Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sports Monster - Jurkin
Bookmark and Share
ballerbucs Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: ETSU
Sports Monster - Jurkin
Coach Forbes was on the Sports Monster this am with Bobby and Kenny. Bobby asked him specifically about Jurkin's playing time. Not sure if you heard it, but this is what he said.

He told Bobby he wasn't going to discuss a specific individual's playing time with anyone but his players and his coaches. He went on to say he was more than willing to explain how playing time is determined for everyone on his team. He said they have had 100+ practices since June, a scrimmage, an exhibition game, and 14 games to help him determine playing time. He then went deeper into his explanation by saying playing time is determined each game based upon their opponent's style of play, match-ups, and the offensive and defensive game plan.

He talked about them having a deep and talented team and that playing time was very competitive. In addition, he mentioned that during each game their substitutions can change based on a player's performance, foul trouble, their opponent's adjustments, etc..... He said he liked the fact his team has shown the ability to win games vs. different styles of play. He said that was b/c of their depth and talent. At the end he said there are only 40 minutes available at each position, and some guys can to play multiple positions while others do not. He finished by saying that up until November his staff stats practice and ranks each player on the team at the end of the week. He said this was the way he determined playing time and would be the way he does it as long as he's the HC at ETSU.

Anyways, take from that what you'd like. Not sure why some of you obsess over this subject.
01-02-2017 05:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Bucfaithful Offline
Heisman

RE: Sports Monster - Jurkin
Clear explanation by Forbes - thanks for relaying.

I do take issue with the way in which you label conversations on this forum. Discussions are far more nuanced and mutually inclusive than your labels suggest. Incidentally, even if some did "obsess", I, for one, enjoy obsessing about this team.
01-02-2017 05:47 PM
ballerbucs Offline
Water Engineer

(01-02-2017 05:47 PM)Bucfaithful Wrote:  Clear explanation by Forbes - thanks for relaying.

I do take issue with the way in which you label conversations on this forum. Discussions are far more nuanced and mutually inclusive than your labels suggest. Incidentally, even if some did "obsess", I, for one, enjoy obsessing about this team.

This team just won their last 2 games easily by 20+, is 11-3...7 of 9 D1 wins are by double digits, but in the Savannah State and VMI threads there is like 6 pages devoted to a non-issue. Was glad Forbes got asked that question this morning when I was listening. I laughed and was eager to share with 'the experts'
01-02-2017 06:44 PM
brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(01-02-2017 05:03 PM)ballerbucs Wrote:  Anyways, take from that what you'd like. Not sure why some of you obsess over this subject.

Board participation is voluntary. You are more than welcome to delete your account and you will not have to worry about reading any negative comments. Heck, most haven't even been negative, just questions and discussions.

This is one of the biggest sunshine pumping boards I have been a part of. Almost all positive posts. You are going to have a wake up call in the future.
01-02-2017 07:54 PM
etsubuc Offline
All American

ETSU has the best and most dedicated basketball fan base in the conference, though not near what it was several years ago. Seems like every coach, staff, athletic director, etc. would be thrilled with our fan base. One of the groups of fans currently sitting around me cancelled their season tickets the moment Murry Bartow criticized fans for leaving early- and only renewed them when Forbes was hired. As has been mentioned before, I don't think anyone involved in the athletic department wants to take our fan base for granted.

Having said that, I am pleased with Forbes' response to Bobby's question and overall am pleased with the team's performance so far. The VMI game in particular was probably one of the best performances of the season, even taking into consideration the opponent.
01-02-2017 08:18 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

(01-02-2017 05:03 PM)ballerbucs Wrote:  Coach Forbes was on the Sports Monster this am with Bobby and Kenny. Bobby asked him specifically about Jurkin's playing time. Not sure if you heard it, but this is what he said.

He told Bobby he wasn't going to discuss a specific individual's playing time with anyone but his players and his coaches. He went on to say he was more than willing to explain how playing time is determined for everyone on his team. He said they have had 100+ practices since June, a scrimmage, an exhibition game, and 14 games to help him determine playing time. He then went deeper into his explanation by saying playing time is determined each game based upon their opponent's style of play, match-ups, and the offensive and defensive game plan.

He talked about them having a deep and talented team and that playing time was very competitive. In addition, he mentioned that during each game their substitutions can change based on a player's performance, foul trouble, their opponent's adjustments, etc..... He said he liked the fact his team has shown the ability to win games vs. different styles of play. He said that was b/c of their depth and talent. At the end he said there are only 40 minutes available at each position, and some guys can to play multiple positions while others do not. He finished by saying that up until November his staff stats practice and ranks each player on the team at the end of the week. He said this was the way he determined playing time and would be the way he does it as long as he's the HC at ETSU.

Anyways, take from that what you'd like. Not sure why some of you obsess over this subject.

Thank you for your report, and that's *exactly* what I knew Forbes would say, and unless there was an injury previously undisclosed, that's exactly what he *should* say. It doesn't solve the 'mystery', altho as I said earlier, and now more or less confirmed, Jurkin (and probably the rest of the team) know the answer, whatever it is.
01-03-2017 01:49 AM
Advertisement

squeak Offline
1st String

I Root For:
In this day and time, it's refreshing to see Jurkin being a team player without taking his ball and going home.
01-03-2017 05:48 AM
CaptainJackAubrey Offline
Special Teams

(01-02-2017 08:18 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  ETSU has the best and most dedicated basketball fan base in the conference,

We don't. Not even close.

I LOVE me some ETSU. Like for real. I even have Forbes' picture in my office.

But our fanbase is not the most dedicated, even though in my opinion we are up there. I know our attendance is pretty solid. But to be fair Freedom Hall is not located in Cullowee, NC or Lexington, VA...so that helps. And I do like our fans and we are on the upswing.

BUT, I went to the Furman game last year and was HUMBLED at their fan base.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 04:35 PM by CaptainJackAubrey.)
01-03-2017 04:34 PM
BucFan1244 Offline
Special Teams

(01-03-2017 04:34 PM)CaptainJackAubrey Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 08:18 PM)etsubuc Wrote:  ETSU has the best and most dedicated basketball fan base in the conference,

We don't. Not even close.

I LOVE me some ETSU. Like for real. I even have Forbes' picture in my office.

But our fanbase is not the most dedicated, even though in my opinion we are up there. I know our attendance is pretty solid. But to be fair Freedom Hall is not located in Cullowee, NC or Lexington, VA...so that helps. And I do like our fans and we are on the upswing.

BUT, I went to the Furman game last year and was HUMBLED at their fan base.

We have by far the largest fan base in the southern conference. You can not deny that.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 05:14 PM by BucFan1244.)
01-03-2017 05:14 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
BucFan1244 Wrote:  We have by far the largest fan base in the southern conference. You can not deny that.

Lol Nope
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2017 06:47 PM by RodShaw2.)
01-03-2017 06:46 PM
GoBucsGo Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Attendance-wise, according to the NCAA, we're third in the SoCon on average, and more than twice that of Furman. Chattanooga and Mercer had higher averages, but not by a whole lot (~500).

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketba...d/2016.pdf
01-03-2017 08:05 PM
Advertisement

brock20 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Laundry
(01-03-2017 08:05 PM)GoBucsGo Wrote:  Attendance-wise, according to the NCAA, we're third in the SoCon on average, and more than twice that of Furman. Chattanooga and Mercer had higher averages, but not by a whole lot (~500).

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketba...d/2016.pdf

With the UT game sellout we should lead the socon in attendance this coming year.
01-03-2017 08:35 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Thing is he didn't say basketball fans (even though I knew that really wasn't true either) he said fans.
>football attendance anyone?
01-04-2017 12:59 AM
BucFan1244 Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2017 12:59 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Thing is he didn't say basketball fans (even though I knew that really wasn't true either) he said fans.

I thought I was on the basketball sub section of the forum...
01-04-2017 02:18 AM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-04-2017 02:18 AM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 12:59 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  Thing is he didn't say basketball fans (even though I knew that really wasn't true either) he said fans.

Yeah and were still wrong about that.
01-04-2017 02:32 AM
BucFan1244 Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2017 02:32 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  

ETSU has the largest fan BASE out of anyone. Just not making it to the games as well as others.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2017 02:43 AM by BucFan1244.)
01-04-2017 02:43 AM
Advertisement

RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(01-04-2017 02:43 AM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  

ETSU has the largest fan BASE out of anyone. Just not making it to the games as well as others.

How do you make that claim and even HOPE to back it up?
Since those other schools have a much larger base of overall fans who
are actually willing to attend events it seems like they have a chance to draw more fans to basketball games.

Chattanooga has a long and proud history (and more recent) in basketball and has always drawn well. I would say going back for last several years they have outdrawn ETSU.
01-04-2017 10:54 AM
BucFan1244 Offline
Special Teams

(01-04-2017 10:54 AM)RodShaw2 Wrote:  
(01-04-2017 02:43 AM)BucFan1244 Wrote:  

How do you make that claim and even HOPE to back it up?
Since those other schools have a much larger base of overall fans who
are actually willing to attend events it seems like they have a chance to draw more fans to basketball games.

Chattanooga has a long and proud history (and more recent) in basketball and has always drawn well. I would say going back for last several years they have outdrawn ETSU.

Chattanooga fans are just a fad
01-04-2017 04:57 PM
CaptainJackAubrey Offline
Special Teams

Saying we have the best fan BASE but they just don't attend games ... is like saying we are the best TEAM but we don't always win games.

Sure there is a little more to a fan base than attendance. Like donations or longevity. But attendance is the starting place.

Speaking of Freedom Hall...been good so far this year! Fans are a little louder than last year. Little more life in the building. And I REALLY like the kiss cam. Imma get lucky soon.
01-04-2017 06:57 PM
Bucs06 Offline
2nd String

(01-04-2017 06:57 PM)CaptainJackAubrey Wrote:  Saying we have the best fan BASE but they just don't attend games ... is like saying we are the best TEAM but we don't always win games.

Sure there is a little more to a fan base than attendance. Like donations or longevity. But attendance is the starting place.

Speaking of Freedom Hall...been good so far this year! Fans are a little louder than last year. Little more life in the building. And I REALLY like the kiss cam. Imma get lucky soon.

I've been really lucky. The kiss cam gets the couple that sits beside us or near us every game but never lands on my wife and I. My wife gets so mad (I do an internal happy dance).02-13-banana
01-04-2017 07:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.