Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

VCU for Basketball only?
Ewglenn Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MTSU
VCU for Basketball only?
I was wondering if y'all would be interested in VCU for the same thing y'all were talking about with Wichita St. It would expose the AAC to Virginia and a bigger metro.
02-02-2017 08:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

40smokingcannon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: barbECUe
RE: VCU for Basketball only?
From an ECU fan perspective I would love for VCU Olympics to be in. Need more baseball.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
02-02-2017 08:08 AM
MemTGRS Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!
(02-02-2017 08:02 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  I was wondering if y'all would be interested in VCU for the same thing y'all were talking about with Wichita St. It would expose the AAC to Virginia and a bigger metro.

Hi... we've discussed VCU a lot on here. I'd like to think I am in the majority would like to have them.

But I think they are non-starter --- I don't know that we (AAC) are yet a stronger hoops league than the A-10. Thus I doubt VCU would consider deprating a much more geographic friendly b'ball based conference for us.

As opposed to Wichita State -- no knock on the Missouri Valley, but we can offer more hoops strength. Plus, in spelling Navy's spot in the West Division, they are a perfect geographical fit to have two six-team divisions for non-revenue sports. Plus a strong ninth baseball program.
02-02-2017 10:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BcatMatt13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats
It's great in theory.
02-02-2017 12:29 PM
RaplhTheGreetest! Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SMU
Yes, please
02-02-2017 01:29 PM
ivet Offline
1st String

I Root For: ThePaul, Hoya
Big East for Basketball only?
02-02-2017 01:46 PM
Advertisement

Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
Yes, VCU, Dayton and Wichita State as non-football members. Army and Air Force for football only.
02-02-2017 01:49 PM
Michael in Raleigh Offline
All American

I Root For: App State
(02-02-2017 10:26 AM)MemTGRS Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 08:02 AM)Ewglenn Wrote:  I was wondering if y'all would be interested in VCU for the same thing y'all were talking about with Wichita St. It would expose the AAC to Virginia and a bigger metro.

Hi... we've discussed VCU a lot on here. I'd like to think I am in the majority would like to have them.

But I think they are non-starter --- I don't know that we (AAC) are yet a stronger hoops league than the A-10. Thus I doubt VCU would consider deprating a much more geographic friendly b'ball based conference for us.

As opposed to Wichita State -- no knock on the Missouri Valley, but we can offer more hoops strength. Plus, in spelling Navy's spot in the West Division, they are a perfect geographical fit to have two six-team divisions for non-revenue sports. Plus a strong ninth baseball program.

That's true THIS year... barely. The A-10 Is not exactly having a banner year themselves, either.

I think the ceiling for AAC programs is higher. UConn has won four of the past 18 national titles--tops in the nation. Memphis has been to multiple Final Fours and is about as popular locally as the city's own NBA franchise. Cincinnati is having another great year and is one of the dozen or so most reliable NCAA bids year-in-year-out. SKY is leveraging its location in Dallas to draw in impressive recruits. Temple is an NCAA team more often than not. UCF and Houston are improving under experienced coaches.

The A-10, meanwhile has more of an uphill battle. Fewer schools are "destination jobs," the way Memphis, UConn, or Cincy are. There is less exposure.

All that said, it still might be hard to pry VCU away. AAC may have better exposure, but it's questionable how much more the AAC would pay a non football school than the $400K/year the A-10 TV contract gives its members. Then there are A-10 exit fees and AAC entry fees to make such a move less enticing. It's not that the A-10, over the stretch of several years, is a better basketball league. It's that the AAC might not be able to offer enough to make a move worthwhile. Besides, the AAC has enough good programs. It just needs it's teams to have better luck (i.e., fewer injuries) and do better out of conference. Even without a VCU, or a Wichita State, the AAC may not be a top 2-3 league, but it should be competitive with the Pac-12, SEC, and some years the Big East.

Just my $0.02, from a guy whose basketball team hasn't made the NCAA' s since 2000.
02-02-2017 01:51 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(02-02-2017 01:49 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  Yes, VCU, Dayton and Wichita State as non-football members. Army and Air Force for football only.

Works for me or we could take St Louis instead of Dayton. No issues grabbing 3 basketball schools.
02-02-2017 02:11 PM
CincyBro Offline
All American

I Root For: " NO GOR "
No
02-02-2017 02:13 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(02-02-2017 02:13 PM)CincyBro Wrote:  No

No to any or no to a specific team?
02-02-2017 02:30 PM
Advertisement

mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
If the AAC were to add a basketball only school then I'd prefer Dayton, but that is because I'm biased. I still don't think VCU is a great add without Shaka Smart. Dayton's basketball history is much deeper than them.
02-02-2017 02:36 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
I am in favor of adding any team(s) that increases the per team payout to the conference.
02-02-2017 02:48 PM
mlb Offline
O' Great One

I Root For: Cincinnati
Donators
(02-02-2017 02:48 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  I am in favor of adding any team(s) that increases the per team payout to the conference.

Doubtful there is one outside of getting a school that will win games in the NCAA tourney and bring units. Wichita St., VCU, and Dayton all have good runs in recent years.
02-02-2017 03:45 PM
Mestophalies Offline
1st String

I Root For: USF
The American should only take; Army, Air Force, BYU and San Diego State. They should then move to pods.

Four Divisions of four teams each, (This is actually within the new NCAA laws in that, a conference must be divided into equal divisions and play a round-robin schedule within those divisions in order to have a championship game). As discussed in other threads, you'd play a nine game conference schedule. Playing the three members of your division and then two members of the other three divisions yearly.

North: Army, Navy, Temple and UConn.

East: USF, UCF, UC and ECU.

South: Houston, Memphis, SMU and Tulane.

West; SDSU, BYU, Air Force and Tulsa.

This would be a true P6 conference IMHO. 04-rock
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 03:55 PM by Mestophalies.)
02-02-2017 03:52 PM
UCFKnightDiver Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UCF Knights!
No. Big East X 2
02-02-2017 04:42 PM
Advertisement

Phil Lacio Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ghetto State U.
(02-02-2017 02:11 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  
(02-02-2017 01:49 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  Yes, VCU, Dayton and Wichita State as non-football members. Army and Air Force for football only.

Works for me or we could take St Louis instead of Dayton. No issues grabbing 3 basketball schools.

F it...pad the inventory in anticipation of the new contract by adding vcu, Dayton, wsu, Gonzaga, St.Mary's for bball and the academies for football.
02-02-2017 06:36 PM
Phil Lacio Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ghetto State U.
(02-02-2017 03:52 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  The American should only take; Army, Air Force, BYU and San Diego State. They should then move to pods.

Four Divisions of four teams each, (This is actually within the new NCAA laws in that, a conference must be divided into equal divisions and play a round-robin schedule within those divisions in order to have a championship game). As discussed in other threads, you'd play a nine game conference schedule. Playing the three members of your division and then two members of the other three divisions yearly.

This would make sense and I would make BYU and SDSU all sports to help out bball. BYU prolly won't bite, though, so add BSU for football instead and SDSU all sports to balance out bball (and maybe add WSU and VCU for bball also).
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 06:59 PM by Phil Lacio.)
02-02-2017 06:59 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(02-02-2017 03:52 PM)Mestophalies Wrote:  The American should only take; Army, Air Force, BYU and San Diego State. They should then move to pods.

I'd be fine with this
Army and Navy can fb only so add VCU/Wichita St on hoops to balance them out.

16 football
16 hoops

Hoops
East
VCU
UC
UCONN
Temple
ECU
USF
UCF
Memphis

West
Wichita St
SMU
Tulane
Tulsa
Houston
SDSU
BYU
AF
02-02-2017 08:42 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(02-02-2017 02:13 PM)CincyBro Wrote:  No

lol why? What have we got to lose?
02-02-2017 08:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.