Rice vs Stanford Official Travel Package
dragon2owl Online
Heisman

I Root For: RICE
Rice vs Stanford Official Travel Package
5-Night Package
August 23-28

https://www.sydneycuptravel.com/rice/
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 02:25 PM by dragon2owl.)
01-30-2017 02:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

critten Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice University
RE: Rice vs Stanford Official Travel Package
too bad we don't get first dibs on seats...just tickets puts us behind telstra users//website premium members // others// general public.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 02:51 PM by critten.)
01-30-2017 02:50 PM
greyowl72 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
Looks pretty good.
Not happy that there's only economy seats on the flights.
01-30-2017 03:13 PM
greyowl72 Online
Heisman

(01-30-2017 03:13 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  Looks pretty good.
Not happy that there's only economy seats on the flights.

And.... not quite sure about the flight details... the "add-ons" list the flights as Houston-Auckland then flight change to Auckland-Sydney. That makes an already long flight even longer.
Still. A pretty good price overal.
01-30-2017 03:25 PM
YOwl Ming Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-30-2017 02:25 PM)dragon2owl Wrote:  5-Night Package
August 23-28

https://www.sydneycuptravel.com/rice/

Website blocked at work - does travel have to originate from Houston?
01-30-2017 03:31 PM
75src Offline
All American

Leland Winston is happy to go as team doctor.
01-30-2017 03:37 PM
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

There are cheaper non-stop flights from DFW...no non-stops from IAH.
01-30-2017 04:04 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
This is going to turn off many of us who are considering going. First off, many of us are not going to endure a 15 hour flight seated in economy. Sorry, but that's insane. And the stopover in Aukland is equally ridiculous. Finally, given the travel time, just 5 nights in Australia is awfully tight.

I guess I'll have to look into other options. Ugh.
01-30-2017 06:27 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
For comparison, here's the Stanford package...

http://cfsydneycup.wpengine.com/stanford...3fde2-3798

Pricier, and doesn't include airfare, but a much nicer hotel in arguably the best location in Sydney (The Rocks), just a couple blocks from the harbor and the Opera House.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 06:51 PM by waltgreenberg.)
01-30-2017 06:50 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
FYI ... Sydney's mean temperatures and rainfall in late winter:

Daily High Temp (°F) // Daily Low Temp (°F)

>> Aug: 63.9 // 48.0
>> Sep: 67.8 // 51.8

Monthly rainfall (inches) // Number of days with rain

>> Aug: 3.2 // 9.9
>> Sep: 2.7 // 10.3
01-30-2017 07:09 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2017 06:50 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  For comparison, here's the Stanford package...

Pricier, and doesn't include airfare, but a much nicer hotel in arguably the best location in Sydney (The Rocks), just a couple blocks from the harbor and the Opera House.

I'm no Sydney expert, but Google Maps says that the Radisson is a 8 minute walk from "The Rocks."

Honestly, the Rice package seems like a fine deal to me when compared to the Stanford one. The Raddison gets 4.5/5 on TripAdvisor.

With that said, I probably won't be attending the game, and if I do, am likely to go the AirBnB route to save money.
01-30-2017 07:27 PM
Advertisement

critten Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Rice University
I booked iah-nrt-icn-syd and same back...lol way more plane time (30hrs) but at least it is in business. Half united/ half asiana (not saying united is great or the caliber of ANZ, but all my travels is on UA our of IAH for miles/pqd).

Flew air new zealand in economy before from syd (About 3 hours) but their national meat product is lamb so the food was terrific compared to the mush served on us carriers.

Raddison blu at 220 or Four Seasons Sydney at 229....yeah I think I'll stay at the four seasons. (hilton pricing out around 220 as well, but alot of not bad places to stay on the budget!)
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 07:31 PM by critten.)
01-30-2017 07:30 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-30-2017 06:50 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  For comparison, here's the Stanford package...

Radisson is not that far from the Rocks, walking distance, also walking distance to Darling Harbour side.
01-30-2017 07:30 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

(01-30-2017 07:30 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  

Radisson is not that far from the Rocks, walking distance, also walking distance to Darling Harbour side.

I stayed in that Radisson for 3 weeks for work in Sydney, it is actually a great location because it is right in the middle of the CBD and about 5 min from the Circular Quay and the Opera House and also pretty close to the subway if I recall. Also, very easy walk to the Rocks. It appears to have been renovated since then and looks a bit nicer.
01-30-2017 08:11 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-30-2017 08:11 PM)owl95 Wrote:  

I stayed in that Radisson for 3 weeks for work in Sydney, it is actually a great location because it is right in the middle of the CBD and about 5 min from the Circular Quay and the Opera House and also pretty close to the subway if I recall. Also, very easy walk to the Rocks. It appears to have been renovated since then and looks a bit nicer.

FYI, Circular Quay and the Opera House are in The Rocks. It's been 11 years since my last visit, but isn't the Radisson a couple blocks from the Hilton? And didn't the Four Seasons take over the Ritz Carlton, which is half a block down from the InterContinental?

BTW, FWIW, Asiana is the absolute worst airline I have ever flown on (multiple times out of Seoul), and I was always in business class.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 08:29 PM by waltgreenberg.)
01-30-2017 08:25 PM
greyowl72 Online
Heisman

(01-30-2017 06:27 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  This is going to turn off many of us who are considering going. First off, many of us are not going to endure a 15 hour flight seated in economy. Sorry, but that's insane. And the stopover in Aukland is equally ridiculous. Finally, given the travel time, just 5 nights in Australia is awfully tight.

I sort of agree with Walt.
I don't think you can emerge from jet lag in 5 days on a trip like that.
At my age, any flight more than 3-4 hours is torture if I'm sitting in coach.
As an old vascular surgeon colleague of mine always says, "You can't put a price on the prevention of deep vein thrombosis!"
01-30-2017 09:02 PM
Advertisement

georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(01-30-2017 07:27 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I'm no Sydney expert, but Google Maps says that the Radisson is a 8 minute walk from "The Rocks."

Honestly, the Rice package seems like a fine deal to me when compared to the Stanford one. The Raddison gets 4.5/5 on TripAdvisor.

You're missing the point! The Rice way is not to take advantage of something that, if not perfect, is still pretty darn good and to enjoy the camaraderie of traveling as a group.
Rather, the Rice way is to complain about ANY official program that is offered, to make separate arrangements instead -- and then to wonder why Rice offers so few official trips.
01-30-2017 09:06 PM
owl95 Offline
1st String

(01-30-2017 08:25 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 08:11 PM)owl95 Wrote:  

FYI, Circular Quay and the Opera House are in The Rocks. It's been 11 years since my last visit, but isn't the Radisson a couple blocks from the Hilton? And didn't the Four Seasons take over the Ritz Carlton, which is half a block down from the InterContinental?

BTW, FWIW, Asiana is the absolute worst airline I have ever flown on (multiple times out of Seoul), and I was always in business class.

Not sure I remember where the Hilton was in relation but from the Radisson, you walk straight down Pitt St about 2 blocks and it puts you right at the ferry at the Circular Quay and the Opera House would be just on your right.
01-30-2017 10:01 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-30-2017 09:02 PM)greyowl72 Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 06:27 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  This is going to turn off many of us who are considering going. First off, many of us are not going to endure a 15 hour flight seated in economy. Sorry, but that's insane. And the stopover in Aukland is equally ridiculous. Finally, given the travel time, just 5 nights in Australia is awfully tight.

I sort of agree with Walt.
I don't think you can emerge from jet lag in 5 days on a trip like that.
At my age, any flight more than 3-4 hours is torture if I'm sitting in coach.
As an old vascular surgeon colleague of mine always says, "You can't put a price on the prevention of deep vein thrombosis!"

BTW, it's not even 5 days, as most flights to Australia from the U.S. arrive in the evening (which would be night #1) and flights back to the U.S. depart early in the afternoon. So we're really talking only 4 full days in Sydney.
01-30-2017 10:50 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-30-2017 09:06 PM)georgewebb Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 07:27 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  I'm no Sydney expert, but Google Maps says that the Radisson is a 8 minute walk from "The Rocks."

You're missing the point! The Rice way is not to take advantage of something that, if not perfect, is still pretty darn good and to enjoy the camaraderie of traveling as a group.
Rather, the Rice way is to complain about ANY official program that is offered, to make separate arrangements instead -- and then to wonder why Rice offers so few official trips.

No, George, that's not my style, and you know it. While I might have preferred other options, I have no problem with the hotel choice, and I can even live with the 5 nights (though that's really only 4 days in Sydney, which is crazy short for a trip of that distance). What I object mightily about is the economy only airfare option on 15+ hour flight. That's cruelty for a young, healthy traveler, but for anyone with back issues or long legs, it's nothing short of torture. We're not talking about a 2 1/2 hour trip to South Bend or even a close to 4 hour trip to Cuba; rather, a 15+ hour flight. Personally speaking, any flight over 4 hours and I either use my upgrades or opt to pay first class. Call me spoiled, but that's the honest truth. BTW, there's a reason why most corporations have a policy whereby officers or managers at or above the VP level get to fly business class on flights over 6 hours.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 11:04 PM by waltgreenberg.)
01-30-2017 10:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.