Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Group of 5 officials discussing a playoff separate from current 4 team playoff
First Mate Offline
1st String

I Root For: ECU
http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...er-5-teams

Interesting read- Aresco is emphatic that we are not in favor. I do agree with a lot of the points the Northern Illinois AD makes.

The truth is the Power 5 have created the current system for them and not the other schools. They have no intention of ever letting one of the outside schools play for the title. It's a total sham. At least he tells it like it is.

I'm sick of our leaders sucking up to the Power 5 and the current system. We need to speak out against the system and the lack of access for our teams. No other college sport works like this. There needs to be a larger playoff with equal access for every team in Division 1.

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 09:00 AM by First Mate.)
12-29-2016 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Group of 5 officials discussing a playoff separate from current 4 team playoff
(12-29-2016 08:50 AM)First Mate Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...er-5-teams

Interesting read- Aresco is emphatic that we are not in favor. I do agree with a lot of the points the Northern Illinois AD makes.

The truth is the Power 5 have created the current system for them and not the other schools. They have no intention of ever letting one of the outside schools play for the title. It's a total sham.

Just great! First the MAC fanboys flood our boards and now their commish wants to try and drag us into that g4 pit of irelavanc with them. 03-banghead
12-29-2016 08:59 AM
FUB Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis tigers
RE: Group of 5 officials discussing a playoff separate from current 4 team playoff
(12-29-2016 08:50 AM)First Mate Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...er-5-teams

The truth is the Power 5 have created the current system for them and not the other schools. They have no intention of ever letting one of the outside schools play for the title. It's a total sham. At least he tells it like it is.

I'm sick of our leaders sucking up to the Power 5 and the current system. We need to speak out against the system and the lack of access for our teams. No other college sport works like this. There needs to be a larger playoff with equal access for every team in Division 1.

The FBS is all about eyes on the games. You pull enough viewers and you'll be ok. You believe that mess the NIU ad is talking and you will be seeing Northern Iowa as a rival.
12-29-2016 09:05 AM
PurpleReigns Offline
I AM...PURPLE AND GOLD!

The only way I would like this idea is if on Super Bowl Saturday at the super bowl location you have P5 playoff champ vs G5 playoff champ for the national championship. It may be a smart way to show them how much a true 8-10 team playoff could make money wise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
12-29-2016 09:07 AM
FrancisDrake Offline
1st String

I Root For: Piecesof8
This is exactly what the entitle 5 want. They create the advantage then ride it out until the have nots make the decision to separate. They don't have to make the decision nor deal with any consequences.

The G4 can have it, NIU's official is full of crap. If Houston handles its business this it is very much in the CFP discussion and ranked in the top 7.
12-29-2016 09:07 AM
baruna falls Offline
All American

Wow,cant beleive the G4 would want this. Talk about a losers mentality.
12-29-2016 09:15 AM
Advertisement

KNIGHTTIME Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: '17 Natty Champ
G4 for life!
12-29-2016 09:23 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Jeez. What a complete waste of time that would be. So, the top non-power team goes to the access bowl and then 8 more vie for the second place in the non-power world? The general public would view this as a process designed to determine the 66th best team in college football (actually, the 67th best team since the #1 non-power team is busy in the access bowl).

The best option for the non-power schools is to create bowls that feature thier champs against high end teams from power conferences. The G5 blew it in 2013 when they created a bunch of low end junk bowls for 6-6 non-power teams. Yes, they did need more bowls---but what the non-power conferences REALLY lacked was decent post season destinations for thier champions. Invest the money in a series of "Champions Bowls" featuring non-power champions vs #3-#5 selections from the power conferences and you might really have something of value that ESPN might actually pay for. Not some silly playoff designed to crown the 67th best team in college football. ESPN isn't paying crap for non-power playoff. There's no pot of gold at the end of that rainbow. Aresco is right on this one. This is just setting the non-power conferences up for the firs lol breakaway by the power schools.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 09:27 AM by Attackcoog.)
First Mate Offline
1st String

(12-29-2016 09:15 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Wow,cant beleive the G4 would want this. Talk about a losers mentality.

No one wants this. I think the intention is to bring light to the fact that the current system is not fair and severely disadvantages the teams outside the cartel.

Instead of this crap he needs to be talking about an 8 or 16 team playoff with automatic access for the highest ranked G5 team or auto bids for all conference champions.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 09:27 AM by First Mate.)
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
02-13-bananaI hope Aresco helps the g4 in anyway possible to get that g4 puppy off the ground. Hey let's start a GoFundMe account to help those guys out. Yippee so long suckered lol02-13-banana
Attackcoog Offline

(12-29-2016 09:23 AM)First Mate Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 09:15 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Wow,cant beleive the G4 would want this. Talk about a losers mentality.

No one wants this. I think the intention is to bring light to the fact that the current system is not fair and severely disadvantages the teams outside the cartel.

Instead of this crap he needs to be talking about an 8 or 16 team playoff with automatic access for the highest ranked G5 team or auto bids for all conference champions.

One of two things would help---either expand the current playoff to 8 with the power conference chsmps getting automatic bids and the top non-power champ getting a slot in the playoff. Or--leave the playoff at 4, and place a representative from every FBS conference on the selection committee for a 10 member selection committee. Right now, the non-power schools have absolutely no voice in the committee room. 04-cheers
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 09:33 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-29-2016 09:31 AM
Advertisement

pesik Offline
Legend

American Conference commissioner Mike Aresco has no interest in it either.

"The answer is an emphatic no," Aresco said. "We compete for national championships like anyone else in FBS, including the Power 5, and have no interest in any kind of separate championship."

lol but seriously the article is so misleading... the real titlee should be niu ad wants g5 title, he interviewed 4 otherr people and they all strongly said no

"You mean compete for a junior varsity championship?" one Group of 5 AD said. "No thanks."
12-29-2016 09:39 AM
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
Wow, talk about the worst idea since the BCS. A better idea would be to just go back to the old Bowl System, and let the AP decide the National Champ. This is just dumb.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 09:41 AM by fanhood.)
12-29-2016 09:40 AM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(12-29-2016 09:40 AM)fanhood Wrote:  Wow, talk about the worst idea since the BCS. A better idea would be to just go back to the old Bowl System, and let the AP decide the National Champ. This is just dumb.

Are you fine with the current system? I think sitting idly by and signing off on the current setup is equally dumb.

We need to push back for more access not separate further.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2016 09:51 AM by First Mate.)
12-29-2016 09:46 AM
pesik Offline
Legend

(12-29-2016 09:46 AM)First Mate Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 09:40 AM)fanhood Wrote:  Wow, talk about the worst idea since the BCS. A better idea would be to just go back to the old Bowl System, and let the AP decide the National Champ. This is just dumb.

Are you fine with the current system?

yes, in the sense that everyone knows 8 is coming....

a g5 playoff could killl us before our real window opens up
12-29-2016 09:48 AM
Weatherdemon Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tulsa
I'm not sure how this will help revenue.

P5 viewers will care less about G5 game and vie versa.

Alienating the respective fans of each side seems like a backward arse idea if you're trying to increase revenue.
12-29-2016 09:50 AM
Advertisement

bit_9 Offline

I Root For: ODU
I'm with Aresco. Absolutely no. If those teams want to drop down to FCS so be it. Or expand the playoffs to 8 teams. It wouldn't work if a WMU or Houston, or hell even if we have a miracle season and beat VT and UNC next year. Then what? We get a pat on the head and they send us to the "G5 Playoff?" No thanks.
12-29-2016 09:50 AM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(12-29-2016 09:48 AM)pesik Wrote:  

Maybe, but when will 8 come? Sitting around and hoping to be thrown a bone when it goes to 8 is foolish. They would probably just make it 5 power champs plus 3 wild cards and not give auto access to G5 champ. Then where would we be??

Nowhere just like now. Our leaders need to push for automatic access to the playoff. Nothing less.
12-29-2016 09:53 AM
First Mate Offline
1st String

(12-29-2016 09:50 AM)bit_9 Wrote:  I'm with Aresco. Absolutely no. If those teams want to drop down to FCS so be it. Or expand the playoffs to 8 teams. It wouldn't work if a WMU or Houston, or hell even if we have a miracle season and beat VT and UNC next year. Then what? We get a pat on the head and they send us to the "G5 Playoff?" No thanks.

If you read the article he proposes keeping the current auto slot in the Ny6 bowl. So you'd get that bid if you ran the table. The playoff this guy proposes would be outside the current system but not exclude anyone from the current stuff.

Just clarifying, not saying I agree with it.
12-29-2016 09:55 AM
fanhood Offline
All American

I Root For: San Diego State
(12-29-2016 09:53 AM)First Mate Wrote:  
(12-29-2016 09:48 AM)pesik Wrote:  

Maybe, but when will 8 come? Sitting around and hoping to be thrown a bone when it goes to 8 is foolish. They would probably just make it 5 power champs plus 3 wild cards and not give auto access to G5 champ. Then where would we be??

Nowhere just like now. Our leaders need to push for automatic access to the playoff. Nothing less.

No, when it goes to 8, the five P5 Champs will get Auto-Bids, the G5, will get one bid, and their will be two wild-cards. History indicates as such.
12-29-2016 09:58 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.