Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

A Homestand like none other
Bookmark and Share
billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
A Homestand like none other
Let me first say that I am still in a warm and fuzzy place over how well this team has performed over the past 8 days. In 25 years of broadcasting games and another 5 years as the in-house announcer before that and years and years of being a student and then season ticket holder, I cannot remember a better four game run...ever.

That includes the Balanis, Parkhill and Woollum eras. The sheer dominance of this team, over the past week, is nothing short of remarkable. I truly hope the players realize just how good they can be when the play this unselfishly. The NCAA will have to deal with the Forgotten Five getting a WHOLE LOT smaller if this style of play continues. WHAT a turnaround!

Ponder the sheer craziness of these stats over the last 4 Games:

Average Points per Game: 95.0
Average Points allowed: 72.5
Average margin of victory: 22.5

Average Field Goal Pct per game: 60.0%
Average 3pt Shooting Pct per game: 48.9%
Average Foul Shooting per game: 69.7%

Actual Shooting pct over 4 games: 60.2% (142 of 236)
Actual 3 pt pct over 4 games: 50.5% (46 of 91)
Actual Free Throw pct over 4 games: 72.4% (50 of 69)

Number of Halfs shooting over 50%: 7 of 8
Number of Halfs shooting over 60%: 5 of 8
(If someone had taken and made 1 more shot in the First Half of the Delaware game, it would have been a clean sweep, 8 of 8, shooting 50%. -11 of 23-)

Rebounds per Game: 36.0 (144 boards total)
Opponents RB per game: 29.5 (118 boards)

Blocks per Game: 8.8 (35 blocks)

Average Assist to Made Baskets: 70.3% of all baskets with an assist
Actual Assists to Baskets Total: 70% of all baskets (99 of 142)

Average points by leading scorer: 27.3 ppg (Dixon - 28, 32, 21; Prewitt 28)
Average points by next scorer: 20.3 ppg (Whitman 16, Dixon 27, Prewitt 24, Malinowski 14)

These numbers simply boggle the mind. I only did a quick sweep through past records, but I can't find any other 4 game stretch (especially against D-1 opponents) that compares. (Actually, after you go back to a certain point it is hard to find 4 game winning streaks...period)

The closest 4 game string I could find belongs to the Jimmy Moran/Charlie Woollum 1997-1998 squad that averaged 80.5 ppg over four wins in January of 1998. The next closest was the Keith Cieplicki/Bruce Parkhill group that averaged 77.8 ppg in 1983 and the 1962-63 Tribe (with, I believe, a backup guard named Charlie Woollum, also scored 77.8 ppg over a four game stretch (part of a five game winning streak).

So, this current squad not only topped the record for average points over 4 games, they blew the thing to complete and utter smithereens!
I guess the Come to Jesus meeting last Monday was the key. As a long suffering Tribe fan, I want this to continue.

Go Tribe!!
02-03-2017 11:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
RE: A Homestand like none other
I get what you are saying, and it's hard to disagree re: the dominance thing, but I'll take the five game winning streak in 1977 that began with the UNC win, and the two in-season tourney championships thereafter (if memory serves).
02-03-2017 11:44 AM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(02-03-2017 11:44 AM)nj alum Wrote:  I get what you are saying, and it's hard to disagree re: the dominance thing, but I'll take the five game winning streak in 1977 that began with the UNC win, and the two in-season tourney championships thereafter (if memory serves).

Were they still using peach baskets then?
02-03-2017 11:55 AM
Advertisement

WMTribe90 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tribe
Those are amazing stats. They are particularly amazing in the context of how poorly the team was playing leading up to the home stand. I can't recall another occasion where a team seemingly flipped a switch like this. Let's take this show on the road!
02-03-2017 11:56 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2017 11:44 AM)nj alum Wrote:  I get what you are saying, and it's hard to disagree re: the dominance thing, but I'll take the five game winning streak in 1977 that began with the UNC win, and the two in-season tourney championships thereafter (if memory serves).

Hey, NJ. I agree that was a wonderful stretch (actually an 8 game win streak, didn't lose during the entire month of December), but they only averaged 75.5 ppg during that stretch and the average margin of victory was 12.5 ppg. The sheer margin of dominance put this streak ahead of that for me.

It was a good period, though. I still have my bumper sticker give-away from the UNC game.

03-wink
02-03-2017 12:04 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

(02-03-2017 11:55 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  

Were they still using peach baskets then?

No ... :-) ... but we were the Indians, there was an Indian smiley face at mid-court, the place was electric on most nights, and student attendance was significantly better.

The peach baskets reference might have occurred at Blow Gym ... now that was a pit ... but before my time.

While the championship history is scarce / non-existent, Tribe hoops history does have its moments, venues, coaches, and players, and more should be done to educate / celebrate same.
02-03-2017 12:14 PM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

That streak in 77-78 came to an end with our first home game in January - a loss to ECU. (I didn't look that up to verify, just relying on memory so who knows ...).

We had a big crowd at that game - a lot of curious locals who never came back. Lost us some potential fans.
02-03-2017 12:37 PM
Advertisement

nj alum Offline
Petulant

Yep, and I attended the next game at Rutgers, another loss.

Here it is:

http://www.tribeathletics.com/custompage...ry/yby.pdf

Lots of heartbreakers in January, 1978 and February, 1978.
02-03-2017 12:41 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

Yeah, after a great start, that team ended up 16-10.
02-03-2017 12:53 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

I was in the 2nd grade. Girlfriend at the time was Tracy Cullinan. She didn't break my heart but I ended up dating her for an evening after running into her at a bar in Georgetown some 13 years later.

I also won the 50 yard dash and broad jump during Annandale Terrace ES Field Day that year.

1978 was good times.

One Tribe. One Family.
02-03-2017 03:01 PM
Tribeheart Online
Heisman

(02-03-2017 03:01 PM)Tribal Wrote:  I was in the 2nd grade. Girlfriend at the time was Tracy Cullinan. She didn't break my heart but I ended up dating her for an evening after running into her at a bar in Georgetown some 13 years later.

I also won the 50 yard dash and broad jump during Annandale Terrace ES Field Day that year.

1978 was good times.

One Tribe. One Family.
Braggert.......

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-03-2017 03:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.