Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Cookout Restaurant on Highland
Bookmark and Share
SayWhat? Offline
All American

I Root For: CIVILITY & UofM
Cookout Restaurant on Highland
There is a new BBQ/hamburger fresh fast food joint on Highland next to Wendy's. The food is great and prices are very reasonable considering the quality. Noticed it when passing by and there was a line of cars for the drive thru back to Spottswood on opening day, and the parking lot was full for the walk in crowd. There was a line today at 5 o'clock past the KFC. The line of cars moved fairly quickly considering the average time we usually wait in line at "fast food" places here in Mempho. Here is a link

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/...hland.html
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 08:24 PM by SayWhat?.)
01-07-2017 08:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NOLA Tiger Offline
Banned

I Root For: Tigers!
RE: Cookout Restaurant on Highland
went wed lunch time, around 6 bucks for a double burger, 2 sides, drink and shake. it was packed with college kids. dined in, took less than 10 mins to get food (although i wasn't really paying attention), will def be back to try the other items.
01-07-2017 08:29 PM
memp600 Offline
Just grinding...

I Root For: Memphis
I've never heard of this place until I drove past it a week or two ago. And everytime it's been absolutely slammed. Doesn't matter what time.
01-07-2017 11:58 PM
NOLA Tiger Offline
Banned

[Image: o.jpg]

01-08-2017 01:55 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
o man
my kingdom for some hushpuppies
01-08-2017 01:58 PM
SayWhat? Offline
All American

(01-08-2017 01:55 PM)NOLA Tiger Wrote:  [Image: o.jpg]

Shhhh! Now the line will be even longer. Great food for cheap. What a concept. Too bad the others have forgotten this marketing strategy long long ago. Long time.
01-08-2017 02:57 PM
Advertisement

Garstiger Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
(01-07-2017 08:20 PM)SayWhat? Wrote:  There is a new BBQ/hamburger fresh fast food joint on Highland next to Wendy's. The food is great and prices are very reasonable considering the quality. Noticed it when passing by and there was a line of cars for the drive thru back to Spottswood on opening day, and the parking lot was full for the walk in crowd. There was a line today at 5 o'clock past the KFC. The line of cars moved fairly quickly considering the average time we usually wait in line at "fast food" places here in Mempho. Here is a link

This is a very common restaurant in the Carolinas. My nieces moved to the Rock Hill, SC area several years ago, and they made us aware of it. We go there every time we visit them. The burgers are good and the shakes are phenomenal. I was not aware that one had opened in the Memphis area. Hopefully, it's just the first of many more to come. When were there at Christmas, we ate at another burger place called Highway 55 that is Carolina based. I liked it just as well if not better than Cookout. Highway 55 has more of a '50's diner feel and look to it. Would be cool if that came to the Memphis area as well.
01-08-2017 03:04 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

It's based in NC with extensive footprints in NC, SC, GA, VA, eastern parts of KY and TN. This is their westernmost location.

I like it a lot because the menu is huge, it is dirt cheap (Taco Bell is the only cheaper fast food joint I know of, excepting Checkers/Rally's, but I don't live in those parts of town), and it is open very late. I get the impression from their staff/customer service that they pay much more than minimum wage, too.

$5.45 combo - entree, two sides, and a drink - including tax, is pretty good. Not a big shake person but the one I've had was pretty great.
01-08-2017 05:55 PM
SayWhat? Offline
All American

(01-08-2017 03:04 PM)Garstiger Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 08:20 PM)SayWhat? Wrote:  There is a new BBQ/hamburger fresh fast food joint on Highland next to Wendy's. The food is great and prices are very reasonable considering the quality. Noticed it when passing by and there was a line of cars for the drive thru back to Spottswood on opening day, and the parking lot was full for the walk in crowd. There was a line today at 5 o'clock past the KFC. The line of cars moved fairly quickly considering the average time we usually wait in line at "fast food" places here in Mempho. Here is a link

This is a very common restaurant in the Carolinas. My nieces moved to the Rock Hill, SC area several years ago, and they made us aware of it. We go there every time we visit them. The burgers are good and the shakes are phenomenal. I was not aware that one had opened in the Memphis area. Hopefully, it's just the first of many more to come. When were there at Christmas, we ate at another burger place called Highway 55 that is Carolina based. I liked it just as well if not better than Cookout. Highway 55 has more of a '50's diner feel and look to it. Would be cool if that came to the Memphis area as well.

There is a Hwy 55 in Searcy Ark. Also one in Abu Dhabi and Denmark if you can imagine?
01-08-2017 06:34 PM
yakko Offline
More than meets the eye!

I Root For: Memphis Tigers

NCAAbbs LUGDonators
I had one in Charlotte a couple years ago and loved it.
01-09-2017 09:24 AM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
We went Saturday for lunch - $17.00 for all three of us to eat, and there was a good bit left over. At 1:30 there was a huge line, but we still got our food in under 10 minutes.

Burgers were great by fast food standards, fries were crispy, even the quesadilla was good! My son said the chicken nuggets were good too, but what do you expect - he's 7.

We all split a shake just to try it out - it was good as well, but it's more like a blizzard or a blast - it's super thick, so we all dug in with spoons & ate it like ice cream.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 01:53 PM by tigergreen.)
01-09-2017 01:20 PM
Advertisement

AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Yar.

SUPER thick.
01-09-2017 01:52 PM
SayWhat? Offline
All American

Had lunch there today. I counted 20 or 21 cars when I went in to see if that was quicker than waiting in the drive out line. The car I would have been behind was a black Range Rover. There were 19 individual orders with 3 cashiers. The inside line went very quickly and my number was called in about 90 seconds. I went to get a straw and some napkins, number called and when I left the Range Rover just pulled up to the window to get their order. Quick.

On a side note, Wendy's next door had zero cars in the drive thru and 3 cars parked in the parking lot. Probably the employee's cars. They have been a ghost town since Cook Out opened.
01-09-2017 03:17 PM
tigergreen Offline

I Root For: MEMPHIS
(01-09-2017 03:17 PM)SayWhat? Wrote:  On a side note, Wendy's next door had zero cars in the drive thru and 3 cars parked in the parking lot. Probably the employee's cars. They have been a ghost town since Cook Out opened.

I made the same comment to my husband that I figured most of the cars parked over there were walking over to Cookout. I'm sure they'll post some "Wendy's parking only" signage soon.
01-09-2017 03:40 PM
tiger2000 Offline
I Post By "Feel"

I Root For: $79.95 Boards
I ate at the one in Greensboro back when I did some work there. Can't remember if I liked it or not but will have to give this one a try since the consensus seems to be that it's good.
01-09-2017 03:40 PM
SayWhat? Offline
All American

(01-09-2017 03:40 PM)tigergreen Wrote:  
(01-09-2017 03:17 PM)SayWhat? Wrote:  On a side note, Wendy's next door had zero cars in the drive thru and 3 cars parked in the parking lot. Probably the employee's cars. They have been a ghost town since Cook Out opened.

I made the same comment to my husband that I figured most of the cars parked over there were walking over to Cookout. I'm sure they'll post some "Wendy's parking only" signage soon.

More like "Going Out of Business" sign, or Cook Out 1 Hour Parking $2
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 03:47 PM by SayWhat?.)
01-09-2017 03:45 PM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(01-08-2017 01:58 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  o man
my kingdom for some hushpuppies

you ain't kidding.

Mmmm, mmmm.... I love hush-puppies.
01-09-2017 06:48 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

I am not big on hushpuppies but mah boo is and she made me try one of hers.

Pretty good, best I've had in a fast food environment.
01-09-2017 07:08 PM
MemTigerFan Offline
The People's Photographer

Donators
(01-09-2017 07:08 PM)AlonsoWDC Wrote:  I am not big on hushpuppies but mah boo is and she made me try one of hers.

Pretty good, best I've had in a fast food environment.

hmm, those were the only thing I didn't like. Way too dense and overcooked when I ate there. Everything else was really good, and dang cheap! Will be back whenever I'm in that area.
01-10-2017 08:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
memp600 Offline
Just grinding...

I still can't get over how crowded this place gets. Drove by it again yesterday and the backup caused a small traffic jam. I'm gonna try it out when things die down.(if they ever do)
01-12-2017 11:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.