Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

With the Chargers moving to LA, does SDSU balloon in popularity?
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
With the Chargers moving to LA, does SDSU balloon in popularity?
And what becomes of Qualcomm?

I say SDSU remains virtually the same in support TBH.
01-12-2017 04:06 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
RE: With the Chargers moving to LA, does SDSU balloon in popularity?
San Diego will have an NFL team again, just not right away. Just a new NFL stadium in San Diego would need to be privately financed. I know the NFL likes to milk cities for as much public money as they can, but they made an exception for LA, and someday they will make an exception for San Diego too.

In the short term, there is a lot of potential in expanding the SDSU campus around Qualcom. SDSU will probably get a new stadium someday, but it will be an economical 40k stadium for $500M. Not a $2 billion monster like they are building in LA or Vegas.

It might help SDSU attendance a little with the Chargers moving, but if fans want to see an NFL game, the Chargers and Rams will be just 2 hours away in a state of the art stadium. NFL fans in San Diego may not get season tickets in LA, but they might still go to 1 or 2 games a year in LA. Maybe they will go 1 or 2 SDSU games too if they are doing well.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 04:32 AM by goofus.)
01-12-2017 04:26 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I say, unless the Chargers move back in 20 years, the NFL should leave that market alone. Explore new territory like San Antonio.
01-12-2017 04:38 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
If SDSU is winning maybe.
01-12-2017 06:20 AM
BearcatJerry Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
The Jack Murphy/Qualcomm site is going to be too valuable NOT to develop... The stadium will get torn down.

I don't know where SDSU is planning on playing, but I don't think it looks good.
01-12-2017 06:51 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

The rumor was always if the Chargers moved, SDSU would build a campus extension and an OCS on and near the site.
01-12-2017 06:58 AM
Advertisement

CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
San Diego won't get another NFL team unless they publicly finance a stadium, but Spanos poisoned that well and voters roundly rejected the notion. Mark "I drive a minivan" Davis is broke and the Raiders cannot afford to build a new stadium in Vegas or elsewhere without public giveaways and outside private investors so they aren't going to San Diego and I don't see another team moving west anytime soon. San Diego has seemed fine without an NBA team since the Rockets left, so I think they'll be a-ok assuaging the loss of their mediocre NFL team with unbeatable weather, fish tacos, pedestrian Padres baseball and world class beer.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 07:57 AM by CarlSmithCenter.)
01-12-2017 07:53 AM
quo vadis Online
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
No.
01-12-2017 08:03 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
I have no connection to San Diego or the Chargers but I am legitimately very saddened to hear this news.

I sincerely believe this is a mistake for all concerned. I think this is a mistake for the Chargers, it's a mistake for the NFL, and it's a mistake for the city of San Diego.

I understand that they just couldn't make the financing work but I think that was a mistake too. I think Spanos should've gotten a minority investor to help him build that stadium. I think the city of San Diego should not have taunted him like it did and I think the NFL should have kicked in more from its reserve fund to ensure that it got built.

The Rams are not yet fully reentrenched in Los Angeles and to haphazardly throw a second team into that mix so soon is just not a good idea for anyone.
01-12-2017 08:06 AM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
As for San Diego State, I think their attendance will increase. However, they won't "balloon" in popularity until their schedule warrants it.

Even though San Diego is no longer an NFL town it would still have that major-league mentality. This isn't meant to denigrate anyone but a steady diet of Mountain West Conference teams is not going to start to magically move the needle because I'm sure it is not seen in that marketplace as major college football.

However, somewhat ironically, this news probably would make that market more attractive to the PAC-12. If a steady diet of teams like USC, UCLA, Oregon, Arizona State, etc. started rolling into San Diego, they would likely sell out all the time.

Also, if the rumored campus extension and right-sized Stadium development happens on the site of the current QUALCOMM Stadium, that would make the Aztecs (which is one of the coolest names in college football) even more attractive as an expansion candidate.

I don't think this is something that's just around the corner from happening but I do think it's plausible down the road.
01-12-2017 08:15 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(01-12-2017 04:06 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  And what becomes of Qualcomm?

I say SDSU remains virtually the same in support TBH.

Support for Houston, Rice, USC and UCLA didn't balloon when the NFL left town. Don't think San Diego St. will be any different.

With a great marketing campaign and some winning maybe it can be, but the results in Houston and Los Angeles argue against it.
01-12-2017 08:58 AM
Advertisement

SDSUguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SDSU
Yesterday's announcement was absolutely huge for SDSU. Those SDSU fans that were not also fans of the Chargers have been openly rooting for this for years. It's a near certainty that SDSU takes over the site to meet the needs of the region to provide an affordable option to educate the masses in the face of of Californias crisis of lack of spaces for those who are eligible. San Diego's power players are behind SDSU taking over most if not all of the 166 acre site.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/busi...story.html

Here is an article by the most respected Chargers reporter urging the City to move forward with the plan when the Chargers announced their intentions to pursue a downtown side last year.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

SDSU is expecting the same 99-year lease offer for the site at $1 per year that was offered to the Chargers in December. SDSU, as an entity of the state, has the power of eminent domain if necessary but it won't come to that.

Attendance next year will likely increase 5-10k per game but it's the long term effect of this that will be the most dramatic. California isn't like other states and the regions are segmented and a perfect example of this is the extremely dislike many San Diegans have for LA sports teams. I'd estimate 90% of Charger fans will no longer follow the team in LA. This was not unexpected and the President of SDSU has commitments of $100m from boosters to build a smaller (30-40k seats) stadium on the northwest corner of the site which is shown in the first article referenced.

As someone who has literally been following this situation for 10 years believe me when I say this is a great day for SDSU.
01-12-2017 09:17 AM
PirateTreasureNC Online
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(01-12-2017 04:26 AM)goofus Wrote:  San Diego will have an NFL team again, just not right away. Just a new NFL stadium in San Diego would need to be privately financed. I know the NFL likes to milk cities for as much public money as they can, but they made an exception for LA, and someday they will make an exception for San Diego too.

In the short term, there is a lot of potential in expanding the SDSU campus around Qualcom. SDSU will probably get a new stadium someday, but it will be an economical 40k stadium for $500M. Not a $2 billion monster like they are building in LA or Vegas.

It might help SDSU attendance a little with the Chargers moving, but if fans want to see an NFL game, the Chargers and Rams will be just 2 hours away in a state of the art stadium. NFL fans in San Diego may not get season tickets in LA, but they might still go to 1 or 2 games a year in LA. Maybe they will go 1 or 2 SDSU games too if they are doing well.

I think the NFL is good at 32 teams. Only way a team comes back in to San Diego is if there is a relocation.

I doubt Goodell can make Mexico and England work as expansion teams in real life and Canada would be out of play because of the CFL.
01-12-2017 09:29 AM
TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
(01-12-2017 04:26 AM)goofus Wrote:  San Diego will have an NFL team again, just not right away. Just a new NFL stadium in San Diego would need to be privately financed. I know the NFL likes to milk cities for as much public money as they can, but they made an exception for LA, and someday they will make an exception for San Diego too.

No.

This is California we are talking about. There is not a lack of things to do like in some other states. The fans will just pick up tickets for some other pro/semi pro sport and watch on TV.

Not to mention it's only a 1-2 hour drive to LA depending on traffic. That's not really going to deter many season holders from going to the games.
01-12-2017 09:35 AM
SDSUguy Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: SDSU
The NBA hasn't come back to SD since the 80's and it will be the same for the NFL. San Diego is a small market by NFL standards and the corporate base is tiny so a privately financed stadium doesn't crayon let alone pencil. But the biggest reason they won't come back is that unlike other states California has a hurdle of 2/3ds approval necessary for a tax for a specific purpose like funding a stadium. Otherwise funding has to come out of the general fund which is used for police, fire, etc. there's a reason Los Angeles sat vacant for 20 years and it's 5 times the size of SD.
01-12-2017 09:36 AM
CarlSmithCenter Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Ball So Hard U
(01-12-2017 09:29 AM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

I think the NFL is good at 32 teams. Only way a team comes back in to San Diego is if there is a relocation.

I doubt Goodell can make Mexico and England work as expansion teams in real life and Canada would be out of play because of the CFL.

If the Bills moved to Toronto it might not start a death spiral for the CFL but at the same time the CFL is not an impediment to the NFL moving into Canada. I think currency exchange and taxation issues, not to mention Canada's harsh stance on allowing even temporary entrance to US citizens with criminal convictions (ask my buddy who couldn't go on a skiing bachelor party to Whistler because of an ill-advised, 15 year old college DUI) would be a bigger problem for the owners and the players, respectively.
01-12-2017 09:38 AM
Advertisement

bluesox Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If the chargers do move San Diego will be a great MLS expansion market, shared stadium with Sd state? Getting the NFL back to San Diego seems like a longshot since there would still be stadium issues and who is going to move now? I do thinks it's crazy for the NFL to let the chargers move to LA. At the very least, the NFL should allow the raiders to move to LA, they would work as team 2 and give the chargers the option to try again in San Diego or take the Las Vegas deal...maybe the NFL waives the chargers relocation fee to Vegas to nudge them away from LA.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 10:18 AM by bluesox.)
01-12-2017 10:18 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(01-12-2017 09:17 AM)SDSUguy Wrote:  Yesterday's announcement was absolutely huge for SDSU. Those SDSU fans that were not also fans of the Chargers have been openly rooting for this for years. It's a near certainty that SDSU takes over the site to meet the needs of the region to provide an affordable option to educate the masses in the face of of Californias crisis of lack of spaces for those who are eligible. San Diego's power players are behind SDSU taking over most if not all of the 166 acre site.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/busi...story.html

Here is an article by the most respected Chargers reporter urging the City to move forward with the plan when the Chargers announced their intentions to pursue a downtown side last year.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/spor...story.html

SDSU is expecting the same 99-year lease offer for the site at $1 per year that was offered to the Chargers in December. SDSU, as an entity of the state, has the power of eminent domain if necessary but it won't come to that.

Attendance next year will likely increase 5-10k per game but it's the long term effect of this that will be the most dramatic. California isn't like other states and the regions are segmented and a perfect example of this is the extremely dislike many San Diegans have for LA sports teams. I'd estimate 90% of Charger fans will no longer follow the team in LA. This was not unexpected and the President of SDSU has commitments of $100m from boosters to build a smaller (30-40k seats) stadium on the northwest corner of the site which is shown in the first article referenced.

As someone who has literally been following this situation for 10 years believe me when I say this is a great day for SDSU.

As a transplant to the San Diego region, I agree with this 100%.

Especially the part about "90% of Charger fans will no longer follow the team in LA." I've had countless people tell me that the Chargers are "dead to me" if they go to LA.
01-12-2017 10:36 AM
Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
A 40,000 seat stadium for 500 million? Wow! That is way too much for 40,000 seats. Surely SDSU can build a very nice stadium for half that.
01-12-2017 10:57 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(01-12-2017 09:35 AM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  

No.

This is California we are talking about. There is not a lack of things to do like in some other states. The fans will just pick up tickets for some other pro/semi pro sport and watch on TV.

Not to mention it's only a 1-2 hour drive to LA depending on traffic. That's not really going to deter many season holders from going to the games.

1-2 hours? It's 122 miles from Qualcomm to Inglewood if you're driving on the parking lot known as Interstate 5. And since this is Southern California (where there's always traffic), that's about 2 1/2-3 hours. And San Diegans don't like LA - most of them won't go to Inglewood out of principle.

As for your other statement, there's more to do in San Diego than in rural Alabama. But as a San Diego resident for the last 2 years, there's significantly less to do here than in other NFL towns. It's like a poorer version of Indianapolis with nicer weather (but the weather is a function of wealth - only the tourist areas and the extremely rich neighborhoods have weather that is better than Indy).
01-12-2017 11:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.