Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is anyone kicking themselves in the ass harder than Everett Withers is right now?
Bookmark and Share
bulldogg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Is anyone kicking themselves in the ass harder than Everett Withers is right now?
I think not.
01-18-2017 12:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: James Madison
Bulldogg I love your passion. Do we really need multiple Everett bashing threads? I personally am not missing him in the slightest and there's beautiful hardware in the trophy case distracting me from his two year memory.

Financially he's doubled (or nearly) his paycheck at tx state, while it lasts. I can't really blame him there.
His ego is doing fine because to him fbs is greater than Fcs. Even if it's fbs worst tx state compared to a national champion.

Really both he and JMU are better off now. Tx state is the one who got shafted in the scenario.
01-18-2017 07:22 AM
DoubleDogDare Online
All American

RE: Is anyone kicking themselves in the ass harder than Everett Withers is right now?
Yeah, probably that coach from Oregon whose workout hospitalized three players. Probably Vance Joseph who is having accusations from 13 years ago brought back up.

As for EW? No he is probably wondering what he is going to spend his next massive paycheck on. He knows he wouldn't have won the NC at JMU. He knows his stock would have dropped. He is high on a cloud right now that he is an FBS head coach.
01-18-2017 07:53 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

RE: Is anyone kicking themselves in the ass harder than Everett Withers is right now?
(01-18-2017 12:45 AM)bulldogg Wrote:  I think not.

I disagree. He knew the 2016 season was going to be a struggle and he went for the paycheck. I don't blame him a bit for striking while the iron was hot.
He didn't have the coaching ability to take this team to the playoffs, let alone a national championship. I'm sure he sees the decision as good for both parties: he got a paycheck, and JMU got a national championship. Everyone came out for the better.
If you think for just one second this team would have been what it was under the Withers era, you weren't paying attention.
01-18-2017 08:12 AM
HMK Offline
Special Teams

It worked out for the best for JMU and Withers; everyone is happy.
01-18-2017 08:23 AM
Dukie95 Offline
1st String

I Root For: all the Dukes
Actually, he's probably spinning JMU's NC as evidence of his ability to recruit.
01-18-2017 08:31 AM
Advertisement

91Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU/ND
First, I think he'd trade an FCS title for the pay raise he got any day of the week.

Second, if he was still here, no way we actually win it.

As folks said, win-win.

In his defense, I believe he was sold a bill of goods about us moving up when he came here, and I don't blame him one bit for leaving for a better paying gig. Any one of us would have done the same thing. He injected much-needed "juice" into the program, recruited well, and left the table set for Houston.

That said, he didn't have anywhere near the coaching staff around him that Houston was able to assemble. The improvement of our defense from just last year was astounding. No way EW's coaching staff would have taken us to Frisco. Just one of those rare cases where everybody gets what they want.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2017 08:37 AM by 91Alum.)
01-18-2017 08:36 AM
JMaddy Offline
All American

Let it go.

He did some really good things for JMU football, and more importantly he left before he did any bad things to the program (see one Alex Wood for an example of that). It is never easy being the first coach after a legend. He reenergized and modernized the program and allowed us to get to the point where a coach like Mike Houston could come in and shape the team into a juggernaut. His brief stint in Harrisonburg was good for JMU football, period. And now he's going to make more money over the course of his FBS stint than a lot of people make in a lifetime. I doubt winning the NC would have improved his payday much and he would be leaving this year in either case. His leaving when he did gives us a coach who plans to be here a long time. No need to be so sour over his contribution to the JMU history.
01-18-2017 08:38 AM
PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

Who cares. He got the juice he was looking for. JMU Nation got theirs too.
01-18-2017 09:09 AM
BSKB 24 Offline
All American

He is too arrogant to think he wouldn't have won the NC if he was here. He certainly believes in himself.
01-18-2017 09:27 AM
Dadgum Offline
1st String

I have no doubt that EW was lied to by Jeff Bourne and sold a bill of goods, when he realized JB was full of sh!t, he left on the first train out of town.

This is the one instance that I am thankful that JB is dishonest, Houston was a phenomenal hire and great get for our University.

Win-Win, Go Dukes!
01-18-2017 09:47 AM
Advertisement

PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

Maybe you're right and JB is a liar. But the athletic department has experienced amazing growth on his watch and won two national championships in football. Apparently there was ADs that suck a lot more than JB. Just sayin'
01-18-2017 09:58 AM
Dukes1825 Offline
Special Teams

For the love of Dukes football... move. on. Beyond tired of these threads
01-18-2017 11:05 AM
Flyrod Offline
Bench Warmer

(01-18-2017 11:05 AM)Dukes1825 Wrote:  For the love of Dukes football... move. on. Beyond tired of these threads

AMEN! +1 BILLION
01-18-2017 12:33 PM
JMUska Offline
Special Teams

(01-18-2017 12:33 PM)Flyrod Wrote:  
(01-18-2017 11:05 AM)Dukes1825 Wrote:  For the love of Dukes football... move. on. Beyond tired of these threads

AMEN! +1 BILLION

Multiply that by a billion more.
01-18-2017 12:52 PM
JMU_71 Offline
1st String

(01-18-2017 08:38 AM)JMaddy Wrote:  Let it go.

He did some really good things for JMU football, and more importantly he left before he did any bad things to the program (see one Alex Wood for an example of that).

The only difference between Withers and Alex Wood--and it's a big difference--Alex Wood didn't do anything good for the program. Everything he touched turned to sh!t. Withers did many good things. His tenure was the perfect amount of time, no more, no less.

Time to move on and be happy we got Houston before one of our rivals snatched him up.
01-18-2017 01:19 PM
Advertisement

PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

We've got Houston, and our opponents have a problem!
01-18-2017 01:22 PM
91Alum Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU/ND
(01-18-2017 01:22 PM)PhillyDuke Wrote:  We've got Houston, and our opponents have a problem!

Post of the day.
01-18-2017 01:56 PM
DirtyDukes Offline
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud!
Is anyone kicking themselves in the ass harder than Everett Withers is right ...
Apparently he's so mad he's resorted to belittling fans and stealing Milky Way bars- http://bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27032
01-18-2017 02:13 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-18-2017 02:13 PM)DirtyDukes Wrote:  Apparently he's so mad he's resorted to belittling fans and stealing Milky Way bars- http://bobcatfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27032

My favorite reply...

"holy hell. it's no wonder fake news stories spread like wildfire w/ all you gullible fools out there."
01-18-2017 02:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.