Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Can someone explain how WMU
Bookmark and Share
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
Can someone explain how WMU
doesn't deserve to be in this playoff thing more than OSU?
12-31-2016 09:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Rocket_Fanatic Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo!
RE: Can someone explain how WMU
People laugh about an 8 or 16 team playoff but we just return the favor when one these immortal programs gets embarrassed on national tv
(This post was last modified: 12-31-2016 10:43 PM by Rocket_Fanatic.)
12-31-2016 10:43 PM
perimeterpost Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
The B1G has been outscored in playoff games the past 2 years 69-0, will Kirk Herbstreit go on a rant about how the B1G doesn't deserve to play in CFP games?
12-31-2016 11:11 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

If WMU beats Wisconsin they better be top 5.
12-31-2016 11:25 PM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
Their best wins on the season were Ohio, Toledo, and maybe Northwestern. Zero wins against the Top 25. It's pretty simple.
01-01-2017 12:39 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(12-31-2016 11:11 PM)perimeterpost Wrote:  The B1G has been outscored in playoff games the past 2 years 69-0, will Kirk Herbstreit go on a rant about how the B1G doesn't deserve to play in CFP games?

B1G football shouldn't extend beyond Dec 28 (give or take). 03-lmfao
01-01-2017 04:59 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(01-01-2017 12:39 AM)utpotts Wrote:  Their best wins on the season were Ohio, Toledo, and maybe Northwestern. Zero wins against the Top 25. It's pretty simple.

They lost 31-0. 31-0. Thirty-one to nothing. So far the teams that were their "best wins" have lost, too. Maybe WMU loses huge and proves they don't belong but OSU certainly didn't belong.
01-01-2017 05:55 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(01-01-2017 12:39 AM)utpotts Wrote:  Their best wins on the season were Ohio, Toledo, and maybe Northwestern. Zero wins against the Top 25. It's pretty simple.

OSU beat Northwestern 24-20 in Columbus. WMU won in Evanston 22-21.
01-01-2017 12:24 PM
MidnightBlueGold Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TOL-EDO
In the 3 years (6 games) of the college football playoff, the semi-finals have had an average margin of victory of 25.3. 03-lmfao
01-01-2017 01:58 PM
axeme Offline
Sage

I Root For: hoops

Folding@NCAAbbsDonatorsCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
The outcome of the game doesn't reflect on whether a team should be in the game. Whether or not you thought OSU should have been in the playoffs or not is one thing, but whether they won or lost once there is a completely separate outcome. An undeserving team could win the same as a deserving team could lose. The winner of the NIT didn't prove they belonged in the NCAA.
01-01-2017 06:42 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(01-01-2017 06:42 PM)axeme Wrote:  The outcome of the game doesn't reflect on whether a team should be in the game. Whether or not you thought OSU should have been in the playoffs or not is one thing, but whether they won or lost once there is a completely separate outcome. An undeserving team could win the same as a deserving team could lose. The winner of the NIT didn't prove they belonged in the NCAA.

Can't agree. It shouldn't be the sole factor, but it lends support to the notion that they didn't belong. Most years the winner of the NIT is better than some of the auto qualifiers so I don't agree with that either.
(This post was last modified: 01-01-2017 11:09 PM by H2Oville Rocket.)
01-01-2017 11:09 PM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Might as well have crowned Bama the champ and had a playoff with the next 4... Oklahoma vs. Clemson and Ohio State vs. Washington in the semi's...

This is just a weird year where you either had non conference champs, or 2 loss teams in the final 4. You couldn't draw up a more even 2 through 12.
01-02-2017 01:11 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
What a joke of a playoff system, 31-0 and 24-7. Two uncompetitive games. If WMU loses to Wisconsin we'll have to hear about how they didn't belong in national media but no one talks about the two garbage games that were just played.
01-02-2017 09:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
axeme Offline
Sage

(01-01-2017 11:09 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 06:42 PM)axeme Wrote:  The outcome of the game doesn't reflect on whether a team should be in the game. Whether or not you thought OSU should have been in the playoffs or not is one thing, but whether they won or lost once there is a completely separate outcome. An undeserving team could win the same as a deserving team could lose. The winner of the NIT didn't prove they belonged in the NCAA.

Can't agree. It shouldn't be the sole factor, but it lends support to the notion that they didn't belong. Most years the winner of the NIT is better than some of the auto qualifiers so I don't agree with that either.

Yikes. I think that the auto bids for the mid and low major conferences are vital to the basketball tournament, and I would not like to see the the NCAA adopt the philosophy of the "best 68 teams" and make it all at-large. That NIT winner had all season to establish an NCAA tourney resume compared to other similar power conference and upper mid-major teams. That resume should not be compared to a say, Monmouth or some other smaller conference team who was an upset winner in their conference tourney. But perhaps we agree to disagree. Basketball is another animal than football because a team can play 3-4 games in a week if needed.

I still say you earn the right to play in either CFP or NCAA by whatever means that is used (and I know there is massive disagreement on that especially in football) but what happens after that does not mean the choice was justified or not. I don't understand the logic that says whoever Alabama and Clemson pounded did not belong. If the final game is a blowout, what does that say about the loser?
01-02-2017 10:14 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(01-02-2017 10:14 AM)axeme Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 11:09 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  

Yikes. I think that the auto bids for the mid and low major conferences are vital to the basketball tournament, and I would not like to see the the NCAA adopt the philosophy of the "best 68 teams" and make it all at-large. That NIT winner had all season to establish an NCAA tourney resume compared to other similar power conference and upper mid-major teams. That resume should not be compared to a say, Monmouth or some other smaller conference team who was an upset winner in their conference tourney. But perhaps we agree to disagree. Basketball is another animal than football because a team can play 3-4 games in a week if needed.

I still say you earn the right to play in either CFP or NCAA by whatever means that is used (and I know there is massive disagreement on that especially in football) but what happens after that does not mean the choice was justified or not. I don't understand the logic that says whoever Alabama and Clemson pounded did not belong. If the final game is a blowout, what does that say about the loser?

Given your definition of "belong" I back off from my NIT/NCAA disagreement. I meant that the NIT winner is almost always better than some auto bids. However, that stance sort of bolsters my argument against OSU. WMU had all season to lose a game. They didn't. They built their resume, won their conference playoff and, as Boca noted, had a "better" win against a common opponent. On top of that, they could certainly have performed as well as OSU did against Clemson. I do agree that football and basketball are very different but I didn't make the original comparison. Again, if I was saying that a typical 9-3 MAC Champ had as much right to the playoffs under the current system as an 11-1 OSU team I would be wrong. But WMU soundly beat every team they played. Here's hoping that string continues.
01-02-2017 10:32 AM
wleakr Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Eastern Mich
(01-02-2017 10:32 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  They built their resume, won their conference playoff and, as Boca noted, had a "better" win against a common opponent.

On top of that, they could certainly have performed as well as OSU did against Clemson.

But WMU soundly beat every team they played.

WMU built their resume off a lot of mid and low grade opponents.

Clemson would've probably scored a lot more against WMU compared to OSU.

And WMU did not "soundly beat" every team they played. But they got the "W" just the same.

I do hope for WMU to win, but with this being the strongest competitor they have faced this season, the wheels can come off quick. Most board members echo that Wisconsin has to basically not "show up" performance-wise for this to be close.
01-02-2017 11:04 AM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

(01-02-2017 11:04 AM)wleakr Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 10:32 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  They built their resume, won their conference playoff and, as Boca noted, had a "better" win against a common opponent.

On top of that, they could certainly have performed as well as OSU did against Clemson.

And WMU did not "soundly beat" every team they played. But they got the "W" just the same.

I do hope for WMU to win, but with this being the strongest competitor they have faced this season, the wheels can come off quick. Most board members echo that Wisconsin has to basically not "show up" performance-wise for this to be close.

Don't doubt Clemson would have scored more. Don't believe WMU wouldn't have scored, though, and I suspect the final disparity,would have been no greater. Obviously, I'm a MAC fan and that colors my opinion but we'll see tonight.
01-02-2017 11:31 AM
axeme Offline
Sage

(01-02-2017 11:31 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(01-02-2017 11:04 AM)wleakr Wrote:  

Don't doubt Clemson would have scored more. Don't believe WMU wouldn't have scored, though, and I suspect the final disparity,would have been no greater. Obviously, I'm a MAC fan and that colors my opinion but we'll see tonight.

Devil's advocate: while you are supposing results, how many teams in the country would be undefeated had they played WMU's schedule of unranked teams? (Maybe the question should be, how many teams are there whose only losses are to current top 25 teams?) 10? More?

I don't think record should be the major determining factor or no one would ever schedule a tough non-conference opponent.
01-02-2017 11:46 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
I think whether a team belonged in a game or not being determined by the margin of victory, should be the same question for G5 as it is for P5. That's all I ask.
01-02-2017 12:33 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
What kind of cowardly thread is this? OSU belonged and got stomped. MSU belonged last year and got stomped. It is what it is.
01-02-2017 01:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.