WMU Broncos

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The new PJ rule?
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
The new PJ rule?
I think that PJ is setting a precedent that might need to be evaluated by the NCAA... I.E. If he takes recruits then the university he's taking them from... gets a monetary kick back for payment back on time spent recruiting the individual while at the original university and coaches salary...

I.E. PJ was making $800k a year.... spent probably say 5% of his time over that year recruiting on each player... So 5% of his salary per player... $40k per player he takes... Not much... but something.

Maybe also... if a kid "COMMITS"... and he's lured away by another school and flips.... he's forced to sit out a year. Whether its to follow a coach... or he re-opens his commitment and goes somewhere else... Definitely would put more emphasis on commitments... slow down the flip flopping right up until NSD...
01-08-2017 01:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
RE: The new PJ rule?
Get real. Poaching commits is not something that PJ Fleck started. It has been going on for a long time by a lot of coaches.

But now that it is OUR recruits........you think that there should be a rule? He is setting no precedent. LOL
01-08-2017 01:40 PM
flushtheherd Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-08-2017 01:40 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Get real. Poaching commits is not something that PJ Fleck started. It has been going on for a long time by a lot of coaches.

But now that it is OUR recruits........you think that there should be a rule? He is setting no precedent. LOL

This was meant more on the premise that WMU paid PJ to recruit these kids.... he can totally have them... but hey... pay us back for the time you spent. Oh and in no way am I being serious... Just sick and tired of not only this poaching... but the year in and year out commitment flipping... everywhere...

I suppose thats what you get when you build a big enough buy out clause... Which I think was another reason PJ didn't want to sign a new extension earlier... WMU likely had a HUGE buyout in there that he worried would put off some potential opportunities...
01-08-2017 01:45 PM
Advertisement

BroncoPhilly Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(01-08-2017 01:45 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  
(01-08-2017 01:40 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  Get real. Poaching commits is not something that PJ Fleck started. It has been going on for a long time by a lot of coaches.

This was meant more on the premise that WMU paid PJ to recruit these kids.... he can totally have them... but hey... pay us back for the time you spent. Oh and in no way am I being serious... Just sick and tired of not only this poaching... but the year in and year out commitment flipping... everywhere...

I suppose thats what you get when you build a big enough buy out clause... Which I think was another reason PJ didn't want to sign a new extension earlier... WMU likely had a HUGE buyout in there that he worried would put off some potential opportunities...

IF we hire Mike Houston and he brings some of his top recruits to WMU are we going to pay back James Madison for the time he spent recruiting those student-athletes? It goes both ways.

This is the seamy underside of big time college athletics, but I don't know how you get rid of it. Poaching recruits needs to be factored into hiring, way it is.
01-08-2017 02:21 PM
toddjnsn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU, MAC
Having it part of the buyout -- that'd be interesting to see in a contract. But understand that if we hire a coaching staff that's been working this past year, that we'll also be in position to get a recruit or two from them.
01-08-2017 02:26 PM
Advertisement

Doo Offline
1st String

To my knowledge he hasn't broken a single rule. If he's cool with what gets added to his reputation and relationships with Bronco players that's his porogative.
01-08-2017 02:39 PM
Broncos83 Offline
All American

This is to be expected. No shock or surprise here at all. Time to move on.
01-08-2017 02:53 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
Too bad the NCAA doesn't have an early signing period so that these kids would have been signed commits.
01-08-2017 02:55 PM
B4L Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: WMU, Michigan
(01-08-2017 01:37 PM)flushtheherd Wrote:  I think that PJ is setting a precedent that might need to be evaluated by the NCAA... I.E. If he takes recruits then the university he's taking them from... gets a monetary kick back for payment back on time spent recruiting the individual while at the original university and coaches salary...

I.E. PJ was making $800k a year.... spent probably say 5% of his time over that year recruiting on each player... So 5% of his salary per player... $40k per player he takes... Not much... but something.

Maybe also... if a kid "COMMITS"... and he's lured away by another school and flips.... he's forced to sit out a year. Whether its to follow a coach... or he re-opens his commitment and goes somewhere else... Definitely would put more emphasis on commitments... slow down the flip flopping right up until NSD...

Early signing period is the only answer to the late timing issue. Give kids the opportunity to sign earlier. Those commits would not have been able to flip.
01-08-2017 02:55 PM
Advertisement

wmubroncopilot Offline
Heisman

They're verbal commitments. As far as the NCAA is concerned (and some players and coaches for that matter) a verbal commitment isn't anything.
01-08-2017 03:00 PM
jubbasubba Offline
All American

I Root For:
I think signing day needs to move back. I think it needs to be around the first of April. That would allow programs that need to replace their coach in January some time to get a class together.
01-08-2017 04:28 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.