Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TubaCat Offline
1st Chair

I Root For: Bearcats, tubas
RE: I hope we didn't miss the boat ..
03-puke

12-29-2016 08:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MickMack Offline
All American

I Root For: UC!
(12-29-2016 08:51 PM)TubaCat Wrote:  03-puke

/thread

12-29-2016 08:59 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Quote:He is always good. Loud, smiling, overflowing with energy, the 54-year-old couldn't be anything but good.

That's why he'd make a great hire as a head coach for the right college program, one looking for a shot in the arm and a new lease on life.

Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck, 36, is a college football darling after leading the Broncos to a 13-0 record and a Cotton Bowl berth. He'll get a big job after next season.

Coombs is Fleck plus 18 years and with white hair.

I love everything that KC stands for and how he conducts himself on and off the field. But for cryin' out loud, to compare him to Fleck who's actually been a head coach with success on the collegiate level is just ridonkulous. Let's talk after he gains experience as Urb's new co-defensive coordinator.

12-29-2016 09:05 PM
CliftonAve Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(12-29-2016 09:05 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  
Quote:He is always good. Loud, smiling, overflowing with energy, the 54-year-old couldn't be anything but good.

That's why he'd make a great hire as a head coach for the right college program, one looking for a shot in the arm and a new lease on life.

Western Michigan coach P.J. Fleck, 36, is a college football darling after leading the Broncos to a 13-0 record and a Cotton Bowl berth. He'll get a big job after next season.

I love everything that KC stands for and how he conducts himself on and off the field. But for cryin' out loud, to compare him to Fleck who's actually been a head coach with success on the collegiate level is just ridonkulous. Let's talk after he gains experience as Urb's new co-defensive coordinator.

urban already hired UC alum Bill Martin as co-defensive coordinator.

Kind of tells you something doesn't it.

12-29-2016 09:13 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Bearcats
(12-29-2016 09:13 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  

Apparently not for some.

12-29-2016 09:15 PM
Advertisement

FenderCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC, Hillsdale
Is there a flood coming?

12-29-2016 09:25 PM
Nobones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
End of Days. Global Warming and the polar ice caps are melting.

12-29-2016 09:27 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(12-29-2016 09:15 PM)rtaylor Wrote:  

Apparently not for some.

I think many of you missed a main part of the Coombs/Fleck analogy. Fleck is probably already the greatest hire in WMU history. You know how many HC jobs he had when WMU hired him? Zero. You know how many coordinator jobs (including special teams) he held when he got the WMU job? Zero. Coombs at least has special teams coordinator experience at an elite program (along with tremendously successful head coaching experience at the highest level of HS football fwiw).

WMU took a chance on a guy that many of you here would have either scoffed at or been furious about had UC done something similar. It's paid off big time for them. By the way, I generically favored hiring an experienced HC for our job, but it's been proven to be folly to assume that lack of coordinator experience precludes success as a head coach. There is no definitive formula.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2016 12:00 AM by Bearhawkeye.)
12-29-2016 11:09 PM
AZBCAT Offline
1st String

Oh god/mods...please make it stop!!!

[Image: Terminator-2.jpg]

12-29-2016 11:16 PM
rtaylor Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2016 11:09 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  

Apparently not for some.

I think many of you missed a main part of the Coombs/Fleck comparison. Fleck is probably already the greatest hire in WMU history. You know how many HC jobs he had when WMU hired him? Zero. You know how many coordinator jobs (including special teams) he held when he got the WMU job? Zero. Coombs at least has special teams coordinator experience at an elite program (along with tremendously successful head coaching experience at the highest level of HS football fwiw).

WMU took a chance on a guy that many of you here would have either scoffed at or been furious about had UC done something similar. It's paid off big time for them. By the way, I generically favored hiring an experienced HC for our job, but it's been proven to be folly to assume that lack of coordinator experience precludes success as a head coach. There is no definitive formula.

I think the part of the article that was spot on was that Coombs would not make the leap to the kind of program that UC is. That if a MAC school that needed a shot in the arm in a few years came calling it would be a good fit. Big difference there.

12-29-2016 11:19 PM
Advertisement

rtaylor Offline
Heisman

(12-29-2016 09:27 PM)Nobones Wrote:  End of Days. Global Warming and the polar ice caps are melting.

I thought it was a reference to missing your cruise on the Titanic.

12-29-2016 11:21 PM
SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
(12-29-2016 11:16 PM)AZBCAT Wrote:  Oh god/mods...please make it stop!!!

[Image: Terminator-2.jpg]

[Image: 516BMcrKFrL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg]

12-29-2016 11:36 PM
subflea Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: Free Thinking

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs

Apparently not for some.

I think many of you missed a main part of the Coombs/Fleck comparison. Fleck is probably already the greatest hire in WMU history. You know how many HC jobs he had when WMU hired him? Zero. You know how many coordinator jobs (including special teams) he held when he got the WMU job? Zero. Coombs at least has special teams coordinator experience at an elite program (along with tremendously successful head coaching experience at the highest level of HS football fwiw).

MAC schools often hire head coaches without coordinator experience because their budgets force them to. We do not have a MAC level budget.

Sent from my SM-N920P using CSNbbs mobile app

12-29-2016 11:50 PM
Recluse1 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(12-29-2016 08:22 PM)chip Wrote:  Only time will tell.

Nice article on Kerry Coombs

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/12/ohi...is_pj.html

My first time seeing the Cleveland Plain Dealer, that title and the excerpt or two I've seen in the thread, has lead me to the following assessment of the material therein:

12-29-2016 11:53 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(12-29-2016 11:50 PM)subflea Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 09:05 PM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  I love everything that KC stands for and how he conducts himself on and off the field. But for cryin' out loud, to compare him to Fleck who's actually been a head coach with success on the collegiate level is just ridonkulous. Let's talk after he gains experience as Urb's new co-defensive coordinator.

Apparently not for some.

MAC schools often hire head coaches without coordinator experience because their budgets force them to. We do not have a MAC level budget.

Some WMU fans probably thought it was a DII budget type move as well at the time. Money is a factor, but it's not the determinate one. The fact is there are and were PLENTY of coaches with P5 coordinator experience who'd take a MAC HC job in a heartbeat. Heck, there's even plenty with P5 or G5 HC experience that would as well. It's more about finding the right match, skill projection and courage to think outside the box for your program.

In 2008, coming off a 5-11 season, the Baltimore Ravens hired a guy to be their head coach who had never been a HC at any level in his life. Not only that, he also had ZERO experience as an O or D coordinator at any level in his life. They went 11-5 his first year there and he became the only coach in NFL history to win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons. That 5th season under John Harbaugh they won the Super Bowl. It's not about budget.

(This post was last modified: 12-30-2016 12:22 AM by Bearhawkeye.)
12-30-2016 12:15 AM
Advertisement

rtaylor Offline
Heisman

(12-30-2016 12:15 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 11:50 PM)subflea Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 09:13 PM)CliftonAve Wrote:  urban already hired UC alum Bill Martin as co-defensive coordinator.

Apparently not for some.

Some WMU fans probably thought it was a DII budget type move as well at the time. Money is a factor, but it's not the determinate one. The fact is there are and were PLENTY of coaches with P5 coordinator experience who'd take a MAC HC job in a heartbeat. Heck, there's even plenty with P5 or G5 HC experience that would as well. It's more about finding the right match, skill projection and courage to think outside the box for your program.

In 2008, coming off a 5-11 season, the Baltimore Ravens hired a guy to be their head coach who had never been a HC at any level in his life. Not only that, he also had ZERO experience as an O or D coordinator at any level in his life. They went 11-5 his first year there and he became the only coach in NFL history to win a playoff game in each of his first five seasons. That 5th season under John Harbaugh they won the Super Bowl. It's not about budget.

Wow, great point. Pretty much one in a million there yes? Does not prove any point you are trying to make at all. Sorry, even the beat writers do not think Coombs is ready for a high level job, but keep tilting at windmills since we will never know. 07-coffee3

12-30-2016 01:00 AM
crex043 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
Maybe we can think of hiring Coombs for a coordinator position if he can stick at a school for three or more years without getting demoted from his position coach title. Until then, this guy may as well not exist since his love for all things Cincinnati is not all that pronounced as some on here have claimed.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using CSNbbs mobile app

12-30-2016 02:41 AM
Ring of Black Offline
Official Person to Blame

I Root For: Cincy Bearcats
The real question is, why is this still even a topic?

12-30-2016 05:30 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
As a position coach, Coombs has proven to be inadequate. DBs were the worst part of UC's teams when Coombs was here. It got so bad he was demoted to Cornerbacks. At OSU, DBs have typically been the weak link since Coombs took over.

He's a great recruiter and a sideline presence. But his coaching results speak for themselves.

12-30-2016 06:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.