Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Randall/Clergeot
Bookmark and Share
HoopDreams Offline
Better Than Diamond Rings

I Root For: EXPECTATIONS
Randall/Clergeot
Some really nice bench production/minutes since the new year began. Hard to remember sometimes that one is only a sophomore and one is a freshman. Randall's shot looks pretty dialed in when he toes the line - my only issue with his deeper shots is that he tends to fade/fall backwards...think that's why he misses a lot of them.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...randall-ii

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketb...n-clergeot
02-03-2017 11:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tiger1016 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Randall/Clergeot
Camp Tubby? I kid I kid

Good to see these two fellas being more productive. We'll need them over the next month and a half.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 11:33 AM by tiger1016.)
02-03-2017 11:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
UpperTiger Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
When Chad returns, we may have a solid 8 man rotation, with the ability to go big or small. Didn't really expect to say that this season. Would still be nice if one of those 8 was an effective backup PG.
02-03-2017 12:43 PM
WColt45 Offline
Tigris Fanaticus

I Root For: West TN Normal
Randall still stops the ball movement on offensive sets when he's in. However, he looked much less tentative last night. I think he'll eventually be a good player, he just needs confidence. This is the first year he's been asked to play any type of significant role. Really rooting for the guy to end up being a solid player.
02-03-2017 01:13 PM
HoopDreams Offline

He's played 20+ mpg the last two games - that's pretty big on its own.
02-03-2017 01:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WColt45 Offline
Tigris Fanaticus

(02-03-2017 01:15 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  He's played 20+ mpg the last two games - that's pretty big on its own.

Part of that is because Rivers can't stay out of foul trouble though.
02-03-2017 01:22 PM
Advertisement

HoopDreams Offline

(02-03-2017 01:22 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 01:15 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  He's played 20+ mpg the last two games - that's pretty big on its own.

Well, it's not always going to be perfect.

I'm just glad that Randall and Clergeot are helping form a rotation at this point.
02-03-2017 01:30 PM
WColt45 Offline
Tigris Fanaticus

(02-03-2017 01:30 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  

I'm just glad that Randall and Clergeot are helping form a rotation at this point.

Agreed. It really is a testament to the hard work of this team and coaching staff that we have come this far. I was expecting a losing record this year, or .500 at the very best. On a side note, according to teamrankings.com, we have a 16% chance of making the NCAA tournament and our most likely record will end up being 20-10.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basket...y-previous
02-03-2017 01:45 PM
Tiger87 Online
Hall of Famer

Agree about Randall and Clergeot. Last night they really looked comfortable out there. Kessee has been a disappointment, but these 2 are working out well. Solid rotation guys for a few years now.
02-03-2017 02:25 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-03-2017 11:22 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Some really nice bench production/minutes since the new year began. Hard to remember sometimes that one is only a sophomore and one is a freshman. Randall's shot looks pretty dialed in when he toes the line - my only issue with his deeper shots is that he tends to fade/fall backwards...think that's why he misses a lot of them.

Maybe if Randall would square up before he shoots he would do better.
02-03-2017 02:27 PM
HoopDreams Offline

(02-03-2017 02:27 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 11:22 AM)HoopDreams Wrote:  Some really nice bench production/minutes since the new year began. Hard to remember sometimes that one is only a sophomore and one is a freshman. Randall's shot looks pretty dialed in when he toes the line - my only issue with his deeper shots is that he tends to fade/fall backwards...think that's why he misses a lot of them.

I would assume that would be a coaching/player development concern.
02-03-2017 02:35 PM
Advertisement

macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-03-2017 02:35 PM)HoopDreams Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 02:27 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

I would assume that would be a coaching/player development concern.

Yep...Hopefully they work on that next year...You cant really change that in season.
02-03-2017 10:39 PM
passat25 Offline
Heisman

(02-03-2017 01:45 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  

Agreed. It really is a testament to the hard work of this team and coaching staff that we have come this far. I was expecting a losing record this year, or .500 at the very best. On a side note, according to teamrankings.com, we have a 16% chance of making the NCAA tournament and our most likely record will end up being 20-10.

That loss against Tulsa really hurt our chances... It would be awesome if Tigers managed to scrap a spot in the NCAA Tourney.
02-04-2017 12:50 AM
Cletus Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-04-2017 12:50 AM)passat25 Wrote:  

That loss against Tulsa really hurt our chances... It would be awesome if Tigers managed to scrap a spot in the NCAA Tourney.

We could win 24 games and still not dance unless we beat Cincinnati & SMU.

Sad.

02-04-2017 01:09 AM
MTigerBlue Offline
Heisman

(02-04-2017 01:09 AM)Cletus Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 12:50 AM)passat25 Wrote:  
(02-03-2017 01:22 PM)WColt45 Wrote:  Part of that is because Rivers can't stay out of foul trouble though.

We could win 24 games and still not dance unless we beat Cincinnati & SMU.

Sad.

Yeah, we started out behind the 8 ball this year. It would've taken a lot more luck than one can expect for things to have gone well enough for us to earn an at large with what we had to work with. I'm just glad to be on the uphill swing again.
02-04-2017 08:22 AM
Tiger87 Online
Hall of Famer

That loss at Tulsa is hurting less every week as they win games. They're now just outside the top 100 RPI. A few more wins for them and they're top 100. Then it's a loss on the road in the 51-100 range. Pretty common. What's killing us is the SOS. Those first 4 games of the year put us in a hole that we just won't get out of. Just not many good chances to get big wins to catch the attention of the committee. We have South Carolina. SMU at home was the next big chance. Now the 2 big games left are on the road. Makes it doubly tough. Great for the resume if you win. But tough.
02-04-2017 11:28 AM
Advertisement

Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-04-2017 11:28 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  That loss at Tulsa is hurting less every week as they win games. They're now just outside the top 100 RPI. A few more wins for them and they're top 100. Then it's a loss on the road in the 51-100 range. Pretty common. What's killing us is the SOS. Those first 4 games of the year put us in a hole that we just won't get out of. Just not many good chances to get big wins to catch the attention of the committee. We have South Carolina. SMU at home was the next big chance. Now the 2 big games left are on the road. Makes it doubly tough. Great for the resume if you win. But tough.

I've been saying SOS has been a problem for 5 yrs+. Folks talk about the need for buy games but the economics don't support it. Last big OOC home game I remember was Gonzaga & it sold out (OK maybe OU too). When was it, 2013 maybe? Aside from that game it's been cupcake after cupcake for the last 7-8 yrs that don't draw & which kill our SOS. Maybe when seats were virtually sold out thru season tickets, there was some logic but certainly not when seats can't be given away & the SOS keeps us out of the tourney, even winning 20+ games. IMO, we need 10 big games/yr. Let's say 6 of those are conference (Cincy, UConn & SMU most yrs), so 4 need to be scheduled OOC. And we are nowhere close, so we need miracles like a win at SMU or Cincy. And even one of those might not be enough.
02-06-2017 08:54 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-06-2017 08:54 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(02-04-2017 11:28 AM)Tiger87 Wrote:  That loss at Tulsa is hurting less every week as they win games. They're now just outside the top 100 RPI. A few more wins for them and they're top 100. Then it's a loss on the road in the 51-100 range. Pretty common. What's killing us is the SOS. Those first 4 games of the year put us in a hole that we just won't get out of. Just not many good chances to get big wins to catch the attention of the committee. We have South Carolina. SMU at home was the next big chance. Now the 2 big games left are on the road. Makes it doubly tough. Great for the resume if you win. But tough.

I've been saying SOS has been a problem for 5 yrs+. Folks talk about the need for buy games but the economics don't support it. Last big OOC home game I remember was Gonzaga & it sold out (OK maybe OU too). When was it, 2013 maybe? Aside from that game it's been cupcake after cupcake for the last 7-8 yrs that don't draw & which kill our SOS. Maybe when seats were virtually sold out thru season tickets, there was some logic but certainly not when seats can't be given away & the SOS keeps us out of the tourney, even winning 20+ games. IMO, we need 10 big games/yr. Let's say 6 of those are conference (Cincy, UConn & SMU most yrs), so 4 need to be scheduled OOC. And we are nowhere close, so we need miracles like a win at SMU or Cincy. And even one of those might not be enough.

Don't Lose to Monmouth, Ole Miss and Providence OOC conference and it doesn't matter as we would pretty much be solidly in right now.

I agree with you but if we had 10 big games this year that would raise our SOS but it would also lower our number of wins.

Catch 22 when your team isn't very good.
02-07-2017 02:54 PM
Atlanta Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-07-2017 02:54 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

Don't Lose to Monmouth, Ole Miss and Providence OOC conference and it doesn't matter as we would pretty much be solidly in right now.

I agree with you but if we had 10 big games this year that would raise our SOS but it would also lower our number of wins.

I'd hate to assume losses, but there is certainly evidence of a number of schools in past years receiving NCAA bids with fewer wins due to SOS over other schools with more wins that had weaker SOS. Also, there is a logic that says a team can grow & potentially reach a higher potential of play having played a diet of tough competition. And it would serve our university to have a higher attending crowd which a better schedule would encourage.

A couple of other examples of this logic are the difficulty JP had in getting wins against top 25 schools her but the primary reason was that he played virtually none, maybe 1-2 per season....until Memphis began competing in the AAC where we had more opportunity for quality wins & we did win a couple of those due to great opportunity. The next example is JP's school now, GT. GT plays in a tough ACC & has many more opportunities to beat top programs/get good wins & as such GT has achieved some good wins while GT has also lost some against weak programs. I attribute the wins to having more opportunity & yet Memphis has continued to make the same scheduling mistakes year after year by scheduling the multiple cupcakes to get wins. And the tougher opponents & the tourney committee see though it year after year.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 07:28 PM by Atlanta.)
02-07-2017 07:20 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(02-07-2017 07:20 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  
(02-07-2017 02:54 PM)macgar32 Wrote:  

I'd hate to assume losses, but there is certainly evidence of a number of schools in past years receiving NCAA bids with fewer wins due to SOS over other schools with more wins that had weaker SOS. Also, there is a logic that says a team can grow & potentially reach a higher potential of play having played a diet of tough competition. And it would serve our university to have a higher attending crowd which a better schedule would encourage.

A couple of other examples of this logic are the difficulty JP had in getting wins against top 25 schools her but the primary reason was that he played virtually none, maybe 1-2 per season....until Memphis began competing in the AAC where we had more opportunity for quality wins & we did win a couple of those due to great opportunity. The next example is JP's school now, GT. GT plays in a tough ACC & has many more opportunities to beat top programs/get good wins & as such GT has achieved some good wins while GT has also lost some against weak programs. I attribute the wins to having more opportunity & yet Memphis has continued to make the same scheduling mistakes year after year by scheduling the multiple cupcakes to get wins. And the tougher opponents & the tourney committee see though it year after year.

The big boys don't want to play us home and home...Gonzaga couldn't wait to drop us after Cal left. The Middling teams in the power 5 schedule down to get wins and the big boys are going to play Elite teams or cupcakes. Tough to get games with that in place.

We can upgrade our schedule but it likely wont be against NAME teams until our name is worth more again.
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2017 07:48 PM by macgar32.)
02-07-2017 07:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.