Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CAA News & Notes 1/16
Bookmark and Share
billymac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: William & Mary
CAA News & Notes 1/16
Here's some various news and notes from around the conference and on Thursday's opponent:

CAA CO-PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:

William Adala Moto • Towson
Sr., F, 6-7, 245 - Yaounde, Cameroon/Episcopal
Adala Moto averaged 18.0 points and 8.5 rebounds as Towson went 2-0 in CAA action last week. The senior forward shot 50% from the floor and made 16-of-18 at the free throw line in those two contests.

Chris Flemmings • UNCW
Sr., G, 6-5, 180 - Cary, N.C./Green Hope
Flemmings averaged 18.0 points, 4.5 rebounds, 2.5 assists and 2.5 steals as UNCW stayed unbeaten in CAA play at 6-0 with two wins last week. The senior guard shot 54.5% from the floor last week.

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK:

Grant Riller • College of Charleston
Fr., G, 6-3, 185 - Ocoee, Fla./Ocoee
Riller averaged 19.5 points and was Charleston’s leading scorer in a pair of victories last week that improved the Cougars to 6-0 in CAA play. The freshman guard shot 54.5% (12-22) from the floor, including 5-of-10 from 3-point range. He’s scored double figures in his past three contests.

CURRENT STANDINGS: UNCW and Charleston continue tied atop the League standings this week, at 6-0, with Northeastern a game back at 5-1. The top two teams will meet for the first time on Thursday night, as UNCW visits College of Charleston. The 7 p.m. game will be televised by ASN.

PILING UP WINS: UNCW’s 17 overall victories are tied for the second-most in the nation through Jan. 15. The Seahawks are tied with Villanova, Creighton, Gonzaga and New Mexico State, and trail only UCLA (18-1). Charleston’s seven-game winning streak is tied for the 7th-longest in the nation, while UNCW six-game win streak is tied for 16th. The CAA is one of only eight conferences to have two teams with at least 15 victories.

LATEST RPI NUMBERS: UNCW is ranked #31 in the latest RPI rankings released by Collegiate Basketball News (rpiratings.com). The Seahawks (17-2) have won 14 of their last 15 games, with the only loss coming on the road at ACC foe Clemson. College of Charleston (15-4) is #56 in the RPI and has won 12 of its last 13 contests, with the only setback coming on the road at SEC member LSU. Northeastern (12-6), which has won eight of its last nine games, is ranked #88. The Huskies have road wins at Michigan State, UConn, Vermont and Oakland. W&M, even after the two road losses, shows up at #114. Only nine other conferences (American, ACC, Atlantic 10, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Pac 12, SEC and Sun Belt) have three schools in the top 90 of the RPI.
The CAA is ranked #11 among the nation’s 32 Division I leagues this week.

W&M Disa & Data:

Omar Prewitt scoredd team-highs of 25 points and 8 rebounds at CofC and had 12 points and 6 boards at UNCW. It was his sixth 20-point effort of the season.

Jack Whitman scored a career-high 21 points on 9-of-12 FG shooting at UNCW. He shooting 64.8% from the floor for the season.

Daniel Dixon added 10 points at UNCW, which was his 9th straight game in double digits, but didn’t play at CofC due to the back injury. He’s averaging 24.4 ppg in his last 5 games.

Nathan Knight had 10 points and 4 rebounds at UNCW and 8 points at CofC. The 10 points were his most since Dec. 16.

Greg Malinowski hit three treys and contributed 12 points and a team-best 8 rebounds at CofC. He’s now shooting 44.3% from three.

JMU Tid Bits:

• The Dukes Split a pair of very close games last week, losing 53-51 to CofC, but winning 60-59 over Elon.

• 6’7” Sr. Guard Jackson Kent led the Dukes in scoring in both games last week, with 21 points vs. Elon and a team-best 14 points vs. CofC. He’s had 7 straight double-digit games and is averaging 18.2 ppg over that stretch. He is the only Duke averaging double figures on the season, at 13.2 ppg.

• 6’8” Sr. Forward Yohanny Dalembert posted his first double-double (15 pts/career-high 17 reb) vs. Elon and had 13 points and 6 boards vs. CofC. He’s averaging 14.7 ppg and 9.0 rpg over the past three games. He is the leading rebounder, at 5.8 rpg on the season.

• 6’0” Jr. Point Guard Joey Mclean is averaging 9.8 ppg and 2.7 assists per game so far this season.

• 6’8” Sr. Forward Paulius Satkus scored 12 points on 5-of-7 shooting vs. Elon. He’s averaging 12.0 ppg over his last seven games and is 34-of-49 (69.4%) from the floor over that stretch.

• JMU is allowing just 56.8 ppg in CAA play, which leads the league. The Dukes have held their past 8 opponents to 67 points or less, including four under 60 points. They are scoring 61.5 ppg in league games. They out rebound opponents by 6 boards a game.

NOTE: The Tribe is over the gigantic hump that was the worst schedule of any CAA team to start League play and still managed 2 wins. It should be a better ride from here. Consistency, on offense and defense, still need some serious attention for the correction to get off the ground. A good shooting night on Thursday wouldn't suck.
01-17-2017 01:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

zablenoise Offline
Heisman

RE: CAA News & Notes 1/16
Jackson Kent hasn't graduated yet?? I assume he's still pale and emaciated. He always looked like the ghost of a stick figure to me.
01-17-2017 02:59 PM
Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(01-17-2017 02:59 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  Jackson Kent hasn't graduated yet?? I assume he's still pale and emaciated. He always looked like the ghost of a stick figure to me.

He's never really looked like a D-I player, but it's very hard to argue with the numbers he's put up this year. Basically the best offensive threat on a defense-first team. Without Ron Curry they needed SOMEBODY to score and he's answered the bell, and is a huge reason they're 4-2.
(This post was last modified: 01-17-2017 03:34 PM by Seahawk Nation 08.)
01-17-2017 03:33 PM
zablenoise Offline
Heisman

(01-17-2017 03:33 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  He's never really looked like a D-I player, but it's very hard to argue with the numbers he's put up this year. Basically the best offensive threat on a defense-first team. Without Ron Curry they needed SOMEBODY to score and he's answered the bell, and is a huge reason they're 4-2.

Well then let's hope my comments don't haunt me.
01-17-2017 03:57 PM
Advertisement

Seahawk Nation 08 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
(01-17-2017 03:57 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  
(01-17-2017 03:33 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  He's never really looked like a D-I player, but it's very hard to argue with the numbers he's put up this year. Basically the best offensive threat on a defense-first team. Without Ron Curry they needed SOMEBODY to score and he's answered the bell, and is a huge reason they're 4-2.

Well then let's hope my comments don't haunt me.

[Image: daduntsh.gif]
01-17-2017 04:39 PM
WMTRIBE75 Offline
1st String

I Root For: WILLIAM & MARY
Two weeks ago Northeastern led Delaware by 40 points at halftime on the way to a 36 point victory, Tonight, Delaware beat Northeastern 69=62!!

God forbid if that had happened to us.
01-19-2017 11:14 PM
WMtribe17 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(01-19-2017 11:14 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  Two weeks ago Northeastern led Delaware by 40 points at halftime on the way to a 36 point victory, Tonight, Delaware beat Northeastern 69=62!!

God forbid if that had happened to us.

Northeastern, for whatever reason, has been awful on the road in CAA play. Should have lost to Drexel, lost to Towson, & lost to Delaware.

Somewhat strange because they did pretty well on the road out of conference
01-19-2017 11:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.