Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

WBB vs W&M 1/29/17
Bookmark and Share
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
WBB vs W&M 1/29/17
Have been wanting to make a trip down to Bill and Gary to watch the Lady Dukes play there for a couple of years now. Finally did it yesterday. Wife, younger daughter and I made the road trip for a most enjoyable game. There was a fairly good turnout of purple people among the 1000 or so fans that attended the game. Kaplan Arena is a reasonable facility although the one end that had no seats (has a stage setup) was a bit strange. Looks like an older facility but it had comfortable seats and nice sightlines.

The Lady Dukes played a hard fought defensive game yesterday and won 79-64. Hailee hit 4 threes and P Hall had 27 points. W&M has a number of very tall players and gave the Dukes some fits inside but at the end of the game the rebounding margin was about even. They forced the Dukes to rely on some great outside shooting that they were able to take advantage of by hitting 12 threes!! The Tribe ran a number of successful plays that resulted in easy layups but the Dukes D kept them away from the basket for most of the game and forced them to do some outside shooting that they were not very good at. Only hit 1 three in 12 or so attempts.

Highlight of the game for me was late in the 4th quarter when the Dukes were up by 12 or so. After passing the ball around the perimeter Hailee threw a perfect lob/alley opp pass to Kimiah who caught it in mid air and put it in for a bucket. Just an insanely pretty play I do not recall ever seeing the Lady Dukes do!!!! For C's and G's I went to the Madizone archive and watched it again. If anyone is interested check it out. It happens at the 1:56:00 mark on the broadcast timeline. You will enjoy it.

Lady Dukes are now 14-6 overall and 7-2 in conference. Have two road games this coming weekend at Hofstra and Northeastern. Dukes seem to be on a bit of a roll so hopefully they will win both. Have already beaten each team so far this year. The following weekend will be two tough games against Delaware and Elon!!

Brian
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 03:15 PM by ParentofJMUMRDs.)
01-30-2017 03:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: WBB vs W&M 1/29/17
Thanks for the report, Good Sir.

Lady Dukes still control its destiny to capture the #1 seed for the CAAT at the Convo.
01-30-2017 03:16 PM
Flyrod Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-30-2017 03:16 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  Thanks for the report, Good Sir.

Lady Dukes still control its destiny to capture the #1 seed for the CAAT at the Convo.

oh thats right I forgot JMU is Hosting the CAA this year!...... Sweet
01-30-2017 03:40 PM
Next Sports Phenom Offline
Water Engineer

Of note the Dukes were 100% from the line and DeLisha Griffith was in the house says she misses the team and the fans very much.
01-30-2017 06:47 PM
LovethoseDukes Online
1st String

I Root For: JMU of course!
I was at the game as well. Brian's analysis of the game is right on point. Traditionally, JMU has had trouble playing well at W&M - no idea why but over the years there have been more than one game where the team lost a game they should have one. For the most part yesterday they were focused and played with some intensity. W&M DID run one play several times that resulted in an easy bucket under the basket, but JMU made up for those with some insane three point shooting.

Logan had another fantastic game and brought an incredible amount of energy and pinpoint shooting to the team. She has improved so much over the last couple of weeks and I hope the success she is having will add to her confidence and make her keep on shooting!

My favorite play of the game was on one of Hailee's three point shots from wayyyy beyond the arc. It hit nothing but net, Hailee turned to Coach O, gave him a huge smile and two thumbs up. Love seeing them having fun and working hard.

There will be some purple in the crowd at Hofstra as the Crown Club takes its annual trip to New York. Several former players are from the New York area and they traditionally come to the game as well. Any JMU supporters in the New York or Boston area should go to the game and cheer these ladies on....they are playing their hearts out.
01-30-2017 07:00 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

Saw Kenny's 19th ranked Hokies got ***** slapped by UVA last Thursday 76-27. Ouch
01-31-2017 07:09 PM
Advertisement

ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Saw that also, did not believe it. Having some trouble with the ACC Conference schedule so far.

Brian
01-31-2017 08:03 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2017 08:03 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Saw that also, did not believe it. Having some trouble with the ACC Conference schedule so far.

Brian

Yeah, a lot of ranked teams to navigate. He'll get it done in the next couple of years. Still, 3-5 in conference is not too bad w/ what he's working with. Just didn't think they'd suffer the blowouts.
01-31-2017 08:54 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2017 08:54 PM)olddawg Wrote:  
(01-31-2017 08:03 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Saw that also, did not believe it. Having some trouble with the ACC Conference schedule so far.

Brian

Yeah, a lot of ranked teams to navigate. He'll get it done in the next couple of years. Still, 3-5 in conference is not too bad w/ what he's working with. Just didn't think they'd suffer the blowouts.

The Hokies are in a very tough stretch of games right now. That 3-5 could easily be 3-9 or 4-8 in a couple of weeks. The ACC is brutal.
01-31-2017 08:59 PM
Dukester Offline

(01-31-2017 07:09 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Saw Kenny's 19th ranked Hokies got ***** slapped by UVA last Thursday 76-27. Ouch

Wow - yikes that's an ugly one. 04-jawdrop
01-31-2017 09:02 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Honeymoon is over. Kenny facing tougher competition. How he does in the ACC over the next 3-4 years will show us all how good of a coach he really is. He was great against the CAA.
01-31-2017 09:05 PM
Advertisement

Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2017 09:05 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Honeymoon is over. Kenny facing tougher competition. How he does in the ACC over the next 3-4 years will show us all how good of a coach he really is. He was great against the CAA.

He's already doing well and my money is on him getting VPI&SU up into the middle portion of the ACC. That alone will get him on the NCAAT bubble every year...like they are now. He already has a 5-star guard from D.C. verbally committed to sign in April. I don't ever recall a 5-star signing with the Hokies in WBB...rarely a 4-star for that matter. He has terrific connections throughout the Mid-Atlantic, which is rich in WBB talent as we all know.

The ACC is just so competitive though with Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, FSU, et al. 8-8 in that league is likely a lock for the NCAAT with 7-9 and a win at the ACCT likely on the good side of the bubble.

edit note: the #1 rated sophomore girls hoopster in the nation as rated by ESPN.com is in the county next door to the east of Rockingham County (Greene County...William Monroe HS...Samantha Brunelle). UConn has already reportedly offered her and Geno A. has been to her gym to see her shoot around. UVA and VPI&SU (pre-Kenny) have been attending her games since she was in the 8th grade playing JV. I don't know if she is considering JMU at all. Probably not. Would be incredible if she would.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2017 09:21 PM by Wear Purple.)
01-31-2017 09:17 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-31-2017 09:05 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  Honeymoon is over. Kenny facing tougher competition. How he does in the ACC over the next 3-4 years will show us all how good of a coach he really is. He was great against the CAA.

What's your prediction for his success? This kind of reads like you have doubts.
01-31-2017 10:12 PM
dukesfan4010 Offline
2nd String

(01-31-2017 09:17 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  

He's already doing well and my money is on him getting VPI&SU up into the middle portion of the ACC. That alone will get him on the NCAAT bubble every year...like they are now. He already has a 5-star guard from D.C. verbally committed to sign in April. I don't ever recall a 5-star signing with the Hokies in WBB...rarely a 4-star for that matter. He has terrific connections throughout the Mid-Atlantic, which is rich in WBB talent as we all know.

The ACC is just so competitive though with Notre Dame, Louisville, Duke, FSU, et al. 8-8 in that league is likely a lock for the NCAAT with 7-9 and a win at the ACCT likely on the good side of the bubble.

edit note: the #1 rated sophomore girls hoopster in the nation as rated by ESPN.com is in the county next door to the east of Rockingham County (Greene County...William Monroe HS...Samantha Brunelle). UConn has already reportedly offered her and Geno A. has been to her gym to see her shoot around. UVA and VPI&SU (pre-Kenny) have been attending her games since she was in the 8th grade playing JV. I don't know if she is considering JMU at all. Probably not. Would be incredible if she would.

I know Tech had a five star sign a few years back....Kelly Koshuta...Who now wears the purple and gold!
02-01-2017 08:27 AM
formerjmusprinter84 Offline
1st String

I Root For: James Madison
(01-31-2017 07:09 PM)olddawg Wrote:  Saw Kenny's 19th ranked Hokies got ***** slapped by UVA last Thursday 76-27. Ouch

I would think that would have to be his largest loss (scoring margin) as a college coach. Never recall the lady Dukes losing by 49 or more.
02-01-2017 08:46 AM
dukes13 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Dukes of JMU

She follows O Regan and JMUWbb on social media lol she is more than likely a UConn player but she could be our EDD!
02-01-2017 10:36 AM
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(02-01-2017 10:36 AM)dukes13 Wrote:  

She follows O Regan and JMUWbb on social media lol she is more than likely a UConn player but she could be our EDD!
She and her mother attended a game last season and early on during this one. FWIW
02-01-2017 02:07 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Hyper:

I am rootin for Kenny but I do have my doubts. The ACC is a big step up in competition. Kenny did well in the CAA but not in the NCAA when JMU played better competition.

Kenny had to take the Tech job. It is a great opportunity and he earned it.

Tech lost to ND tonight so the slide continues.
02-02-2017 09:10 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I feel like with increased resources, he will find his way to success. His lack of NCAA tourney wins at JMU doesn't raise questions for me about his coaching ability. I think it spoke more to his recruiting ceiling at JMU.
02-02-2017 09:34 PM
JMU_Rocks! Offline
Special Teams

Basketball and football are tough sports in this respect. 'Mid-major' type teams rarely get home games or even neutral site games. Then they face off against teams that get press and more attention in situations stacked against higher profile programs. Not that the competition is significantly different, but the experience and dealing with the moment may be.

Sitting in the ACC, a KB team will face talent and high-profile games several times at home and on the road. He is a good enough coach to help his current talent play better and I think is a good enough recruiter to keep improving their talent over time. Consistently staying in the top-20 would be a step up for VaTech. It will be interesting to watch over time the pecking order for the VA teams. KB will need to have VaTech at least in the top 3 to, keep the role long term.
02-02-2017 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.