Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Conference Digital Networks.
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Conference Digital Networks.
As the consumers are moving away from cable subscriptions and toward either some skinny bundles ( Dish Flex, Sling, Vue..etc.) or just going to OTA TV and misc other internet services (Netflix, Hulu, Prime..), I was wondering if the P5 schools would go more to a paid subscription for their digital networks.
I don't think we are at an inflection point yet, but the momentum is shifting and picking up the pace.
It got me thinking which conferences have games on their digital networks. I've came up with the following from my research.

PAC 12, SEC and Big 10:
All show a lot sporting events on the digital networks but you need to login with a TV provider which cuts out the increasing cord cutters. The Big 10 has a digital plus version which show other sporting events not on BTN but it is an additional subscription. ($120/year or $15/month). To get digital plus you still need to have a TV provider to login.

Big 12 - Texas:
They don't have any game on their digital network since all the schools own their 3rd tier rights. Their digital network only shows highlights.

ACC:
They have a digital network that shows occasional games for free. (Today was Duke vs Wake). A lot of other digital events are on ESPN3.

Sunbelt:
They have a digital network but only has a few highlights. Any games that are digital are on ESPN3.

AAC:
The have a digital network and shows highlights mainly with a sporadic game on the network for free. Most of the games are on various ESPN platforms like News/U or ESPN3

MAC:
Their digital network is basically all ESPN3. Which is part of their new contract with ESPN and holder of all digital rights.

CUSA:
They have their digital network for games not shown on the various TV partners or ESPN3. The digital network though is a subscription service and is ran by Sidearm Sports...which I suspect gets the majority of the revenue from the subscriptions.

MW:
Their digital networks show pretty much any event for free that is not on TV. Root Sports games are available on the MWDN if you are not in the Root viewing area. (Unfortunately for me Root has all Texas blocked cause they say they have an area in Houston or some partner I guess).
The vast majority of games are produced by the school with some of the major and championship games produced by the MW Network.

I think with the fan base the P5 conferences have, they could go to a subscription service without need a TV partner.

For the G5 conferences, A subscription service wouldn't be feasible as of now...perhaps in the long term but at a cheap rate they could when the fan base is more knowledgeable about the network.
It would take a few million of dollars to invest in a serious digital network and about a million to maintain. The conference would have to help the individual schools with the necessary equipment. I know ESPN has had to have the MAC schools meet certain standards to show games on ESPN3 and I think their contract helps out with that.
CUSA while having a digital network that is fee based, I don't think its working for them very well. Not sure what they are going to do down the road with it.
The Sunbelt doesn't seem to have the resources to invest in one, or they are tied to ESPN3 so it wouldn't do much for them to run their own network.
The AAC has the resources and do show a game or two but as long as they have most of the games ran by ESPN, they won't have many events to show for their fans.
The MW invested in the digital network and have helped provide money for the schools to get the necessary equipment so each school produces the games and events. Some schools have contracted local TV sports commentators for the games. The momentum is picking the pace as more viewers are tuning in to games on the MWDN year after year.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2017 08:43 PM by MWC Tex.)
01-28-2017 08:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
RE: Conference Digital Networks.
The MAC Digital Network on ESPN3 shows Women's Basketball, Volleyball and Wrestling too beyond the revenue sports.

Its not a full Oly sport showcase but a partial one at that.

The landscape is certainly changing. With respect to G5 deals, the AAC has to lead the way and earn for itself a larger TV deal. Fox i'd like to see move in and give the AAC an offer they can't refuse. That would open the door for other G5 conferences.
01-28-2017 09:05 PM
p23570
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Something like this would instantly change the valuation of certain schools if schools got to keep the money from the subscriptions their fans purchased.

Schools like Rutgers go from the pent house to the out house as far as value. And those schools with actual fans increase in value tremendously. I personally like that method of an "east what you kill" valuation as the days of adding UMass to charge everyone in Massachusetts for something they don't watch is coming to an end. In the ned sports fans will pay more to watch live sports but save by not paying for a bunch of other stuff we do not watch.

I believe Campus Insiders handles the MW network. https://campusinsiders.com/
I noticed a Campus Insiders channel show up on my Sling Subscription a while back about the same time they added the regional PAC networks.

I aso hope Fox gives the AAC a payday. Of all the conferences out there they are the most underpaid. Something in the 10m+/- range would seem more appropriate.
01-29-2017 11:45 AM
Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(01-28-2017 08:19 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  As the consumers are moving away from cable subscriptions and toward either some skinny bundles ( Dish Flex, Sling, Vue..etc.) or just going to OTA TV and misc other internet services (Netflix, Hulu, Prime..), I was wondering if the P5 schools would go more to a paid subscription for their digital networks.
I don't think we are at an inflection point yet, but the momentum is shifting and picking up the pace.
It got me thinking which conferences have games on their digital networks. I've came up with the following from my research.

ACC:
They have a digital network that shows occasional games for free. (Today was Duke vs Wake). A lot of other digital events are on ESPN3.

Here are the football games which were broadcast live on ACC Network Extra this past season:

2016 Football on ACCX
Game Network Time
Tulane at Wake Forest Thursday 9/1 7:00 PM
William & Mary at NC State Thursday 9/1 7:30 PM
Colgate at Syracuse Friday 9/2 7:00 PM
Villanova at Pittsburgh Saturday 9/3 1:30 PM
Richmond at Virginia Saturday 9/3 3:30 PM
NC Central at Duke Saturday 9/3 6:00 PM
Florida A&M at Miami (FL) Saturday 9/3 6:00 PM
Mercer at Georgia Tech Saturday 9/10 3:00 PM
FAU at Miami (FL) Saturday 9/10 6:00 PM
USF at Syracuse Saturday 9/17 3:30 PM
Old Dominion at NC State Saturday 9/17 6:00 PM
Delaware at Wake Forest Saturday 9/17 6:30 PM
Wagner at Boston College Saturday 9/24 1:00 PM
Buffalo at Boston College Saturday 10/1 1:00 PM
Connecticut at Boston College Saturday 11/19 1:00 PM
The Citadel at North Carolina Saturday 11/19 3:30 PM

All of these required login (though in some cases I think your ISP provides it for you, included in the cost of your internet service).
01-29-2017 11:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MadisonHawk Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Iowa, Creighton
(01-28-2017 08:19 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  PAC 12, SEC and Big 10:
All show a lot sporting events on the digital networks but you need to login with a TV provider which cuts out the increasing cord cutters. The Big 10 has a digital plus version which show other sporting events not on BTN but it is an additional subscription. ($120/year or $15/month). To get digital plus you still need to have a TV provider to login.

Thank you for putting this list together. I agree with your trends and analysis. One minor clarification is that a person can sign up for BTN Plus Digital Network without being having a cable subscription. The events are mostly women's basketball and olympic sports (with a few pre-conference men's basketball games). In addition, BTN has added some On Demand classic football and basketball games to BTN Plus. The price is $120/year for all teams or $80/year for a single team. BTN Plus has improved a lot but there are still many olympic sports that are not on there yet and the On Demand library is limited (e.g. ~a dozen games).
01-29-2017 07:34 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
I live in CA, have just the most basic cable package, but it gets me much with watchESPN (which we can run on the large HD screen)

all ACC (controlled) games were available thru watchESPN
because I'm in CA I got P12N free
B12 mostly available except a couple non-conference games thru ESPN or watchESPN
BTN games not available live, but available on replay with watchESPN (ESPN is a partner)
- typically 3 B1G games were on a network live I could watch
SEC had 3 games on networks, the other 3-4 were SECN -- these I could not get on replay, requires a premium

On any given week I could watch almost all P5 games, although about 1/2 via watchESPN. Typically 3-4 I could not watch, most of those SECN. 28 games a week is was already far more than I could or cared to consume.

CBSSN does not have an online, so many G5 were not available, and frankly I didn't care, even though that meant I saw only 2 or 3 SJSU games. P5 is such a higher level, it's like who cares?

Pac-12 is not on the ESPN replay. I'd like to see CBS/CBSSN and FOX/FS1 have a replay like watchESPN. I'd like to watch a Stanford game on replay sometimes, or the SEC game of the week on CBS in replay, when it fits my schedule.
01-29-2017 08:06 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

Thanks for the clarifications and additional information.
01-29-2017 08:42 PM
Advertisement

p23570
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
Another channel that was airing games last season was be in sports. I think they must be the CUSA digital network to some degree.
01-29-2017 09:42 PM
Jet915 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Creighton/Navy
The Big East Digital Network is on Fox Sports GO and pretty much shows all Big East women's basketball games (not on FS1 or FS2), some women's volleyball, men's baseball and men's/women's soccer.
01-30-2017 02:54 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(01-29-2017 11:45 AM)p23570 Wrote:  Something like this would instantly change the valuation of certain schools if schools got to keep the money from the subscriptions their fans purchased.

Schools like Rutgers go from the pent house to the out house as far as value. And those schools with actual fans increase in value tremendously. I personally like that method of an "east what you kill" valuation as the days of adding UMass to charge everyone in Massachusetts for something they don't watch is coming to an end. In the ned sports fans will pay more to watch live sports but save by not paying for a bunch of other stuff we do not watch.

I noticed a Campus Insiders channel show up on my Sling Subscription a while back about the same time they added the regional PAC networks.

I aso hope Fox gives the AAC a payday. Of all the conferences out there they are the most underpaid. Something in the 10m+/- range would seem more appropriate.

I agree with you on the bolded points.
01-30-2017 03:24 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(01-29-2017 11:45 AM)p23570 Wrote:  Something like this would instantly change the valuation of certain schools if schools got to keep the money from the subscriptions their fans purchased.

I noticed a Campus Insiders channel UI show up on my Sling Subscription a while back about the same time they added the regional PAC networks.

Campus Insiders has a relationship with the MW but they don't handle the MWDN. CI produces some MW games the others are produced by the schools or MW.
Each MW school has a sub-account under the MW account on Livestream to broadcast events.
01-30-2017 04:20 PM
p23570
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-30-2017 04:20 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

I noticed a Campus Insiders channel UI show up on my Sling Subscription a while back about the same time they added the regional PAC networks.

Campus Insiders has a relationship with the MW but they don't handle the MWDN. CI produces some MW games the others are produced by the schools or MW.
Each MW school has a sub-account under the MW account on Livestream to broadcast events.
You sure about that? This seems to indicate otherwise.

http://www.themw.com/news/mwfb-16-campusinsiders-sked
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Mountain West Network on Campus Insiders announced today its broadcast schedule for the 2016 football season. The network will broadcast a total of seven games exclusively online beginning with a twin-bill on Thursday, Sept. 1 featuring Utah State hosting Weber State at 6 p.m. MT and UNLV taking on Jackson State in Las Vegas at 7 p.m. PT.

Due to a change in the Mountain West television schedule, the Tulsa at Fresno State contest on Saturday, Sept. 24 originally slated for a 7:30 p.m. PT kickoff on CBS Sports Network, has moved to 1:30 p.m. PT and will be showcased on the Mountain West Network on Campus Insiders.

The MWN and Campus Insiders will also feature a variety of Mountain West-related news, analysis and highlights throughout the entire 2016 season.

"Campus Insides once again is thrilled to be able to partner with the Mountain West on this slate of college football broadcasts." said Crowley Sullivan, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Campus Insiders. "The ability to provide our fans with big-time college football broadcasts on a variety of platforms allows us to continue to showcase the Mountain West and all of its student-athletes in the way that they deserve."

The complete listing of the seven MW football contests that will be streamed live and exclusively on the Mountain West Network and CampusInsiders.com are as follows:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...02606.html
Twitter Announces Partnership With Campus Insiders To Livestream College Games
Over 300 live college events from the Mountain West Conference, Patriot League and West Coast Conference, included as part of agreement
SAN FRANCISCO and CHICAGO, July 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Twitter today announced a new digital media rights partnership with Campus Insiders, highlighted by the live streaming of more than 300 college sports events.

"Twitter is the fastest way to see what's happening in sports," said Anthony Noto, Twitter's chief financial officer. "Our partnership with Campus Insiders will bring live streaming video of college sports directly to the people who are already talking about it on Twitter, all on a single screen."

"Streaming live games directly on Twitter is a natural evolution of the fan experience," said Brooks Boyer, CEO of Silver Chalice, the parent company of Campus Insiders. "Unlike traditional broadcast and cable networks, Campus Insiders is set up perfectly to adapt to the evolving media landscape, and we are thrilled to be able to demonstrate this groundbreaking opportunity for our Conference partners, the student athletes we cover and the millions of fans with a passion for college sports."
01-30-2017 08:33 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2017 08:33 PM)p23570 Wrote:  
(01-30-2017 04:20 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

You sure about that? This seems to indicate otherwise.

http://www.themw.com/news/mwfb-16-campusinsiders-sked
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The Mountain West Network on Campus Insiders announced today its broadcast schedule for the 2016 football season. The network will broadcast a total of seven games exclusively online beginning with a twin-bill on Thursday, Sept. 1 featuring Utah State hosting Weber State at 6 p.m. MT and UNLV taking on Jackson State in Las Vegas at 7 p.m. PT.

Due to a change in the Mountain West television schedule, the Tulsa at Fresno State contest on Saturday, Sept. 24 originally slated for a 7:30 p.m. PT kickoff on CBS Sports Network, has moved to 1:30 p.m. PT and will be showcased on the Mountain West Network on Campus Insiders.

The MWN and Campus Insiders will also feature a variety of Mountain West-related news, analysis and highlights throughout the entire 2016 season.

"Campus Insides once again is thrilled to be able to partner with the Mountain West on this slate of college football broadcasts." said Crowley Sullivan, Executive Vice President and General Manager, Campus Insiders. "The ability to provide our fans with big-time college football broadcasts on a variety of platforms allows us to continue to showcase the Mountain West and all of its student-athletes in the way that they deserve."

The complete listing of the seven MW football contests that will be streamed live and exclusively on the Mountain West Network and CampusInsiders.com are as follows:

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/...02606.html
Twitter Announces Partnership With Campus Insiders To Livestream College Games
Over 300 live college events from the Mountain West Conference, Patriot League and West Coast Conference, included as part of agreement
SAN FRANCISCO and CHICAGO, July 22, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Twitter today announced a new digital media rights partnership with Campus Insiders, highlighted by the live streaming of more than 300 college sports events.

"Twitter is the fastest way to see what's happening in sports," said Anthony Noto, Twitter's chief financial officer. "Our partnership with Campus Insiders will bring live streaming video of college sports directly to the people who are already talking about it on Twitter, all on a single screen."

"Streaming live games directly on Twitter is a natural evolution of the fan experience," said Brooks Boyer, CEO of Silver Chalice, the parent company of Campus Insiders. "Unlike traditional broadcast and cable networks, Campus Insiders is set up perfectly to adapt to the evolving media landscape, and we are thrilled to be able to demonstrate this groundbreaking opportunity for our Conference partners, the student athletes we cover and the millions of fans with a passion for college sports."

Yes I'm sure. They produce some games but don't run the network. They get the mw news from the mw studio which is available to anyone to share.
http://www.themw.com/page/watch-live

http://www.themw.com/videos
01-30-2017 09:32 PM
p23570
Unregistered

CrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
You and I simply have a different interpretation of the articles I guess. I read it as Campus Insiders controls the MWN content. That is why they are making deals with Twitter to air MW football games and not the Mountain West conference making deals with Twitter.

Did some more searching and this confirms what I suspected was the case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_Insiders

Programming[edit]
Campus Insiders has deals to stream events from the Mountain West Conference, the Patriot League, the West Coast Conference, and the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association, streaming a total of over 3000 events per-season.[4] Campus Insiders operates branded digital networks for each of its partner conferences (such as the Mountain West Network, Patriot League Network, and TheW.tv). The service also partnered with Sling TV and Twitter to distribute their broadcasts via their respective services[5][6] Campus Insiders previously produced content for the Atlantic 10 Conference and the University of Oregon.

In 2016, Campus Insiders acquired digital rights to the newly-established Arizona Bowl, which was streamed online in simulcast with American Sports Network's television broadcast, and with exclusive online pre-game, halftime, and post-game shows produced by 120 Sports.[7][2][8]
01-30-2017 10:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.