01-10-2017 01:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
RE: John Bacon interview regarding Flecks move
I don't agree with the guy's POV.

1. WMU wasn't a dormant team, with him going in, and we did have that dormant year and a couple recent less-than-potential years. We were sliding, and we were no Akron or EMU -- we weren't going to be tolerable of a down season, even with key injuries. We were basically a team around .500 over the last several years, capable here and there, but sub-par to be in the upper-tier of G5. That, and rumors of Cubit in the latter years not meshing so well, made him get the boot due to our greater ambition.

2. Leaving WMU making A Lot of money for a G5 (not understood or mentioned) requires Less of a reason to stay. It wasn't "time to go" because they wouldn't be 13-0 next year. That's ridiculous. Neither will any other G5 (or most likely P5 for that matter). He'd have plenty of time to establish WMU in at least the upper-tier -- and to get a nice P5 HC job whenever he'd like If he kept things up... and a better one when opportunities came up (ND in 3 years?).

3. Minnesota's a graveyard? No. Jerry Kill's squad made them not a graveyard. Nothing to ooh-and-ahh about, but not a graveyard. PJ can make them be a 9W team several years, and get an occasional 10W squad going. I think if someone took Minnesota to make them compete at the top of the B1G West Division year after year, they could get hired elsewhere for a more opportunistic HC position, at some point... but it's not Ideal, tho. I think the main thing is -- it's not a graveyard, but it's not an opportunistic resevoir... and you have a good chance of being Stuck there (and happy with it) if you don't break free. So do you Really want to live Way up north in the cold? If so, that's great. Otherwise, I think it would have been best to make comparable money at WMU if you adored Kzoo so much, and to ride that out for a bigger/better opportunity position years down the road when one would open up.

IMO, Minnesota, despite not being a graveyard, brings its Risk for the extremely ambitious folk like PJ -- to be the next Glenn Mason, having a quality football program for years, and hanging your hat on that and that alone... good enough to stay for their expectations (and OCs/DCs leaving to other places over time), but not Great enough to be picked up by the top-tier P5s if the wind doesn't blow your way. His best bet would be to turn WMU into a Consistent G5-power that NIU established itself to be... and to take over a squad that carries less risk due to its history of maxing out as "quality program".
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2017 03:04 PM by toddjnsn.)
01-10-2017 02:58 PM
fastbuicks Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: WMU
I would say over the next few years WMU could have a better chance at a new years six bowl than Minnesota. Thats just what I would say
01-10-2017 04:04 PM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU Broncos
While HC at Minnesota Glen Mason actually took Georgia job for a day or two, then changed his mind and went back to The U.
01-11-2017 09:01 AM
Potro Offline
2nd String

(01-10-2017 04:04 PM)fastbuicks Wrote:  I would say over the next few years WMU could have a better chance at a new years six bowl than Minnesota. Thats just what I would say

IDK Fleck got us there in only 4 years, and who among us ever thought that would be possible for WMU? No reason he can't do the same at Minn. Yes, he does have to coach against some of the best in the business, but then again he also has a B1G school to help draw in recruits.
01-11-2017 09:10 AM
Advertisement

MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

Fleck is first going to have to get by Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, and even Northwestern in Big Ten-West.
01-11-2017 09:14 AM
Potro Offline
2nd String

..... And he had to get by NIU and Toledo while here.
01-11-2017 09:21 AM
Advertisement

FourthandLong Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Minnesota
(01-11-2017 09:01 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  While HC at Minnesota Glen Mason actually took Georgia job for a day or two, then changed his mind and went back to The U.

That was when Mason was at Kansas.
01-11-2017 09:26 AM
MajorHoople Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-11-2017 09:26 AM)FourthandLong Wrote:  
(01-11-2017 09:01 AM)MajorHoople Wrote:  While HC at Minnesota Glen Mason actually took Georgia job for a day or two, then changed his mind and went back to The U.

That was when Mason was at Kansas.

I stand corrected. My Halftimers' acting up again.
01-11-2017 09:27 AM
broncojohnny Offline
1st String

I will be paying a ton of attention to Minny's road game at UofM.....Welcome to the big ten...You are not playing CMU any more.....
01-11-2017 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.