Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"We don't recruit for the internet"-Cronin
Bookmark and Share
BearcatnKY Offline
Bearcat Baller

I Root For: UC luck, ONCE.
Cronin on Jon Rothstein podcast.

"We don’t recruit for the internet,” Cronin said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “You’ve got to cut to the chase and find out who you can get and who you can’t get. We don’t recruit guys to say ‘hey, we got a visit’ or that ‘we’re involved with this guy’ or ‘we’re involved with that guy’. We just focus on winning games. We don’t try to win the message boards.”

Starts at the 5 minute mark. Talks about BigEast fallout, OOC scheduling, basketball in the Tri-State, coaching Caupain on his aggressiveness, wishes we had attendance for all the games not just X.

http://www.fanragsports.com/cbb/cronin-d...-internet/

(This post was last modified: 01-23-2017 02:49 PM by BearcatnKY.)
01-23-2017 02:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
RE: "We don't recruit for the internet"-Cronin
Going from your summary comment (I didn't listen to the podcast) I commend Mick for this. I believe he's recruited players who are willing to do it his way: on and off the court and in the classroom. His long rebuilding process on this foundation is now yielding some pretty gifted players. We all know there are four and five star knuckleheads out there he could entice but who might be uncoachable and unwilling to take care of business academically. Staying ranked and in the NCAA tournament annually helps him build upon this.

01-23-2017 02:56 PM
QSECOFR Offline
Heisman

I Root For: CCM
Mick is smarter than most give him credit for.

01-23-2017 03:26 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
This has always been Mick's position and not the first time he has said it publicly. Find out who you have a legit chance with early and then don't waste a second of time with those that you don't.

Probably good dating advice as well.

01-23-2017 03:32 PM
Bruce Monnin Offline
Hall of Famer

>wishes we had attendance for all the games not just X

?

I think we average more per game than Tulane's total attendance for the season going into the UC game.

01-23-2017 03:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
gerhard911 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats!
As for Mick wishing for better attendance, it's quite simple (but not necessarily easy). Play better teams in the OOC and put a better offensive effort on the court.

01-23-2017 03:57 PM
Advertisement

Banter Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(01-23-2017 03:49 PM)Bruce Monnin Wrote:  >wishes we had attendance for all the games not just X

?

I think we average more per game than Tulane's total attendance for the season going into the UC game.

I'd love for the stadium to be packed for every game, but the last 4 games have had attendances between 10,328-11,344. Those are pretty good numbers considering the upper level of the arena is an awful place to see the game.

The renovation may reduce our capacity, but too many bad seats inflate our capacity as is.

01-23-2017 04:03 PM
ucbrownsfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UC
(01-23-2017 02:42 PM)BearcatnKY Wrote:  Cronin on Jon Rothstein podcast.

"We don’t recruit for the internet,” Cronin said Monday on the College Hoops Today Podcast. “You’ve got to cut to the chase and find out who you can get and who you can’t get. We don’t recruit guys to say ‘hey, we got a visit’ or that ‘we’re involved with this guy’ or ‘we’re involved with that guy’. We just focus on winning games. We don’t try to win the message boards.”

Starts at the 5 minute mark. Talks about BigEast fallout, OOC scheduling, basketball in the Tri-State, coaching Caupain on his aggressiveness, wishes we had attendance for all the games not just X.

Too many ads at the shoe is a small problem. And not enough success, whether he likes it or not the program's luster has fallen since he took over - we're now 50 years instead of 40 from our national championship, and 25 years instead of 15 from our final four. He did a fine job rebuilding from where he got it, but our historical legacy hasn't gotten better. Packed houses take excitement - and even this season there's not enough excitement, too many shot clock violations against mid major programs.

01-23-2017 04:21 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
I think the attendance this year has been good. The out of conference schedule was dreadful so it hurt the interest in the team, but now that they've gone on a run it's 10k plus which in today's age is very good. That place has been loud, and i suspect it will be very loud thursday.

01-23-2017 04:24 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
That said, hopefully Mick inks another pg for the 2017 class unless he's confident in a 2018 stud. With Broome and Jenifer both gone after the 18/19 year we need to start grooming someone next year. It's all relative to whom you can get, but pg is a priority for obvious reasons. It was Huggin's biggest weakness during his times here.

01-23-2017 04:26 PM
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(01-23-2017 03:57 PM)gerhard911 Wrote:  As for Mick wishing for better attendance, it's quite simple (but not necessarily easy). Play better teams in the OOC and put a better offensive effort on the court.

Or, stated another way, fans don't buy tickets for the coach?

01-23-2017 04:29 PM
Advertisement

payday Offline
All American

I Root For: Bearcats!
(01-23-2017 04:21 PM)ucbrownsfan Wrote:  

Too many ads at the shoe is a small problem. And not enough success, whether he likes it or not the program's luster has fallen since he took over - we're now 50 years instead of 40 from our national championship, and 25 years instead of 15 from our final four. He did a fine job rebuilding from where he got it, but our historical legacy hasn't gotten better. Packed houses take excitement - and even this season there's not enough excitement, too many shot clock violations against mid major programs.

That's a crock. He took over a team of walk ons and JUCOs. And now they're a perennial NCAA team who more often then not now are ranked among the Top 25.

01-23-2017 04:35 PM
BearcatMan Online
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(01-23-2017 04:26 PM)dsquare Wrote:  That said, hopefully Mick inks another pg for the 2017 class unless he's confident in a 2018 stud. With Broome and Jenifer both gone after the 18/19 year we need to start grooming someone next year. It's all relative to whom you can get, but pg is a priority for obvious reasons. It was Huggin's biggest weakness during his times here.

You didn't like Jihad Muhammad?! 03-lmfao

01-23-2017 04:36 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
The early OOC schedule is what hurts UC's attendance.

UC is actually drawing well for even the lower level AAC teams.

01-23-2017 04:47 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2017 04:24 PM)dsquare Wrote:  I think the attendance this year has been good. The out of conference schedule was dreadful so it hurt the interest in the team, but now that they've gone on a run it's 10k plus which in today's age is very good. That place has been loud, and i suspect it will be very loud thursday.

2015 home games with Iowa State and Butler were at or near capacity as I recall. Take those out of the mix this season and the average takes a hit. Then Michigan pulls their stunt and backs out of the game and UC was left with decent, but not headliner home opponents pre-conference. Win Thursday night and the seats fill up fast the rest of the way.

This is not a "new" problem; Huggins complained about attendance late in his career here and if I'm not mistaken the "Shoe" only sold out for the season before the opener one time. More comfortable chairback seats with better viewing angles will help assure more sellouts starting in 2018.

01-23-2017 04:54 PM
BeerCat Offline
Terminally Chill

I Root For: Who's playin uk
I'll have to listen tonight. But if he really hitched about attendance I'll laugh my ass off. Isn't he the one who always says that offense is for family or something stupid like that. It's really funny that I read this today because earlier today a coworker of mine that's a U.K. Fan but watches all sports commented on how hard it is for him to watch UC because "it's like how high school coaches coach". If mick wants better attendance then put a more entertaining product on the damn floor. What a joke. Oh and schedule better. There is no reason for all the god awful cupcakes anymore. Schedule better teams and coach more offense. Not that tough.

01-23-2017 05:39 PM
Advertisement

BearcatnKY Offline
Bearcat Baller

I Root For: UC luck, ONCE.
"This game is a huge game for the city. They get into it. I wished they'd get into it more year round, with the attendance."

01-23-2017 05:51 PM
bulldog23 Offline
Banned

I Root For: cincinnati
(01-23-2017 04:35 PM)payday Wrote:  

That's a crock. He took over a team of walk ons and JUCOs. And now they're a perennial NCAA team who more often then not now are ranked among the Top 25.
he cut half the team and told downey he wasnt wanted. Mick wanted all the TOP RANKED NY guys and abandoned OHIO like our EX football coach. Mick was getting highly ranked guys his few seasons from east coast that were garbage. Mick didnt change his recruiting philosophy until the Bledsoe/Teague drama. Till this day only 4 ohio guys in 11 years is TERRIBLE!!! Getting into tourney every year for MAJOR school like ours playing dumpster juice conference holds NO weight

01-23-2017 06:04 PM
bulldog23 Offline
Banned

I Root For: cincinnati
(01-23-2017 04:36 PM)BearcatMan Wrote:  
(01-23-2017 04:26 PM)dsquare Wrote:  That said, hopefully Mick inks another pg for the 2017 class unless he's confident in a 2018 stud. With Broome and Jenifer both gone after the 18/19 year we need to start grooming someone next year. It's all relative to whom you can get, but pg is a priority for obvious reasons. It was Huggin's biggest weakness during his times here.

You didn't like Jihad Muhammad?! 03-lmfao

remember PG that dribbled ball of his leg in shootout?

01-23-2017 06:06 PM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
(01-23-2017 06:04 PM)bulldog23 Wrote:  
(01-23-2017 04:35 PM)payday Wrote:  

he cut half the team and told downey he wasnt wanted. Mick wanted all the TOP RANKED NY guys and abandoned OHIO like our EX football coach. Mick was getting highly ranked guys his few seasons from east coast that were garbage. Mick didnt change his recruiting philosophy until the Bledsoe/Teague drama. Till this day only 4 ohio guys in 11 years is TERRIBLE!!! Getting into tourney every year for MAJOR school like ours playing dumpster juice conference holds NO weight

Plus, one of those four is the awful Kevin Johnson, whose awfulness you dedicated nearly an entire thread to earlier.

01-23-2017 06:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.