Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Reason for the Season (Secondary Transformation)
Bookmark and Share
Start_Wearing_Purple Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: JMU
The Reason for the Season (Secondary Transformation)
Somehow our secondary went from being the weak link of the 2015-2016 team to a shut down machine in 2016-2017. It is the biggest reason JMU hoisted the hardware.
Tripp Weaver, Bob Trott, I applaud you sirs. Epic Applause

In the age of back shoulder throws, it is so important for CB's to get their heads turned and find the ball at about 15 yds down field. Our CBs got good at this, and it made all the difference. They were able to cover both the back shoulder and the fly routes.

I can't understate the absolute turn around of this part of our D.
01-12-2017 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

South Main Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: The Reason for the Season (Secondary Transformation)
Jimmy Moreland became an absolute stud the 2nd half of the season, him and Reynolds could play man and shut everything down. I think this is why we dominated from Richmond on out..
01-12-2017 11:26 AM
JMad03 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
If there was a most improved award, our secondary would get it without question.
01-12-2017 12:18 PM
Flyrod Offline
Bench Warmer

I said this back after / during the NEW HAMPSHIRE GAME
"Lwflyrod Offline
Bench Warmer

Really proud of this team and equally excited for the rest of the season.
Coaching staff can fix the PLAY60 issue with the players and as I have said from the beginning hang on for the ride, its gonna be exciting!
do they have tough games ahead ? Of course. But nothing they cant overcome with the right mindset, DESIRE and willingness in this years Theme to "FIGHT for GLORY"!.
Coach and staff have done a Good Job and now its time tokeep tweaking the team week by week , game by game preparing for the excitement that lies ahead in November/December.
02-13-banana04-cheers"

Well THEY "Coaches/Staff/PLAYERS did exactly that. and Gave us a super season of excitement and ROOTIN that we all loved......THANK YOU !!! COACH, Coaches, Staff, Players, Support People etc and of course JMU NATION!
Will be a year I nor my daughter will ever forget!
COGS02-13-bananaCOGS04-cheers
01-13-2017 01:15 PM
Advertisement

RollDukes757 Offline
Bench Warmer

Oliver, Tutt, Moreland, and Robinson - all sophomores 05-nono
01-13-2017 01:26 PM
PurpleStreamers Offline
1st String

I Root For: Dukes
(01-13-2017 01:26 PM)RollDukes757 Wrote:  Oliver, Tutt, Moreland, and Robinson - all sophomores 05-nono

Not to mention Brown AND Green back, plus Robert Carter turned into an absolute beast on specials this year and it will be exciting to see him in the rotation at some point. Barring offseason "JT's" we should only get better on D even while losing Steele and Reynolds and missing Hereford half the season because we'll be able to keep playing man and turning the rush loose like we did since RU game.
01-13-2017 03:15 PM
RamDawg Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU VCU
(01-12-2017 12:18 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  If there was a most improved award, our secondary would get it without question.

YES! The first few games I was thinking that it would be 2015 all over gain, big plays because the corners don't know where that ball is. HUGE improvement this year. This group combined could be the best secondary in FCS.
01-13-2017 04:08 PM
Advertisement

jmuroadwarrior Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU albany
(01-13-2017 01:26 PM)RollDukes757 Wrote:  Oliver, Tutt, Moreland, and Robinson - all sophomores 05-nono

Withers did something right?
01-13-2017 04:12 PM
Smokey 1 Offline
2nd String

(01-13-2017 04:08 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(01-12-2017 12:18 PM)JMad03 Wrote:  If there was a most improved award, our secondary would get it without question.

YES! The first few games I was thinking that it would be 2015 all over gain, big plays because the corners don't know where that ball is. HUGE improvement this year. This group combined could be the best secondary in FCS.

This just goes to show the difference good coaching can make.
01-13-2017 04:13 PM
CarRamrod Offline
1st String

I think one of the reasons for our success down the stretch was the regular season game with UNH. It was a great wake up call to the team that no lead is too large against quality competition. After that game, we didn't stop playing until there were zeros on the clock. You could even see it in the Championship game. With a 21 point lead, some teams would have lost focus and allowed YSU to get back in the game, but we didn't. I think that UNH game was a huge teaching moment for the coaching staff. It's even nicer to have teachable moments and still win a ball game. We had a killer instinct after that game.
01-13-2017 04:32 PM
Advertisement

BSKB 24 Offline
All American

(01-13-2017 04:12 PM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  

Stop it! He did something right, alright. He went to Texas State. Sounds like a penitentiary.
01-14-2017 11:27 AM
JMUNation Offline
All American

Moreland was definitely a Mickey recruit. I though Tutt was as well. Withers really only had one full class of Freshman recruits as he basically stayed with most of the kids Mickey had already offered that first year. He brought in Vad and a couple other transfers but his first true class was his second year.
01-16-2017 10:09 AM
Dukester Offline

(01-13-2017 04:12 PM)jmuroadwarrior Wrote:  

Yes - Recruiting and grade focus. He just could not coach them. 04-cheers

That was the frustration with last year - there is no way in the world with the talent level of our defense we should of been one of the worst in FCS.

Speaking of defensive coaching - I wonder where our DC from last year went? Is he the DC at Texas State? Nice guy, just in way over his head.
01-16-2017 11:00 AM
Dukester Offline

(01-16-2017 10:09 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  Moreland was definitely a Mickey recruit. I though Tutt was as well. Withers really only had one full class of Freshman recruits as he basically stayed with most of the kids Mickey had already offered that first year. He brought in Vad and a couple other transfers but his first true class was his second year.

Tutt 2 start recruit from Centreville via a Withers. Jordan Brooks was a 3 start recruit from Centreville that year too. I went to watch the two in high school. Tutt stood out to me, but Brooks appeared pretty ordinary. Not sure Brooks played this year for whatever reason, but would of been a R-Fr

I thought Moreland was a Witther's recruit, but maybe not...
01-16-2017 11:13 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.