Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I got to support NIU in Oregon
Bookmark and Share
Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NIU
I got to support NIU in Oregon
It's not often when an NIU team comes to the Pacific NW, but I tossed on my Red and Black NIU attire and drove 90 minutes to Oregon State to watch..... Women's Gymnastics. Mind you that OR St. is a top 10 team, I watched the Huskies compete. Normally, I may not have even mentioned it here. But, I was surprised by the number of NIU fans (Mainly parents and relatives of the team) in the stands. I pretty much decided that this was the biggest NIU group (I cannot call it a crowd) that I remember at an event in my neck of the woods. I am guessing there were between 15-20 NIU fans there. I have been to 2 baseball games as well as a soccer game and this was by far the best support I remember. The small patch of red and black stood out against the black and orange of the Beavers. LOL

Regardless, I am in no way an expert or even understand the scoring in the event. But, I was glad to support the ladies as they competed. Out of 3 teams, the Huskies came in second and looked like the change in time zones and travel was a little hard on them, they gave it their all. Even more shocking was the 9 dollars I had to pay to watch this event. LOL

I was glad I went, and I talked to one of the families there and found out one of the ladies was from my high school as well. I didn't get a chance to say hello to the team, but I had a nice relaxing time watching a match where everyone got cheered for solid performance. It was almost too polite. LOL

Go Huskies no matter the sport!
02-03-2017 11:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

RE: I got to support NIU in Oregon
(02-03-2017 11:13 AM)Splooie99 Wrote:  It's not often when an NIU team comes to the Pacific NW, but I tossed on my Red and Black NIU attire and drove 90 minutes to Oregon State to watch..... Women's Gymnastics. Mind you that OR St. is a top 10 team, I watched the Huskies compete. Normally, I may not have even mentioned it here. But, I was surprised by the number of NIU fans (Mainly parents and relatives of the team) in the stands. I pretty much decided that this was the biggest NIU group (I cannot call it a crowd) that I remember at an event in my neck of the woods. I am guessing there were between 15-20 NIU fans there. I have been to 2 baseball games as well as a soccer game and this was by far the best support I remember. The small patch of red and black stood out against the black and orange of the Beavers. LOL

Regardless, I am in no way an expert or even understand the scoring in the event. But, I was glad to support the ladies as they competed. Out of 3 teams, the Huskies came in second and looked like the change in time zones and travel was a little hard on them, they gave it their all. Even more shocking was the 9 dollars I had to pay to watch this event. LOL

I was glad I went, and I talked to one of the families there and found out one of the ladies was from my high school as well. I didn't get a chance to say hello to the team, but I had a nice relaxing time watching a match where everyone got cheered for solid performance. It was almost too polite. LOL

Go Huskies no matter the sport!

That is great to hear! It's really cool that you go to do that. Our Gymnastics team by all accounts should be one of the better teams we've ever had at NIU too.
02-03-2017 11:33 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

Good on you for doing this! It can be a very lonely NIU fan experience outside of Chicagoland.
02-03-2017 12:28 PM
MiamiHuskie Offline
All American

I and my kids fly the Huskie flag all the time; t-shirts, bumper stickers, etc.

Got positive responses after the Orange Bowl game, and after the Alabama game.
02-03-2017 01:07 PM
Advertisement

NIUAlum90 Offline
All American

(02-03-2017 12:28 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Good on you for doing this! It can be a very lonely NIU fan experience outside of Chicagoland.

When are we getting the Goophers in Huskie Stadium now that PJ is there?
02-03-2017 04:48 PM
Splooie99 Offline
2nd String

(02-03-2017 12:28 PM)Lord Stanley Wrote:  Good on you for doing this! It can be a very lonely NIU fan experience outside of Chicagoland.

Yes it can be. But, I try to see the Huskies when they travel out to Oregon or Washington. I did manage to go to one of the Idaho games as well.

Anyway, I am always checking out the schedules for all Huskies teams. Hopefully, one or 2 of the track team will make it to the NCAA finals as they are usually help at the U of O in Eugene, about 2 hours from Portland.

I will try to make it to either the Utah or BYU games. Its still far, but it would be nice to travel that way in a car for a road trip.
02-08-2017 10:01 AM
Lord Stanley Offline
L'Étoile du Nord

(02-03-2017 04:48 PM)NIUAlum90 Wrote:  

When are we getting the Goophers in Huskie Stadium now that PJ is there?

NIU has a good rep up here.

There's Kill, Claeys, Fleck..... Kill is still on the radio now and then and he always, every time, mentions his time at NIU. Claeys not as much, but he wasn't really a good interview. Fleck is all Goofer all the time and while he is wearing the local old-timers and curmdugeons pretty thin, he's loved (so far) by everyone else.

And since I would have to imagine Fleck still closely follows NIU athletics and he'll have huge impact on future schedules, I'd say NIU is definitely on a short list for any open dates.
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 10:36 AM by Lord Stanley.)
02-08-2017 10:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.