Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS: Big 12 continues to struggle, start with recruiting Texas
Maize Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: da Ville/ACC
CBS: Big 12 continues to struggle, start with recruiting Texas
From the article:

There's a good reason the Big 12 is the only Power Five conference that hasn't won a College Football Playoff game in its three-year existence. Deep in the heart of Texas, the Big 12 lost the talent battle again this year in a state the conference desperately needs to secure.

The top-10 recruits from Texas, based on 247Sports Composite rankings, fled to almost everywhere but the Big 12.

Defensive tackle Marvin Wilson: Florida State
Cornerback Jeffrey Okudah: Ohio State
Offensive tackle Walker Little: Stanford
Outside linebacker Baron Browning: Ohio State
Defensive end K'Lavon Chaisson: LSU
All-purpose back J.K. Dobbins: Ohio State
Offensive tackle Austin Deculus: LSU

Those were the seven highest-rated recruits in Texas. Not one stayed in-state. The top Texas player by 247Sports Composite to join the Big 12 was offensive guard Jack Anderson, who went to Texas Tech.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...-of-texas/
02-02-2017 10:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

GoldenWarrior11 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: CBS: Big 12 continues to struggle, start with recruiting Texas
Beat me to posting, Maize.

In 2010, the Big 12 signed 41 of the top 50 recruits in Texas. The SEC got three. In 2016, the Big 12 signed only 22 top-50 Texas recruits, compared to 20 for the SEC (14 went to SEC schools other than Texas A&M). This year, the Texas top-50 scoreboard reads: 19 for the Big 12, 15 for the SEC.

The clock is ticking for the Big 12.
02-02-2017 10:30 AM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #CinCityPride
Hypothetically speaking, if the Big 12 broke up, would the current members improve their Texas recruiting in a new conference home. I assume Texas could possibly, especially if Herman is as successful on the field as he was at UH and Oklahoma obviously is always a player. Would Oklahoma State, for example, improve their Texas recruiting if they were in the SEC? What about Kansas or Iowa State in the B10.

One could argue those schools would fare worse in their new potential conference homes, far removed from a Texas-centric league.
02-02-2017 10:49 AM
MWC Tex Offline
All American

I Root For: MW
(02-02-2017 10:49 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Hypothetically speaking, if the Big 12 broke up, would the current members improve their Texas recruiting in a new conference home. I assume Texas could possibly, especially if Herman is as successful on the field as he was at UH and Oklahoma obviously is always a player. Would Oklahoma State, for example, improve their Texas recruiting if they were in the SEC? What about Kansas or Iowa State in the B10.

One could argue those schools would fare worse in their new potential conference homes, far removed from a Texas-centric league.

Can't be certain if Texas A&M in the SEC is causing some of the recruiting issues or if it's the conference itself with their wishy-washy thinking regarding expansion and CCG's that give the Big 12 less of a chance for a CFP spot than any other P5 conference.
02-02-2017 10:57 AM

CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: #CinCityPride
(02-02-2017 10:57 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 10:49 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  Hypothetically speaking, if the Big 12 broke up, would the current members improve their Texas recruiting in a new conference home. I assume Texas could possibly, especially if Herman is as successful on the field as he was at UH and Oklahoma obviously is always a player. Would Oklahoma State, for example, improve their Texas recruiting if they were in the SEC? What about Kansas or Iowa State in the B10.

Can't be certain if Texas A&M in the SEC is causing some of the recruiting issues or if it's the conference itself with their wishy-washy thinking regarding expansion and CCG's that give the Big 12 less of a chance for a CFP spot than any other P5 conference.

Likely both. The conference did themselves no favors with the way they handled expansion. It made them look weak. You never demonstrate weakness publically. Sure I sound biased when I say this, but the Big 12 would have been better off expanding with any two teams and talking them up as if they were the greatest thing of sliced bread. Perception is reality.
02-02-2017 11:05 AM
JRsec Offline

I Root For: SEC

That's a really good question. Texas and Oklahoma could easily improve their recruiting with a new logo on the jersey. Whether it was SEC or Big 10 really wouldn't matter. The top brands are suffering only from not being in a top brand conference.

But, the others? I think West Virginia would do better if they were in a conference with Florida ties, so they could improve their situation with a move, if another conference was interested. But just look at Missouri and Nebraska to answer the gist of your question. Both have suffered in recruiting since joining other conferences.

So, what's the answer here? If you are closely associated with a state that has oodles of recruits (Texas and OU are both tied to Texas recruiting directly) then matching the conference branding of your recruiting rivals (this year L.S.U., A&M, and Ohio State) would probably help you keep those kids at home. However if you are extant to the recruiting grounds merely changing conferences probably would not help you at all and may even hurt. Missouri this year finished only ahead of Vanderbilt in recruiting inside the SEC. Nebraska (once a top 5 recruiter) finished barely inside the top 20 nationally.
02-02-2017 11:28 AM
adcorbett Offline
This F'n Guy

I Root For: Louisville
But do expansion issues really affect how potential recruits view Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Baylor, and TCU? Or Oklahoma St? I wonder if the spread offense and no defense strategies in the leagues are more to blame? I can see conference instability maybe affecting the lower tier teams in the conference, but not the top teams or the ones based in Texas.
02-02-2017 11:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

p23570 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: OU Sooners
IT's interesting looking at each Big 12 team individually.

I would have liked to have had a couple of 5* guys at OU but overall I'm happy with the class.

Oklahoma State sis about average for them with a pretty good average * rating that actually puts them where they usually are.

ISU,KU, and KSU all did about as expected. ISU overachieved a bit.

The real issue here is the Texas schools in the Big 12 performing poorly. But that being said Charlie had some good classes at UT so there is talent in Austin but certainly a drop off for TCU, Baylor, and TT although the recovery at Baylor was pretty impressive. I think we will see Herman make progress at UT this season and likely be beck to recruiting top 10 classes in Austin.

There is not a huge difference in any of the various conferences defenses IMO. We've seen C-USA and Sun Belt teams rip mighty SEC defenses and during Bowl season the Big 12 had the best defenses in the country. I think the perception is that because the Big 12 runs a certain type of high scoring offenses that it means the defense is bad which isn't the case. Just a function of the number of plays and number of possessions these offenses create which in turn is harder on defenses. If it was you would see a huge spike in OOC play and that's not the case.
02-02-2017 11:58 AM
p23570 Online
Special Teams

I Root For: OU Sooners
(02-02-2017 11:28 AM)JRsec Wrote:  

That's a really good question. Texas and Oklahoma could easily improve their recruiting with a new logo on the jersey. Whether it was SEC or Big 10 really wouldn't matter. The top brands are suffering only from not being in a top brand conference.

But, the others? I think West Virginia would do better if they were in a conference with Florida ties, so they could improve their situation with a move, if another conference was interested. But just look at Missouri and Nebraska to answer the gist of your question. Both have suffered in recruiting since joining other conferences.

So, what's the answer here? If you are closely associated with a state that has oodles of recruits (Texas and OU are both tied to Texas recruiting directly) then matching the conference branding of your recruiting rivals (this year L.S.U., A&M, and Ohio State) would probably help you keep those kids at home. However if you are extant to the recruiting grounds merely changing conferences probably would not help you at all and may even hurt. Missouri this year finished only ahead of Vanderbilt in recruiting inside the SEC. Nebraska (once a top 5 recruiter) finished barely inside the top 20 nationally.

I'm not sure I agree with that. OU has it's opportunites to get players but we simply dont' have the kind of alumni who attempt to influence recruiting or administration who tolerates that kind of stuff which I think is going to be an issue no matter what conference we are in. It's fun for people to run around and claim the Big 12 sky is falling but making a case that the Big 12 is holding OU back is quite difficult considering how things have gone the last few years.

Texas can't really blame the Big 12 either. They have had top recruiting classes even when they are terrible so even talent really isn't the issue for them. The Big 12 certainly isn't' holding them back financially so I'm not really sure how that case can be made either.

You brought up Nebraska who is another perfect example of a school who left yet recruiting really hasn't improved not has on field performance. I think OU has more to lose by leaving it's alumni base in Dallan than is has to gain by writing PAC, B1G, or SEC on the jersey. In fact I doubt we woud have had a playoff appearance and all the NY6 bowls if we were in another p-5 conference so I think you could make the case that being in another conference might actually hurt our recruiting, not help. I think FSU and Clemson are in similar positions as they do better in the ACC winning the conference every season as opposed to being in the SEC and likely not winning CC's nearly as often.

Conference perception is cyclical, we've seen the ACC and B1G go through this and now the PAC and Big 12 are going through the same although I will say the B1G and SEC looked pretty average during bowl season.
02-02-2017 12:11 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
1st String

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
02-02-2017 12:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.