the real estate collapse like the rest of the country in 2008, because the collapse of 1986-1987 was still within memory for the local bankers. They were cautious while the rest of the country was going nuts.

Also, Texas banned home equity loans until 1997. And even then, they couldn't be for more than 80% of the home's value.
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 06:58 PM by Tom in Lazybrook.)
02-04-2017 06:56 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU

imho, the saddest part is people who are too dumb to understand they can't afford a house. more of an indictment on our public education system than anything else.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2017 07:50 PM by Hood-rich.)
02-04-2017 07:49 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
Dodd-Frank increases the concentration of our banking system, greatly increases the difficulty of loaning and borrowing funds, and addresses none of the root causes of the 2008 crash. And it was drafted by two men who should be in prison for their roles in creating the crisis. Other than that, it's fine piece of legislation.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 06:11 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
02-04-2017 08:20 PM
Fo Shizzle Offline
Pragmatic Classical Liberal

I Root For: ECU PIRATES

Balance of Power Contest
Trump is on a roll and Im down with this. Im pretty much against anything that the corrupt POS Barney Frank had anything to do with.07-coffee3
02-04-2017 11:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.