Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Betsy DeVos
Fort Bend Owl Offline
Legend

I Root For: An easy win
The Parliament Awards
Betsy DeVos
Putting her confirmation in a separate thread since it could be pretty unprecedented stuff. I'm not sure if the vote will happen today or not. Apparently the vote currently stands at 50/50 (unless a Democrat or two votes to confirm her). If it's 50/50, VP Pence gets the tie-breaker so she'll barely squeak by (and that's never happened before in American politics).

However, there is a separate issue that since Senator Sessions will be confirmed as Attorney General, if his vote is before DeVos, he can't vote on her confirmation and the vote becomes 50-49. Surely, the Trump Administration is smart enough to realize that, but who knows.

I'm still going on my prediction that she will be the only Cabinet appointee to be defeated (or she will withdraw her nomination prior to a vote which is a possibility if one additional Republican Senator says no and there are some others considering a no vote). I'm telling you, she was far and away the worst candidate Trump nominated in his administration.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 07:54 AM by Fort Bend Owl.)
02-02-2017 07:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CardFan1 Offline
Red Thunderbird

I Root For: Louisville ACC
RE: Betsy DeVos
(02-02-2017 07:40 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  Putting her confirmation in a separate thread since it could be pretty unprecedented stuff. I'm not sure if the vote will happen today or not. Apparently the vote currently stands at 50/50 (unless a Democrat or two votes to confirm her). If it's 50/50, VP Pence gets the tie-breaker so she'll barely squeak by (and that's never happened before in American politics).

However, there is a separate issue that since Senator Sessions will be confirmed as Attorney General, if his vote is before DeVos, he can't vote on her confirmation and the vote becomes 50-49. Surely, the Trump Administration is smart enough to realize that, but who knows.

I'm still going on my prediction that she will be the only Cabinet appointed to be defeated (or she will withdraw her nomination prior to a vote which is a possibility if one additional Republican Senator says no and there are some others considering a no vote). I'm telling you, she was far and away the worst candidate Trump has nominated in his administration.

I just wished She was more familiar with real public school systems. That should have been a requirement at the very least. I'm sure there are great middle of the road politically candidates out there that the country can believe will be successful to appoint.
02-02-2017 07:51 AM
ark30inf Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Arkansas State
All she really had to know about real public school systems was that they should not be run from Washington, DC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
02-02-2017 08:43 AM
Paul M Offline
American-American

I Root For: OU
Don't need to no much more than how to dismantle and lay to waste.
02-02-2017 08:48 AM
shiftyeagle Offline
Deus Vult

I Root For: Southern Miss
She couldn't be any worse than Obama's Education department.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/01/...ement.html
02-02-2017 09:02 AM
Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
And this ^^^^^^^^^^ is why you are the perfect representative of a Trump voter. Should be their mantra. "I'm as ignorant as heck and don't have a clue of what I am talking about but it couldn't be much worse! Could it?

That's not a way to govern.
02-02-2017 09:11 AM
Advertisement

Machiavelli Offline
Back to Reality. Oh there goes Gravity

I Root For: BGSU
There are very strong public schools systems? Why don't we emulate them?
02-02-2017 09:12 AM
UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(02-02-2017 09:12 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  There are very strong public schools systems? Why don't we emulate them?

Good question. Why, in the past 8 years, did Obama not try to emulate them?

The department has been a cluster for so long that I'm perfectly fine with an outsider stepping in there and attempting to straighten it out.
02-02-2017 09:24 AM
Murray007 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Old Dominion
Definitely the worst Cabinet pick. Her hearing was horrendous by showing her lack of knowledge about the average public school along with lack of education knowledge in general (growth vs. proficiency). She probably wouldn't be a worse Sec. of Education than the recent ones, but you can't expect to be confirmed when you have that bad of a showing on Capitol Hill.
02-02-2017 09:51 AM
LeFlâneur Offline
Banned

I Root For: USC
(02-02-2017 09:12 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  There are very strong public schools systems? Why don't we emulate them?

Randi Weingarten.
02-02-2017 09:58 AM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
Quote:The department has been a cluster for so long that I'm perfectly fine with an outsider stepping in there and attempting to straighten it out

Umass.. while I agree with you on this statement, I have my doubts as to whether or not DeVos is the right 'outsider' to take this position.
02-02-2017 10:20 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(02-02-2017 10:20 AM)DaSaintFan Wrote:  
Quote:The department has been a cluster for so long that I'm perfectly fine with an outsider stepping in there and attempting to straighten it out

Umass.. while I agree with you on this statement, I have my doubts as to whether or not DeVos is the right 'outsider' to take this position.

I dont know anything about her, because I wasnt able to follow any of her confirmation hearings. If there is legitimate concerns about her, then they need to come out.

But not being a token of the public school system is not a legitimate concern.

I do know that this was the one position that was most likely NOT to be confirmed, but since the democrats have acted like petulant kids during this process, I believe that some of the republicans who may have leaned to vote against her will now vote for her. She may get in on a 50-50 vote, and democrats would have lost their only chance at defeating one of Trumps cabinet picks.
02-02-2017 10:29 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I saw Trump supporters on Facebook and other places are saying she is not the right candidate. Her plagiarizing for her answers also would kill her. Many Trump supporters are sending in mail and calls to their state senator against her. I believe there will be more senators that will vote against her.
02-02-2017 10:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl

What about them should we be emulating? What makes them strong?
02-02-2017 10:40 AM
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Why am I supposed to be opposed to DeVos? Because Al Franken showed she isn't familiar with educrat jargon? That doesn't even reach a 1.0 on my give-a-****-o-meter.

Everything the federal government does on education is pointless ****.

US education is bad because we have minority groups that have fallen behind. The end. All of this NCLB and Common Core crap is not going to help.

I don't care if someone who isn't educated in multicultural pedagogy theory is the head of a useless department that's doing more harm than good to education.
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 10:54 AM by EigenEagle.)
02-02-2017 10:53 AM
Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-02-2017 10:40 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

What about them should we be emulating? What makes them strong?

My first thought was, unless we can emulate a preponderance of two parent homes where the parents work, we aren't likely to be able to match what happens in the public schools that would be deemed as successful......
02-02-2017 11:05 AM
Advertisement

DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(02-02-2017 10:53 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Why am I supposed to be opposed to DeVos? Because Al Franken showed she isn't familiar with educrat jargon? That doesn't even reach a 1.0 on my give-a-****-o-meter.

Everything the federal government does on education is pointless ****.

US education is bad because we have minority groups that have fallen behind. The end. All of this NCLB and Common Core crap is not going to help.

I don't care if someone who isn't educated in multicultural pedagogy theory is the head of a useless department that's doing more harm than good to education.

It is her ignorance of the laws about the disabled that is hurting her. I am surprised that Sessions got through when he on C-Span speaking about the disability laws that was pass for equal education for the disabled back in the 1970s saying that it is a burden on the teachers with no discipline and being chaos. Actually, it is the bullies get the paddle a lot since my teachers have been doing the disciplining. My teachers told my parents that I have been an angel in their classroom since I was born with a hearing issue. It is the teachers that are too lazy to do any discipline. I had one that let the bullies do whatever they can do in class.
02-02-2017 12:06 PM
fsquid Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis, Queens (NC)

CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
she'd be the first cabinet nomination defeated in which the party of the president had a majority in the Senate.
02-02-2017 07:50 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
(02-02-2017 09:11 AM)Machiavelli Wrote:  And this ^^^^^^^^^^ is why you are the perfect representative of a Trump voter. Should be their mantra. "I'm as ignorant as heck and don't have a clue of what I am talking about but it couldn't be much worse! Could it?

That's not a way to govern.

"We have to pass this bill so that we can find out what's in it".

Who said that and where does she work?
02-02-2017 08:06 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
nm
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2017 08:12 PM by Hood-rich.)
02-02-2017 08:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.