Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Temple fans: Mark D'Onofrio?
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
Temple fans: Mark D'Onofrio?
Looks like his Temple defense made steady progress in the Golden era.

Very spotty record at Miami, though.

Thoughts on him? What kind of defense does he run?
01-06-2017 07:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHG722 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Temple
RE: Temple fans: Mark D'Onofrio?
Mark Onofrio. There's no D.
01-06-2017 08:49 PM
JAE_VT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(01-06-2017 07:04 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  Looks like his Temple defense made steady progress in the Golden era.

Very spotty record at Miami, though.

Thoughts on him? What kind of defense does he run?

I normally try not to comment on this blog site since I root for VT, which is not in the AAC, but your University made a huge mistake hiring Mr. D'Onofrio. The reason Golden lost the fans at Miami is that he refused to fire his bff DC D'Onofrio. Players regressed under his defenses. The most damning thing I read was the scouting report out of the NFL combine after the 2014 season when an NFL scout said he couldnt understand how Miami couldnt win the ACC coastal division with all the NFL talent on the Miami squad. Especially considering how those kids performed in the physical tests. Drop him, drop him now.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 09:44 PM by JAE_VT.)
01-06-2017 09:28 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

I Root For: VT & UCF
Here's a good look at D'Onofrio's red zone defense:

[Image: aOz2ALU.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 11:22 PM by Insane_Baboon.)
01-06-2017 10:08 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(01-06-2017 10:08 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  Here's a good look at D'Onofrio's red line defense:

WTF is the "red line"?

"Your" (in quotes because you went to UCF, and are a UT t-shirt fan) Longhorns hired an entire G5 staff with the exception of the 128th "best" OC in the country and the guy that got shut out in the CFP semi-final. So, you don't have much room to talk.
01-06-2017 11:12 PM
Advertisement

Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

(01-06-2017 11:12 PM)Kronke Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 10:08 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  Here's a good look at D'Onofrio's red line defense:

WTF is the "red line"?

"Your" (in quotes because you went to UCF, and are a UT t-shirt fan) Longhorns hired an entire G5 staff with the exception of the 128th "best" OC in the country and the guy that got shut out in the CFP semi-final. So, you don't have much room to talk.

Red zone/goal line, my bad.

Don't act like you know me if you don't actually know anything about me. I went to undergrad at UCF and am currently a grad student at UT-Austin. If you thought about it, that's the most reasonable explanation why my LOCATION is listed as the University of Texas. Does being a grad student make me a t-shirt fan in your book? If so, what exactly do you consider a t-shirt fan to be?
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2017 11:25 PM by Insane_Baboon.)
01-06-2017 11:15 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(01-06-2017 11:15 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  

WTF is the "red line"?

Don't act like you know me if you don't actually know anything about me. I went to undergrad at UCF and am currently a grad student at UT-Austin. If you thought about it, that's the most reasonable explanation why my LOCATION is listed as the University of Texas. Does being a grad student make me a t-shirt fan in your book? If so, what exactly do you consider a t-shirt fan to be?

Pretty much.

Unless you're in something competitive like the law school, you're basically just backdooring and pretending your way into a school that you couldn't otherwise get into.

#notimpressed
01-06-2017 11:30 PM
Insane_Baboon Offline
1st String

(01-06-2017 11:30 PM)Kronke Wrote:  

WTF is the "red line"?

Pretty much.

Unless you're in something competitive like the law school, you're basically just backdooring and pretending your way into a school that you couldn't otherwise get into.

#notimpressed

My program is as competitive (and similarly ranked) as the law school, so thanks for validating me. 04-cheers
01-06-2017 11:35 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

(01-06-2017 11:35 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  

WTF is the "red line"?

Pretty much.

#notimpressed

My program is as competitive (and similarly ranked) as the law school, so thanks for validating me. 04-cheers

Doubt it.
01-06-2017 11:37 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(01-06-2017 10:08 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  Here's a good look at D'Onofrio's red zone defense:

Lol....Hard to explain that. Lord help us. Looks like alcohol sales will be up in my section of TDECU in 2017.
01-07-2017 10:34 AM
BigEastHomer Offline
Banned

I Root For:
(01-07-2017 10:34 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(01-06-2017 10:08 PM)Insane_Baboon Wrote:  Here's a good look at D'Onofrio's red zone defense:

Lol....Hard to explain that. Lord help us. Looks like alcohol sales will be up in my section of TDECU in 2017.

If we wanted a hungry coach, we probably couldnt have picked a guy with a bigger chip on his shoulder and out to prove people wrong. So there's that.

The guy has shown himself capable in the past. So there's that.

He can earn a lot of points by finishing off this class strong. Being away from Golden will change him as well, hopefully for the better.

I'm not concerned. He was hired because he checked a lot of boxes. We needed someone to bring the intensity that Orlando did, with a similar schematic perspective, and with a record of getting DLinemen ready for the next level.

The list of guys who meet that criteria - who would be available - is very short. If the scuttlebutt is accurate that Orlando was going to choose him as well (which is highly probable given his similar coach twitter follows to Major leading up to the HC announcement) then I think we got our guy.

We're staying true to a formula that's worked. I have no problem with that.
01-07-2017 11:01 AM
taximan1 Offline
2nd String

Terrible coordinator. He along with Al Goldens loyalty cost Golden his job
01-07-2017 02:29 PM
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2017 02:29 PM)taximan1 Wrote:  Terrible coordinator. He along with Al Goldens loyalty cost Golden his job

I was asking about his tenure at Temple.

You know, when Golden and D'Onofrio inherited a winless Temple squad who gave up 45.3 points per game in 2005.

By year 2, the defense gave up 26.3 points. Then 23.1 points in Year 3. Then 22.3 points in Year 4. Then 19.1 points in Year 5.

Surely, I would have thought Temple fans would have warm feelings about the job he did there . . .
01-07-2017 03:47 PM
Advertisement

fishpro1098 Offline
All American

Picture says it all. Good recruiter, poor tactician and game day coach. Surprised he cut the umbilical cord from Al Golden. Good luck.

01-07-2017 08:26 PM
fishpro1098 Offline
All American

(01-07-2017 03:47 PM)CougarRed Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 02:29 PM)taximan1 Wrote:  Terrible coordinator. He along with Al Goldens loyalty cost Golden his job

I was asking about his tenure at Temple.

You know, when Golden and D'Onofrio inherited a winless Temple squad who gave up 45.3 points per game in 2005.

By year 2, the defense gave up 26.3 points. Then 23.1 points in Year 3. Then 22.3 points in Year 4. Then 19.1 points in Year 5.

Surely, I would have thought Temple fans would have warm feelings about the job he did there . . .

Recruited good under-the-radar talent. Played in the MAC with Mid level CUSA 1.0 recruits. Got exposed in the ACC when the talent disparity was not that great.

01-07-2017 08:31 PM
CyberBull Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF

WTF is the "red line"?

Pretty much.

#notimpressed

Most graduate school programs are very competitive to gain admission, especially at UT-Austin. Hello.......?01-wingedeagle
01-08-2017 11:06 AM
HoustonRocks Offline
1st String

I Root For: HoustonCougars
NCAA penalties probably had a huge impact on Miami. It was notified in 2011 and penalties were imposed in 2013. Impact on recruiting?
01-08-2017 11:58 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(01-07-2017 11:01 AM)BigEastHomer Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 10:34 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

If we wanted a hungry coach, we probably couldnt have picked a guy with a bigger chip on his shoulder and out to prove people wrong. So there's that.

The guy has shown himself capable in the past. So there's that.

He can earn a lot of points by finishing off this class strong. Being away from Golden will change him as well, hopefully for the better.

I'm not concerned. He was hired because he checked a lot of boxes. We needed someone to bring the intensity that Orlando did, with a similar schematic perspective, and with a record of getting DLinemen ready for the next level.

The list of guys who meet that criteria - who would be available - is very short. If the scuttlebutt is accurate that Orlando was going to choose him as well (which is highly probable given his similar coach twitter follows to Major leading up to the HC announcement) then I think we got our guy.

We're staying true to a formula that's worked. I have no problem with that.

Look at the picture I commented on. That's an option team...you know...like Navy......just saying
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 01:42 PM by Attackcoog.)
01-08-2017 01:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.