Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TV package getting worse this year
sctvman Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: C of Charleston
The CAA is the 12th rated league by KenPom, 11th in RPI, with two teams in the top 100, four in the top 125.

It is better than leagues such as the MAC, Ivy and Conference USA, and almost equal to the West Coast (the league that Gonzaga is in) and the Missouri Valley, yet the TV package this year is worse than a league like the Big South (who has a Thursday night package on ESPNU and the championship finals on ESPN this year).

ASN has a 9 game package this year, and all of them so far have been called from a studio in West Palm Beach or Kansas City. They mispronounce names and players frequently. Also, the games are unavailable unless your RSN or local channel has space and happens to pick them up. Their contract runs out after this year.

CSN has 13 games, but 6 of them are during the CAA tourney. I know CSN has done some cutbacks (cutting their Nats and O's reporters), but out of the regular season, every game but one will be done from either Towson or William & Mary (which coincidentally are the two easiest to get to from DC). CofC's TV games are good productions, but those are online only outside of the Charleston area.

Not having the Thursday night games and DHs the league had the last few years has hurt the visibility of the league this year.

For next year, Commissioner D'Antonio needs to get games back on a major national network. Be it FS1/2, CBSSN (where the CAA finals will be this year), or one of the ESPNs, even for a small number of games plus the championship, this would help the visibility of the league. What are your thoughts?
01-30-2017 11:46 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

zablenoise Offline
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: TV package getting worse this year
Any shot at renegotiating with NBCSN? I really loved that deal for us.
01-30-2017 12:20 PM
HyperDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: JMU
It seems that NBCSN is moving away from their college football/basketball deals in favor of hockey & premiership soccer.
01-30-2017 01:39 PM
Seahawkhoops Online
All American

I Root For: UNCW
(01-31-2017 08:43 AM)J.B. Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 11:46 AM)sctvman Wrote:  The CAA is the 12th rated league by KenPom, 11th in RPI, with two teams in the top 100, four in the top 125.

It is better than leagues such as the MAC, Ivy and Conference USA, and almost equal to the West Coast (the league that Gonzaga is in) and the Missouri Valley, yet the TV package this year is worse than a league like the Big South (who has a Thursday night package on ESPNU and the championship finals on ESPN this year).

ASN has a 9 game package this year, and all of them so far have been called from a studio in West Palm Beach or Kansas City. They mispronounce names and players frequently. Also, the games are unavailable unless your RSN or local channel has space and happens to pick them up. Their contract runs out after this year.

CSN has 13 games, but 6 of them are during the CAA tourney. I know CSN has done some cutbacks (cutting their Nats and O's reporters), but out of the regular season, every game but one will be done from either Towson or William & Mary (which coincidentally are the two easiest to get to from DC). CofC's TV games are good productions, but those are online only outside of the Charleston area.

Not having the Thursday night games and DHs the league had the last few years has hurt the visibility of the league this year.

For next year, Commissioner D'Antonio needs to get games back on a major national network. Be it FS1/2, CBSSN (where the CAA finals will be this year), or one of the ESPNs, even for a small number of games plus the championship, this would help the visibility of the league. What are your thoughts?

The ASN games aren't being "called from a studio". They just do the pregame shows from there. But I agree that the announcers are subpar. I actually like the ASN deal as a secondary deal, and I hope it gets renewed. The Drexel/COC game on Saturday was broadcast live in about 30 states and most major markets, so it was in essence, a national game.

I think this is just a transitional year, since NBC backed out of the deal at the last minute. I'm sure that there will be something better in place next year. But we all have to remember that even though the CAA is having a great year, it's still a mid-major conference that the majority of Americans do not care about. Any TV contract that we get will be sort of a break even type deal, and not a big time money deal like the Power 6-7 get.
If i hear "He's going right down main street" one more time, someone is getting hurt :)
02-02-2017 01:24 PM

J.B. Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Drexel
http://awfulannouncing.com/local-network...month.html

It appears that American Sports Network is out of the question for the CAA in the future as they are ceasing operations. This is a shame. While I've heard a lot of criticism about that network, I thought that they served the CAA and some other conferences quite well. They got the CAA some games on TV that might not have been otherwise. I also like how they took advantage of using local substations, instead of trying to be your typical 2nd tier cable network.
03-10-2017 03:00 PM
solohawks Offline
Heisman

Another sign we are heading down the ESPN road
03-10-2017 08:33 PM
geewizNU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Northeastern
I'm not surprised. Although they put at lot of football, hoops and hockey games on, it was clearly a second rate production.

I mean the hockey analyst was a former goalie from Stony Brook! Really?
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2017 01:44 AM by geewizNU.)
03-11-2017 01:42 AM

dan10 Offline
1st String

(03-10-2017 08:33 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Another sign we are heading down the ESPN road

We can only hope.
03-11-2017 06:51 AM
J.B. Offline
2nd String

(03-11-2017 01:42 AM)geewizNU Wrote:  I'm not surprised. Although they put at lot of football, hoops and hockey games on, it was clearly a second rate production.

I mean the hockey analyst was a former goalie from Stony Brook! Really?

Maybe second rate. But compared to most schools' in-house productions on CAA.TV, the ASN broadcasts were like watching the Super Bowl.

I'm just hoping that we get a new contract that still provides a significant amount of professional TV broadcasts and aren't limited to just streaming.
03-11-2017 09:30 AM
CoastGuardHawk06 Offline
Chief Warrant Officer of the Board

(03-10-2017 08:33 PM)solohawks Wrote:  Another sign we are heading down the ESPN road

Thankfully. The current deal was a catastrophe.
03-11-2017 12:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.