Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

College Football Committe rules on Clemson-Ohio State
Bookmark and Share
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
College Football Committe rules on Clemson-Ohio State
The College Football Committee said today "We know Clemson beat Ohio State 31-0 yesterday but head to head results don't really factor into our decision making process and we just think Ohio State has the better overall resume so they will play in the national championship game vs. Alabama".
01-01-2017 10:21 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU
RE: College Football Committe rules on Clemson-Ohio State
(01-01-2017 10:21 PM)NIU1981 Wrote:  The College Football Committee said today "We know Clemson beat Ohio State 31-0 yesterday but head to head results don't really factor into our decision making process and we just think Ohio State has the better overall resume so they will play in the national championship game vs. Alabama".

I know Penn State played it chin up with the "we are glad to be going to the Rose Bowl", but it will be interesting to see how motivated they are after watching Ohio State lay that egg.

I'm sure deep down (and maybe not too deep) that they felt jilted about not being in the playoff after winning the B10 and beating Ohio State.

My guess is that they come out flat and appear like they think they should be somewhere else.
01-01-2017 10:30 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
What a joke of a playoff system, 31-0 and 24-7. Two uncompetitive games. If WMU loses to Wisconsin we'll have to hear about how they didn't belong on this board and national media but no one talks about the two garbage games that were just played.
01-02-2017 09:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

Ohio St was the right choice and it wasn't even close.

Ohio St lost by 3 (only loss) at Penn St and there was a huge passing interference non-call on the Buckeyes final drive.

Penn St got smoked by 39(!!!) against Michigan and lost at a solid but not great Pitt team.

In the non-conference department, Ohio St smacked around an (currently #7) Oklahoma team by 21 in Norman.

It doesn't matter if Penn St wins by 100 against USC, Ohio St was the correct choice.
01-02-2017 09:20 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

I Root For: Chicago
(01-02-2017 09:20 AM)PrideinthePack2 Wrote:  Ohio St was the right choice and it wasn't even close.

Ohio St lost by 3 (only loss) at Penn St and there was a huge passing interference non-call on the Buckeyes final drive.

Penn St got smoked by 39(!!!) against Michigan and lost at a solid but not great Pitt team.

In the non-conference department, Ohio St smacked around an (currently #7) Oklahoma team by 21 in Norman.

It doesn't matter if Penn St wins by 100 against USC, Ohio St was the correct choice.

My only argument to that is when the Big 12 is penalized for not having a Conference Championship Game. The first year of the CFP no one from the Big 12 made it, and many arguments were because they did not have a championship game like the rest of the P5 leagues. Now that Ohio State doesn't qualify for Big Ten championship game, that point doesn't apply to them. Seems a little hypocritical and I have a hard time believing the committee would give the same preferential treatment if Indiana, Purdue, Illini or NU failed to make the game with the same schedule and outcomes as OSU. If OSU won the national championship, but did not win their own conference (which now looks a tad overrated with the bowl schedule) it wouldn't make a lot of sense.
01-02-2017 10:04 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(01-02-2017 09:20 AM)PrideinthePack2 Wrote:  Ohio St was the right choice and it wasn't even close.

Penn State was the correct choice.

Penn State won the head-to-head AND won the B10 Championship. Their loss to Michigan was early in the year. The committee overlooked Ohio State's loss IN COLUMBUS in 2014 to a mediocre VaTech team for that very reason. Don't even start about officiating. Ohio State also benefitted from questionable calls in their game against Michigan.

The problem is the committee's shifting selection criteria. The "selection protocol" is so vague, it can be used to justify anything they want it to.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2017 10:14 AM by huskiebob.)
01-02-2017 10:11 AM
Advertisement

MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Sounds like you are finely seeing the light on this huskiebob
01-02-2017 10:30 AM
NIU1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Peace & Equity
(01-02-2017 10:11 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  

Penn State won the head-to-head AND won the B10 Championship. Their loss to Michigan was early in the year. The committee overlooked Ohio State's loss IN COLUMBUS in 2014 to a mediocre VaTech team for that very reason. Don't even start about officiating. Ohio State also benefitted from questionable calls in their game against Michigan.

The problem is the committee's shifting selection criteria. The "selection protocol" is so vague, it can be used to justify anything they want it to.

Agreed, hence my only slightly facetious post above about the committee sending Ohio State to the championship game instead of Clemson. It's no different than what they did to Penn State. They could make an argument right now that Ohio State has a better resume than Clemson. When does that stop and head to head matter.

For those who are still not convinced let's try a little thought experiment and change the names Penn State/Ohio State to Ohio State/Rutgers. Suppose Ohio State had Penn State's exact resume this year and Rutgers had Ohio State's. Does anyone really believe the committee would say I know Ohio State beat Rutgers head to head and went on to win the Big Ten championship but we just believe Rutgers has the better overall resume so we're sending Rutgers to the playoffs instead of Ohio State.
01-02-2017 10:36 AM
UIHuskie Offline
All American

I Root For: Illinois
(01-02-2017 10:11 AM)huskiebob Wrote:  The problem is the committee's shifting selection criteria. The "selection protocol" is so vague, it can be used to justify anything they want it to.

Yep, that's a huge issue, as is the fact that the best teams aren't always the most deserving and the most deserving aren't always the best teams. The committee's job is nearly impossible, especially in a sport where the sample sizes are exceedingly small (and the best team doesn't always win anyway) and the schedules aren't even remotely comparable in a lot of cases.
01-02-2017 10:40 AM
huskiebob Offline
Heisman

Donators
(01-02-2017 10:36 AM)NIU1981 Wrote:  

Agreed, hence my only slightly facetious post above about the committee sending Ohio State to the championship game instead of Clemson. It's no different than what they did to Penn State. They could make an argument right now that Ohio State has a better resume than Clemson. When does that stop and head to head matter.

For those who are still not convinced let's try a little thought experiment and change the names Penn State/Ohio State to Ohio State/Rutgers. Suppose Ohio State had Penn State's exact resume this year and Rutgers had Ohio State's. Does anyone really believe the committee would say I know Ohio State beat Rutgers head to head and went on to win the Big Ten championship but we just believe Rutgers has the better overall resume so we're sending Rutgers to the playoffs instead of Ohio State.

I definitely appreciated your OP. Made me laugh!

You are definitely right on about what would have happened if the teams were reversed. The committee still would have found a way to justify selecting Ohio St.
01-02-2017 10:42 AM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

Nope. Ohio St was the correct choice. You're just playing the result.
01-02-2017 10:47 AM
Advertisement

cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball

Is that grape or strawberry kool aid you drinking??? ... Buckeyes should have lost to Northwestern and Michigan as well, and probably would have lost to Wisconsin at the end of the season in the B10 title game ... if they actually earned it. ... Penn State won vs. Ohio State and the B10 title game ... OSU may be the sexy pick ... but they didn't win when it mattered. ... and it showed.

Penn State may be/have been the underdog ... but that is the key element of sports ... the underdog rising up to conquer ...

OSU drank its own kool-aid and choked on it.
01-02-2017 10:49 AM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

"SHOULD HAVE" lost to Northwestern and Michigan...but they didn't.

"PROBABLY WOULD HAVE" lost to Wisconsin...but they didn't.

Making hypotheticals is fun but it's not a practical way to pick teams. Penn St would have made the Final 4 if they didn't lay an egg against Pitt.
01-02-2017 10:54 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

Link

Interesting article about the 2014 TCU team that was left out of the playoffs because the Big 12 doesn't have a title game. That TCU team went from a 3 ranking to a 6 ranking in a week span after beating Iowa State 55-3.

From the article:

On the College Football Playoff website, under the heading "How to select the four best teams," it reads "the following criteria must be considered" - listed in this order:
-- Championships won;
-- Strength of schedule;
-- Head-to-head competition;
-- Comparative outcomes of common opponents.
01-02-2017 11:16 AM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

They're 124 voters in the AP/Coaches Poll combined, and both polls had Ohio St at #2. So let's not pretend this was some kind of huge snubbing.

There definitely was chatter after the season about Penn St's case, much of it outlined in this thread, but it would have been a far bigger snub and newsworthy story if Ohio St didn't make it.

ESPN had a "Who should be in college football playoff?" question at the conclusion of the season and 74% had Ohio St in the Final Four and 42% had Penn St. People pretty clearly favored Ohio St.

And this isn't even a Ohio St or Penn St argument. Technically Ohio St was #3 in the CFP poll so it should be a Washington or Penn St argument.

This is the kind of discussion to have after the season ends. Not after semifinal games are played. I guarantee this thread wouldn't have been made if Ohio St won.
01-02-2017 11:27 AM
Big_Man Offline
Destroyer

That 2014 TCU had 1 loss to #5 Baylor. They were penalized because they lacked the Championship game win. The 2014 OSU team lost to a 6-6 VaTech team and made the playoff because they won the Big Ten Championship game.
01-02-2017 11:29 AM
Advertisement

DogPoundNorth Offline
Coach Carey Loves His Wife

(01-02-2017 11:29 AM)Big_Man Wrote:  That 2014 TCU had 1 loss to #5 Baylor. They were penalized because they lacked the Championship game win. The 2014 OSU team lost to a 6-6 VaTech team and made the playoff because they won the Big Ten Championship game.

Also had one loss this year and made it without a championship game.....

They did lose to the team that won the big ten of course
01-02-2017 11:30 AM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

(01-02-2017 11:29 AM)Big_Man Wrote:  That 2014 TCU had 1 loss to #5 Baylor. They were penalized because they lacked the Championship game win. The 2014 OSU team lost to a 6-6 VaTech team and made the playoff because they won the Big Ten Championship game.

In regards to picking the four best teams it's hard to argue. Ohio St beat the top 2 teams in the country.
01-02-2017 11:34 AM
PrideinthePack2 Offline
Special Teams

(01-02-2017 11:16 AM)Big_Man Wrote:  Link

Interesting article about the 2014 TCU team that was left out of the playoffs because the Big 12 doesn't have a title game. That TCU team went from a 3 ranking to a 6 ranking in a week span after beating Iowa State 55-3.

From the article:

On the College Football Playoff website, under the heading "How to select the four best teams," it reads "the following criteria must be considered" - listed in this order:
-- Championships won;
-- Strength of schedule;
-- Head-to-head competition;
-- Comparative outcomes of common opponents.

I'm sure they considered the criteria, and yet they still chose Ohio St. The key word is "considered".
01-02-2017 11:36 AM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I had no problem with Ohio st. They had the better resume. Penn st had the h2h and conf champ. Arguments can be made both ways. What I don't like is rendering a conference championship meaningless. Get rid of them if that's the case. Go to a Big12 format and have it decided in the regular season. Now you have an extra week to make 8 team playoff with 5 conf champs, a G5 rep and two at large(no one can complain about exemption if you didn't win your conf. Hell, take 4 candidates and choose 2 of them lottery style.)
01-02-2017 11:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.