Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Navy's TV Contract
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
Exclamation Navy's TV Contract
When does Navy's tv contract end? 2018? The same year the rest of us end in 2020? Thanks
Cheers!
01-23-2017 10:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

72Tiger Offline
Up your nose with a rubber hose

I Root For: Larry
DonatorsDonatorsDonators
RE: Navy's TV Contract
Navy's contract runs thru the 2017 FB season, but also includes the home game against Notre Dame in 2018 if CBS wants to air it.
01-24-2017 04:52 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
Going to be sweet to include them in the contract.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 09:13 PM by KNIGHTTIME.)
01-24-2017 07:55 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(01-24-2017 04:52 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  Navy's contract runs thru the 2017 FB season, but also includes the home game against Notre Dame in 2018 if CBS wants to air it.

Thanks. So does Navy become a part of the AAC tv contract in 2018? How does that work as there is a 2 year gap between the end of Navy's current tv contract and the AAC's contract? I remember how angry Navy was when Boise asked for a special deal so I'm assuming Navy will share 100% equally with the rest of the AAC so as not to be hypocritical.
Cheers!
01-24-2017 07:57 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(01-24-2017 07:55 PM)KNIGHTTIME Wrote:  Going to be sweet to to include then in the contract.

I agree, I want to know the details!
Cheers!
01-24-2017 07:58 PM
pesik Offline
Legend

I Root For: Houston
(01-24-2017 07:57 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(01-24-2017 04:52 PM)72Tiger Wrote:  Navy's contract runs thru the 2017 FB season, but also includes the home game against Notre Dame in 2018 if CBS wants to air it.

Thanks. So does Navy become a part of the AAC tv contract in 2018? How does that work as there is a 2 year gap between the end of Navy's current tv contract and the AAC's contract? I remember how angry Navy was when Boise asked for a special deal so I'm assuming Navy will share 100% equally with the rest of the AAC so as not to be hypocritical.
Cheers!

this was the original plan from the get go, the moment our deal was signed, aresco never intended for it to reach 2020, he was vocal that he only wanted a 3 year deal...but the tv companies wanted longer

when navy deal becomes free we are going to use that to trigger a renegotiation with espn..

according to aresco the plan is keep the coverage the exact same (but add games for navy), but dramatically increase our pay and sign long term

and navy will share equally as long as it is more than they reportedly make now (which is rumored between 4-5million)..if its less than that, navy will get the exact worth of their current indy deal first then the rest will be divided equally..but according to aresco and navy ad they dont think that will hapn
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017 08:16 PM by pesik.)
01-24-2017 08:15 PM
Advertisement

slhNavy91 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Navy
Navy inventory starting September '18 is Aresco 's best hook to start REnegotiating now.
And if that isn't working out well, then that limited inventory on the open market will provide a nice marker for value of the negotiation of the full package.
01-24-2017 08:27 PM
Chappy Offline
Resident Goonie

I Root For: ECU
Bring Navy football & Wichita State other sports and start renegotiating.
01-25-2017 08:29 AM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-25-2017 08:29 AM)Chappy Wrote:  Bring Navy football & Wichita State other sports and start renegotiating.

I think that may well be the idea. W state is a cheap add, but increases BB value and content. Navy is the giant in the negotiation room. If he can extend the deal, at more than Navy gets now, it is huge for all involved.
01-25-2017 09:43 AM
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
(01-24-2017 08:15 PM)pesik Wrote:  

Cheers!

this was the original plan from the get go, the moment our deal was signed, aresco never intended for it to reach 2020, he was vocal that he only wanted a 3 year deal...but the tv companies wanted longer

when navy deal becomes free we are going to use that to trigger a renegotiation with espn..

according to aresco the plan is keep the coverage the exact same (but add games for navy), but dramatically increase our pay and sign long term

and navy will share equally as long as it is more than they reportedly make now (which is rumored between 4-5million)..if its less than that, navy will get the exact worth of their current indy deal first then the rest will be divided equally..but according to aresco and navy ad they dont think that will hapn

Just trying to be clear, is there an opt-out for the AAC when Navy joins? Is ESPN suppose to provide the same pay out or increase it so Navy gets the same share? Does the AAC have the right of first refusal after six years or is the AAC on the open market? Seems the above would be needed to get ESPN to renegotiate before 2019.

Remember, the are on the hook for the ACC Network going to TV or Streaming Services like Sling about the same time. Also, I believe 2023 is when B10 is up for Bid again.

As I stated before, I think NBC and the AAC are a perfect match. Also, that could get the Miami Bowl on NBC, it would move to post-Christmas. As long as they are with ESPN, they will be treated as a 2nd fiddle. Personally, I think ESPN got the exposure for the AAC but another Network can take them to where they want to be.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 12:58 PM by msm96wolf.)
01-25-2017 12:58 PM
PT_american Offline
1st String

I Root For: American
(01-25-2017 12:58 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Cheers!

Just trying to be clear, is there an opt-out for the AAC when Navy joins? Is ESPN suppose to provide the same pay out or increase it so Navy gets the same share? Does the AAC have the right of first refusal after six years or is the AAC on the open market? Seems the above would be needed to get ESPN to renegotiate before 2019.

Remember, the are on the hook for the ACC Network going to TV or Streaming Services like Sling about the same time. Also, I believe 2023 is when B10 is up for Bid again.

As I stated before, I think NBC and the AAC are a perfect match. Also, that could get the Miami Bowl on NBC, it would move to post-Christmas. As long as they are with ESPN, they will be treated as a 2nd fiddle. Personally, I think ESPN got the exposure for the AAC but another Network can take them to where they want to be.

I recall seeing different things saying there was a look in but then later quotes from Aresco seemed to imply there wasn't. So I have no idea.

I agree if there is a negotiation as a result of Navy's media rights coming on board it might be a good time to see what the deal could be with Wichita St as well. You can't tell me Memphis, UConn, Cin, Temple, SMU vs Wichita St wouldn't be strong inventory to add. I just don't think anyone knows the exact deal the league signed.

I think the rights should be split and 3rd tier should be retained. Like if ESPN wants to take 1/3 of what they get today for the same amount and then the league can add revenue selling the rest that might work. I do agree NBC would be great if you could get a guaranteed number of games on NBC and potentially weekly shows on NBC Sports. I honestly think NBC Sports does a very good job with everything they cover.
01-25-2017 01:30 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(01-25-2017 12:58 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

Cheers!

To be clear---ESPN has never had the right of first refusal. They simply had the right for an opportunity to match prior to the AAC signing a new deal. Basically, they get the last swing at the pinata.

Thats much different from the right of first refusal in that the AAC could still move to NBC despite the ESPN match---but given ESPN is a much stronger platform than NBC-Sports, why would you go with NBC if the money was the same? The right to an opportunity to match is a huge advantage in negotiating these deals.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 01:49 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-25-2017 01:47 PM
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
I seem to remember Aresco saying there is no official look in. That does not mean it can't happen, just that it is ESPN's choice alone. I could see them looking in to keep us locked in with them. Then again with $$$issue at hand, I could see he value for both sides in extending and locking it in for longer
01-25-2017 01:48 PM
KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
(01-25-2017 01:48 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  I seem to remember Aresco saying there is no official look in. That does not mean it can't happen, just that it is ESPN's choice alone. I could see them looking in to keep us locked in with them. Then again with $$$issue at hand, I could see he value for both sides in extending and locking it in for longer

Espn only negotiates early if they feel a risk of us going on the open market later. I can't see them offering a huge increase now to lock us in. We need to wait until the contact is almost finished.
01-25-2017 02:05 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-25-2017 01:48 PM)goodknightfl Wrote:  I seem to remember Aresco saying there is no official look in. That does not mean it can't happen, just that it is ESPN's choice alone. I could see them looking in to keep us locked in with them. Then again with $$$issue at hand, I could see he value for both sides in extending and locking it in for longer

There is no look in. But its just a contract. If both parties wish to do an early extension, then they can. I happen to think we are in a period where there would appear to be sufficient motivation on both sides to do just that.
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017 05:50 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-25-2017 02:06 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

If there is no "look in", then ESPN would get to add Navy's 12 games to their inventory without boosting the AAC money for 2018 and 2019? That can't be right. (6 Navy home games per year in 2018 and 2019) maybe Navy just takes a 2 year extension with CBS-SN for those 2 years and splits the money with the other 11 schools of the AAC?
Cheers!
01-25-2017 02:08 PM
Advertisement

Phil Lacio Offline
Banned

I Root For: Ghetto State U.
(01-25-2017 02:08 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  

If there is no "look in", then ESPN would get to add Navy's 12 games to their inventory without boosting the AAC money for 2018 and 2019? That can't be right. (6 Navy home games per year in 2018 and 2019) maybe Navy just takes a 2 year extension with CBS-SN for those 2 years and splits the money with the other 11 schools of the AAC?
Cheers!

No more crack for you.
01-25-2017 02:14 PM
NavyHusker Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Navy
I could be wrong, but I thought there was a Army-Navy clause where that game was jointly owned Army & Navy and not a part of the AAC TV contract?
01-25-2017 03:21 PM
Pony94 Offline

I Root For: SMU
(01-25-2017 03:21 PM)NavyHusker Wrote:  I could be wrong, but I thought there was a Army-Navy clause where that game was jointly owned Army & Navy and not a part of the AAC TV contract?

Can't Navy subordinate their 50% of the game to the AAC deal if it makes sense?
01-25-2017 03:27 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
I am pretty sure the Army-Navy game is it's own property, contracted through CBS, and the AAC has no claim on it.
01-25-2017 04:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.