Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New QB Coach
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Rice
New QB Coach
From Football Scoop-

Rice: Wes Beschorner, who worked in an offensive quality control role at Pitt last season after a decade coaching at South Dakota, is joining the Rice staff as quarterbacks coach, per source.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 12:44 PM by ExcitedOwl18.)
01-24-2017 12:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

RE: New QB Coach
01-24-2017 12:45 PM
mrbig Offline
Heisman

Interesting. Fairly young. Seems mostly off-the-radar since he spent a huge chunk of his early coaching years at his alma mater. Wonder how much he was in charge of QB's at South Dakota? Seems like he wasn't even initially a QB when he arrived there, then went on to set a bunch of records as a QB before he graduated.

Change was needed and I hope he can really help Rice QB's develop.
01-24-2017 02:13 PM
ChicagoOwl (BS '07) Offline
1st String

I Root For: YOU!
at this point any change is good change
01-24-2017 02:30 PM
OldOwl Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rice Owls
Even though I dont care anymore until Baliff is gone, this is really strange. We are getting coaches from everywhere. I have a feeling Dr K is running the show now as a last resort before Bailiff is forced to retire next year.
(01-24-2017 02:30 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  at this point any change is good change
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 04:02 PM by OldOwl.)
01-24-2017 03:58 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
Here's a TV report/video showing Wes while he was still in the running to succeed the retiring USD coach (Joe Glenn): http://www.kdlt.com/2015/12/01/beschorne...tball-job/

Wes left his alma mater after it hired Bob Nielson, a veteran coach from Western Illinois, increasing his salary from $205K to $255K. (Glenn had been making $145K.) Wes was said to have been making $68K as USD's associate head coach/offensive coordinator.

Rivals subscribers can catch what Pitt fans are saying here: https://pittsburgh.forums.rivals.com/thr...er.106859/
01-24-2017 03:59 PM
Advertisement

Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The Parliament AwardsCrappiesNew Orleans Bowl
(01-24-2017 03:58 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  Even though I dont care anymore until Baliff is gone, this is really strange. We are getting coaches from everywhere. I have a feeling Dr K is running the show now as a last resort before Bailiff is forced to retire next year.
(01-24-2017 02:30 PM)ChicagoOwl (BS 07) Wrote:  at this point any change is good change

I actually don't think it's unusual to be getting coaches from a variety of sources when you're trying to fill 2 or 3 positions and they are on different sides of the ball.

That's a different scenario then when a new coach is hired and may be bringing large groups of staff from a prior job.

When our assistants have been hired away at different times in the past 10 years, it has generally been 1 at a time.

Given our budget for assistants (while it may be improving) is not that of a P5 school, it doesn't surprise me that some of our hires may not be household names or come from programs with bigger budgets for assistants than we might have.
01-24-2017 06:36 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-24-2017 06:36 PM)Rick Gerlach Wrote:  
(01-24-2017 03:58 PM)OldOwl Wrote:  Even though I dont care anymore until Baliff is gone, this is really strange. We are getting coaches from everywhere. I have a feeling Dr K is running the show now as a last resort before Bailiff is forced to retire next year.

I actually don't think it's unusual to be getting coaches from a variety of sources when you're trying to fill 2 or 3 positions and they are on different sides of the ball.

That's a different scenario then when a new coach is hired and may be bringing large groups of staff from a prior job.

When our assistants have been hired away at different times in the past 10 years, it has generally been 1 at a time.

Given our budget for assistants (while it may be improving) is not that of a P5 school, it doesn't surprise me that some of our hires may not be household names or come from programs with bigger budgets for assistants than we might have.

Save for 2 things, Rick-- almost ALL of DB's previous hires are former Texas-based coaching collegues of his, and most are well on in age. These recent staff additions certainly give the impression that outside intervention has influenced these hires.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 06:39 PM by waltgreenberg.)
01-24-2017 06:39 PM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-24-2017 06:39 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Save for 2 things, Rick-- almost ALL of DB's previous hires are former Texas-based coaching collegues of his, and most are well on in age. These recent staff additions certainly give the impression that outside intervention has influenced these hires.

Well, I don't doubt David was told he needed to turn over staff this off-season. So that level of outside intervention I'm sure we agree upon. It may have also been suggested that he look at younger staff (may be even for budget purposes) as well.

I still think the hiring decisions are being made by DB.

The fact that they are not 'old colleagues' is probably due more to the fact that the people he's hired in the past, particularly the good ones(and I think recent articles on Herman and the staff DB brought in acknowledge there were a number of them) have moved on to other pursuits, and in some cases much better pay, or have retired. At some point every coach gets to start with new, younger assistants.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 06:49 PM by Rick Gerlach.)
01-24-2017 06:49 PM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

(01-24-2017 06:39 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Both Stewart and Vestal are "Texas-based." Agreed that this guy is a bit out of left field, but Lynch, Steward, and Sloan aren't really Texas guys either.
01-24-2017 08:25 PM
Barney Offline
All American

During the course of the past couple of years here, with the massive volume of commentary about Bailiff -- his strong points and his weak points -- it's been observed that this current situation could make sense. That is, retain Bailiff as CEO for all the good reasons, but start fresh across the board otherwise, with young, energetic coordinators and recruiters. It's just a bit strange to see much of an entire staff cobbled together, seemingly at the last minute through speed-dating. They'll be strangers to each other. Will be interesting to observe, though shaping up to be a tough year.
01-24-2017 10:09 PM
Advertisement

austinowl73 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice, the Phils

New Orleans Bowl
Thank you for not caring. Please keep your thoughts to yourself until you return to the caring. Sorry for the snark but this is tiresome. Pm me if you want to discuss.
01-25-2017 12:02 AM
Rick Gerlach Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-25-2017 12:02 AM)austinowl73 Wrote:  
Thank you for not caring. Please keep your thoughts to yourself until you return to the caring. Sorry for the snark but this is tiresome. Pm me if you want to discuss.

Gotta say that with the new coaches, new defense (likely) and the unknowns (i.e. the players and their development), I'm actually a little intrigued about next fall.

I realize I'm probably in the distinct minority, and I would've gone to every game that didn't create a family conflict anyway (kids competitions). . . . . . . but there's enough different that I'm curious.
01-25-2017 01:03 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
I wonder how much of the Sydney guarantee went to increase assistant coaches' salaries so we could upgrade.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 07:23 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
01-25-2017 07:22 AM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-25-2017 07:22 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  I wonder how much of the Sydney guarantee went to increase assistant coaches' salaries so we could upgrade.

Have we received official, public word yet from our Athletic Department regarding the Sydney game yet? I don't think so. It's really insane and troubling.
01-25-2017 09:01 AM
ExcitedOwl18 Online
Heisman

In fairness to AD, I think it's the NCAA that is slowing the process up.
01-25-2017 09:08 AM
Advertisement

waltgreenberg Online
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(01-25-2017 09:08 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  In fairness to AD, I think it's the NCAA that is slowing the process up.

??? You would think that if ESPN goes public with the story (as they did over a month ago), the AD would at least come out with some type of statement to the donor community, even if just an update on the status (or a confirmation or denial of the widespread rumor). No? Stanford informed their donor community two months ago, immediately after the Rice game.
01-25-2017 09:18 AM
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

New Orleans Bowl
There does seem to be a marked change in hiring pattern this year compared to previous hires. I see three potential reasons (listing in order of what I think is likely):
  • Higher salaries offered in the budget
  • Closer involvement from the AD
  • Internal motivation by Bailiff to change the way he's done things in the past

Suppose the AD wanted to make a change after the season but was overruled by some combination of donors, BOT, or Lovett Hall. If it was donors, I think that kind of voice would come with a price tag, and the tag may have been "pay for better coordinators". If BOT intervened to say Rice couldn't afford both a buyout and higher salary for a new coach given current revenues, then the response may be - spend for new OCs if you want better revenue. Otherwise, the pressure from the AD may have been on Bailiff that he needs to make changes that show promise of improving results if he wants to continue on as HC. This is all pure conjecture, but I that's why it seems likely that they've upped the salaries and that the AD is probably more involved this year than in the past.
01-25-2017 10:35 AM
cr11owl Offline
All American

(01-25-2017 09:18 AM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(01-25-2017 09:08 AM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  In fairness to AD, I think it's the NCAA that is slowing the process up.

??? You would think that if ESPN goes public with the story (as they did over a month ago), the AD would at least come out with some type of statement to the donor community, even if just an update on the status (or a confirmation or denial of the widespread rumor). No? Stanford informed their donor community two months ago, immediately after the Rice game.

How many threads can we dig up where people jumped all over previous ADs for making announcements that never came through...

I'm sure we will get a statement when/if the NCAA approves it.
01-25-2017 11:13 AM
Kayjay Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Owls
If this hire is true, I like the fact that he spent time learning last year from Pat Narduzzi and Matt Canada, the head coach and offensive coordinator at Pitt.
01-25-2017 11:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.