Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Cats vs. Coogs Game Thread
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Saturday. 9 PM. ESPN U. Yeah, baby! This is shaping up to be a great early battle on the conference slate. Hats off to the Coogs at 13-3 overall and 3-0 in the American. Cats not too shabby either at 12-2 overall and 2-0 in the AAC. The winner comes out undefeated in the conference and sitting at the top of the heap momentarily. Good luck Coog Nation! Should be a good one...

FWIW, current line has Houston +3.
01-06-2017 10:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

RE: Cats vs. Coogs Game Thread

01-06-2017 11:16 PM
WhoseHouse? Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UH
(01-06-2017 10:39 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Saturday. 9 PM. ESPN U. Yeah, baby! This is shaping up to be a great early battle on the conference slate. Hats off to the Coogs at 12-3 overall and 3-0 in the American. Cats not too shabby either at 12-2 overall and 2-0 in the AAC. The winner comes out undefeated in the conference and sitting at the top of the heap momentarily. Good luck Coog Nation! Should be a good one...

FWIW, current line has Houston +3.

FIFY unless that was your way of predicting a UH win tomorrow lol
04-cheers
01-06-2017 11:24 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
we will beat em' like a red headed step couger....
01-06-2017 11:25 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Quote:Cincinnati not just another game for UH
By Joseph DuarteJanuary 6, 2017

[Image: 920x1240.jpg]
Rob Gray, Houston's leading scorer, missed Wednesday's game against Tulsa with the flu and will be a game-time decision for Cincinnati today.

University of Houston coach Kelvin Sampson is mindful not to put too much emphasis on any game, but it is hard to ignore the importance of Saturday's clash with No. 22 Cincinnati.

"This is the first game we look and say this is a great opportunity game for us for a lot reasons," Sampson said Friday. "I'm not going to sit here and say this is just another game, because it's not.

"It's a great opportunity for us."

Off to a 3-0 start in the American Athletic Conference, the Cougars get their toughest test to date against the preseason favorite Bearcats (12-2, 2-0 AAC) at 8 p.m. Saturday at Hofheinz Pavilion.

As measuring sticks go, the game offers the Cougars a chance to strengthen their postseason résumé with more than two months until NCAA Selection Sunday. UH is seeking its first NCAA Tournament appearance in seven years and just the third since 1992.

A 12-3 start - which includes victories over Rhode Island and injury-ravaged Connecticut - already has started to move the NCAA Tournament needle.

'A must-win'

In his latest projections released Friday, CBS Sports.com bracketologist Jerry Palm has the Cougars among his "last four in" for the 68-team field and playing as a No. 11 seed in a First Four game against Michigan at Dayton, Ohio. Joe Lunardi of ESPN.com has Houston among the first four teams out of the field.

"We have to look at (the Cincinnati game) as a must-win," forward Danrad "Chicken" Knowles said. "You're trying to build so just use every game as a hurdle. Like the last game (a 64-61 win over Tulsa), we pulled it out somehow. We figured it out and stayed together. This is another hurdle. We have to be prepared and ready to fight."

To be on the safe side, the Cougars know they must take advantage of key games on the schedule, which also includes another game at Cincinnati (March 2), two games against SMU (Jan. 21 in Dallas and Feb. 18 in Houston) and one more against Connecticut (Feb. 22).

Cincinnati is in position for a seventh consecutive postseason appearance. SMU made the NCAA field in 2015 but was forced to sit out last season because of NCAA sanctions.

Based on current RPI, UH will need some work to stay in the NCAA Tournament discussion. The Cougars are No. 59 in ESPN's RPI projections, No. 60 in the NCAA's and No. 61 in Yahoo's. Cincinnati is comfortably between Nos. 26-27, and SMU is at Nos. 24-25.

"The two teams in our league that are playing the best are probably Cincinnati and SMU," Sampson said. "Those two teams are really, really good. Cincinnati is kind of our (league's) flagship school. Connecticut is when they are going, but they've had a lot of bad luck with injuries. Right now, Cincinnati is the school carrying the banner. We're fighting and scratching and clawing to get to that point."

Playing short-handed

Sampson said the Cougars have been "up and down" in non-conference play with double-digit losses to Arkansas and LSU and a poor-shooting game that cost them in a one-point loss to Harvard. UH's top RPI victory this season is against No. 36 Rhode Island.

UH opened AAC play with a pair of road wins - dominating Connecticut 62-46 and pulling out a 70-56 victory over South Florida. In their last game, the Cougars - without leading scorer Rob Gray and top inside presence Devin Davis - escaped Tulsa.

Gray, the AAC's leading scorer at 20.4 points per game, has shown improvement after being sent home Wednesday with the flu, but he remains questionable for Saturday's game, according to school spokesman Jeff Conrad. His availability will be a game-time decision.

Davis remains out with plantar fasciitis in his left foot that has sidelined him most of the past seven games.

UH split two games with Cincinnati last season, losing to the Bearcats 70-59 at Cincinnati and winning 69-56 in the regular-season finale at Hofheinz.

"This is definitely a game that is circled on the calendar because it's Cincinnati," guard Wes VanBeck said. "They are going to want some revenge for last year. We've got to come out and play hard and be physical with them because that's Cincinnati ball."
Houston Chronicle Article
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 11:33 PM by UCGrad1992.)
01-06-2017 11:32 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

Gray is a player...
01-06-2017 11:33 PM
Advertisement

UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(01-06-2017 11:33 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  Gray is a player...

Yup.
01-06-2017 11:35 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I like this quote from Sampson...

"Cincinnati is kind of our (league's) flagship school. Connecticut is when they are going, but they've had a lot of bad luck with injuries. Right now, Cincinnati is the school carrying the banner."
01-06-2017 11:35 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Good interview by the Cincy coach. I like how he acknowledged how difficult it was to win without Gray who averages 20 per. Not to mention Davis, another starter.
01-06-2017 11:36 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

Apparently, Gray is still feeling effects of the flu and will be a game time decision. Translation: he'll play.

Quote: A tweet from Houston Chronicle beat writer Joseph Duarte on Friday night said that Gray has shown improvement from the illness but is questionable for the UC game, with Gray's playing status a game-time decision. UC expects to see Gray play Saturday night.

“The way Rob Gray is playing for them, to win without him (against Tulsa) was impressive,” UC coach Mick Cronin said.
Cincinnati Enquirer
01-07-2017 11:50 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

FWIW, current kenpom rankings and conference rankings in parentheses:

Cincinnati
#17 (1) Overall
#50 (3) Adjusted Offensive Efficiency
#4 (1) Adjusted Defensive Efficiency

Houston
#42 (3) Overall
#25 (1) Adjusted Offensive Efficiency
#92 (6) Adjusted Defensive Efficiency
01-07-2017 12:11 PM
Advertisement

Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

speaking of flu

hearing starting PF Gary Clark for UC is battling flu

Scott and Brooks better be ready to go

thank goodness we have a good bench
01-07-2017 04:19 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

(01-07-2017 04:19 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  speaking of flu

hearing starting PF Gary Clark for UC is battling flu

Scott and Brooks better be ready to go

thank goodness we have a good bench

Damn. I hadn't heard that about Clark #1. Agree on Scott and Brooks if Clark can't go.
01-07-2017 04:21 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
Hope he doesn't spread the flu to other teammates
01-07-2017 04:25 PM
owlfan2272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Temple Owls
Cincinnati hasn't had to play in such a loud environment like they will tonight, there is an electricity to the Houston basketball crowd you can't get anywhere
01-07-2017 04:29 PM
M1T4 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(01-07-2017 04:29 PM)owlfan2272 Wrote:  Cincinnati hasn't had to play in such a loud environment like they will tonight, there is an electricity to the Houston basketball crowd you can't get anywhere

03-lmfao
01-07-2017 04:35 PM
Advertisement

JUSTGOPLAY Offline
2nd String

I Root For: CINCINNATI
(01-07-2017 04:29 PM)owlfan2272 Wrote:  Cincinnati hasn't had to play in such a loud environment like they will tonight, there is an electricity to the Houston basketball crowd you can't get anywhere

It's Saturday Night, with a 8PM Tip, in a city of 2M people, Texans game will be concluded, and the Rockets are not in town. If a 13-3 UH Basketball team can't fill a 8K seat building tonight, they ought to go ahead shut the program down....
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 04:58 PM by JUSTGOPLAY.)
01-07-2017 04:56 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
Houston hasn't done that in a long time minus a few games. Don't hold your breath.

Basketball is only slightly more popular than hockey around here.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 06:02 PM by C2__.)
01-07-2017 05:31 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
I was at the bagel shop this morning and there were four people said they were going to the game tonight, so that's 4 in the stands, oh yes thay are cougar fans
01-07-2017 05:34 PM
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Interesting note:
When football started this season people said houstons population was 6 1/2 million , now we're talking bb and now our population is 2 1/2 or 2 million
There are UofH bb fans outside of the inner city, it just takes 30 years to drive into town
01-07-2017 05:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.