Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Which is worse for their team and why?
Kill/Doeren leaving immediately after the MACC in early December
PJ Leaving after the Cotton Bowl in early January
They are both equally bad
[Show Results]

Which is worse?
Bookmark and Share
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
Which is worse?
Which is worse and why?
01-11-2017 08:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
RE: Which is worse?
I'm not sure if i would classify either as "bad" per say, you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

Leaving less than a month before signing day (not even to mention taking as many recruits he did) is undoubtedly more damaging.
01-11-2017 08:39 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(01-11-2017 08:29 PM)HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Wrote:  Which is worse and why?

I think you need to separate them all out and then there is a hands down leader. To me, it's not even close and that honor goes to Kill. In reality, Kill left the team BEFORE the MACC. Correct me if I am wrong, but he may not have come back to DeKalb with the team. He went directly to Chicago to finalize the deal with Minnesota. The team had just laid a major egg and right or wrong, I'm pretty sure that Kill spent a lot of time that week on his personal agenda with Minnesota and was not as focused on the game in front of him as he should have been.

Doeren left after the championship game and was probably asked to by NC State, to get right to work. I would guess that he would have loved to stay and coach his team in the Orange Bowl.

PJ probably didn't have the chance until after the Cotton Bowl. And honestly, losing a starting QB and top ten pick WR are a lot more damaging than losing a handful of recruits.
01-11-2017 09:00 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
With the way PJ did it, I think it will have a much longer term effect on the teams. Depleting westerns class like that and basically no time left is going to hurt them the next 3-4 seasons IMO.
01-11-2017 09:00 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(01-11-2017 09:00 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  

I think you need to separate them all out and then there is a hands down leader. To me, it's not even close and that honor goes to Kill. In reality, Kill left the team BEFORE the MACC. Correct me if I am wrong, but he may not have come back to DeKalb with the team. He went directly to Chicago to finalize the deal with Minnesota. The team had just laid a major egg and right or wrong, I'm pretty sure that Kill spent a lot of time that week on his personal agenda with Minnesota and was not as focused on the game in front of him as he should have been.

Doeren left after the championship game and was probably asked to by NC State, to get right to work. I would guess that he would have loved to stay and coach his team in the Orange Bowl.

PJ probably didn't have the chance until after the Cotton Bowl. And honestly, losing a starting QB and top ten pick WR are a lot more damaging than losing a handful of recruits.

It came out that Doeren was going to NC State literally when I was driving back from Detroit the next day. if you don't think he had interviewed for the State job before the MAC Championship and was on his way out, you're delusional.

Only difference between how Kill and DD left is DD won the game.
01-11-2017 09:01 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(01-11-2017 09:00 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  With the way PJ did it, I think it will have a much longer term effect on the teams. Depleting westerns class like that and basically no time left is going to hurt them the next 3-4 seasons IMO.

Not having a star QB at this level is most damaging....see NIU.
01-11-2017 09:02 PM
Advertisement

HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(01-11-2017 09:02 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 09:00 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  With the way PJ did it, I think it will have a much longer term effect on the teams. Depleting westerns class like that and basically no time left is going to hurt them the next 3-4 seasons IMO.

Not having a star QB at this level is most damaging....see NIU.

I mean whoever takes the western job will basically have two weeks to even have a chance at some of the type of recruits they were after. Most are going to sign Feb 1st. Not easy at all.
01-11-2017 09:06 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

(01-11-2017 09:01 PM)7 Wrote:  

It came out that Doeren was going to NC State literally when I was driving back from Detroit the next day. if you don't think he had interviewed for the State job before the MAC Championship and was on his way out, you're delusional.

And....it was DD's 2nd MACC win.
01-11-2017 09:43 PM
huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

Leaving in January is ok. Taking the recruits with you is another story.
01-11-2017 10:07 PM
Springfield Soxfan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: White Sox
NIU has a better shot in Orange Bowl if Doeren was coach.
01-11-2017 10:09 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(01-11-2017 10:09 PM)Springfield Soxfan Wrote:  NIU has a better shot in Orange Bowl if Doeren was coach.

The Orange Bowl was a brilliantly coached game by Carey. He outcoached Jimbo.
01-11-2017 10:35 PM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
(01-11-2017 10:09 PM)Springfield Soxfan Wrote:  NIU has a better shot in Orange Bowl if Doeren was coach.

It would have been really interesting

Going back to the original poll question, its hard to throw Kill in there because he never won at NIU, so its kind of apples and oranges to throw his name in there.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 11:04 PM by MaddDawgz02.)
01-11-2017 11:03 PM
BDB5yp Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU Huskies
There's no good way to quit a job on short notice. Someone's always going to take it personal. Losing coaches always hurts your recruiting.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 11:33 PM by BDB5yp.)
01-11-2017 11:32 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

My point was that Kill deserted the team before the game---like he checked out--that team was unprepared for that game. I do understand that Doeren had stuff in place, just my feeling that he would have stayed for the Orange Bowl if NC State would have let him.
01-12-2017 08:05 AM
niuco90 Offline
1st String

I Root For: N.I.U.
January is the worst. Some kids were a week or two from enrolling and now have to wait and see what they want to do. Look at the Cal opening. That is a real nightmare. That job is still open three weeks from signing day. Neither one is a good thing but the more time you have as the new coach to get the recruits in place the better.
01-12-2017 08:40 AM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(01-12-2017 08:05 AM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  

My point was that Kill deserted the team before the game---like he checked out--that team was unprepared for that game. I do understand that Doeren had stuff in place, just my feeling that he would have stayed for the Orange Bowl if NC State would have let him.

Yup.

Team showed it. There was an eerie feeling in Detroit. Close source said they all thought he was going to IU actually. But they knew he was done. After game straight to meet w/UM (not at banquet?) if I remember.
01-12-2017 10:24 AM
Advertisement

cawoo22 Offline
Northern Yankee Prick

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
(01-12-2017 10:24 AM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  

Yup.

Team showed it. There was an eerie feeling in Detroit. Close source said they all thought he was going to IU actually. But they knew he was done. After game straight to meet w/UM (not at banquet?) if I remember.

I was originally of this opinion, as the team certainly was flat and Miami's gameplan thoroughly outfoxed us that night. However, after having talked to several members of that team, some of whom I'm pretty close with, they insist that it was just a bad game and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the preparation that week.

If we swat a ball down on 4th and 19 instead of three guys going for the INT, we're MAC Champions in 2010 and nobody is half as bitter as we all were that weekend.

Mostly, it just looked bad. Kill had the job by Sunday, but wanted to tell the team at the banquet. Unfortunately, news got out a few hours before and that made things really tense, especially between him and the media. Some of the same players I mentioned were pretty pissed that he was leaving, others figured you have to do what you have to do. Ultimately, after the dust settled, virtually all of those guys would still crawl over broken glass for Jerry Kill, who didn't recruit them to come to Dekalb (Joe Novak did). That says something right there.

I know there are few people on this board who are absolutely convinced Kill was distracted leading up to the MACC, and nothing I say will convince them otherwise. All I'm saying is I used to think that, too. But given what I've heard in the years since from people who were on that field, I don't think that was the case anymore. We just played like crap that night. It happens.
01-12-2017 11:29 AM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(01-12-2017 11:29 AM)cawoo22 Wrote:  
(01-12-2017 10:24 AM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 09:00 PM)Milwaukee Pilot Wrote:  I think you need to separate them all out and then there is a hands down leader. To me, it's not even close and that honor goes to Kill. In reality, Kill left the team BEFORE the MACC. Correct me if I am wrong, but he may not have come back to DeKalb with the team. He went directly to Chicago to finalize the deal with Minnesota. The team had just laid a major egg and right or wrong, I'm pretty sure that Kill spent a lot of time that week on his personal agenda with Minnesota and was not as focused on the game in front of him as he should have been.

Yup.

I was originally of this opinion, as the team certainly was flat and Miami's gameplan thoroughly outfoxed us that night. However, after having talked to several members of that team, some of whom I'm pretty close with, they insist that it was just a bad game and there was absolutely nothing wrong with the preparation that week.

If we swat a ball down on 4th and 19 instead of three guys going for the INT, we're MAC Champions in 2010 and nobody is half as bitter as we all were that weekend.

Mostly, it just looked bad. Kill had the job by Sunday, but wanted to tell the team at the banquet. Unfortunately, news got out a few hours before and that made things really tense, especially between him and the media. Some of the same players I mentioned were pretty pissed that he was leaving, others figured you have to do what you have to do. Ultimately, after the dust settled, virtually all of those guys would still crawl over broken glass for Jerry Kill, who didn't recruit them to come to Dekalb (Joe Novak did). That says something right there.

I know there are few people on this board who are absolutely convinced Kill was distracted leading up to the MACC, and nothing I say will convince them otherwise. All I'm saying is I used to think that, too. But given what I've heard in the years since from people who were on that field, I don't think that was the case anymore. We just played like crap that night. It happens.

Players may not want to sell their coach down the river, which is good. Kill recruited many of these guys. Also a sense of responsibility. Time changes things, opinions. That said, they knew he was going and that alone is a distraction. Emotions can effect your performance, especially teens/young adults. They said there was just no focus as a whole from the distraction. I was told minutes before the game and there was definite worry.

Whether their opinion changed, I don't know.
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017 02:51 PM by randyfensfanclub1.)
01-12-2017 02:50 PM
17Huskies Offline
Heisman

(01-11-2017 10:35 PM)7 Wrote:  

Yep, probably top 2 or 3 of Carey's career, and his next game @ Iowa is up there as well.

Fake punt, onside kick, not sure what else Doeren would have done, schemes were fine, they simple beat the crap out of us on the front lines.
01-12-2017 03:21 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(01-12-2017 03:21 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 10:35 PM)7 Wrote:  

Yep, probably top 2 or 3 of Carey's career, and his next game @ Iowa is up there as well.

Fake punt, onside kick, not sure what else Doeren would have done, schemes were fine, they simple beat the crap out of us on the front lines.

I thought the line did a decent job. The only thing I think Carey could have done better was use lynch as a decoy In the run game. FSU was locked in on him running, and also locked in on kicking his ass because of the misquoted "on their knees" thing. That was their only motivation in that game. But he's your best runner and you hope he breaks one. The real issue was Lynch's passing. He couldn't hit water from a boat that night. Moore ran free all game and Jordan kept missing. That would have changed everything and opened up the run.
01-12-2017 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.