UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UAB football kickoff times...
CourtsideBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: BlazerBall !
UAB football kickoff times...
I understand the Athletics Department is polling ticket holders on their preferred start times for football games. The options are 11am, 3pm, & 7pm.
Coach Clark wants 11am, AD Ingram wants 7pm and, so far, the majority of fans prefer the 3pm start time.

I think a 1pm kickoff would be ideal for our home games @ Legion Field. That would give plenty of tailgate time, out of town travel would not be a huge problem and gets everybody local home before dark.
01-30-2017 05:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
RE: UAB football kickoff times...
Due to my situation I prefer 7 and could make 3 work sometimes 11 will make things tough on my bunch. Then we are choosing between grandkids and uab. I guess we'll figure it out.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 07:11 AM by ATTALLABLAZE.)
01-30-2017 07:11 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BlazerDon Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB
(01-30-2017 07:11 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Due to my situation I prefer 7 and could make 3 work sometimes 11 will make things tough on my bunch. Then we are choosing between grandkids and uab. I guess we'll figure it out.

I can make it work but 11AM makes it rough on those coming in from out of town/state and also reduces tailgate time. I can see where it could help attendance for the more casual fan.
01-30-2017 07:33 AM
biglizard Offline
All American

I Root For:
I can see 7p for the first couple of games when it's just so bloody hot. After that 3p makes more sense even though we'll run up against the other schools. 11a is going to be really tough for most people coming from out of town
01-30-2017 09:02 AM
dfarr Offline
Murse Practitioner

BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
(01-30-2017 09:02 AM)biglizard Wrote:  I can see 7p for the first couple of games when it's just so bloody hot. After that 3p makes more sense even though we'll run up against the other schools. 11a is going to be really tough for most people coming from out of town

Agreed. Evening games during the Alabama summer, then mid afternoon games as it cools down. 11am games suck all around, especially for OOT folks. The downside to the 7pm games is driving home for us out of towners.
01-30-2017 09:14 AM
4thDownBlazer Offline
Special Teams

any idea why clark wants 11am and ingram wants 7?
01-30-2017 10:00 AM
Advertisement

Tree Missile Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Trees
Just guessing: 11am means little interference from other teams' games. Bama and Auburn won't pull as many people away from us if we're not playing head-to-head, so to speak. 7pm means easier for students and young adults to attend, but harder on some families with younger kids, and you compete directly against Auburn, Alabama, and the rest of the SEC.
01-30-2017 10:06 AM
4thDownBlazer Offline
Special Teams

I feel like we should look at bama and auburn schedule and try to guess which ones are playing at 230 CBS and 7 night and try to make our schedule that way. . im not a huge fan of night games at legion, however 11am is a tailgaters worst nightmare..
01-30-2017 10:08 AM
4thDownBlazer Offline
Special Teams

the only two opportunities where Alabama and auburn are both away and have bye weeks same week, blazers are on the road in conference. . C-USA really screwed us on that one.
01-30-2017 10:19 AM
UABFRENCHY Offline
Heisman

Donators
(01-30-2017 10:19 AM)4thDownBlazer Wrote:  the only two opportunities where Alabama and auburn are both away and have bye weeks same week, blazers are on the road in conference. . C-USA really screwed us on that one.

IF we had a good AD he will at work on it and fix it .
01-30-2017 10:24 AM
4thDownBlazer Offline
Special Teams

at this point we need to work with conference on tv games on Thursday night. as many as possible. this will avoid bama and auburn
01-30-2017 10:26 AM
Advertisement

hooverblazer Offline
Promoter of UAB

Wouldn't our kick times be mostly dictated by TV? I doubt the AL A&M or Coastal Carolina games will have TV, but I'd think the CUSA games would.

In a perfect world, my preference would probably be 3. That allows time to tailgate without having to wake up early on a Saturday and gets you home at a reasonable time or allows for grabbing dinner somewhere after the game. 11AM kicks pretty much kills the tailgating experience and will also probably cause you to lessen the student crowd. 7pm kicks make it tougher for families with young kids & out of towners traveling home. Plus, the 7pm kick probably hurts attendance of the average B'ham metro resident as a lot of people won't be comfortable being at Legion Field at night.

The reality of the situation is UA and AU game times will directly impact our attendance. I agree with trying our best to avoid head to head game times.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 10:29 AM by hooverblazer.)
01-30-2017 10:26 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
I used to go to a lot of Iowa games, and initially hated the 11am starts...then I sort of got used to it...tailgating breakfast is cool from time to time
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 10:43 AM by LairDweller.)
01-30-2017 10:42 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
I believe they're talking about games not dictated by television
01-30-2017 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazinrunner Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB & Marlins
Like someone posted earlier, I like evening games early in the year and early afternoon games later in the year.
01-30-2017 11:31 AM
busch Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
(01-30-2017 10:00 AM)4thDownBlazer Wrote:  any idea why clark wants 11am and ingram wants 7?

Many coaches that I've talked to over the years love the early games. They don't like the sit around and wait that happens with the later games. I would think, though, that 1 p.m. would be better than 11.
01-30-2017 11:49 AM
Advertisement

TMcCarty Offline
Maximus Decimus Meridius

Folding@NCAAbbs
11am and 3pm work much better than 7pm given our two young kids. Prefer 3pm since we're mostly in the shade of the press-box during the game.
01-30-2017 11:56 AM
the Dragon Offline
Heisman

I once had the very young kids, and we brought them to the games no matter the time. For 7 PM games on Saturdays, they may fall asleep before the end, but that is manageable.

My current problem is that they have gotten a little older, and some of them have soccer games in the fall. Usually, the games would be during the day, most commonly in the 8-12n time slot. So, I like the 3PM or, even better, the 7 PM time slot!
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2017 12:15 PM by the Dragon.)
01-30-2017 12:14 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Players don't tailgate so coaches don't consider that. Fans do tailgate so they do consider that. I would prefer an afternoon time for travel to and from the game. Since I prefer live on site UAB football to TV games, I don't care what other teams are doing on TV at that time. Besides, AU and UA are not the only teams whose TV coverage might interfere with UAB attendance.
01-30-2017 12:33 PM
dixiehack Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Alabama
(01-30-2017 10:19 AM)4thDownBlazer Wrote:  the only two opportunities where Alabama and auburn are both away and have bye weeks same week, blazers are on the road in conference. . C-USA really screwed us on that one.

Alabama routinely takes its open date on Magic City Classic weekend. Hard to have a home game for that one.
01-30-2017 07:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.