ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

That's what I'm talking about!
mac Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion
That's what I'm talking about!
BJ Stith had his third straight career high. And not talking about 7,8 or 9 points either. So great to see him getting his game legs after basically not playing for two years. Seeing why he was a highly regarded recruit now.

Caver is starting to show why so many recruiting expert type folks called him "a steal" when he signed with the Monarchs. I like his game and his aggressiveness. He just needed some games as "the man" at the point. I was not surprised by his up and down start. Wouldn't want to be the guy who fills Trey Freeman's shoes but once he figures out he needs to be Ahmad Caver, not Trey Freeman, he will be a stud. Looks like he may have. His last 3 or 4 games have shown what's coming.

Welcome back Talley. Most of us can see what he can become. My hope is he is back full time and focused. He looks so smooth. He brings things to the table nobody else his size on our squad can.

Foul shooting has taken a definite turn for the better for multiple games now. Whatever they are doing at practice or after, please keep that up.

Have no clue if we will be dancing but I for one am seeing definite progress. I predicted it would take 10-12 games for nine new players to gel. Well, it may have taken a couple more but I'm seeing a very positive trend. Not looking back at W&M and such, but looking forward. My opinion is, I think we will be a force come mid Feb. and beyond if we can stay away from the injury bug.
01-08-2017 06:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Obiwan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU
RE: That's what I'm talking about!
Agree - we typically come together this time of year . I like what I see as well
01-08-2017 07:07 AM
odufansam Offline
1st String

I'm glad these guys are starting to knock down shots, but neither Marshall or Western Kentucky play much defense. Hopefully it will help their confidence for next week.
01-08-2017 08:06 AM
mac Offline
All American

19-22 from the charity stripe. Defense has nothing to do with that.
01-08-2017 08:39 AM
bit_9 Online

A few games ago jj said in a post presser he was going to tell them to stop doing so much at the line. Get there, maybe bounce once, shoot. Less thinking and more muscle memory.

Posted from mobile device. Hopefully it's coherent.
01-08-2017 09:38 AM
Advertisement

FantomVII Offline
2nd String

(01-08-2017 06:44 AM)mac Wrote:  BJ Stith had his third straight career high. And not talking about 7,8 or 9 points either. So great to see him getting his game legs after basically not playing for two years. Seeing why he was a highly regarded recruit now.

Caver is starting to show why so many recruiting expert type folks called him "a steal" when he signed with the Monarchs. I like his game and his aggressiveness. He just needed some games as "the man" at the point. I was not surprised by his up and down start. Wouldn't want to be the guy who fills Trey Freeman's shoes but once he figures out he needs to be Ahmad Caver, not Trey Freeman, he will be a stud. Looks like he may have. His last 3 or 4 games have shown what's coming.

Welcome back Talley. Most of us can see what he can become. My hope is he is back full time and focused. He looks so smooth. He brings things to the table nobody else his size on our squad can.

Foul shooting has taken a definite turn for the better for multiple games now. Whatever they are doing at practice or after, please keep that up.

Have no clue if we will be dancing but I for one am seeing definite progress. I predicted it would take 10-12 games for nine new players to gel. Well, it may have taken a couple more but I'm seeing a very positive trend. Not looking back at W&M and such, but looking forward. My opinion is, I think we will be a force come mid Feb. and beyond if we can stay away from the injury bug.

I feel the same about Fields. He needs to mature as a player but there's time for that and I believe that is why he is seeing some playing time. Fields, to me, shows confidence and doesn't seem to hesitate if his opponent towers him by a foot. If JJ can get Fields to be at a more mature playing level, I think we may soon have options at PG, similar to Lawry and Cox in FB, giving us more depth on the bench.
01-08-2017 10:05 AM
Old Dominion Offline
Heisman

I love Fields confidence. Hope he stays with us. Lack of size will always be a problem, but I can see him be a real contributor down the road. He could easily be a starter right now for a lower level program.
01-08-2017 11:29 AM
mac Offline
All American

Don't get me wrong, I love Fields. Super glad he's a Monarch. Coach Jones said he reminded him of Harold Deane at UVA and he was really good. But Caver is our guy now. 26 points and now 18. He is turning the corner big time. 6-6 from foul line and then last night 4-5. Plus 4-6 from three. Like where he is heading, getting more confident each game. Same could be said for BJ Stith.
01-08-2017 11:46 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

Yeah, I'm stoked about BJ's development. His shot looks a lot smoother, which is probably why he's more consistent from three. Talley has also found his groove. And the people who thought there was ever a PG controversy on this team must have that good stuff! Caver is notably better than Fields. Fields is a luxury as a back-up, but that's all he's ever going to be here. Glad we have him, but I doubt he's on the team next year if Xavier is as good as advertised and plays PG for us even in limited minutes.
01-09-2017 04:30 PM
Advertisement

Nukesquad Offline
1st String

(01-09-2017 04:30 PM)T-Mac Wrote:  Yeah, I'm stoked about BJ's development. His shot looks a lot smoother, which is probably why he's more consistent from three. Talley has also found his groove. And the people who thought there was ever a PG controversy on this team must have that good stuff! Caver is notably better than Fields. Fields is a luxury as a back-up, but that's all he's ever going to be here. Glad we have him, but I doubt he's on the team next year if Xavier is as good as advertised and plays PG for us even in limited minutes.

I try not to say never, but Xavier isn't going to play back up to the point. He'll play as much point as Zoran does now. He'll be able to initiate the offense if necessary, similar to Bacote in years past. It wasn't the most ideal situation, but you could rely on him if needed.
01-10-2017 12:59 PM
mac Offline
All American

Hey Nukesquad, I read/heard somewhere recently that they have indeed been working with Green at point guard at practice. Just what I've heard. But you seem to have a good handle on things.
01-10-2017 01:21 PM
Nukesquad Offline
1st String

(01-10-2017 01:21 PM)mac Wrote:  Hey Nukesquad, I read/heard somewhere recently that they have indeed been working with Green at point guard at practice. Just what I've heard. But you seem to have a good handle on things.

There were a couple of previous posts referring to some practices earlier in the year where the coaching staff had him working as the point guard for the opposition, but nothing since. However I just don't see him playing a bulk of his minutes at the 1 position, and I don't see JJ heavily rotating 3 PGs. Now, while we're postulating, I could see Xavier's PG role to that of Bazemore's role during the 2010-2011 season. ODU utilized Bazemore at the point when necessary but utilized Darius and Marquel for the bulk of the PG minutes (allowing Bazemore to play other spots).
01-10-2017 03:52 PM
mac Offline
All American

Hey thanks a million for that update!
01-10-2017 05:00 PM
Advertisement

757ODU Offline
All American

With the way Ahmad is playing, I don't think we want to see Xavier as the backup PG. Our best basketball is played when Caver is handling the ball.
01-11-2017 08:51 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I'm not against a 2 point guard lineup especially since I think Cavers shooting numbers will only rise. I watch Villanova and they do just fine with 2 point guards.

How it plays out with Caver, Fields, Green, Hueitt, Godwin all in the backcourt will be interesting.
01-11-2017 10:13 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

(01-10-2017 03:52 PM)Nukesquad Wrote:  
(01-10-2017 01:21 PM)mac Wrote:  Hey Nukesquad, I read/heard somewhere recently that they have indeed been working with Green at point guard at practice. Just what I've heard. But you seem to have a good handle on things.

There were a couple of previous posts referring to some practices earlier in the year where the coaching staff had him working as the point guard for the opposition, but nothing since. However I just don't see him playing a bulk of his minutes at the 1 position, and I don't see JJ heavily rotating 3 PGs. Now, while we're postulating, I could see Xavier's PG role to that of Bazemore's role during the 2010-2011 season. ODU utilized Bazemore at the point when necessary but utilized Darius and Marquel for the bulk of the PG minutes (allowing Bazemore to play other spots).
I think you misunderstood my post. I was posturing that Xavier would be used exactly like Bacote and Bazemore were used in the past. When Caver needs a breather, Xavier steps in and plays PG for a few minutes and then goes back to SG or SF.

I don't see Fields developing into a scoring threat, and we've seen how bogged down the offense gets when the PG's scoring ability isn't respected.
01-11-2017 11:09 AM
T-Mac Offline
Special Teams

It's going to be tough finding minutes for everyone next year. Assuming Xavier and Hueitt are as good as advertised, we'll need to find 10-15 mpg for them in a rotation that is only losing one player. Maybe, like others have said in the past, the answer is moving Talley to the 4 when Taylor graduates could open up some PT for our plethora of SF, SG, and PGs, but that's the only solution I can see. We definitely need to RS some people next year.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017 11:22 AM by T-Mac.)
01-11-2017 11:13 AM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

Well, I didn't realize this when I made the comment earlier about 2 point guards;

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/201...s-jayhawks
01-11-2017 04:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.