UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dan D'Antoni Quote
jthrashr Offline
1st String

I Root For: UAB
Dan D'Antoni Quote
[Image: C00goezXcAEtWfB?format=jpg&name=large]

Now, contrast to our current offensive philosophy where we let Tosin use more than a handful of possessions every game pounding in the paint. Cokley is efficient enough in the post to be tenable, but even he is better facing the basket and moving downhill.

Our offense makes scoring much more difficult than necessary, and when our defense takes a step back, it makes every game that much more difficult.
12-29-2016 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
RE: Dan D'Antoni Quote
(12-29-2016 11:47 AM)jthrashr Wrote:  [Image: C00goezXcAEtWfB?format=jpg&name=large]

Now, contrast to our current offensive philosophy where we let Tosin use more than a handful of possessions every game pounding in the paint. Cokley is efficient enough in the post to be tenable, but even he is better facing the basket and moving downhill.

Our offense makes scoring much more difficult than necessary, and when our defense takes a step back, it makes every game that much more difficult.

Has he won any titles? Or anything relevant?
12-29-2016 01:34 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

I Root For: The U, UaB
(12-29-2016 01:34 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 11:47 AM)jthrashr Wrote:  [Image: C00goezXcAEtWfB?format=jpg&name=large]

Neither one has. Lol analytics

UAB needs two true bigs with these last scholarships (true centers).
12-29-2016 04:12 PM
UAB Band Dad Online
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
A couple of guys who could fill it up consistently from three wouldn't hurt either.
12-29-2016 06:07 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(12-29-2016 06:07 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  A couple of guys who could fill it up consistently from three wouldn't hurt either.

Its been missing around here since Vaden. I would actually look at HaHa and Gueye playing the three spot next year, only keeping six guards.
12-29-2016 07:14 PM
Advertisement

blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(12-29-2016 07:14 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 06:07 PM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  A couple of guys who could fill it up consistently from three wouldn't hurt either.

Its been missing around here since Vaden. I would actually look at HaHa and Gueye playing the three spot next year, only keeping six guards.

It's definitely been missing for a while. Sanders was after Vaden, right? We has pretty damn solid. Chad could light it up too when he was on. We haven't had that volume scorer we need in quite a while though.
12-29-2016 07:34 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(12-29-2016 07:34 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

It's definitely been missing for a while. Sanders was after Vaden, right? We has pretty damn solid. Chad could light it up too when he was on. We haven't had that volume scorer we need in quite a while though.

I dont look at Sanders as just a shooter. He and Chad scored multiple ways efficiently. I think we have the shooter on the roster. Not so sure we have the PD3,JaMarr,or Chad type of scorer, closest thing is Dirk or Deion.

Also on second thought i just heard the interview of the big from NY we could most definitely use him and one true center fifth year guy.
12-29-2016 08:50 PM
BlazerPhil Offline
Administrator of Comedy

I Root For: Birmingham U.
Folding@NCAAbbs
(12-29-2016 08:50 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  

I dont look at Sanders as just a shooter. He and Chad scored multiple ways efficiently. I think we have the shooter on the roster. Not so sure we have the PD3,JaMarr,or Chad type of scorer, closest thing is Dirk or Deion.

Also on second thought i just heard the interview of the big from NY we could most definitely use him and one true center fifth year guy.

(12-28-2016 02:30 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  We need another long wing player in the 2017 class.

I work with Myle's Dad. The kid has a high BB IQ to go with his skill set and makes great grades. And he is still growing.

How about a 6'8" wing that shoots 40% from 3 ?
12-30-2016 09:27 AM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(12-30-2016 09:27 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 08:50 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  

(12-28-2016 02:30 PM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  We need another long wing player in the 2017 class.

I work with Myle's Dad. The kid has a high BB IQ to go with his skill set and makes great grades. And he is still growing.

How about a 6'8" wing that shoots 40% from 3 ?

That could be HaHa and Gueye if we played them that way honestly.

If he does well in a prep school setting i would give him a look.
12-30-2016 02:01 PM
Advertisement

jthrashr Offline
1st String

We've given up 104 three-pointers in 12 games. I don't believe D'Antoni is the only coach that thinks this way.
01-01-2017 02:41 PM
jthrashr Offline
1st String

(12-29-2016 04:12 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  

Dismiss analytics if you want, but all the good coaches use it, or they at least play a style that is agreeable with the numbers.

I do agree that we need a true center, but mostly for defense and rebounding. On offense, the center should be setting screens, catching lobs, and rebounding; otherwise, stay out of the paint.
01-01-2017 02:50 PM
BAMANBLAZERFAN Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB & Bama

BlazerTalk Award
Giving up 104 threes in 12 games is 312 points over that span. Analytics or not, that is almost 25 points per game from that source alone we must overcome in order to win. All sport tactics are based upon figuring what our team can do to defeat the opponent with the talent we have. Any suggestion that we can improve our record by changing our tactics is worth consideration.
01-01-2017 03:22 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(01-01-2017 02:50 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  

Dismiss analytics if you want, but all the good coaches use it, or they at least play a style that is agreeable with the numbers.

I do agree that we need a true center, but mostly for defense and rebounding. On offense, the center should be setting screens, catching lobs, and rebounding; otherwise, stay out of the paint.

Or actually develope low post moves or ways to get to the line. Get some pick and pops going with Smallwood. Not sure we could pick and roll well but a little more in and out instead of have a good rebounder at the three on a missed shot.

If we actually shot the ball well i could see a center playing that way, but why recruit Smallwood.
01-01-2017 04:15 PM
Advertisement

jthrashr Offline
1st String

True, but Dirk and Haha are better than average shooters. Even with limited attempts, Nate looks like he could be an elite shooter. Watts is serviceable, and against all odds, even Hak shooting a respectable percentage.

I know Ehsan isn't going to drastically change the offense this season (I thought he would this offseason), but we have the personnel to play a more efficient brand of offense now. Haha is a stretch big that other coaches covet. In a D'Antoni style, spread offense, Haha would average 20+ points a gameā€”all from lobs off the pick and roll or from three-pointers. That's Hana's skill set. He's not ever going to be the type of player that creates his own shot, and that's fine. However, I wish we catered our offense to suit the strengths of our likely best player.

Still, an efficient offense doesn't mean every shot attempt should be behind the arc. The system should be about getting movement toward the rim for layups and free-throws. Our current system does an equally poor job of generating layups as open three-pointers, and the lack of movement places a lot of pressure on our guards. How many times have you seen Hak post his guy up just to receive a perimeter pass? Or how many times do you see us force a pass, only to have a defender jump the passing lane? When there's no movement and few screens, it makes it really easy for the defense, and forces us to take tough shots late into the shot clock.
01-01-2017 05:42 PM
jthrashr Offline
1st String

(01-01-2017 04:15 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  

Or actually develope low post moves or ways to get to the line. Get some pick and pops going with Smallwood. Not sure we could pick and roll well but a little more in and out instead of have a good rebounder at the three on a missed shot.

If we actually shot the ball well i could see a center playing that way, but why recruit Smallwood.

Only the best centers warrant more than a handful of touches on the low block, and they're still taking fewer and fewer post attempts. Marc Gasol, arguably the best center in the NBA, is taking about 4 three-pointers a game this season.
01-01-2017 05:52 PM
Big Dee Offline
Banned

(01-01-2017 05:52 PM)jthrashr Wrote:  
(01-01-2017 04:15 PM)Big Dee Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 01:34 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  Has he won any titles? Or anything relevant?

Only the best centers warrant more than a handful of touches on the low block, and they're still taking fewer and fewer post attempts. Marc Gasol, arguably the best center in the NBA, is taking about 4 three-pointers a game this season.

Because its an uptempo league nobody slows it down. I dont think we have bigs for this outside of Smallwood maybe. We dont have athletic bigs who can catch lobs and finish. Or bigs that demand the ball down low, we rely on a average backcourt too much.

Lucky us we have a 7fter who can shoot 3s but he doesnt play much. He doesnt need much outside of a hook shot if he can get position under the basket.
01-02-2017 12:56 PM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies

Dan D'Antoni Explains Analytics

Reading it was fun, watching Dan explain it is epic. There isn't a mic that Dan has ever met that he didn't like, No coach speak, no avoiding questions. Just straight forward honest answers.
01-09-2017 12:29 AM
jthrashr Offline
1st String

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the...o-college/

Buried in the article is some insight into the preparation that D'Antoni's team does before and after games. All the players look at the plus/minus stats for each game in addition to Synergy's camera tracking data.

Anyone have any insight as to what we do?
02-21-2017 11:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.