Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poinsettia Bowl goes bust
Rube Dali Online
2nd String

I Root For: UST, BSU, Minn
Poinsettia Bowl goes bust
And there's a chance the Holiday Bowl may end up, temporarily, at Petco Park if QUALCOMM gets blown up for the new Aztec stadium
01-25-2017 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

dbackjon Online
All American

I Root For: NAU/Illini
RE: Poinsettia Bowl goes bust
So will the NCAA allow a Bowl to take it's place?
01-25-2017 02:04 PM
MWC Tex Offline
All American

I Root For: MW
Wow, that's news. Sucks when you are the second tier bowl to a upper tier one.

I see the Holiday is looking to the Padres baseball stadium when Qualcomm gets the axe. There will be another bowl in SD once the new MLS/SDSU stadium gets completed and will have a bowl that is its own product not some other bowl.
01-25-2017 02:06 PM
MWC Tex Offline
All American

Surprisingly the Potato survive because it not under control of another bowl.
01-25-2017 02:12 PM

Wedge Offline
There will be no extra point.

I Root For: California
They are considering a permanent move of the Holiday Bowl to Petco Park.

Quote:The Padres have already started talking to the architectural firm that designed Petco Park about what would be required to allow football to be played in the stadium.

There was an article about this here. As you can see in the photo, the most likely remodel would be removing the field-level seats along the right field wall so that a football field could be placed from right field toward the third base line. Presumably the Padres would then use removable or retractable seating in right field where those field level seats are now.

As for adding a new bowl somewhere... last year, the NCAA placed a three-year moratorium on new bowls, meaning no new bowls for the 2016, 2017, or 2018 seasons.

This is an opportunity for the Arizona Bowl to get out of TV oblivion and into the ESPN time slot previously given to the Poinsettia Bowl, if the Arizona Bowl operators are alert enough to take advantage.
01-25-2017 02:19 PM
MWC Tex Offline
All American

(01-25-2017 02:19 PM)Wedge Wrote:  They are considering a permanent move of the Holiday Bowl to Petco Park.

Quote:The Padres have already started talking to the architectural firm that designed Petco Park about what would be required to allow football to be played in the stadium.

There was an article about this here. As you can see in the photo, the most likely remodel would be removing the field-level seats along the right field wall so that a football field could be placed from right field toward the third base line. Presumably the Padres would then use removable or retractable seating in right field where those field level seats are now.

As for adding a new bowl somewhere... last year, the NCAA placed a three-year moratorium on new bowls, meaning no new bowls for the 2016, 2017, or 2018 seasons.

This is an opportunity for the Arizona Bowl to get out of TV oblivion and into the ESPN time slot previously given to the Poinsettia Bowl, if the Arizona Bowl operators are alert enough to take advantage.

Arizona Bowl would be wise not to be under the ESPN time slots. I like having a OTA broadcast and a post-Christmas date....one the ESPN would not allow.
01-25-2017 02:23 PM
MWC Tex Offline
All American

This is what happens when the lower bowl is owned by a larger one.

I could probably see the New Orleans bowl getting dropped by the Sugar Bowl eventually, although they are a major bowl. Can't think of any other bowls (mid-tier ones) that have another bowl ran by the same organization. I know the Cactus Bowl is ran by the Fiesta Bowl but being they are a major bowl also...may not need to focus solely like the Holiday needs to.
01-25-2017 02:28 PM

Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
Hmmmm. Didn't see that one coming.

Reduces the number of 5-7 teams making bowl games (there's honestly no need to replace this game from the POV of guaranteeing all Bowl eligible teams actually go Bowling). But this is a blow for the Mountain West Conference, this was a good Bowl game for them in a good spot.
01-25-2017 02:28 PM
MWC Tex Offline
All American

Statement from the Craig Thompson.

https://twitter.com/MountainWest
01-25-2017 02:31 PM
dbackjon Online
All American

I Root For: NAU/Illini
BYU is the final Champion

All time Poinsettia Bowl wins:

TCU - 3
Utah - 2
BYU - 2
Navy - 2
Boise State - 1
SDSU - 1
Utah State - 1
01-25-2017 02:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.